PDA

View Full Version : What do you think.


whitershadeofpale
November 15th 05, 09:10 PM
Just got in this morning, (zero hour 9 am)

was at the beach eating when we left the restaurant
one of my girlfriends had a doggie bag...
we saw a cat under our car..she goes...oooo!
lemme feed this to the kitty!

She calls the little fella out...and then another pokes his head out of
the bushes..
she calls him...then another, and another..

I lost count at around 20, somewhere between 20 to 25 beautiful cats
were ganged up around us eating from this little carton...

It was funny, there was no cussing among the cats, no pushing, they
we're so nice to each other, and many of them looked alike in the
face...very pretty cats.

Soo... we are going to start a shelter (a private shelter), but
ultimately the city will pay for these services to the public.

20 CATS it was very very cool!

So how are most shelters setup anyway, private or by the city, or by an
animal lover(s) who just takes it upon themselves (like in our case)...

Cheryl
November 16th 05, 02:19 AM
On Tue 15 Nov 2005 04:10:16p, whitershadeofpale wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:1132089016.390766.34050
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com):

> Soo... we are going to start a shelter (a private shelter), but
> ultimately the city will pay for these services to the public.

U rock. Good luck!

--
Cheryl

RobZip
November 17th 05, 01:36 AM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Soo... we are going to start a shelter (a private shelter), but
> ultimately the city will pay for these services to the public.
>
> 20 CATS it was very very cool!

I've taken to doing the street mission approach myself. The wife and I
started with 4 indoor cats. This past April a mom had 4 kittens in our crawl
space. One of the twin white ones was snatched up by a neighbor for a pet.
The mom and 3 remaining babies kept showing up for chow. A really beautiful
long haired female we call Puff joined. One of the earlier travelers we
called Scruffy due to his patchy fur loss became a regular. Another female
showed up who took over keeping the kittens company when mom decided to wean
them. We call her Nanny.

An old shy red tom we call Sad Eyes comes around and has lost much of his
fear of us. We can get close enough to touch but he prefers if we don't - a
far cry from the days when he would run and hide when the door opened.
Scruffy's hair has grown back in nicely, mom cat doesn't have the emaciated
protruding hips anymore. One of the babies, a male tabby we called Bubbles
decided he wanted to see what house life was all about a few weeks back. He
is now house cat number 5. All told we have up to 9 regulars that show up at
any given time - usually at least 6 make it to every feeding. These are in
addition to our 5 inside cats. We go through an 18 pound bag of dry food
every week in addition to treats and a mixture of leftovers.

With winter coming on, I've built the crew a plywood shelter. The floor is
elevated on 2x2's, insulated beneath with blue foam insulation as are the
walls and removable roof. The roof is shingled in regular tar paper and
household shingles. The rest of the structure is wrapped in Tyvek and
covered with vinyl siding to match the exterior of our home. A heating pad
beneath the bedding goes in soon. Temps are just now dipping into the 30's
at night. It's not at all surprising to see 5 or 6 of the strays at a time
inside the 'hootch'. It measures 24 inches square by 16 inches high with a 2
inch pitch to the roof.

Mission work with the strays takes on a life of it's own.

No More Retail
November 17th 05, 01:50 AM
Are you ready for it Barry it is a lot of money, and emotional stress

whitershadeofpale
November 17th 05, 01:56 AM
RobZip wrote:

> Mission work with the strays takes on a life of it's own.

That's very kind of you. I know it has it's rewards.

I have about 5 that feed outside my door every night.
Initially they ate soo much, but I think they must be feeling
better and safer, they are not eating AS much, but plenty.

I don't interact with them at all..I just hear them munching, if I open
the door
they scatter like leaves.

I have an old cinderblock wood shed out back, I gotta remove the rotted
firewood
and then I will put a heat source out there. Probably a heat lamp. It's
all well suited
since the building is inside a privacy fence; you know...real cozy.

whitershadeofpale
November 17th 05, 02:19 AM
No More Retail wrote:
> Are you ready for it Barry it is a lot of money, and emotional stress

heck yeah!

I don't know in what way I will be involved, initially or
ongoing...I'll do what I am able to do.
As I say, these ladies are the driving brains and force behind the
matter. I consider it a priveledge to see a shelter operation built
from scratch.

How long have you been doing the work you do at you're shelter.

No More Retail
November 17th 05, 02:20 AM
20 + years

whitershadeofpale
November 17th 05, 03:02 AM
No More Retail wrote:
> 20 + years

That is more years than I have been alive...hehehe!

Well the whole thing should be very interesting, and in many
ways...life changing.

Are you folks not able to get money from your county or city?

I'm thinking part of the reason some can get the city to fund a
shelter, is if it becomes
win win for the community on more than one level..(like in the case of
hiring recovering addicts?)

No More Retail
November 17th 05, 03:23 AM
Beside my self the cat society receive grant money that we apply for every
year from the state to be honest the money pays the 3 vets salary we have on
staff plus the other workers. The city do nothing for us , county does food
donations, the cut from the ASPCA yearly donation to Florida, the rest you
can guess where it comes from
We don't go out and solicited money We do ,do charity drives and that money
usually goes for hurricane season . We do shot clinics but only money made
pays for the shots. The local school does some charity work for us and the
money gets donated to our foster families.

This year I think I will give my tax accountant another heart attack. This
would be the second one from the hurricanes last year and all my out of
pocket expenses. This year was worse while I was in New Orleans. < still
shuddering from the events out there >


You are that young lucky you do not let it pass you by The 20 years was
not all doing what I do now it started out a few hours a week a day here
2 days her you know how it goes but for the last 5 years it has been 30 -
40 a week volunteer work

whitershadeofpale
November 17th 05, 07:57 AM
No More Retail wrote:
> Beside my self the cat society receive grant money that we apply for every
> year from the state to be honest the money...I do now it started out a few hours a week a day here
> 2 days her you know how it goes but for the last 5 years it has been 30 -
> 40 a week volunteer work

I think the hours go with the territory, (wherever your treasure is,
that's where your heart is)

One cannot give anymore of themselves time and money?

You sound very resourceful, at some point you are looking to pass the
mantle on to someone? If something were to happen that you cannot
participate in all the ways that you do...someone will need to write
the grants.

I for one, should learn the art of grant writing.

-L.
November 17th 05, 08:37 AM
whitershadeofpale wrote:
> No More Retail wrote:
> > 20 + years
>
> That is more years than I have been alive...hehehe!

Oh FCS. You mean I could have birthed you?

>
> Well the whole thing should be very interesting, and in many
> ways...life changing.
>
> Are you folks not able to get money from your county or city?
>
> I'm thinking part of the reason some can get the city to fund a
> shelter, is if it becomes
> win win for the community on more than one level..(like in the case of
> hiring recovering addicts?)

Very unlikely unless there is no municpal shelter. Animals aren't a
priority for most cities; hell, they can't even take care of their
people.

-L.

whitershadeofpale
November 17th 05, 09:15 AM
-L. wrote:

> Very unlikely unless there is no municpal shelter. Animals aren't a
> priority for most cities; hell, they can't even take care of their
> people.
>
> -L.

you're right people should come first

but in practice, the doers probably lack motivation towards the so
called needy.
Criteria to "qualify" someone becomes stringent (and rightfully so with
so much abuse)

I think it should be viewed differently, seeing that animals are
helpless.

I am very new to this, I imagine there are horrible stories about
cities that could make a difference but will not.

No More Retail
November 17th 05, 05:19 PM
Barry you are young and I will say this I hope you never have to see the
horrors I and others have seen while working in rescue. I think beside the
cruelty case that the cat hoarders are the worse experience. The smell you
will never forget it is always the same at every house.
Now I am going to admit I have been handcuffed and hauled away to jail
before for beating the hell out of an animal abuser>. There has been times
where my I had to keep calm with dealing with cat hoarders; I have to
remember that they are sick in the head and can't help it or they got in
over their heads and had god intentions. It gets to you sometime Barry the
tears flow and you can't help it. I think I cried for two weeks straight
after Katrina.

AS in the money part the city could ****ing care less Every time I and
others have stood up in front of the commissars and asked for help. We
sorry the animal control is not a priority. The media gets involved when it
suits them

That site I recommended has when you order on cd a free copy of how to write
for grants plus you are young you can get the grants to go for college for
free. If you can do it :-)

Matthew aka No More Retail

whitershadeofpale
November 17th 05, 07:28 PM
No More Retail wrote:
> Barry you are young and I will say this I hope you never have to see the
> horrors I and others have seen while working in rescue.
>
> Matthew aka No More Retail

Me neither.

I don't get angry with people because of thier ignorance, I seem to
have the gift of mercy, and a willingness to leave a better attitude
with them, but I do get angry at people who as you say, don't give a
rip. But even then, I don't spend much mental time on it, life is too
fragile.

Well, I appreciate all the experienced advice!

I'm thinking it will be around Jan / Feb, before anything gets set into
motion.
and, Im just going along for the ride; I will see how these women do
this thing.
Remember: What Columbus set out to discover Isabelle already knew!

I'm saying, the same thing brutha! pussy rules the world! oh yeah.
Im not being vulgar but REAL!

Women are running this thing. We be lucky if we get some of the action.
Im just going to sit back and learn.

<whips out a soapbox>

when I was a boy crossing the street to goto school a woman crossing
guard helped me across the street.

when I got to school a woman taught me!

when I got my first job and took my check to the bank, a woman handed
me CASH!

a woman broke my heart! (more than once)

A woman subdued KING KONG!

A woman ended unfair racial practices all across america!

I WISH SOMEBODY WOULD HELP ME JUST NOW!

Can I get an Amen? Can I buy and Amen?

Ya'll ain't hearing me! ain't nobody listening to me!

cybercat
November 17th 05, 07:40 PM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote

> <whips out a soapbox>
>
> when I was a boy crossing the street to goto school a woman crossing
> guard helped me across the street.
>
> when I got to school a woman taught me!
>
> when I got my first job and took my check to the bank, a woman handed
> me CASH!
>
> a woman broke my heart! (more than once)
>
> A woman subdued KING KONG!
>
> A woman ended unfair racial practices all across america!
>
> I WISH SOMEBODY WOULD HELP ME JUST NOW!
>
> Can I get an Amen? Can I buy and Amen?
>
> Ya'll ain't hearing me! ain't nobody listening to me!
>

Whatcha need, shug? :)

whitershadeofpale
November 17th 05, 07:43 PM
No More Retail wrote:

> Matthew aka No More Retail

see what I mean! lol

can you hear me now?

whitershadeofpale
November 17th 05, 07:53 PM
cybercat wrote:

> Whatcha need, shug? :)

Well, just knowing someone is there is enough for me for now

All things are possible.

I wrote a little song the other day, the bridge goes...

"Everything can change in a minute, Godbless the child who believes...
in possibility"..."Take a walk on the brightside"

Sometimes I think I'm trying to take too big a bite out of life...
but I'm learning the secret

Lumpy
November 17th 05, 08:36 PM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> cybercat wrote:
>
> > Whatcha need, shug? :)
>
> Well, just knowing someone is there is enough for me for now

Here I am. Many names, one heart.

>
> All things are possible.
>

You bet.

whitershadeofpale
November 19th 05, 02:44 AM
Lumpy wrote:

> >
> > All things are possible.
> >
>
> You bet.

Cool beans! I cleaned out the cinderblock building behind the house.
Put 3 couch cushions out there and an old down jacket. (its for the
ferals)

I still have some insulating to do, I left trails of food all around
the house leading into the unit.

Now I need a 100' USB cable so I can see. They won't let me near them.

I think I will find some big sturdy boxes, and make them some
apartments.
A house in house...this will certainly get them through below zero
temperatures.

If it snows deep enough, then I should give them a litter box, I reckon
they will appreciate that.

No More Retail
November 19th 05, 03:46 AM
ever heard of wireless

whitershadeofpale
November 19th 05, 04:01 AM
No More Retail wrote:
> ever heard of wireless

ZZZIIIING!

Even Better!

Lumpy
November 19th 05, 04:23 AM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote :

I cleaned out the cinderblock building behind the house.
> Put 3 couch cushions out there and an old down jacket. (its for the
> ferals)
>
> I still have some insulating to do, I left trails of food all around
> the house leading into the unit.
>
> Now I need a 100' USB cable so I can see. They won't let me near them.
>
> I think I will find some big sturdy boxes, and make them some
> apartments.
> A house in house...this will certainly get them through below zero
> temperatures.
>
> If it snows deep enough, then I should give them a litter box, I reckon
> they will appreciate that.
>

How big is this structure?

Lumpy
November 19th 05, 04:24 AM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>
> No More Retail wrote:
> > ever heard of wireless
>
> ZZZIIIING!
>
> Even Better!
>

I admit, I do not understand wireless. We have it, and I have it at the
hotels
I stay in when I travel, but I do not even begin to understand it. I am not
sure I need to. Is NMR talking about a wireless cam??

No More Retail
November 19th 05, 04:25 AM
Yes I was
I am sorry should have said so instead of 100' USB cheaper also I got a
list of what is being sold on Black Friday

§cratch
November 19th 05, 04:56 AM
Lumpy wrote:
> "whitershadeofpale" > wrote :
>
> I cleaned out the cinderblock building behind the house.
>
> How big is this structure?

probably around, 9' x 9' maybe a little bigger... 81 SF

you see it on the satellite maps? lol

Im sure you can

cybercat
November 19th 05, 01:16 PM
"§cratch" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> Lumpy wrote:
> > "whitershadeofpale" > wrote :
> >
> > I cleaned out the cinderblock building behind the house.
> >
> > How big is this structure?
>
> probably around, 9' x 9' maybe a little bigger... 81 SF
>
> you see it on the satellite maps? lol
>
> Im sure you can
>

I had no idea this was your sock. :)

whitershadeofpale
November 19th 05, 01:18 PM
cybercat wrote:

> I had no idea this was your sock. :)

that's not my sock! I have no idea who that nut is...

sometimes I think they stalk me, what can I do

whitershadeofpale
November 19th 05, 01:22 PM
§cratch wrote:

> Im sure you can

don't be answering for me!

My storage is exactly 10 x 10

and don't be lookin at my house on the satellite maps!
(unless you plan on sending donations)