PDA

View Full Version : cat vomiting/not eating


emily
November 15th 05, 06:27 AM
Hi, I joined this site to ask some advice as I cannot sleep because my poor
rescue kitty is sick.
He is about 1 yr old or less and I've had him for about 4 or 5 months after
finding him by the side of the road. He has received all shots up to date and
has had no problems until now.
He has been throwing up randomly throughout the day (my boyfriend noticed and
has been taking care of him all day until I got home from work), which we
first thought was due to the fact that he loves to eat frogs and things out
on the porch especially since we were away for the weekend and had just let
him out. (He doesn't go outside though, just the porch, other than that he
isrict indoor kitty). At first he was throwing up food this morning, then
foamy stuff and now a yellow material which I assume is bile because he has
not eaten anything. It is past midnight and I am taking him to the vet first
thing in the morning but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to
anything I can do? I have already tried to force feed him a bit of plain
yogurt and set out some chicken noodle soup because he seems dehydrated but
other than what I can get down him he is not interested at all. He is walking
very slowly/lethargic and just seems pitiful I can't stand it! A stark
contrast from his usual antics with his brother. I know that vomiting in
animals can be like a fever in that it can have MANY causes, but I am
paranoid that it may be some obstruction that needs attention.. or maybe a
liver problem? Should I attempt to get some laxative oil? Any suggestions
would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Rhonda
November 15th 05, 06:38 AM
Hi Emily,

How horrible. I hate how these things happen at night.

Personally, I would not try to force feed and would especially not do
anything like laxative oil -- I would get him right into an emergency
vet. I wouldn't wait until tomorrow.

If he's throwing up bile and is lethargic, he needs vet attention right
away. Do you have one nearby? At the very least, he probably needs sub-q
fluids before tomorrow morning.

Our cat did something similar and it turned out he had pancreatitus, but
it could be so many other things. He could have even gotten into
something poisonous.

Good luck, and let us know how he's doing.

Rhonda

emily wrote:

>I have already tried to force feed him a bit of plain
> yogurt and set out some chicken noodle soup because he seems dehydrated but
> other than what I can get down him he is not interested at all. He is walking
> very slowly/lethargic and just seems pitiful I can't stand it! A stark
> contrast from his usual antics with his brother. I know that vomiting in
> animals can be like a fever in that it can have MANY causes, but I am
> paranoid that it may be some obstruction that needs attention.. or maybe a
> liver problem? Should I attempt to get some laxative oil? Any suggestions
> would be appreciated. Thanks!!
>

cybercat
November 15th 05, 06:41 AM
"emily" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hi, I joined this site to ask some advice as I cannot sleep because my
poor
> rescue kitty is sick.
> He is about 1 yr old or less and I've had him for about 4 or 5 months
after
> finding him by the side of the road. He has received all shots up to date
and
> has had no problems until now.
> He has been throwing up randomly throughout the day (my boyfriend noticed
and
> has been taking care of him all day until I got home from work), which we
> first thought was due to the fact that he loves to eat frogs and things
out
> on the porch especially since we were away for the weekend and had just
let
> him out. (He doesn't go outside though, just the porch, other than that he
> isrict indoor kitty). At first he was throwing up food this morning, then
> foamy stuff and now a yellow material which I assume is bile because he
has
> not eaten anything. It is past midnight and I am taking him to the vet
first
> thing in the morning but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as
to
> anything I can do?

This sounds like the way my cats have acted when they ate houseplants.
My RB cat once threw up 8 times in a day, and the vet thought it was
probably from eating part of a plant and gave her something to stop her
from throwing up. Bet he got into something. I think you should be fine if
you get him in to the vet in the morning. Do let us know how it works out.

cybercat
November 15th 05, 06:44 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
...
> Hi Emily,
>
> How horrible. I hate how these things happen at night.
>
> Personally, I would not try to force feed and would especially not do
> anything like laxative oil -- I would get him right into an emergency
> vet. I wouldn't wait until tomorrow.
>

Oh my. Maybe I was wrong. I thought he would be okay until
morning. I guess it is hard to know.

Rhonda
November 15th 05, 06:48 AM
cybercat wrote:

> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>>Hi Emily,
>>
>>How horrible. I hate how these things happen at night.
>>
>>Personally, I would not try to force feed and would especially not do
>>anything like laxative oil -- I would get him right into an emergency
>>vet. I wouldn't wait until tomorrow.
>
> Oh my. Maybe I was wrong. I thought he would be okay until
> morning. I guess it is hard to know.


I'm a pretty good worrier about the critters, I just hope he's okay!

Rhonda

No More Retail
November 15th 05, 06:49 AM
RULE 1 NEVER GIVE A CAT ANY HUMAN MEDICATION UNLESS DIRECTED BY A VET

This is phil's website you need to read this
http://www.maxshouse.com/lifethreatening_emergencies2.htm


No oil no chicken soup don't need the cat choking on these items
Use Gatorade if you can get the cat to swallow it when a cat is dehydrated
but wait till the vet

The cat is walking very slowly lethargic that is not a good not by a long
shot
From what you have printed is a possible sign of poisoning. Where do you
live some frogs are very toxic
You are taking your cat in the morning FIRST THING RIGHT. Do you have a
24 hour emergency vet hospital nearby IF so I would call them and get their
advice NOW

Tell the vet everything you said here in fact print it out and give it to
them
Below is a link about vomiting
http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/medical-info.shtml

This is phil's website you defintely need to read this
http://www.maxshouse.com/Database_toc.htm

emily
November 15th 05, 07:00 AM
Hi,
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I have been watching him closely and
although it's past 1am I don't think I will sleep too much tonight! The last
time he threw up was about 3 hours ago, and now he's actually laying on his
side (the way he likes to sleep) instead of the uncomforable looking position
where he was just sitting all hunched over. He actually seems maybe slightly
better, not too optimistic. I have been trying to find emergency vets in the
area just in case, but no luck yet. I think the yogurt may have helped a
little, I tried to put it on his paws and mouth area because he seems to be
less stressed to lick it off rather than force feed him. I think he does need
to go to the vet first thing in the morning, if not sooner. I thought about
the last reply I think cybercat?wrote because just before I left for the
weekend, my mom had given me a new house plant. She is very knowledgeable
about animals and nutrition, so she would definitely know better than to give
me a poisonous plant. But he is usually very active and frisky so who knows
what would happen to his poor stomach if he had eaten a bit of it? I will
keep you posted. Thanks

cybercat wrote:
>> Hi, I joined this site to ask some advice as I cannot sleep because my poor
>> rescue kitty is sick.
>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
>> thing in the morning but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to
>> anything I can do?
>
>This sounds like the way my cats have acted when they ate houseplants.
>My RB cat once threw up 8 times in a day, and the vet thought it was
>probably from eating part of a plant and gave her something to stop her
>from throwing up. Bet he got into something. I think you should be fine if
>you get him in to the vet in the morning. Do let us know how it works out.

Rhonda
November 15th 05, 07:22 AM
Hi Emily,

If you are looking for emergency vet in your area -- you might just call
your regular vet and listen to their recording. Normally they will
direct you to an after-hours clinic.

If they don't, try calling another vet and listening to their recording.

I'm glad he's looking a little more relaxed, keep us posted.

Rhonda

emily wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I have been watching him closely and
> although it's past 1am I don't think I will sleep too much tonight!

emily
November 15th 05, 07:22 AM
Thank you for the websites.. they were helpful, I'll keep you all posted on
rocky's condition. Thanks,

No More Retail wrote:
>RULE 1 NEVER GIVE A CAT ANY HUMAN MEDICATION UNLESS DIRECTED BY A VET
>
>This is phil's website you need to read this
>http://www.maxshouse.com/lifethreatening_emergencies2.htm
>
>No oil no chicken soup don't need the cat choking on these items
>Use Gatorade if you can get the cat to swallow it when a cat is dehydrated
>but wait till the vet
>
>The cat is walking very slowly lethargic that is not a good not by a long
>shot
>From what you have printed is a possible sign of poisoning. Where do you
>live some frogs are very toxic
>You are taking your cat in the morning FIRST THING RIGHT. Do you have a
>24 hour emergency vet hospital nearby IF so I would call them and get their
>advice NOW
>
>Tell the vet everything you said here in fact print it out and give it to
>them
>Below is a link about vomiting
>http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/medical-info.shtml
>
>This is phil's website you defintely need to read this
>http://www.maxshouse.com/Database_toc.htm

No More Retail
November 15th 05, 07:23 AM
RULE 1 NEVER GIVE A CAT ANY HUMAN MEDICATION UNLESS DIRECTED BY A VET

This is phil's website you need to read this
http://www.maxshouse.com/lifethreatening_emergencies2.htm


No oil no chicken soup don't need the cat choking on these items
Use Gatorade if you can get the cat to swallow it when a cat is dehydrated
but wait till the vet

The cat is walking very slowly lethargic that is not a good not by a long
shot
From what you have printed is a possible sign of poisoning. Where do you
live some frogs are very toxic
You are taking your cat in the morning FIRST THING RIGHT. Do you have a
24 hour emergency vet hospital nearby IF so I would call them and get their
advice NOW

Tell the vet everything you said here in fact print it out and give it to
them
Below is a link about vomiting
http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/medical-info.shtml

This is phil's website you defintely need to read this
http://www.maxshouse.com/Database_toc.htm

cybercat
November 15th 05, 07:24 AM
"emily" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hi,
> Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I have been watching him closely
and
> although it's past 1am I don't think I will sleep too much tonight! The
last
> time he threw up was about 3 hours ago

That's a good sign!

, and now he's actually laying on his
> side (the way he likes to sleep) instead of the uncomforable looking
position
> where he was just sitting all hunched over.

Poor baby, he is exhausted. I hate throwing up. When I have to, only sleep
makes it better because I get such terrible headaches along with the nausea.
(Migraines, I guess.)

>He actually seems maybe slightly
> better, not too optimistic. I have been trying to find emergency vets in
the
> area just in case, but no luck yet. I think the yogurt may have helped a
> little, I tried to put it on his paws and mouth area because he seems to
be
> less stressed to lick it off rather than force feed him. I think he does
need
> to go to the vet first thing in the morning, if not sooner. I thought
about
> the last reply I think cybercat?wrote because just before I left for the
> weekend, my mom had given me a new house plant. She is very knowledgeable
> about animals and nutrition, so she would definitely know better than to
give
> me a poisonous plant. But he is usually very active and frisky so who
knows
> what would happen to his poor stomach if he had eaten a bit of it?

I hope it is just that he ate something--even a toad, which has those glands
that
make animals nauseated--that simply disagreed with him--and nothing more
serious. (A houseplant that is not poisonous might still make him vomit.)
I am no expert at all, but do recall that my first cat was only violently
ill when she had eaten something she should not have--and it passed quickly.
The only thing the vet worried about was dehydration which is why he gave
me pills to give her to stop her vomiting. In any case, it is always best to
get
them to the vet, so I'm really glad you are taking him in the morning.

I will
> keep you posted. Thanks
>


We'll keep you in our thoughts. Hope your little guy sleeps soundly
tonight and is better in the morning.

No More Retail
November 15th 05, 07:27 AM
Emily what general area are you in I have excellent resources to find vets
and emergency centers. I work at a shelter and can look on their list.
Plus can hopefully id any poisonous frogs in your area

Just in case for the plant, look at phils' site he has a list of poisons
plants

No More Retail
November 15th 05, 07:29 AM
Cyber you have migraines join the club I suffer from vascular migraines

cybercat
November 15th 05, 07:48 AM
"No More Retail" > wrote in message
.. .
> Cyber you have migraines join the club I suffer from vascular migraines

You know, I have never discussed them with my doctor so I am not really
sure. I get maybe five a year, wake up with a crushing headache and if I
move I have to vomit. It is a dreadful feeling, made worse because I hate to
vomit. Once I resign myself to it and do it, I know I will feel better and
my headache will go away if I can just sleep undisturbed in a dark room. But
oftentimes it is very violent, with dry heaves if there is nothing in my
stomach, until I throw up bright red blood from bursting blood vessels in my
throat. I guess I really should ask the doctor about it.

What is a vascular migraine??

No More Retail
November 15th 05, 08:20 AM
They are the grand daddies of migraines the vascular part comes from the
artery and veins on the inside of your head area. Mine constrict so much
that it cause the pressure to build causing a head ache and the other
problems. Unfortunately they are constant headaches. They never go away
medications keep them from causing pain to occur. A regular migraine when
you have a MRI or cat scan done shows up as red spots in various locations
depending on the type of migraines. Mine are solid patches that can cover
the whole head. It sucks sometimes I have had them since I was 16 it took
10 years to diagnose considering I am over the hill that is a long time.
It really sucked when the pain hits knocks me for a loop for days at time
where if some one would breath on me it hurt, vomiting, dry heaves, the pain
behind the eyes, the disorientation caused by moving. You can't stop crying
from the pain no choice.
You don't want to move cause it hurts to do so. Dark rooms are
necessary of life. Every little noise sends you into killer pain where you
want to go into a killing rage upon the person causing the noise. Loss of
sanity, Depression, Confusion, anxiety, loss of memory. You start having
suicidal thoughts just to end the pain.
I went thru hell till I was able to get regulated it took them years to
figure it out. They thought at first it was leukemia, than a brain tumor,
cancer. Exploratory surgeries and test you name it I had it done. When I
get a headache which is very rare now adays. Maybe once a year maybe no
real bad ones in about 5 years. When the headache hits I suffer from
paralyzation of the pupil; in other words my eye dark area completely take
over the white part of the eye if you are a star trek fan I would have
betazoid eyes; counselor troy from star trek next generation. And my
adrenaline level sky rockets enough to where it kills my white and red blood
cells. I have to remain completely calm; my chemical make up of the body
gets so whacked out that Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde is a good example for me.
For example adrenaline makes up .001% of you blood you hear about those
little old ladies that lift cars off of someone their level are about 12%
my sky rockets to 75% or more. My muscles and body stress out so much from
the adrenaline burst that it collapses on it self. It has almost caused
heart attacks and strokes. Been taken to the hospital so many times in the
past that I carried my medical records with me It can be really FUBAR

Having more than 2 migraines a year causing your symptoms is definitely time
to tell doctor. With all the new studies and medicine it is easier to find
the trigger cause

Rhonda
November 15th 05, 05:45 PM
I also have migraines, but they have gotten so much better over the
years as I learn the triggers. I only get one every year or two now.

Mine usually start with part of vision missing -- like I'm driving and
suddenly I can see one stop light but not the one right beside it. After
that, the flashing lightning bolts across my field of vision.

Naproxin Sodium (Aleve) works for me. I started taking it when it was
prescription and not over the counter. The trick is to take it
immediately at any least little sign of a headache. There is a point of
no return on those headaches.

As for triggers, the usuals -- red wine, chocolate, aged cheese. My main
trigger is blood sugar levels. I can NEVER miss a meal. If I skip
breakfast I can be assured of a migraine by lunch-time. I also don't eat
anything too sweet first thing.

I wonder if yours is like that too, since you get them in the morning.
You might want to watch what you eat the night before -- no sugary
things that will crash your blood level overnight (I would probably add
alcohol to that list). Maybe eat things with protein late (nuts, cheese,
sugar-free yogurt) or something that might carry you through to the
morning.

That's my guess, but if you are suffering that much I would definitely
talk to the doctor about it.

Hope you can get those nasty things under control,

Rhonda




cybercat wrote:

>
> You know, I have never discussed them with my doctor so I am not really
> sure. I get maybe five a year, wake up with a crushing headache and if I
> move I have to vomit. It is a dreadful feeling, made worse because I hate to
> vomit. Once I resign myself to it and do it, I know I will feel better and
> my headache will go away if I can just sleep undisturbed in a dark room. But
> oftentimes it is very violent, with dry heaves if there is nothing in my
> stomach, until I throw up bright red blood from bursting blood vessels in my
> throat. I guess I really should ask the doctor about it.

cybercat
November 15th 05, 05:48 PM
"No More Retail" > wrote in message
.. .
> They are the grand daddies of migraines the vascular part comes from the
> artery and veins on the inside of your head area. Mine constrict so much
> that it cause the pressure to build causing a head ache and the other
> problems. Unfortunately they are constant headaches. They never go away
> medications keep them from causing pain to occur. A regular migraine when
> you have a MRI or cat scan done shows up as red spots in various
locations
> depending on the type of migraines. Mine are solid patches that can cover
> the whole head. It sucks sometimes I have had them since I was 16

Oh my God. How can you live that way? I honestly cannot function
at all, and even after 4-6 hours of sleep am not at full capacity. These
things are the sickest I have ever been, and the sickest I ever am, I
hope. Except for the fact that yoursare constant unless you take medicine
they sound like mine--without the adrenaline and rage, though, and more
intense.


> Having more than 2 migraines a year causing your symptoms is definitely
time
> to tell doctor. With all the new studies and medicine it is easier to
find
> the trigger cause
>

Thank you, NMR. I don't have a good answer for why I have not. I only go
when I have to--as in when I am afraid, in pain, or have been nagged to get
a regular checkup--and then try to get out of there as fast as I can. I have
to
go in a couple of months to refill my Advair, so I'll tell him about it
then.
Hope yours stay under control. You are remarkably good-natured
for having been through all of that.

-L.
November 15th 05, 06:17 PM
Rhonda wrote:
> I also have migraines, but they have gotten so much better over the
> years as I learn the triggers. I only get one every year or two now.
>
> Mine usually start with part of vision missing -- like I'm driving and
> suddenly I can see one stop light but not the one right beside it. After
> that, the flashing lightning bolts across my field of vision.

Just a warning: Be really careful about attributing visual anomalies to
migraines. I thought that was the case for me, as did my doctor, so I
ignored my visual symptoms (much like you described) for months. Turns
out I have a rogue blood vessel growing under my retina, which, once it
started bleeding (as they eventually do) caused me to permanently lose
most of the sight in my left eye. If I had seen a retina specialist
when the first symptoms appeared, I probably would have caught the
blood vessel when it was really small, and wouldn't have lost as much
of the vision as I did.

-L.

cybercat
November 15th 05, 06:59 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
...
> I also have migraines, but they have gotten so much better over the
> years as I learn the triggers. I only get one every year or two now.
>

That's great news, for you and for me, if it means that they can get
better when managed.

> Mine usually start with part of vision missing -- like I'm driving and
> suddenly I can see one stop light but not the one right beside it. After
> that, the flashing lightning bolts across my field of vision.

How scary, Rhonda. One of my sisters has this kind, with the light
flashes. She has to go to bed for days when one comes on. I have
never had these symptoms, that would scare me to death.

>
> Naproxin Sodium (Aleve) works for me. I started taking it when it was
> prescription and not over the counter. The trick is to take it
> immediately at any least little sign of a headache. There is a point of
> no return on those headaches.

I have this weird thing with aspirin and anything I perceive as being
aspirin-like: as soon as I take it, it makes me vomit. Same with pepto
bismol, but I think that is understandable due to the consistency,
color and flavor of that stuff. I think the aspirin thing is a psych.
quirk but peptol is not: it comes out exactly as it went in, as
though it got ejected at the first contact with my stomach. So:
I am afraid Aleve might not work as I might not be able to keep
it down. Also, I don't get "signs," I wake up with a full blown
headache.

>
> As for triggers, the usuals -- red wine, chocolate, aged cheese. My main
> trigger is blood sugar levels. I can NEVER miss a meal. If I skip
> breakfast I can be assured of a migraine by lunch-time. I also don't eat
> anything too sweet first thing.

Very smart of you to figure this out. I consume all of the above, but not
too much of any one. It does not seem like consumption corresponded
with my headaches. For me, salt and/or cured meats might be the
problem. I recall two foods that I have had headaches after consuming
on two occasions: one was chicken parmigiana and one
was spinach salad that had both bacon and bleu cheese. Hmmm.

>
> I wonder if yours is like that too, since you get them in the morning.
> You might want to watch what you eat the night before -- no sugary
> things that will crash your blood level overnight (I would probably add
> alcohol to that list). Maybe eat things with protein late (nuts, cheese,
> sugar-free yogurt) or something that might carry you through to the
> morning.
>

Rhonda, I skip meals all the time and forget to eat until I feel sick
when I get involved in a project I cannot put down. Thing is, I
rarely eat refined sugar, stuff like cakes and candies, I never have
that stuff in the house. But fruits and wine, potatoes and starches that
turn into sugar, I sure do. I never drink too much as I have a low
tolerance and only drink red wine, which will make you want to
die if you drink too much of it. I DO sometimes eat late at night as
I have forgotten to during the afternoon and evening, and feel
sick from hunger, so maybe the blood sugar thing. These attacks seem to
come out of the blue. And leave me with red spots all around my
eyes, from broken blood vessels from dry heaving. They go away
in a couple of days, but still. Ick.

> That's my guess, but if you are suffering that much I would definitely
> talk to the doctor about it.
>
> Hope you can get those nasty things under control,
>

Thank you, I am convinced now. I'll definitely bring it up in January.

cybercat
November 15th 05, 07:03 PM
"Diane" > wrote in message
...
> My doctor prescribed verapamil for a migraine. It was like magic.

I wrote that down. Did you sometimes wake up with them?

Rhonda
November 15th 05, 07:05 PM
Hello L,

That's too bad that they didn't catch what was going on with you.

I have been to a retina specialist a couple of times, so I don't believe
I have the same thing as you.

The more I hear about these odd things happening -- I wish there was
some top to bottom check-up that people could go at least once in their
lives (MRI, the whole business.) Maybe twice, once in childhood or your
early 20's, and once around age 50. I think it would save a lot of grief
later on.

Rhonda

-L. wrote:

> Just a warning: Be really careful about attributing visual anomalies to
> migraines. I thought that was the case for me, as did my doctor, so I
> ignored my visual symptoms (much like you described) for months. Turns
> out I have a rogue blood vessel growing under my retina, which, once it
> started bleeding (as they eventually do) caused me to permanently lose
> most of the sight in my left eye. If I had seen a retina specialist
> when the first symptoms appeared, I probably would have caught the
> blood vessel when it was really small, and wouldn't have lost as much
> of the vision as I did.
>
> -L.
>
>

cybercat
November 16th 05, 03:06 AM
"Diane" > wrote in message
...
> In article >, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
> > "Diane" > wrote in message
> > ...
> > > My doctor prescribed verapamil for a migraine. It was like magic.
> >
> > I wrote that down. Did you sometimes wake up with them?
>
> I got one that was triggered by a long day under glaring sunshine that
> would not go away -- that's when I went to him. After that, if I felt
> something like that coming on, I'd take one. It's a calcium-channel
> blocker. There are a number of different types of migraines, and I think
> the treatment varies somewhat depending on the type. I was fortunate
> verapamil worked for me. There may be newer variations now that are even
> better. I've been lucky and haven't had one in a while, but for me long
> periods of bright light are one of the triggers.
>
> I have woken up with headaches, but I don't think they were migraines.
> --

I see, thanks. I have no idea how anyone can function with a headache.
The only reason I have not gone to see about mine is that they only happen
a few times a year. When they do happen, they are completely
incapacitating--really surprising to someone who has had few health
problems. I have been really lucky--by my age my parents had lots
of bad health problems, but I have had nothing major at all. (I suspect
it will all fall apart at the same time <G>.)

-L.
November 16th 05, 08:30 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> Hello L,
>
> That's too bad that they didn't catch what was going on with you.

Thanks. Just one of those freak things.

>
> I have been to a retina specialist a couple of times, so I don't believe
> I have the same thing as you.

Just thought I would mention is as something to keep in mind.


>
> The more I hear about these odd things happening -- I wish there was
> some top to bottom check-up that people could go at least once in their
> lives (MRI, the whole business.) Maybe twice, once in childhood or your
> early 20's, and once around age 50. I think it would save a lot of grief
> later on.

Would be nice. I think my Mom had something like that at age 50 - but
IMO, that's a little late. 40 would make more sense.

-L.

emily via CatKB.com
November 20th 05, 05:30 AM
Just wanted to come on here and update if you were wondering. We took Rocky
to the vet first thing (had to go to another vet because ours was in surgery
all day). He had an xray-showed nothing, a barium swallow with another xray,
full bloodwork and protein analysis, etc. They could not find one thing wrong
with him. Everything was perfect, no occlusion or anything. Blood work was
fine. Gave him anti-naseua (sp?) and fluids. He began regaining his appetite
and is now completely better. He was almost 100% by the next day. They don't
know what it could have been but maybe it was a lizard or frog? He hasn't
been out on the porch since then! His visit was over $500! jeez. which is
fine when all you want to know is that you're loved little creature is fine..
But I can understand why people get pet insurance now! now he just has
antibiotics and some antinaseau..other than that he is in perfect health and
i'm glad that scare was nothing more. Thanks!
Emily

No More Retail wrote:
>RULE 1 NEVER GIVE A CAT ANY HUMAN MEDICATION UNLESS DIRECTED BY A VET
>
>This is phil's website you need to read this
>http://www.maxshouse.com/lifethreatening_emergencies2.htm
>
>No oil no chicken soup don't need the cat choking on these items
>Use Gatorade if you can get the cat to swallow it when a cat is dehydrated
>but wait till the vet
>
>The cat is walking very slowly lethargic that is not a good not by a long
>shot
>From what you have printed is a possible sign of poisoning. Where do you
>live some frogs are very toxic
>You are taking your cat in the morning FIRST THING RIGHT. Do you have a
>24 hour emergency vet hospital nearby IF so I would call them and get their
>advice NOW
>
>Tell the vet everything you said here in fact print it out and give it to
>them
>Below is a link about vomiting
>http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/medical-info.shtml
>
>This is phil's website you defintely need to read this
>http://www.maxshouse.com/Database_toc.htm

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200511/1

cybercat
November 20th 05, 06:12 AM
"emily via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Just wanted to come on here and update if you were wondering. We took
Rocky
> to the vet first thing (had to go to another vet because ours was in
surgery
> all day). He had an xray-showed nothing, a barium swallow with another
xray,
> full bloodwork and protein analysis, etc. They could not find one thing
wrong
> with him. Everything was perfect, no occlusion or anything. Blood work was
> fine. Gave him anti-naseua (sp?) and fluids. He began regaining his
appetite
> and is now completely better. He was almost 100% by the next day. They
don't
> know what it could have been but maybe it was a lizard or frog? He hasn't
> been out on the porch since then! His visit was over $500! jeez. which is
> fine when all you want to know is that you're loved little creature is
fine..
> But I can understand why people get pet insurance now! now he just has
> antibiotics and some antinaseau..other than that he is in perfect health
and
> i'm glad that scare was nothing more. Thanks!
> Emily
>

I'm glad he is fine. As I mentioned, this is exactly what happened to my
cat--but my vet simply looked at her and gave her the anti-nausea pills.
> No More Retail wrote:
> >RULE 1 NEVER GIVE A CAT ANY HUMAN MEDICATION UNLESS DIRECTED BY A VET
> >
> >This is phil's website you need to read this
> >http://www.maxshouse.com/lifethreatening_emergencies2.htm
> >
> >No oil no chicken soup don't need the cat choking on these items
> >Use Gatorade if you can get the cat to swallow it when a cat is
dehydrated
> >but wait till the vet
> >
> >The cat is walking very slowly lethargic that is not a good not by a long
> >shot
> >From what you have printed is a possible sign of poisoning. Where do you
> >live some frogs are very toxic
> >You are taking your cat in the morning FIRST THING RIGHT. Do you have
a
> >24 hour emergency vet hospital nearby IF so I would call them and get
their
> >advice NOW
> >
> >Tell the vet everything you said here in fact print it out and give it to
> >them
> >Below is a link about vomiting
> >http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/medical-info.shtml
> >
> >This is phil's website you defintely need to read this
> >http://www.maxshouse.com/Database_toc.htm
>
> --
> Message posted via CatKB.com
> http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200511/1

Rhonda
November 20th 05, 07:23 AM
Glad to hear Rocky is back to normal.

If that was a frog, that was a very expensive one!

Thanks for the update,

Rhonda

emily via CatKB.com wrote:

> Just wanted to come on here and update if you were wondering. We took Rocky
> to the vet first thing (had to go to another vet because ours was in surgery
> all day). He had an xray-showed nothing, a barium swallow with another xray,
> full bloodwork and protein analysis, etc. They could not find one thing wrong
> with him.