PDA

View Full Version : Staving off a cystitis attack?

jmc
November 17th 05, 07:50 AM
I think Meep may be working her way to another cystitis attack, despite
the glucosaine, wet food, strategicly-placed water bowls and Drinkwell
(she does drink tons more now!)

I don't want to wait until she's in pain, and I'd like to avoid the
stress of a trip to the vet. Since she's still peeing fine (it's just
the number of visits before she did has me worried), what can I do to
head this off before it requires a vet visit?

I have some urinary acidifier, but haven't been using it because the
other management methods were working. If I start giving that now, will
it help bring her back in balance?

Thanks for any help!

jmc

Phil P.
November 17th 05, 09:54 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> I think Meep may be working her way to another cystitis attack, despite
> the glucosaine, wet food, strategicly-placed water bowls and Drinkwell
> (she does drink tons more now!)
>
> I don't want to wait until she's in pain, and I'd like to avoid the
> stress of a trip to the vet. Since she's still peeing fine (it's just
> the number of visits before she did has me worried), what can I do to
> head this off before it requires a vet visit?
>
> I have some urinary acidifier, but haven't been using it because the
> other management methods were working. If I start giving that now, will
> it help bring her back in balance?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> jmc

Speak to your vet about Amitriptyline (Elavil), it's commonly used in cats
with interstitial cystitis to reduce stress. Amitriptyline also has some
anti*inflammatory and analgesic properties which might help relieve any pain
or discomfort and the continuous urge to urinate. The inflammation induced
by FIC causes a nervous sensation that mimics the sensation that's normally
induced by a full bladder where the bladder is full or not. Amitriptyline
should help her relax her bladder until the inflammation subsides and the
bladder was heals. Are you giving her Cosequin or Adequan?

Phil

jmc
November 17th 05, 06:26 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (17-Nov-05 8:54 AM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>
>>I think Meep may be working her way to another cystitis attack, despite
>>the glucosaine, wet food, strategicly-placed water bowls and Drinkwell
>>(she does drink tons more now!)
>>
>>I don't want to wait until she's in pain, and I'd like to avoid the
>>stress of a trip to the vet. Since she's still peeing fine (it's just
>>the number of visits before she did has me worried), what can I do to
>>head this off before it requires a vet visit?
>>
>>I have some urinary acidifier, but haven't been using it because the
>>other management methods were working. If I start giving that now, will
>>it help bring her back in balance?
>>
>>Thanks for any help!
>>
>>jmc
>

> Speak to your vet about Amitriptyline (Elavil), it's commonly used in cats
> with interstitial cystitis to reduce stress. Amitriptyline also has some
> anti*inflammatory and analgesic properties which might help relieve any pain
> or discomfort and the continuous urge to urinate. The inflammation induced
> by FIC causes a nervous sensation that mimics the sensation that's normally
> induced by a full bladder where the bladder is full or not. Amitriptyline
> should help her relax her bladder until the inflammation subsides and the
> bladder was heals. Are you giving her Cosequin or Adequan?
>
> Phil

Phil, thanks.

Not Cosequin, but a different glucosamine supplement, yes.

jmc

Alison
November 17th 05, 06:30 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> I think Meep may be working her way to another cystitis attack,
despite
> the glucosaine, wet food, strategicly-placed water bowls and
Drinkwell
> (she does drink tons more now!)
>
> I don't want to wait until she's in pain, and I'd like to avoid the
> stress of a trip to the vet. Since she's still peeing fine (it's
just
> the number of visits before she did has me worried), what can I do
> head this off before it requires a vet visit?
>
> I have some urinary acidifier, but haven't been using it because the
> other management methods were working. If I start giving that now,
will
> it help bring her back in balance?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> jmc>>.

Don't have an answer for you but hope Meep will be ok. I have a
feliway plug in diffuser for Kim which I am sure helps.
Alison

November 18th 05, 12:04 AM
jmc wrote:

>I think Meep may be working her way to
>another cystitis attack, despite the
>glucosaine, wet food, strategicly-placed
>water bowls and Drinkwell (she does drink
>tons more now!)
>I don't want to wait until she's in pain, and
>I'd like to avoid the stress of a trip to the
>vet. Since she's still peeing fine (it's just
>the number of visits before she did has
>me worried), what can I do to head this off
>before it requires a vet visit?

This is the trouble with cats that have interstitial cystits-you never
quite know if it is a flare-up or if there is a real infection going on.
I am going through this right now with my cat Teddy. He started the
typical behavior of running to the box often, but he was passing urine,
the ph was fine and there was no visible blood. I have amitriptyline on
hand for such events so I gave him a small dose and he calmed down and
stopped running to the box. I still watched him like a hawk and
regularly felt his bladder to make sure it was empty. Yesterday morning
he tried to pee but didn't pass any urine, and so I immediately felt his
bladder and it was full. I then checked his penis and could actually
feel where the blockage was. We went straight to the vet and sure
enough, he was blocked although it was fortunate that I had caught it
right away before it had a chance to get bad.

Here's the weird part, though. He did not have crystals in his urine and
the ph was 6.5. The blockage was made up of mucus and debris from the
bladder lining, etc. most likely a result of the IC flare-up (urinalysis
showed there was indeed an inflammatory response going on) and on top of
that he did have bacteria in his urine, which is very unusual. Needless
to say, he was catheterized (I watched and actually helped with flushing
the bladder which was kind of fun and interesting- I have a new vet who
totally rocks and lets me be involved with everything) and he is now
back at home on extra fluids and antibiotics.

So the moral of the story is, even though you know your cat and have
certain expectations when a cystitis flare-up happens, there is always
that curveball that can get thrown at you that completely changes
everything. It would be better to be safe than sorry and have your cat
vet checked. You just never know.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

whitershadeofpale
November 18th 05, 04:15 AM
jmc wrote:

> Phil, thanks.
>
> Not Cosequin, but a different glucosamine supplement, yes.
>
> jmc

I'd be very interested in following this over time.

You guys might be onto something

Phil P.
November 19th 05, 08:29 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (17-Nov-05 8:54 AM):

> > bladder was heals. Are you giving her Cosequin or Adequan?
> >
> > Phil
> >

> Phil, thanks.
>
> Not Cosequin, but a different glucosamine supplement, yes.
>
> jmc

If you're giving her Elmiron/Cartrophen (pentosan polysulfate sodium), you
might want to check her liver values and clotting times.

Good luck,

Phil

jmc
November 19th 05, 01:13 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (19-Nov-05 7:29 AM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>
>>Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (17-Nov-05 8:54 AM):
>

>>>bladder was heals. Are you giving her Cosequin or Adequan?
>>>
>>>Phil
>>>

>>Phil, thanks.
>>
>>Not Cosequin, but a different glucosamine supplement, yes.
>>
>>jmc
>

> If you're giving her Elmiron/Cartrophen (pentosan polysulfate sodium), you
> might want to check her liver values and clotting times.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Phil

No, this is a joint combo - Dr. Fosters & Smith Joint Care - has
glucosamine, also has conodroitin (sp?) and MSM. As she gets older
she's got some joint issues as well, this seemed a good kill-two-birds
sort of therapy.

I've never heard of what you mention above. Is that a supplement, or a
prescription med?

As we're looking at moving in the relatively near future, after the
holidays I'm going to take her in for a complete workup, make sure she's
healthy as possible before we start another overseas move. Liver and
Kidney were some I was going to ask for, as these values have been
occasionally borderline in the past.

jmc

Phil P.
November 20th 05, 08:34 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (19-Nov-05 7:29 AM):
> > "jmc" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (17-Nov-05 8:54 AM):

> >>Phil, thanks.
> >>
> >>Not Cosequin, but a different glucosamine supplement, yes.
> >>
> >>jmc
> >

> > If you're giving her Elmiron/Cartrophen (pentosan polysulfate sodium),
you
> > might want to check her liver values and clotting times.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Phil
> >

> No, this is a joint combo - Dr. Fosters & Smith Joint Care - has
> glucosamine, also has conodroitin (sp?) and MSM. As she gets older
> she's got some joint issues as well, this seemed a good kill-two-birds
> sort of therapy.
>
> I've never heard of what you mention above. Is that a supplement, or a
> prescription med?

Prescription- its the same drug that's use in human females with idiopathic
cystitis. It contains some heparin (an anticoagulant), that's why I
suggested checking her clotting times if you were using it.

> As we're looking at moving in the relatively near future, after the
> holidays I'm going to take her in for a complete workup, make sure she's
> healthy as possible before we start another overseas move. Liver and
> Kidney were some I was going to ask for, as these values have been
> occasionally borderline in the past.

If she has liver and kidney issues- forget the Elmiron.

Moving can be very hard on a cat that's susceptible to IC. You might want to
spray her carrier with Feliway to try to keep her as calm as possible. Some
people swear by Rescue Remedy- although I didn't notice any remarkable
results.

Will you be flying?

Phil

jmc
November 21st 05, 10:13 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (20-Nov-05 7:34 PM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>
>>Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (19-Nov-05 7:29 AM):

>>>If you're giving her Elmiron/Cartrophen (pentosan polysulfate sodium),
>
> you
>
>>>might want to check her liver values and clotting times.
>>>
>>>Good luck,
>>>
>>>Phil
>>>

>>No, this is a joint combo - Dr. Fosters & Smith Joint Care - has
>>glucosamine, also has conodroitin (sp?) and MSM. As she gets older
>>she's got some joint issues as well, this seemed a good kill-two-birds
>>sort of therapy.
>>
>>I've never heard of what you mention above. Is that a supplement, or a
>>prescription med?
>

> Prescription- its the same drug that's use in human females with idiopathic
> cystitis. It contains some heparin (an anticoagulant), that's why I
> suggested checking her clotting times if you were using it.
>

>>As we're looking at moving in the relatively near future, after the
>>holidays I'm going to take her in for a complete workup, make sure she's
>>healthy as possible before we start another overseas move. Liver and
>>Kidney were some I was going to ask for, as these values have been
>>occasionally borderline in the past.
>

> If she has liver and kidney issues- forget the Elmiron.
>
> Moving can be very hard on a cat that's susceptible to IC. You might want to
> spray her carrier with Feliway to try to keep her as calm as possible. Some
> people swear by Rescue Remedy- although I didn't notice any remarkable
> results.
>
> Will you be flying?
>
> Phil

I don't know if she's got liver or kidney issues, since every time
(well, twice)there's been a marginal test, she's tested fine next time.
But I always keep the possibility in mind.

Yes, I think Meep's getting a Feliway spray for Christmas :) Good idea
about spraying her carrier.

Yea, we have to fly. Fortunately, she's done it before (three times!)
so she seems to understand it better - at least, she doesn't stress like
she did the first time. She's quite the seasoned traveller, actually.

jmc

Phil P.
November 24th 05, 12:56 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message

> I don't know if she's got liver or kidney issues, since every time
> (well, twice)there's been a marginal test, she's tested fine next time.
> But I always keep the possibility in mind.

Were both of her kidney values (BUN/Creatinine) borderline or just the BUN?
The reason I'm asking is because the BUN can be affected by feeding whereas
creatinine usually isn't. If she ate a few hours before the blood sample
was taken the elevations in her BUN could have been the result of feeding
rather than pathologic causes. Also, some cats- especially older cats, can
become azotemic just from the visit to the vet.

Some increases in liver values can be artifactual- i.e., hemolyzed blood
sample- usually caused by squirting the sample into the test tube through
the needle again. Hemolyzed blood can throw off liver values by as much as
+20%. I try to rule out all other possibilities before I start worrying.

> Yes, I think Meep's getting a Feliway spray for Christmas :) Good idea
> about spraying her carrier.

It seems to help- even for short trips to the vet.

> Yea, we have to fly. Fortunately, she's done it before (three times!)
> so she seems to understand it better - at least, she doesn't stress like
> she did the first time. She's quite the seasoned traveller, actually.

I'd bet she is- and she even has her own luggage. ;-)

Phil