PDA

View Full Version : Do those kitty litter mats work?

Ted Swirsky
November 16th 05, 06:25 PM
My cat has a way of storing kitty litter between his toes and tracking it
through the house.
I just saw a mat with lots of plastic points (think tiny bed of nails)
that is supposed to go outside the box and cause the litter to fall off.

Anyone have experience with them and do they work? Other ideas welcome!

Thanks,
Ted

No More Retail
November 16th 05, 06:48 PM
I use them no problems gets about 75% off

Jeffrey Kaplan
November 17th 05, 04:21 AM
It is alleged that Ted Swirsky claimed:

> My cat has a way of storing kitty litter between his toes and tracking it
> through the house.
> I just saw a mat with lots of plastic points (think tiny bed of nails)
> that is supposed to go outside the box and cause the litter to fall off.
>
> Anyone have experience with them and do they work? Other ideas welcome!

Yes, they work. You may have to experiment with a few different styles
to find one your cat won't just jump over.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"No one knows but um... I'm afraid all the time, of what I might do if
I ever let go." (Mr. Garibaldi, B5 "Ceremonies Of Light And Dark")

DL Farnworth
November 17th 05, 06:11 PM
news:[email protected]
:
: Anyone have experience with them and do they work?
Other ideas welcome!
:
: Thanks,
: Ted

They don't work very well. The cats hop over them
because the points hurt their toes, I think. Then the
litter goes even further. Also they are hard to clean.

Jeffrey Kaplan
November 17th 05, 07:07 PM
It is alleged that DL Farnworth claimed:

> "Ted Swirsky" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> : My cat has a way of storing kitty litter between his
> toes and tracking it
> : through the house.
> : I just saw a mat with lots of plastic points (think
> tiny bed of nails)
> : that is supposed to go outside the box and cause the
> litter to fall off.
> :
> : Anyone have experience with them and do they work?
> Other ideas welcome!
> :
> : Thanks,
> : Ted
>
> They don't work very well. The cats hop over them
> because the points hurt their toes, I think. Then the
> litter goes even further. Also they are hard to clean.

Depends on the pad. I have this one:
<http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=6057&sku=257524&redirectURL=%2fShop%2fProductList.aspx%3fPC%3dprod uctlist%26Nao%3d24%26Nav%3d206%26N%3d23%2b107%2b30 %2b5528%26cp%3d3&PC=productlist&Nao=24&Nav=206&N=23+107+30+5528&cp=3>
that works well. Cleaning it is as easy as dumping it over the trash.

This one:
<http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=6300&sku=752274&redirectURL=%2fShop%2fProductList.aspx%3fPC%3dprod uctlist%26Nao%3d12%26Nav%3d206%26N%3d23%2b107%2b30 %2b5528%26cp%3d2&PC=productlist&Nao=12&Nav=206&N=23+107+30+5528&cp=2>
I had to get rid of because, as you said, it apparently hurt my
Delany's paws so she simply jumped over it.

I would have gotten this one:
<http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?Nav=206&sku=968730&R=3481&enemerch=1&redirectURL=%252fShop%252fProductList.aspx%253fPC% 253dproductlist%2526Nav%253d206%2526N%253d23%252b1 07%252b30%252b5528>
if they had it when I got the tray pad last Spring.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Sooner or later, everyone comes to Babylon 5." (Cmdr. Sinclair, B5
"The Gathering")

CHRIS MCLOUGHLIN
November 17th 05, 10:51 PM
I have found that if you use a litter like "yesterdays news", you will not
have any problems with tracking. Its more expensive, but worth it in my
opinion.
"DL Farnworth" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Ted Swirsky" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> : My cat has a way of storing kitty litter between his
> toes and tracking it
> : through the house.
> : I just saw a mat with lots of plastic points (think
> tiny bed of nails)
> : that is supposed to go outside the box and cause the
> litter to fall off.
> :
> : Anyone have experience with them and do they work?
> Other ideas welcome!
> :
> : Thanks,
> : Ted
>
> They don't work very well. The cats hop over them
> because the points hurt their toes, I think. Then the
> litter goes even further. Also they are hard to clean.

mlbriggs
November 18th 05, 06:18 AM
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:11:38 +0000, DL Farnworth wrote:

> "Ted Swirsky" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> : My cat has a way of storing kitty litter between his
> toes and tracking it
> : through the house.
> : I just saw a mat with lots of plastic points (think
> tiny bed of nails)
> : that is supposed to go outside the box and cause the
> litter to fall off.
> :
> : Anyone have experience with them and do they work?
> Other ideas welcome!
> :
> : Thanks,
> : Ted
>
> They don't work very well. The cats hop over them because the points hurt
> their toes, I think. Then the litter goes even further. Also they are
> hard to clean.

Go to K-Mart (or similar store) and get a small throw rug to place in
front of the pan. It will catch the litter on the paws. MLB

November 25th 05, 02:45 AM
Um, I like that idea. But neither Hyperbole nor the Princess of
Tasmania has any truck with gizmos that help them remove litter from
their paws.

I tend to wonder that if the litter (I use "Fresh Step") smells good
enough, they don't care if they track bits of litter through the house.

(Of course, the obvious scientific experiment, which I could submit to
"The Journal of Irrproducible Results", is not something I would care
to do.)