PDA

View Full Version : Food for urinary tract


Rhonda
November 16th 05, 06:47 AM
Abernathy is pretty healthy again. Today his urine was rechecked and the
red and white blood cells are gone - yeah! He does still have some
struvite crystals, but not as many.

So, the vet would like us to feed him food that acidifies his urine. He
hated c/d. Any suggestions? I've been feeding Friskies wet urinary
formula (don't hit me) temporarily. I didn't know what he would need in
the long run.

I've been reading some websites that a high-protein diet in general
acidifies the urine. Any good brands that might work well without being
a prescription "urinary diet?"

Anyone have good luck or a trick to feeding one cat a special diet, and
the rest of the herd something else? I knew this would happen sooner or
later...

Thanks,

Rhonda

-L.
November 16th 05, 07:06 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> Abernathy is pretty healthy again. Today his urine was rechecked and the
> red and white blood cells are gone - yeah! He does still have some
> struvite crystals, but not as many.
>
> So, the vet would like us to feed him food that acidifies his urine. He
> hated c/d. Any suggestions? I've been feeding Friskies wet urinary
> formula (don't hit me) temporarily. I didn't know what he would need in
> the long run.

IIRC Waltham makes a UT diet that is a lot more palatable than C/D.

I think this is the one:
http://www.walthamusa.com/Learning%20Center/SO30.html , although the
packaging looks different than I remembered. (Damn, I am getting old!)

>
> I've been reading some websites that a high-protein diet in general
> acidifies the urine. Any good brands that might work well without being
> a prescription "urinary diet?"
>
> Anyone have good luck or a trick to feeding one cat a special diet, and
> the rest of the herd something else? I knew this would happen sooner or
> later...

You really have to separate them and not free-feed. IME that's the
only way to make it work.

Good luck,
-L.

Rhonda
November 16th 05, 07:20 AM
Thanks, Lyn. I'll check Waltham tomorrow.

Rhonda

-L. wrote:

> Rhonda wrote:
>
>>Abernathy is pretty healthy again. Today his urine was rechecked and the
>>red and white blood cells are gone - yeah! He does still have some
>>struvite crystals, but not as many.
>>
>>So, the vet would like us to feed him food that acidifies his urine. He
>>hated c/d. Any suggestions? I've been feeding Friskies wet urinary
>>formula (don't hit me) temporarily. I didn't know what he would need in
>>the long run.
>>
>
> IIRC Waltham makes a UT diet that is a lot more palatable than C/D.
>
> I think this is the one:
> http://www.walthamusa.com/Learning%20Center/SO30.html , although the
> packaging looks different than I remembered. (Damn, I am getting old!)
>
>
>>I've been reading some websites that a high-protein diet in general
>>acidifies the urine. Any good brands that might work well without being
>>a prescription "urinary diet?"
>>
>>Anyone have good luck or a trick to feeding one cat a special diet, and
>>the rest of the herd something else? I knew this would happen sooner or
>>later...
>>
>
> You really have to separate them and not free-feed. IME that's the
> only way to make it work.
>
> Good luck,
> -L.
>
>

November 16th 05, 04:40 PM
Wellness (all flavors) has a target urine ph of 6.1-6.4 or 5 which is
neutral, and not much different from c/d which is 6.2-6.4. It is a much
better quality food and you can feed a variety of flavors so Abernathy
won't get bored. I have several cats that have had UT issues in the
past. Long ago I switched from a mix of canned Nutro and some dry to
high quality canned foods (Wellness, with Innova and Nature's Variety in
the rotation) and have had no problems with crystals for many years now.

Megan



"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

"Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
way."

- W.H. Murray

Rhonda
November 17th 05, 04:56 AM
Thanks, Megan. I was wondering about the other foods and if they are
good enough. How did you get the ph for Wellness? I'd love to see it for
other foods as well. I emailed Natura for California Natural (also makes
Innova), and they did not respond. I may have to start calling.

I did buy some Wellness today along with a couple other brands. I'm
going do to some more checking, also some taste tests (well, not me,
I'll let the cat do them...)

He's doing so great -- exploring the house again now that he's been
deemed healthy enough to be out, and he's using my office as home base.
He's a brave and loving cat for one who has been through so much.

Rhonda

wrote:

> Wellness (all flavors) has a target urine ph of 6.1-6.4 or 5 which is
> neutral, and not much different from c/d which is 6.2-6.4. It is a much
> better quality food and you can feed a variety of flavors so Abernathy
> won't get bored. I have several cats that have had UT issues in the
> past. Long ago I switched from a mix of canned Nutro and some dry to
> high quality canned foods (Wellness, with Innova and Nature's Variety in
> the rotation) and have had no problems with crystals for many years now.