PDA

View Full Version : Petmate Fresh Flow noise

Cory
November 17th 05, 09:06 PM
I just got a Petmate Fresh Flow fountain for my cat recently and while
the pump was almost silent when I first turned it on, it now has an
irritating noise that comes and goes. What are the experiences of
others who have bought this product? I'm trying to decide whether to
exchange it or get my money back.

5cats
November 17th 05, 09:11 PM
Cory wrote:

> I just got a Petmate Fresh Flow fountain for my cat recently and while
> the pump was almost silent when I first turned it on, it now has an
> irritating noise that comes and goes. What are the experiences of
> others who have bought this product? I'm trying to decide whether to
> exchange it or get my money back.

Mine was quiet at first, then got very noisy with vibrations of the pump
against the housing. Now it seems to have settled in to a spot where it
doesn't vibrate and it's quiet again.

CatNipped
November 17th 05, 10:32 PM
"Cory" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I just got a Petmate Fresh Flow fountain for my cat recently and while
> the pump was almost silent when I first turned it on, it now has an
> irritating noise that comes and goes. What are the experiences of
> others who have bought this product? I'm trying to decide whether to
> exchange it or get my money back.

I've had a Drinkwell fountain for my crew for 9 months now and it's still as
silent as when I first got it.

Hugs,

CatNipped

jmc
November 17th 05, 11:57 PM
Suddenly, without warning, CatNipped exclaimed (17-Nov-05 9:32 PM):
> "Cory" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>I just got a Petmate Fresh Flow fountain for my cat recently and while
>>the pump was almost silent when I first turned it on, it now has an
>>irritating noise that comes and goes. What are the experiences of
>>others who have bought this product? I'm trying to decide whether to
>>exchange it or get my money back.
>

> I've had a Drinkwell fountain for my crew for 9 months now and it's still as
> silent as when I first got it.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

OTOH, my Drinkwell does make a noticible motor noise, but not enough to
be annoying unless there's no background noise. Normally though, it's
the same volume as the water noise.

jmc

Sandra
November 18th 05, 07:00 AM
Have a look at the pump. it could be blocked up, and that will make it
noisy.

--
Sandra

Cory
November 18th 05, 07:50 PM
I took the pump apart and it was totally clean inside. I checked and
rechecked that it was solidly seated on its suction cups when I put it
back together. I did notice when I brought it home and took it out of
the box that it had been repackaged as if it had been returned by
someone else. I'm not hearing much complaining from other fountain
owners here so I guess it's not a common problem. I'd appreciate
hearing from anyone who has one: a) what brand it is, b) how long
you've had it and c) would you be able to sleep in the same room with
it.

Sandra wrote:
> Have a look at the pump. it could be blocked up, and that will make it
> noisy.
>
> --
> Sandra

Joe Canuck
November 18th 05, 09:35 PM
Cory wrote:

> I took the pump apart and it was totally clean inside. I checked and
> rechecked that it was solidly seated on its suction cups when I put it
> back together. I did notice when I brought it home and took it out of
> the box that it had been repackaged as if it had been returned by
> someone else. I'm not hearing much complaining from other fountain
> owners here so I guess it's not a common problem. I'd appreciate
> hearing from anyone who has one: a) what brand it is, b) how long
> you've had it and c) would you be able to sleep in the same room with
> it.
>
> Sandra wrote:
>
>>Have a look at the pump. it could be blocked up, and that will make it
>>noisy.
>>
>>--
>>Sandra

Joe Canuck
November 18th 05, 09:39 PM
Cory wrote:

> I took the pump apart and it was totally clean inside. I checked and
> rechecked that it was solidly seated on its suction cups when I put it
> back together. I did notice when I brought it home and took it out of
> the box that it had been repackaged as if it had been returned by
> someone else. I'm not hearing much complaining from other fountain
> owners here so I guess it's not a common problem. I'd appreciate
> hearing from anyone who has one:

> a) what brand it is,

Drinkwell.

> b) how long you've had it and

At least 5 years.

> c) would you be able to sleep in the same room with it.

Absolutely, and I have done that.

Mind you, it isn't whisper quiet... but I don't find it objectionable.
But keep in mind that I like to have some noise (white noise) when
falling asleep to block out the background noise... I only need this
when it isn't *dead* quiet as it is at the cottage 20 miles up the lake
with no neighbours in sight.

November 24th 05, 12:08 PM
Cory wrote:
> I just got a Petmate Fresh Flow fountain for my cat recently and while
> the pump was almost silent when I first turned it on, it now has an
> irritating noise that comes and goes. What are the experiences of
> others who have bought this product? I'm trying to decide whether to
> exchange it or get my money back.

Cory, i read in an older post about the same fountain that the noise
you are hearing usually occurs when the water in the reservoir is low
(as observed by one user) and is a good way to remind you that you need
to refill the reservoir.

you can find it here:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.pets.cats.health+behav/msg/2acc81b5c845360d

Cory
November 25th 05, 06:42 AM
Low water level was never an issue. I was very careful about that.
Like I said earlier, when I got it home I noticed that it had been
repackaged. Apparently someone else had returned it before me, which
is what I'm going to do. When it was quiet, it was almost silent. It
was just intermittently silent. I'm going to exchange this one for
another, only this time I'll open it at the store to be sure I'm not
getting someone else's lemon.