PDA

View Full Version : Any good vets in the (North-) West Houston area?

Zer0 Voltage
November 14th 05, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I will soon be relocating to the north-west Houston area - zip 77084,
near Bear Creek Park and east of Katy for those familiar with the area.
Off route 6, north of 10 and south of 290. More west than north I
suppose.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good vet in that area or anywhree
within a 30 minute drive of it? Availability on at least one weekend
day would be best.

I have two very old cats, so someone specializing in senior cat issues
(inc. arthritis) would be ideal.

My older male has kidney problems (chronic renal failure) and requires
sub-cutaneous (IV) fluid therapy with a 0.9% sodium chloride solution
every three days. So also ideal would be a vet familiar with this
treatment and what to watch for in cats receiving it. At the very
least, I could use someone who always has a supply of this stuff on
hand.

That same male also requires Hill's Prescription Diet k/d Dry and my
other cat needs Hill's Prescription Diet m/d Dry to avoid becoming very
sick (although we've never figured out why). Hopefully this shouldn't
be an issue with any vet, but I would like to find one who keeps both in
stock.

And since both are so old and can get very sick very quickly, I'd also
be interested in knowing about any good 24/7 emergency centers in the
area. I don't mind if my primary vet doesn't practice within such a
clinic - but if not, I'd like to know where a good one is.

Thanks very much!

- 0V

CatNipped
November 14th 05, 11:13 PM
"Zer0 Voltage" > wrote in message
T...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I will soon be relocating to the north-west Houston area - zip 77084,
> near Bear Creek Park and east of Katy for those familiar with the area.
> Off route 6, north of 10 and south of 290. More west than north I
> suppose.
>
> Would anyone be able to recommend a good vet in that area or anywhree
> within a 30 minute drive of it? Availability on at least one weekend
> day would be best.
>
> I have two very old cats, so someone specializing in senior cat issues
> (inc. arthritis) would be ideal.
>
> My older male has kidney problems (chronic renal failure) and requires
> sub-cutaneous (IV) fluid therapy with a 0.9% sodium chloride solution
> every three days. So also ideal would be a vet familiar with this
> treatment and what to watch for in cats receiving it. At the very
> least, I could use someone who always has a supply of this stuff on
> hand.
>
> That same male also requires Hill's Prescription Diet k/d Dry and my
> other cat needs Hill's Prescription Diet m/d Dry to avoid becoming very
> sick (although we've never figured out why). Hopefully this shouldn't
> be an issue with any vet, but I would like to find one who keeps both in
> stock.
>
> And since both are so old and can get very sick very quickly, I'd also
> be interested in knowing about any good 24/7 emergency centers in the
> area. I don't mind if my primary vet doesn't practice within such a
> clinic - but if not, I'd like to know where a good one is.
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> - 0V

Fry Road Veterinary Hospital is *EXCELLENT*. I live in Spring, so I go to
"Just Cats" in The Woodlands, but that would be pretty far for you. They're
not a 24/7 clinic, but they work with one.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Houston Legal Secretary
November 15th 05, 04:22 AM
"Zer0 Voltage" > wrote in message
T...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I will soon be relocating to the north-west Houston area - zip 77084,
> near Bear Creek Park and east of Katy for those familiar with the area.
> Off route 6, north of 10 and south of 290. More west than north I
> suppose.
>
> Would anyone be able to recommend a good vet in that area or anywhree
> within a 30 minute drive of it? Availability on at least one weekend
> day would be best.
This veterinary clinic is in Spring Branch. They cater to older animals,
cats and dogs alike, and have a very safe anesthesia that is much safer for
older animals. And it's open until 5PM on Saturdays.

VCA Spring Branch Animal Hospital
Dr. Steve Pelton, DVM
10109 Longpoint Road
Houston, TX 77043
713/461-1121

But I highly recommend this veterinary clinic specializing in cats:

The Cat Clinic
Dr. Paula Runte, DVM
2125 West Alabama (Montrose area)
Houston, TX 77098
713/523-5171

It's more of a drive than you like, but well worth it to see that your guys
get quality care specifically geared toward cats. But I also do recommend
the vet on Longpoint.

Do not confuse The Cat Clinic with All Cats Clinic. They are located in
Meyerland/Bellaire/Stella Link area. When I first moved here, I called them
to see if they would groom my Persian. Their instructions to me were to be
sure he didn't eat for 12 hours beforehand. When I asked why, they said,
"because of the sedative we give." I figure anyone who can't handle a
mellow old Persian without giving him a sedative didn't know how to handle
cats period. It was then that I found Dr. Runte.

HLS

Zer0 Voltage
November 16th 05, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the responses CatNipped and HLS!

CatNipped - I will definately check out Fry Road.

HLS - I will check out the VCA Hospital, but The Cat Clinic would be
out. It's not a matter of inconvenience for me, it's a matter of the
patients well being. I'd drive 100 miles if it meant access to a great
vet, but my cats just can't handle it. They're too old and the stress
of the transport is getting too hard for them to handle. The elder one
often has trouble walking for a day afterwards and can't eat just from
the stress. I'm actually even considering finding a mobile vet that
will come to my home for most stuff and only taking them somewhere when
urgent. Plus, I need someplace I can get to relitively fast in an
emergency - which a cat with CRF can have very suddenly.

I did some web searching and also found a few other places that will be
close:

Animal Emergency Center of West Houston (http://www.aecwh.com/)
Bear Creek Animal Clinic (http://bearcreekanimalclinic.citysearch.com/)
Highland Knolls Veterinary Hospital (http://www.vetgateusa.com/)
Houston Cat Hospital (http://www.houstoncathospital.net/)
Katy Veterinary Clinic (http://www.katyvetclinic.com/)
Memorial Cat Hospital (http://www.catdoctors.cc/)
Northline Veterinary Clinic (http://www.northlinevet.com/)
VCA Telge Road Animal Hospital (http://www.vcatelgeroad.com/)

Is anyone familiar with any of these places?

Do any fall into a "recommended" category - or, more importantly, into
an "AVOID!" category?

I'm going to make a list and then go visit all the places once I'm
there. See who carries what I need and which places look best.

Thanks again!

- 0V

CatNipped
November 16th 05, 03:14 AM
"Zer0 Voltage" > wrote in message
T...
> Thanks for the responses CatNipped and HLS!
>
> CatNipped - I will definately check out Fry Road.
>
> HLS - I will check out the VCA Hospital, but The Cat Clinic would be
> out. It's not a matter of inconvenience for me, it's a matter of the
> patients well being. I'd drive 100 miles if it meant access to a great
> vet, but my cats just can't handle it. They're too old and the stress
> of the transport is getting too hard for them to handle. The elder one
> often has trouble walking for a day afterwards and can't eat just from
> the stress. I'm actually even considering finding a mobile vet that
> will come to my home for most stuff and only taking them somewhere when
> urgent. Plus, I need someplace I can get to relitively fast in an
> emergency - which a cat with CRF can have very suddenly.
>
> I did some web searching and also found a few other places that will be
> close:
>
> Animal Emergency Center of West Houston (http://www.aecwh.com/)
> Bear Creek Animal Clinic (http://bearcreekanimalclinic.citysearch.com/)
> Highland Knolls Veterinary Hospital (http://www.vetgateusa.com/)
> Houston Cat Hospital (http://www.houstoncathospital.net/)
> Katy Veterinary Clinic (http://www.katyvetclinic.com/)
> Memorial Cat Hospital (http://www.catdoctors.cc/)
> Northline Veterinary Clinic (http://www.northlinevet.com/)
> VCA Telge Road Animal Hospital (http://www.vcatelgeroad.com/)
>
> Is anyone familiar with any of these places?

Sorry, but I lucked out with finding Fry Road Animal Clinic when I moved to
Houston in 1991 - they were right down the road from us - so I didn't try
anyone else in that area.

Dr. Neel Brice is the *only* vet who has ever been able to actually handle
Bandit without her taking his arm off. All other vets since, no matter how
good they might be, just don't have his "touch" with my difficult girl. I'd
still be going to them even though it's more than an hour's drive away for
me now, but like you I'd rather be closer to my vet in case of an emergency.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Do any fall into a "recommended" category - or, more importantly, into
> an "AVOID!" category?
>
> I'm going to make a list and then go visit all the places once I'm
> there. See who carries what I need and which places look best.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> - 0V

CatNipped
November 16th 05, 03:16 AM
"Zer0 Voltage" > wrote in message
T...
> Thanks for the responses CatNipped and HLS!
>
> CatNipped - I will definately check out Fry Road.
>
> HLS - I will check out the VCA Hospital, but The Cat Clinic would be
> out. It's not a matter of inconvenience for me, it's a matter of the
> patients well being. I'd drive 100 miles if it meant access to a great
> vet, but my cats just can't handle it. They're too old and the stress
> of the transport is getting too hard for them to handle. The elder one
> often has trouble walking for a day afterwards and can't eat just from
> the stress. I'm actually even considering finding a mobile vet that
> will come to my home for most stuff and only taking them somewhere when
> urgent. Plus, I need someplace I can get to relitively fast in an
> emergency - which a cat with CRF can have very suddenly.
>
> I did some web searching and also found a few other places that will be
> close:
>
> Animal Emergency Center of West Houston (http://www.aecwh.com/)
> Bear Creek Animal Clinic (http://bearcreekanimalclinic.citysearch.com/)
> Highland Knolls Veterinary Hospital (http://www.vetgateusa.com/)
> Houston Cat Hospital (http://www.houstoncathospital.net/)
> Katy Veterinary Clinic (http://www.katyvetclinic.com/)
> Memorial Cat Hospital (http://www.catdoctors.cc/)
> Northline Veterinary Clinic (http://www.northlinevet.com/)
> VCA Telge Road Animal Hospital (http://www.vcatelgeroad.com/)
>
> Is anyone familiar with any of these places?
>
> Do any fall into a "recommended" category - or, more importantly, into
> an "AVOID!" category?
>
> I'm going to make a list and then go visit all the places once I'm
> there. See who carries what I need and which places look best.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> - 0V

Oh, and here's an emergency vet hospital that recommends Fry Road Animal
Clinic as a primary care vet. http://www.aecwh.com/534921.html

Hugs,

CatNipped

Zer0 Voltage
November 20th 05, 05:37 AM
In article >,
says...
> Oh, and here's an emergency vet hospital that recommends Fry Road Animal
> Clinic as a primary care vet. http://www.aecwh.com/534921.html

Thanks again CatNipped!

- 0V