PDA

View Full Version : cat's ear growth

kevt
November 15th 05, 09:02 PM
hi i havean old tom cat lucky , hes around 15 or so. in fine health apart
from ear mites which hes been suffering from for years.2 weeks ago i noticed
a growth(greyesh mass which discharges white stuff and something like a
small capsule fleshy like ) inside his ear just below the pinna and booked
an appointment for the vet. he called out earlier today and gave me the
bleak news that this growth is something a lot of old cats get and in the
end it proves fatal considering his age an op was out of the question. i
asked how long has lucky got, he said it depends sometimes weeks sometimes
months .has anyone has any experince with this and what to expect.thanks for
any help

cybercat
November 15th 05, 09:04 PM
"kevt" > wrote in message
> hi i havean old tom cat lucky , hes around 15 or so. in fine health apart
> from ear mites which hes been suffering from for years.2 weeks ago i
noticed
> a growth(greyesh mass which discharges white stuff and something like a
> small capsule fleshy like ) inside his ear just below the pinna and booked
> an appointment for the vet. he called out earlier today and gave me the
> bleak news that this growth is something a lot of old cats get and in the
> end it proves fatal considering his age an op was out of the question. i
> asked how long has lucky got, he said it depends sometimes weeks sometimes
> months .has anyone has any experince with this and what to expect.thanks
for
> any help

I think I would want a second opinion. Why shouldn't this growth be removed?
15 is up there but I have heard of older cats going in for surgery. And it
is his
ear, not his heart. Also, can you be more specific? Did the vet say cancer?

CatNipped
November 15th 05, 09:15 PM
"kevt" > wrote in message
> hi i havean old tom cat lucky , hes around 15 or so. in fine health apart
> from ear mites which hes been suffering from for years.2 weeks ago i
noticed
> a growth(greyesh mass which discharges white stuff and something like a
> small capsule fleshy like ) inside his ear just below the pinna and booked
> an appointment for the vet. he called out earlier today and gave me the
> bleak news that this growth is something a lot of old cats get and in the
> end it proves fatal considering his age an op was out of the question. i
> asked how long has lucky got, he said it depends sometimes weeks sometimes
> months .has anyone has any experince with this and what to expect.thanks
for
> any help

My 15-year-old underwent 3 surgeries in 3 weeks and came through just fine.
Anesthetics used today are safe and quickly metabolized. If your cat is
otherwise in good health, I'd opt for the surgery and get a second opinion
from another vet.

Hugs,

CatNipped

MaryL
November 16th 05, 03:15 PM
"kevt" > wrote in message
> hi i havean old tom cat lucky , hes around 15 or so. in fine health apart
> from ear mites which hes been suffering from for years.2 weeks ago i
> noticed a growth(greyesh mass which discharges white stuff and something
> like a small capsule fleshy like ) inside his ear just below the pinna and
> booked an appointment for the vet. he called out earlier today and gave me
> the bleak news that this growth is something a lot of old cats get and in
> the end it proves fatal considering his age an op was out of the question.
> i asked how long has lucky got, he said it depends sometimes weeks
> sometimes months .has anyone has any experince with this and what to
> expect.thanks for any help

I don't know what the growth is, but the prognosis isn't reasonable unless
this is a very fast-growing malignancy. Surgery should not be ruled out at
the age of 15. I had one cat that lived to be almost 20, and there are many
that live beyond that. It also doesn't sound like your vet gave you many
details. I would seek a second opinion -- immediately!

Good luck with this. I know how devastating it is to face life-or-death
decisions for our furbabies.

MaryL