PDA

View Full Version : Ping Phil

No More Retail
November 14th 05, 12:10 AM
Phil check your website's email Please.
I sent one earlier today with an important question. If you did not get it
I will post it here

Phil P.
November 14th 05, 05:31 AM
"No More Retail" > wrote in message
> Phil check your website's email Please.
> I sent one earlier today with an important question. If you did not get
it
> I will post it here

Just got it. I don't down load email from my site until I get home.

My reply is on the way.

No More Retail
November 14th 05, 06:41 AM
Thank you Phil I am going to show your info to the shelter manager. We had
a discussion yesterday about taking some of the animals to help in the
quarantine issue. I bring up the stuff the vets left out. Thank you Phil

We keep the firballs away from the general pop until all vaccinations can
take effect. Years ago we had a stupid worker do the same thing I described
in my email. He took a kitten put him in the general pop no separation
well the kitten had distemper you can imagine the results than is when we
instated the long term separation policy

Thanks again Phil

Matthew aka No More Retail

Phil P.
November 14th 05, 07:36 PM
"No More Retail" > wrote in message
> Thank you Phil I am going to show your info to the shelter manager. We
had
> a discussion yesterday about taking some of the animals to help in the
> quarantine issue. I bring up the stuff the vets left out. Thank you Phil
>
> We keep the firballs away from the general pop until all vaccinations can
> take effect. Years ago we had a stupid worker do the same thing I
described
> in my email. He took a kitten put him in the general pop no separation
> well the kitten had distemper you can imagine the results than is when we
> instated the long term separation policy
>
> Thanks again Phil

You're welcome.

Other than the vaccines I mentioned and quarantine, the most effective
measure against parvovirus is disinfection since the virus remains infective
in the environment for ~ 1 year or more and can be carried around on
clothes, shoes and hands. Other than the bleach solution I mentioned, you
might want to mention Virkon S to the shelter manager- it completely
inactivates feline and canine parvovirus and just about every other feline
virus and bacteria and fungus- including ringworm (Feline Calicivirus.
Feline Herpes Virus [Feline Rhinotracheitis Virus], Feline Infectious
Peritonitis Virus [Feline Coronavirus], Feline Panleukopenia Virus [Feline
Parvovirus]. Its completely safe to use on cat cages- its not a quat or
phenol and has no odor. Costs about $55/10 lbs. At a 1% solution (1:100),
1.3 oz. makes a gallon- 10 lbs makes about 123 gallons. In FLA, you can get
it 1-877-996-2635.

The most important thing to remember is never put a new cat in a cage that
hasn't been disinfected or let her use litterboxes or bowls that haven't
been disinfected. Many cats can carry the virus, shed it, and extinguish it
without ever developing symptoms.
Given your shelter's present situation, I'd seriously consider testing the
cats for parvovirus with the CITE Canine Parvovirus Snap Test Kit (Idexx
Labs). The Canine Snap works just as effectively with cat poop as dog poop
for detecting parvo and only takes 10 minutes- no blood draw is required so
if you can tie your own shoe laces you can run the tests yourselves
in-house- that's how simple they are. The kits run about $10- (vets charge
$30-$45).

Good luck,

Phil

No More Retail
November 14th 05, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the extra info the nice thing about out shelter if they need
anything extra out for m our budget I just write a check to get it done.