PDA

View Full Version : strange hairless patch

meee
November 15th 05, 01:36 AM
Jasmine developed a strange patch of fur on her cheek, it is roundish,
looked irritated, some of the fur has fallen out and looked slightly swollen
with some scratches as it was obviously itchy. She hasn't been outside at
all for about 6 to 8 weeks, and hasn't been around any other animals,
including our dogs. None of our dogs have this, although our staffy had one
of her demodectic eruptions, which a bit of soothing anibiotic cream sorted
out in a matter of days. none of the kids, jasmine's kittens, us or the dogs
have anything like it. I was thinking ringworm or scabies, but in this hot
humid weather we have, both are contagious and someone would have it by now.
I noticed it about 5 days ago, and put the antiseptic soothing cream on it.
now the swelling has gone down, she has stopped scratching and the redness
has disappeared and there are no more cuts. would you say this is healing?
From what I know of demodectic mites from the other dog, I am inclined to
think it may be a mild outbreak of demodectic mites, as she was under stress
from having the kittens and the weather being so hot, poor baby. she is
better now, so I'm hoping she should be right. At first I was suspicious of
ringworm and scabies, but both usually manifest on less heavily furred
areas, are quite distinctive in appearance and are contagious. We all cuddle
jasmine a lot, and no one has caught anything. also the appearance is
similar to the staffy's demodectic mite eruptions, which only appear if she
is stressed, usually when she gets too hot. any advice would help. thanks in
advance.
--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

Judy
November 15th 05, 04:12 AM
"Diane" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "meee" > wrote:
>
>> Jasmine developed a strange patch of fur on her cheek, it is roundish,
>> looked irritated, some of the fur has fallen out and looked slightly
>> swollen
>> with some scratches as it was obviously itchy.
>
> I wonder if she has a tooth problem?

That thought also crossed my mind.

IBen Getiner
November 15th 05, 04:18 AM
meee wrote:
> Jasmine developed a strange patch of fur on her cheek, it is roundish,
> looked irritated, some of the fur has fallen out and looked slightly swollen
> with some scratches as it was obviously itchy. She hasn't been outside at
> all for about 6 to 8 weeks, and hasn't been around any other animals,
> including our dogs. None of our dogs have this, although our staffy had one
> of her demodectic eruptions, which a bit of soothing anibiotic cream sorted
> out in a matter of days. none of the kids, jasmine's kittens, us or the dogs
> have anything like it. I was thinking ringworm or scabies, but in this hot
> humid weather we have, both are contagious and someone would have it by now.
> I noticed it about 5 days ago, and put the antiseptic soothing cream on it.
> now the swelling has gone down, she has stopped scratching and the redness
> has disappeared and there are no more cuts. would you say this is healing?
> From what I know of demodectic mites from the other dog, I am inclined to
> think it may be a mild outbreak of demodectic mites, as she was under stress
> from having the kittens and the weather being so hot, poor baby. she is
> better now, so I'm hoping she should be right. At first I was suspicious of
> ringworm and scabies, but both usually manifest on less heavily furred
> areas, are quite distinctive in appearance and are contagious. We all cuddle
> jasmine a lot, and no one has caught anything. also the appearance is
> similar to the staffy's demodectic mite eruptions, which only appear if she
> is stressed, usually when she gets too hot. any advice would help. thanks in
> advance.
> --
> There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
> cats.
>
> Anonymous
>
> One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

So what did you do to her to make her lose her fur like that? My kat
has never lost hiz fur or anything.

IBen

meee
November 16th 05, 03:51 AM
"IBen Getiner" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> meee wrote:
> > Jasmine developed a strange patch of fur on her cheek, it is roundish,
> > looked irritated, some of the fur has fallen out and looked slightly
swollen
> > with some scratches as it was obviously itchy. She hasn't been outside
at
> > all for about 6 to 8 weeks, and hasn't been around any other animals,
> > including our dogs. None of our dogs have this, although our staffy had
one
> > of her demodectic eruptions, which a bit of soothing anibiotic cream
sorted
> > out in a matter of days. none of the kids, jasmine's kittens, us or the
dogs
> > have anything like it. I was thinking ringworm or scabies, but in this
hot
> > humid weather we have, both are contagious and someone would have it by
now.
> > I noticed it about 5 days ago, and put the antiseptic soothing cream on
it.
> > now the swelling has gone down, she has stopped scratching and the
redness
> > has disappeared and there are no more cuts. would you say this is
healing?
> > From what I know of demodectic mites from the other dog, I am inclined
> > think it may be a mild outbreak of demodectic mites, as she was under
stress
> > from having the kittens and the weather being so hot, poor baby. she is
> > better now, so I'm hoping she should be right. At first I was suspicious
of
> > ringworm and scabies, but both usually manifest on less heavily furred
> > areas, are quite distinctive in appearance and are contagious. We all
cuddle
> > jasmine a lot, and no one has caught anything. also the appearance is
> > similar to the staffy's demodectic mite eruptions, which only appear if
she
> > is stressed, usually when she gets too hot. any advice would help.
thanks in
> > advance.
> > --
> > There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned
by
> > cats.
> >
> > Anonymous
> >
> > One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway
>
> So what did you do to her to make her lose her fur like that? My kat
> has never lost hiz fur or anything.
>

> IBen

I torture her daily, IBen.

meee
November 16th 05, 03:56 AM
well I just had a chat to my sister who is a vet tech, and she said it
sounds like a cat bite. she did escape for a few hours just before I noticed
the problem, and i have noticed a large black cat roaming around lately. the
reason she thought it was a cat bite is that it was swollen and irritated,
and responded so well to antiseptic cream. it now looks as though it may be
healing, there are no open cuts or swelling, and it is back to the colour of
her skin. i have been watching carefully to see if she needed the vet, but
as it has responded so well to the cream, and as she is a feral cat, it is
possible that she got into a territory dispute and got bitten. she is
incredibly hard to keep inside, as she just bolts and i can't catch her. i
have to be very very careful with the doors. what do you think? does it
sound like she's healing up?
--

"Judy" > wrote in message

> "Diane" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "meee" > wrote:
> >
> >> Jasmine developed a strange patch of fur on her cheek, it is roundish,
> >> looked irritated, some of the fur has fallen out and looked slightly
> >> swollen
> >> with some scratches as it was obviously itchy.
> >
> > I wonder if she has a tooth problem?
>
> That thought also crossed my mind.

Rhonda
November 17th 05, 05:21 PM
Hello meee,

I don't know about the possible bite, but just wanted to point something
out if you didn't know already.

Mother cats go back into heat a few weeks after giving birth. Ours was
at about 4-5 weeks. If she's bolting outside, she could be in heat and
could get pregnant again.

Is she in your house? How does she get out? If she has access to an
outside door, maybe try putting the family in a bedroom or somewhere
with an internal door.

Rhonda

meee wrote:

> well I just had a chat to my sister who is a vet tech, and she said it
> sounds like a cat bite. she did escape for a few hours just before I noticed
> the problem, and i have noticed a large black cat roaming around lately. the
> reason she thought it was a cat bite is that it was swollen and irritated,
> and responded so well to antiseptic cream. it now looks as though it may be
> healing, there are no open cuts or swelling, and it is back to the colour of
> her skin. i have been watching carefully to see if she needed the vet, but
> as it has responded so well to the cream, and as she is a feral cat, it is
> possible that she got into a territory dispute and got bitten. she is
> incredibly hard to keep inside, as she just bolts and i can't catch her. i
> have to be very very careful with the doors. what do you think? does it
> sound like she's healing up?

meee
November 17th 05, 10:54 PM
Thanks for that Rhonda! The kittens are nearly one month, and she's been
bumraising a lot. I have the kittens in an internal room, but I let her out
into the rest of the house once a day as she misses everyone otherwise. I
will only let her out after the kids are in bed from now on (my 3 yr old
likes opening doors) Thanks a lot for that, as I can't desex her for another
few weeks yet. And I think i have figured it out; I think it may have been
just flea allergy. She's never had it before, and I hoped she was flea free
but she must have picked it up when she escaped. So I'll be off down the
road to get some treatment today, and treat both her and the kittens. She's
wearing a flea collar, but it may not be enough as it's really hot and
humid. I was thinking that the scabs looked suspiciously like flea dirt, so
I googled it and flea reactive dermatitis looks identical to her lesions!
Thank goodness for the internet!! Now I can spend the vet money on a top
notch flea treatment for her and the kittens! I have been keeping an eye out
for this, as the weather is getting hotter and more humid, but I thought she
was ok...maybe not. Oh well, I'll let you know how it goes.

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Hello meee,
>
> I don't know about the possible bite, but just wanted to point something
> out if you didn't know already.
>
> Mother cats go back into heat a few weeks after giving birth. Ours was
> at about 4-5 weeks. If she's bolting outside, she could be in heat and
> could get pregnant again.
>
> Is she in your house? How does she get out? If she has access to an
> outside door, maybe try putting the family in a bedroom or somewhere
> with an internal door.
>
> Rhonda
>
> meee wrote:
>
> > well I just had a chat to my sister who is a vet tech, and she said it
> > sounds like a cat bite. she did escape for a few hours just before I
noticed
> > the problem, and i have noticed a large black cat roaming around lately.
the
> > reason she thought it was a cat bite is that it was swollen and
irritated,
> > and responded so well to antiseptic cream. it now looks as though it may
be
> > healing, there are no open cuts or swelling, and it is back to the
colour of
> > her skin. i have been watching carefully to see if she needed the vet,
but
> > as it has responded so well to the cream, and as she is a feral cat, it
is
> > possible that she got into a territory dispute and got bitten. she is
> > incredibly hard to keep inside, as she just bolts and i can't catch her.
> > have to be very very careful with the doors. what do you think? does it
> > sound like she's healing up?

Rhonda
November 18th 05, 04:27 AM
Hello meee,

Glad you're going to be able to keep her in until she's fixed. Even just
a few kittens seems like a house full, I can't imagine two batches!

Hope everything is going well with her other problem. I would take off
that flea collar. They emit a poison (a small amount, but it is a
poison) to kill the fleas. The cat is continuously exposed to the
poison, and now her kittens are too.

She could even be having a skin reaction to it.

There are much safer and more effective things on the market these days,
like a drop of Advantage between the shoulder blades.

Good luck,

Rhonda