PDA

View Full Version : Cat is limping

blkcatgal
November 13th 05, 12:36 AM
My 16 year old cat began limping 2 days ago. He was fine in the morning and
when I came home from work, he was limping on his front leg. I'm not sure
how he may have hurt himself, if that's the case, but it may be that he fell
or tripped on the basement stairs because when I came home from work that
day the basement door (which is usually closed and the cats don't usually
have access to the basement) was opened. The limping doesn't seem to deter
him from jumping up on the couch or bed. And I've checked the leg out and
it isn't swollen or anything. And otherwise he's acting normal.

I'll have him checked by the vet if he doesn't improve in the next day or so
but my question is can cats get muscle pulls or strains, etc. like humans?

Sue

Joe Canuck
November 13th 05, 12:53 AM
blkcatgal wrote:
> My 16 year old cat began limping 2 days ago. He was fine in the morning and
> when I came home from work, he was limping on his front leg. I'm not sure
> how he may have hurt himself, if that's the case, but it may be that he fell
> or tripped on the basement stairs because when I came home from work that
> day the basement door (which is usually closed and the cats don't usually
> have access to the basement) was opened. The limping doesn't seem to deter
> him from jumping up on the couch or bed. And I've checked the leg out and
> it isn't swollen or anything. And otherwise he's acting normal.
>
> I'll have him checked by the vet if he doesn't improve in the next day or so
> but my question is can cats get muscle pulls or strains, etc. like humans?
>
> Sue

Check the paw and pads.

cybercat
November 13th 05, 01:24 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> My 16 year old cat began limping 2 days ago. He was fine in the morning
and
> when I came home from work, he was limping on his front leg. I'm not sure
> how he may have hurt himself, if that's the case, but it may be that he
fell
> or tripped on the basement stairs because when I came home from work that
> day the basement door (which is usually closed and the cats don't usually
> have access to the basement) was opened. The limping doesn't seem to
deter
> him from jumping up on the couch or bed. And I've checked the leg out and
> it isn't swollen or anything. And otherwise he's acting normal.
>
> I'll have him checked by the vet if he doesn't improve in the next day or
so
> but my question is can cats get muscle pulls or strains, etc. like humans?

Yes! I flipped out because my little tabby was limping and wincing when
she put weight on one of her back legs. (She had a new cat shelf and I
*knew* she must have slipped getting up there because she was not
yet used to it.) Took her to Emergency Care, where she refused to limp.
Later that night she was clearly in pain, so the next day I took her to my
vet, where she refused to limp AND jumped from the floor to the table
and back again with no sign of pain. An hour after we got home, she was
wincing and cringing again. I actually took her back to the after hours
place where she again refused to limp! This time I made them give me
kitty narcotics in case she showed symptoms of pain--more for me
than for her, as I was clearly having more trouble with her being in
pain than SHE was. The next day she was fine and never showed
a problem with that leg again.

Point: if you can STAND to, you might wait a day and see what
happens. But of course that limp might be a symptom of something
serious. *sigh* That is always the risk you take when you wait. I will
always err on the side of superfluous vet care rather than scanty vet
care, but that's just me.

MaryL
November 13th 05, 01:39 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> My 16 year old cat began limping 2 days ago. He was fine in the morning
> and when I came home from work, he was limping on his front leg. I'm not
> sure how he may have hurt himself, if that's the case, but it may be that
> he fell or tripped on the basement stairs because when I came home from
> work that day the basement door (which is usually closed and the cats
> don't usually have access to the basement) was opened. The limping
> doesn't seem to deter him from jumping up on the couch or bed. And I've
> checked the leg out and it isn't swollen or anything. And otherwise he's
> acting normal.
>
> I'll have him checked by the vet if he doesn't improve in the next day or
> so but my question is can cats get muscle pulls or strains, etc. like
> humans?
>
> Sue

I would take the cat to a vet for examination. Cats are well known to hide
pain, so this is probably a sign of significant discomfort. Earlier this
year, I had a similar situation with Holly. She was fine one night and was
limping the next morning. I checked carefully and couldn't see anything,
but I took her to the vet that afternoon. He found a small cut on on pad,
but it didn't appear to be serious. He said it was the type of cut that
might have come from some small object such as a carpet tack that might work
its way up through the carpet. Holly is a solid black cat, and her pads are
also black, so it was very difficult (even for the vet) to see anything, but
the cut was small and didn't appear to be serious. He prescribed some
antibiotics.

The next morning, she was limping *very* badly, and it was obvious that she
was in severe pain. So, we went back to the vet. The pad had become
noticeably swollen overnight. This time, the vet used gas anesthetic so he
could probe the wound more thoroughly. It's a good thing he did. He told
me later that pus flew from the wound as soon as he made an incision, and he
discovered that there was an absess underneath. This means that poor Holly
had the cut for some time but had hidden the discomfort. It also could have
turned into something much more serious if it had not been taken care of.

So, my advice is to err on the side of caution and take your cat to the vet.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

November 13th 05, 01:41 AM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote > >
> > I'll have him checked by the vet if he doesn't improve in the next day
or
> > so but my question is can cats get muscle pulls or strains, etc. like
> > humans?
> >
> > Sue
> >

> I would take the cat to a vet for examination. Cats are well known to
hide
> pain, so this is probably a sign of significant discomfort.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I took my girl in to the vet,
and why I had the heebie jeebies. If she was actually wincing AND
limping, it had to really hurt. But then again, if you have ever had a
soft tissue injury like a sprain, you know how bad they hurt and there
really isn't anything a doctor can do, you just have to wait it out and
apply cold compresses. Or is it warm? I forget as it has been a while.

5cats
November 13th 05, 02:32 AM
cybercat wrote:

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote > >
>> > I'll have him checked by the vet if he doesn't improve in the next
day
> or
>> > so but my question is can cats get muscle pulls or strains, etc.
like
>> > humans?
>> >
>> > Sue
>> >

>> I would take the cat to a vet for examination. Cats are well known to
> hide
>> pain, so this is probably a sign of significant discomfort.
>

> This is exactly what I was thinking when I took my girl in to the vet,
> and why I had the heebie jeebies. If she was actually wincing AND
> limping, it had to really hurt. But then again, if you have ever had a
> soft tissue injury like a sprain, you know how bad they hurt and there
> really isn't anything a doctor can do, you just have to wait it out and
> apply cold compresses. Or is it warm? I forget as it has been a while.

George had some type of sprain earlier this year and I carted him off to
the vet. As you said, not much to do for it but let it heal. The vet did
give him some painkillers which had the side effect of keeping George a
bit drowsy and less likely to be jumping around & re-injuring the leg.
Since you can't exactly tell a cat to "take it easy for a few days".

jmc
November 13th 05, 08:42 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Joe Canuck exclaimed (13-Nov-05 12:53 AM):
> blkcatgal wrote:
>
>> My 16 year old cat began limping 2 days ago. He was fine in the
>> morning and when I came home from work, he was limping on his front
>> leg. I'm not sure how he may have hurt himself, if that's the case,
>> but it may be that he fell or tripped on the basement stairs because
>> when I came home from work that day the basement door (which is
>> usually closed and the cats don't usually have access to the basement)
>> was opened. The limping doesn't seem to deter him from jumping up on
>> the couch or bed. And I've checked the leg out and it isn't swollen
>> or anything. And otherwise he's acting normal.
>>
>> I'll have him checked by the vet if he doesn't improve in the next day
>> or so but my question is can cats get muscle pulls or strains, etc.
>> like humans?
>>
>> Sue
>>

> Check the paw and pads.

And the claws. Cats can get nailbed infections too - Meep's had them in
the past.

jmc

Joe Canuck
November 13th 05, 01:16 PM
Brandy Alexandre > wrote:

> 5cats > wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>

>>cybercat wrote:
>>

>>>"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote > >

>>day
>>
>>>or

>>like

>>>hide

>>>This is exactly what I was thinking when I took my girl in to the
>>>vet, and why I had the heebie jeebies. If she was actually
>>>wincing AND limping, it had to really hurt. But then again, if
>>>you have ever had a soft tissue injury like a sprain, you know
>>>how bad they hurt and there really isn't anything a doctor can
>>>do, you just have to wait it out and apply cold compresses. Or is
>>>it warm? I forget as it has been a while.
>>>

>>George had some type of sprain earlier this year and I carted him
>>off to the vet. As you said, not much to do for it but let it
>>heal. The vet did give him some painkillers which had the side
>>effect of keeping George a bit drowsy and less likely to be
>>jumping around & re-injuring the leg. Since you can't exactly tell
>>a cat to "take it easy for a few days".
>>

> Kami limps periodically.

This likely coincides with those times you are unable to be on the
newsgroups to prevent your taking out of your frustrations on her.

> I asked the vet if I should keep her from
> jumping at any opportunity and she said to let her jump. Even if
> she was in pain, apparently being unable to be a cat was more
> destructive. So, she jumps. She SPLATS, but she jumps. To date no
> pain meds have been prescribed.
>
> On the injury note, when Kami recently had a kindey attack I thought
> she was screaming because she injured herself. Luckily not, but any
> sudden change should be looked at by a real vet.

Phil P.
November 13th 05, 03:28 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> My 16 year old cat began limping 2 days ago. He was fine in the morning
and
> when I came home from work, he was limping on his front leg.

Which leg, Sue, right or left? There's a reason for asking.

Phil

blkcatgal
November 13th 05, 03:43 PM
It's the left front leg.

"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>> My 16 year old cat began limping 2 days ago. He was fine in the morning
> and
>> when I came home from work, he was limping on his front leg.
>
> Which leg, Sue, right or left? There's a reason for asking.
>
> Phil

Phil P.
November 13th 05, 03:54 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> It's the left front leg.

That's a relief!

If he's still limping, feel his paw, see it feels as warm as the right.
Also look at his clawbeds for any tinge of blue or cyan. If his paw is
cooler and/or you see any blueish color around the clawbeds, take him to a
vet right away.

Its probably just a strain.

Good luck,

Phil

blkcatgal
November 13th 05, 04:17 PM
Thanks, Phil. The paw is warm, same as the right, and no blueish color
around the claws. He is still limping, though, and since he's due for a vet
exam anyway, I think I'll try to get him in tomorrow.

"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>> It's the left front leg.
>
> That's a relief!
>
> If he's still limping, feel his paw, see it feels as warm as the right.
> Also look at his clawbeds for any tinge of blue or cyan. If his paw is
> cooler and/or you see any blueish color around the clawbeds, take him to a
> vet right away.
>
> Its probably just a strain.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Phil

chas
November 13th 05, 04:29 PM
A few years back a cat I had sprained his ankle!

This was what the vet diagnosed. So it seems cats do have things commonly
attributed to humans.

My currant cat was diagnosed with a sore throat earlier this year!

chas

Joe Canuck
November 13th 05, 04:53 PM
chas wrote:

> A few years back a cat I had sprained his ankle!
>
> This was what the vet diagnosed. So it seems cats do have things commonly
> attributed to humans.
>
> My currant cat was diagnosed with a sore throat earlier this year!
>
> chas

My cat is sleeping most of the time, perhaps depression is the diagnosis.

:-D

cybercat
November 13th 05, 05:31 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> > It's the left front leg.
>
> That's a relief!

Okay, Phil, you have to explain the significance of right or left!

cybercat
November 13th 05, 05:32 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> Thanks, Phil. The paw is warm, same as the right, and no blueish color
> around the claws. He is still limping, though, and since he's due for a
vet
> exam anyway, I think I'll try to get him in tomorrow.

I think that's a great idea.

blkcatgal
November 13th 05, 05:50 PM
Yep, this same cat had a sore throat too awhile back. He had lost his voice
and the vet said his throat was pretty inflamed.

"chas" > wrote in message
>A few years back a cat I had sprained his ankle!
>
> This was what the vet diagnosed. So it seems cats do have things commonly
> attributed to humans.
>
> My currant cat was diagnosed with a sore throat earlier this year!
>
> chas

cybercat
November 13th 05, 06:15 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Yep, this same cat had a sore throat too awhile back. He had lost his
voice
> and the vet said his throat was pretty inflamed.

Poor little thing.

Phil P.
November 13th 05, 06:47 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> Thanks, Phil. The paw is warm, same as the right, and no blueish color
> around the claws.

That's a big relief! ;-) You took a load of worry off my mind.

He is still limping, though, and since he's due for a vet
> exam anyway, I think I'll try to get him in tomorrow.

Good plan. Let me know what the problem is-- probably just a sprain or
strain.

Good luck,

Phil.

Phil P.
November 13th 05, 06:48 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >
> > "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> > > It's the left front leg.
> >
> > That's a relief!
> >

> Okay, Phil, you have to explain the significance of right or left!

Cats can have an embolism in the right brachial artery, but very rarely in
the left brachial artery.

cybercat
November 13th 05, 07:14 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > > That's a relief!
> > >

> > Okay, Phil, you have to explain the significance of right or left!
>
> Cats can have an embolism in the right brachial artery, but very rarely in
> the left brachial artery.

I see. Interesting. So if they show any sign of pain or weakness in the
right front leg it might warrant a vet visit asap.

Phil P.
November 13th 05, 07:23 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message

> > > Okay, Phil, you have to explain the significance of right or left!
> >
> > Cats can have an embolism in the right brachial artery, but very rarely
in
> > the left brachial artery.
> >

> I see. Interesting. So if they show any sign of pain or weakness in the
> right front leg it might warrant a vet visit asap.

Let me put it this way- an embolism is definitely a differential in a cat
with a right front limp and no apparent injuries.

Frank Pittel
November 13th 05, 07:31 PM
blkcatgal > wrote:
: My 16 year old cat began limping 2 days ago. He was fine in the morning and
: when I came home from work, he was limping on his front leg. I'm not sure
: how he may have hurt himself, if that's the case, but it may be that he fell
: or tripped on the basement stairs because when I came home from work that
: day the basement door (which is usually closed and the cats don't usually
: have access to the basement) was opened. The limping doesn't seem to deter
: him from jumping up on the couch or bed. And I've checked the leg out and
: it isn't swollen or anything. And otherwise he's acting normal.

: I'll have him checked by the vet if he doesn't improve in the next day or so
: but my question is can cats get muscle pulls or strains, etc. like humans?

The odds are the injury won't heal in a couple of days. Even if you don't see
him limp any more. A cat is a preditor and as a preditor knows that being injured
makes him a target for other preditors. As a result every instinct he has makes
him want to hide the injury. For him to be hurt to the point were he can't hide
it any more means that he is very hurt.

As a side note he may have just gotten a "booboo" (my term). I have a year old
cat that managed to hurt his rear hip last summer. He couldn't run or jump and
barely was able to walk. Since he was due at the vet within a week of me first
noticing it and nothing seemed broked or cut I waited until his next visit. (He
was a young kitten and needed his shots.) By the time I got him to the vet he
was doing a lot better but even the vet saw him limping but could find nothing
wrong. He mentioned the concept of a "booboo" and we agreed that since it was
getting better we would let him go for another week to see how it improved.
Within the week he was fine and running like a maniac kitten.

Of course he was a kitten and not a 16 year old cat. I would get the cat to a
vet as soon as possible.

--

-------------------

Frank Pittel
November 13th 05, 07:34 PM
chas > wrote:
: A few years back a cat I had sprained his ankle!

: This was what the vet diagnosed. So it seems cats do have things commonly
: attributed to humans.

: My currant cat was diagnosed with a sore throat earlier this year!

I'm surprised they don't sprain, twist or jarr<SP?) joints more often then
they do. Given all the jumping, climbing, falling, running into things that
they do.

--

-------------------

blkcatgal
November 15th 05, 04:27 AM
Took my cat to the vet today. The vet didn't feel anything wrong with his
leg. Suspects it may be a strain or sprain. She put him on metacam for
about 4 days. If he doesn't improve after that, she wants to take some
xrays. Hopefully we won't have to go that route. Keep those paws crossed.

Sue
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>> Thanks, Phil. The paw is warm, same as the right, and no blueish color
>> around the claws.
>
> That's a big relief! ;-) You took a load of worry off my mind.
>

> He is still limping, though, and since he's due for a vet
>> exam anyway, I think I'll try to get him in tomorrow.
>
> Good plan. Let me know what the problem is-- probably just a sprain or
> strain.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Phil.

cybercat
November 15th 05, 05:37 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> Took my cat to the vet today. The vet didn't feel anything wrong with his
> leg. Suspects it may be a strain or sprain.

So it is the same thing my kitty did. Great news.

Phil P.
November 15th 05, 07:29 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> Took my cat to the vet today. The vet didn't feel anything wrong with his
> leg. Suspects it may be a strain or sprain. She put him on metacam for
> about 4 days. If he doesn't improve after that, she wants to take some
> xrays. Hopefully we won't have to go that route. Keep those paws
crossed.

> Sue

..
If it doesn't resolve in a day or two- I'd take him in again. Since you'll
be getting x-rays- its a good excuse to get a shot of his heart and
digestive system, too, to look for things that shouldn't be there or might
be starting to grow. He's at that age where we have to take precautions.
X-rays are great for the peace of mind.

Thanks for the update.

Best of luck,

Phil

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >
> > "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> >> Thanks, Phil. The paw is warm, same as the right, and no blueish color
> >> around the claws.
> >
> > That's a big relief! ;-) You took a load of worry off my mind.
> >

> > He is still limping, though, and since he's due for a vet
> >> exam anyway, I think I'll try to get him in tomorrow.
> >
> > Good plan. Let me know what the problem is-- probably just a sprain or
> > strain.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Phil.

Wendy
November 16th 05, 11:25 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Yep, this same cat had a sore throat too awhile back. He had lost his
> voice and the vet said his throat was pretty inflamed.
>
> "chas" > wrote in message
>>A few years back a cat I had sprained his ankle!
>>
>> This was what the vet diagnosed. So it seems cats do have things commonly
>> attributed to humans.
>>
>> My currant cat was diagnosed with a sore throat earlier this year!
>>
>> chas

Do cats have tonsils?