PDA

View Full Version : Installing a cat door

Ajanta
November 17th 05, 06:22 PM
Just curious: Which stores sell cat doors, and also install it? How
much would the total cost be (installation in an existing door)? I have
no skills myself and don't want an ugly looking botched up job. I live
in cold climate so it is even more importat that it is done right.

No More Retail
November 17th 05, 06:34 PM
home depot the cost depends on your area the can give you an estimate over
the phone
"Ajanta" > wrote in message
> Just curious: Which stores sell cat doors, and also install it? How
> much would the total cost be (installation in an existing door)? I have
> no skills myself and don't want an ugly looking botched up job. I live
> in cold climate so it is even more importat that it is done right.

Phil P.
November 17th 05, 07:35 PM
"Ajanta" > wrote in message
> Just curious: Which stores sell cat doors,

Petsmart/Petco and most pet stores.

> and also install it? How
> much would the total cost be (installation in an existing door)? I have
> no skills myself and don't want an ugly looking botched up job. I live
> in cold climate so it is even more importat that it is done right.

The pet doors come in a kit with a template for cutting out the hole and
making screw locations. You don't need any special skills or tools- just a
drill and a cutting bit (the bit might cost you $10). Tape the template to
the door where you want the hole and trace the outline and screw holes.
Then just follow the line with drill. The cutting bit also makes the
starting hole so you don't have change bits. If you can follow a line, you
can install a pet door. The hole doesn't have to be perfect because the pet
door frame will cover any mistakes.

I saw this on one of my cat videos and thought you would get a kick out of
it. Its the perfect solution to your problem: ;-)

http://www.maxshouse.com/misc/Cat-Knock-.jpg

Ajanta
November 17th 05, 08:46 PM
Phil P. > wrote:

: I saw this on one of my cat videos and thought you would get a kick
: out of it. Its the perfect solution to your problem: ;-)
:
: http://www.maxshouse.com/misc/Cat-Knock-.jpg

Cute! My thanks to you and all others for the rest of the info.

My current practice of leaving the door open a few inches was working
fine as long as temperatures were only moderately cold, but it is
winning me no friends now that we have seen low 20's along with strong
winds on a few days. So, just toying with options.

whitershadeofpale
November 17th 05, 10:00 PM
Ajanta wrote:
I live
> in cold climate so it is even more importat that it is done right.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING LETTING YOU'RE CAT OUTSIDE ANYWAYS!!!
HUH HUH!!!

and Phil's bald ass! sitting up here encouraging you!

tcht tcht thct!!!

Teddy
November 17th 05, 11:04 PM
I need to install one in the door between the kitchen and garage. I've
been leaving it open but with utility bills skyrocketing I need every
trick I can find.

Ajanta
November 17th 05, 11:11 PM
whitershadeofpale > wrote:

: WHAT ARE YOU DOING LETTING YOU'RE CAT OUTSIDE
: ANYWAYS!!! HUH HUH!!!
: and Phil's bald ass! sitting up here encouraging you!

She is not my cat, but a homeless one I have fed for a few months. In
warmer days she used to find me doing something in the porch. Now it is
too cold for me to hang out there, and while she tends to arrive
between 3-5pm she can't time it to the minute---indeed, one day it was
raining hard in the afternoon and she showed up at 9!---and has to wait
however long it takes me to notice her arrival. So I am thinking of
ways to eliminate or lessen her wait in the cold.

Phil, as usual, is trying to help someone help a cat.

whitershadeofpale
November 17th 05, 11:21 PM
Ajanta wrote:
So I am thinking of
> ways to eliminate or lessen her wait in the cold.
>
> Phil, as usual, is trying to help someone help a cat.

Ah...bless your heart! That's right, I think you told about this cat
before..
you was worried you might miss her feeding if you don't know she's out
there.

Yes, Phil is a good man!

I installed one of the doors before. The install I did was in the
satellite panel just beside the door. (alot thinner) but you will need
a jigsaw, or sawzall, or reciprocating saw.

Hopefully your door is not made of metal :)

whitershadeofpale
November 17th 05, 11:22 PM
Teddy wrote:
> I need to install one in the door between the kitchen and garage.

have you thought about using a 20 LB sledge hammer? hehehe

PING!

Gail
November 17th 05, 11:32 PM
I had one installed into my garage for a stray cat. I don't remember how
much it was to install, but it has been well worth it. It has been about 5
years now and he loves it!! He's now our cat, by the way.
Gail
"Teddy" > wrote in message
>I need to install one in the door between the kitchen and garage. I've
> been leaving it open but with utility bills skyrocketing I need every
> trick I can find.

Ivor Jones
November 19th 05, 07:57 PM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in
message
oups.com
> Ajanta wrote:
> I live
> > in cold climate so it is even more importat that it is
> > done right.
>
> WHAT ARE YOU DOING LETTING YOU'RE CAT OUTSIDE ANYWAYS!!!
> HUH HUH!!!

Please don't shout. Cats have as much right to go outside as you do.

Ivor

Teddy
November 20th 05, 03:45 AM
You mean 'your cat'. 'You're cat' means you are cat.

cybercat
November 20th 05, 05:10 AM
"Teddy" > wrote in message
> You mean 'your cat'. 'You're cat' means you are cat.

Who are you talking to?

Ajanta
November 20th 05, 06:21 AM
No More Retail > wrote:

: home depot the cost depends on your area the can give you an
: estimate over the phone

My home depot dosn't stock any although their online store does. They
referred me to menard (yet to go there). If menard also doesn't pan
out, maybe I'll buy online and then try to find a handyman to install.

Ajanta
November 20th 05, 06:33 AM
We have decided to try a cat door:

It should have decent locking features.

It should work mechanically, should not require the cat to wear any
magnet etc.

It will go on an exterior door (not a closet or laundry room that some
of them seem to be designed for) in chilly and windy Midwest. So it
should be as insulated and draft-proof as possible.

Who makes the best such model(s)?

If you have experience with a few brands, I'd appreciate advice.

Gary Stone
November 20th 05, 08:06 AM
"Ajanta" > wrote in message
> We have decided to try a cat door:
>
> It should have decent locking features.

Yep, my cats have figured out how to unlock the cat door.

> It should work mechanically, should not require the cat to wear any
> magnet etc.
>
> It will go on an exterior door (not a closet or laundry room that some
> of them seem to be designed for) in chilly and windy Midwest. So it
> should be as insulated and draft-proof as possible.

I installed mine in through a basement window with a platform and catwalk
suspended from the joist over to the top step of the basment stairs. They
love it, also if the weather is bad they can just lay on the carpeted
platform and watch for prey before exiting.

> Who makes the best such model(s)?
> If you have experience with a few brands, I'd appreciate advice.

Can't remember the brand, but ordered it online from Wal-Mart. It was $19.
Simple but sufficient.

Stone
Some pic's http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stoneman72/my_photos

Phil P.
November 20th 05, 08:13 AM
"Ajanta" > wrote in message
> We have decided to try a cat door:
>
> It should have decent locking features.
>
> It should work mechanically, should not require the cat to wear any
> magnet etc.
>
> It will go on an exterior door (not a closet or laundry room that some
> of them seem to be designed for) in chilly and windy Midwest. So it
> should be as insulated and draft-proof as possible.
>
> Who makes the best such model(s)?

This is the best one- Pet Safe Ultimate http://tinyurl.com/b48mo has double
flaps and magnets for a better seal.

These are the cheapest and easiest to install - Quick Fit Pet Door
http://tinyurl.com/7ftqo

Both are available at Petsmart either online or at the store.

After you install the door- you should tack up the flap for a few days so
the cat will learn to walk through, then gradually lower the flap every few
days. Otherwise, she won't know the flap opens.

Good luck,

Phil

norgol
November 20th 05, 10:15 PM
Ajanta wrote:

> Just curious: Which stores sell cat doors, and also install it? How
> much would the total cost be (installation in an existing door)? I have
> no skills myself and don't want an ugly looking botched up job. I live
> in cold climate so it is even more importat that it is done right.

I would suggest that you apply a spike strip to it so the cat is properly
shredded as it enters.

Ajanta
November 22nd 05, 05:29 PM
Phil P. > wrote:

: This is the best one- Pet Safe Ultimate http://tinyurl.com/b48mo
: has double flaps and magnets for a better seal.

Thanks. Another url (same info, just shorter url) is:
http://www.radiofence.com/cat_doors_ultimate.htm

To minimize exposure to outside temperatures, and to thwart bigger
animals who discover the openig, I am attracted to small size, but
concerned by a width of 4 1/4". I don't know how to test it---tried to
convince her to walk through a cardboard hole, she looked at me like I
was nuts and turned away---but that seems a tight squeeze.

The small size in next line down (looks like it has less insulation) is
5" wide, which is more reassuring somehow:

http://www.radiofence.com/cat_doors_classic.htm

Maybe I am suffering from the same consumer syndrome that causes
retailers to price items as 4.99 rather than 5.0, but 4 1/4" does make
me nervous while 5" seems reassuring.

I'll keep trying. If I can make her walk through a 4-1/4" opening, I'll
buy Ultimate for better insulation. Otherwise Classic.

(The next size in both lines is 8" wide, which is definitely not
required.)