PDA

View Full Version : Bach Rescue Remedy for kitten?

Ali-Reza Anghaie
November 13th 05, 07:50 AM
Bach's Rescue Remedy came highly recommended by two other cat owners I
know. Upon further investigation it appears the mixture is carried in
alcohol. My gut tells me any relaxing effect has to do with the alcohol
and not the flowers. All I'm looking for is a non-sedative way of
calming my eleven week old kitten before two flights. Thoughts? Is
Rescue Remedy worth it and how much do you dose the cats? -Ali

November 13th 05, 10:39 AM
in the uk there is something sold to calm dogs and cats on fireworks night.
It was in the local pet shop.

http://www.petfoodstore.co.uk/acatalog/Calming_Products.html
there you go, best of luck.

whayface
November 13th 05, 01:39 PM
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:50:11 -0600, Ali-Reza Anghaie > wrote:

>Bach's Rescue Remedy came highly recommended by two other cat owners I
>know. Upon further investigation it appears the mixture is carried in
>alcohol. My gut tells me any relaxing effect has to do with the alcohol
>and not the flowers. All I'm looking for is a non-sedative way of
>calming my eleven week old kitten before two flights. Thoughts? Is
>Rescue Remedy worth it and how much do you dose the cats? -Ali

Have you thought about asking your vet about what to do or to get something safe for your
baby from the vet??

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/strays.htm

Ali-Reza Anghaie
November 13th 05, 02:32 PM
In rec.pets.cats.health+behav whayface > wrote:
> Have you thought about asking your vet about what to do or to get something safe for your
> baby from the vet??

I see the vet Monday and am planning to ask but I'm afraid I'll just get
a sedative which I really want to avoid (unless, of course, it's
demonstrably safer than liquoring up kitty ;-)). -Ali

blkcatgal
November 13th 05, 04:21 PM
You usually mix about 5 drops of the RR into about 1 oz of spring water.
Then you would give the cat about 10 drops of that water. Or you can also
rub a drop into the inside of the ear.

But if you have any concerns, check with your vet.

"Ali-Reza Anghaie" > wrote in message
> Bach's Rescue Remedy came highly recommended by two other cat owners I
> know. Upon further investigation it appears the mixture is carried in
> alcohol. My gut tells me any relaxing effect has to do with the alcohol
> and not the flowers. All I'm looking for is a non-sedative way of
> calming my eleven week old kitten before two flights. Thoughts? Is
> Rescue Remedy worth it and how much do you dose the cats? -Ali

Dr.Carla,DVM
November 14th 05, 07:32 PM
My vet mentor is educated in herbal remedies and advises "Rescue Remedy" use
in some dogs. I would suggest find a vet that uses the herbal and ask them.

"Ali-Reza Anghaie" > wrote in message
> Bach's Rescue Remedy came highly recommended by two other cat owners I
> know. Upon further investigation it appears the mixture is carried in
> alcohol. My gut tells me any relaxing effect has to do with the alcohol
> and not the flowers. All I'm looking for is a non-sedative way of
> calming my eleven week old kitten before two flights. Thoughts? Is
> Rescue Remedy worth it and how much do you dose the cats? -Ali

PawsForThought
November 15th 05, 03:18 PM
Ali-Reza Anghaie wrote:
> Bach's Rescue Remedy came highly recommended by two other cat owners I
> know. Upon further investigation it appears the mixture is carried in
> alcohol. My gut tells me any relaxing effect has to do with the alcohol
> and not the flowers. All I'm looking for is a non-sedative way of
> calming my eleven week old kitten before two flights. Thoughts? Is
> Rescue Remedy worth it and how much do you dose the cats? -Ali

One thing you can try is to put some rescue remedy in a spoon and let
it set out for a while. This helps dissipate the alcohol. Here are a
couple of websites you might find interesting:

http://www.petsynergy.com/flower.html#C1

http://www.catfaeries.com/

PawsForThought
November 15th 05, 03:22 PM
Ali-Reza Anghaie wrote:
> In rec.pets.cats.health+behav whayface > wrote:
> > Have you thought about asking your vet about what to do or to get something safe for your
> > baby from the vet??
>
> I see the vet Monday and am planning to ask but I'm afraid I'll just get
> a sedative which I really want to avoid (unless, of course, it's
> demonstrably safer than liquoring up kitty ;-)). -Ali

I strongly recommend against using sedating drugs on your kitten. I
don't know any reputable vets that would recommend this for a kitten,
and using for purposes of sedating on an airplane. They do make flower
essences (rescue remedy) for human children that does not contain
alcohol, but rather a glycerine base.

Ali-Reza Anghaie
November 16th 05, 10:14 PM
In rec.pets.cats.health+behav blkcatgal > wrote:
> You usually mix about 5 drops of the RR into about 1 oz of spring water.
> Then you would give the cat about 10 drops of that water. Or you can also
> rub a drop into the inside of the ear.

Rub one drop of the new diluted solution or the original strength?

> But if you have any concerns, check with your vet.

She didn't really have an opinion. And I'm undecided too. Just curious.

-Ali

whitershadeofpale
November 17th 05, 12:58 AM
Ali-Reza Anghaie wrote:
>Thoughts? Is
> Rescue Remedy worth it and how much do you dose the cats? -Ali

along the same lines...

I met a lady this past weekend, she has dogs.

Her vet gave her a sedative for her dog (tranquilizer of sorts)...

This lady accidently took the dogs chill pill...

by mid day..she couldn't lift her head from her desk...
She called the poison control center...they tell her...(oh it's ok,
yule be fine...blah blah)

She barely makes it home and calls the vet...the vet says...it's a
wonder that you are even alive..as

pet meds are not the same as people meds. (we know this, but you
wouldn't think so)

He told her, she had taken the equivalent of 10 sleeping pills, in the
one dog chill pill.

November 18th 05, 02:59 AM
I would agree about talking with your vet. Remeber they will not give
you a sedative if you do not want it for your kitten. If they are
pushing something you don't want you might want to find another vet.
If you do not consult a vet before dosing your kitten with even herbal
meds be very carefull esp. with a growing kitten