PDA

View Full Version : leather sofas as attractive to cats?

scullycat
November 17th 05, 08:43 PM
Hi all,
I am replacing my sofas and I want a general concensus. I know that cats
claw fabric sofas; but in your experiences' do they (in general) claw
leather sofas, chairs etc.
I know have fabric, and my cat will claw at it at times. I do have a short
clawing post which she will use. But, she is doing sig. damage to the
fabric.
I also like the low maintenance of leather. What do you think. and thanks

CatNipped
November 17th 05, 09:24 PM
"scullycat" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi all,
> I am replacing my sofas and I want a general concensus. I know that cats
> claw fabric sofas; but in your experiences' do they (in general) claw
> leather sofas, chairs etc.
> I know have fabric, and my cat will claw at it at times. I do have a short
> clawing post which she will use. But, she is doing sig. damage to the
> fabric.
> I also like the low maintenance of leather. What do you think. and thanks

What I would worry about is rips in the leather caused by them jumping onto
and off of the furniture even if they don't sharpen their claws on it.
JMHO.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Karen
November 17th 05, 09:35 PM
Mine never made noise unless the water got low. Make sure it is topped off.

"scullycat" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi all,
> I am replacing my sofas and I want a general concensus. I know that cats
> claw fabric sofas; but in your experiences' do they (in general) claw
> leather sofas, chairs etc.
> I know have fabric, and my cat will claw at it at times. I do have a short
> clawing post which she will use. But, she is doing sig. damage to the
> fabric.
> I also like the low maintenance of leather. What do you think. and thanks

Karen
November 17th 05, 09:39 PM
Ack. SOrry. THis was supposed to be under the "petmate" thread.

"Karen" > wrote in message
> Mine never made noise unless the water got low. Make sure it is topped
off.

> "scullycat" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Hi all,
> > I am replacing my sofas and I want a general concensus. I know that cats
> > claw fabric sofas; but in your experiences' do they (in general) claw
> > leather sofas, chairs etc.
> > I know have fabric, and my cat will claw at it at times. I do have a
short
> > clawing post which she will use. But, she is doing sig. damage to the
> > fabric.
> > I also like the low maintenance of leather. What do you think. and
thanks

PawsForThought
November 17th 05, 11:50 PM
I have a leather sofa and a leather chair. My cats do not like either
one. I think they prefer something that is more cuddly to them. The
leather chair is by their cat tree and sometimes when flying up or down
the cat tree, they land on the leather chair. But I can't see any
damage at all. I also keep my cats claws trimmed.

No More Retail
November 17th 05, 11:58 PM
I don't know if this makes a difference I had a leather manager chair and a
fabric chair they loved the leather chair and I keep their claws trimmed

Steve Crane
November 18th 05, 12:08 AM
scullycat wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am replacing my sofas and I want a general concensus. I know that cats
> claw fabric sofas; but in your experiences' do they (in general) claw
> leather sofas, chairs etc.
> I know have fabric, and my cat will claw at it at times. I do have a short
> clawing post which she will use. But, she is doing sig. damage to the
> fabric.
> I also like the low maintenance of leather. What do you think. and thanks

We haven't had any problems with the leather part of the sofa and
chair, but the back of the sofa is a fabric of some kind and on
occasions we've caught her working it over. No guarantees of
course.........

scullycat
November 18th 05, 02:01 AM
now I'm really confused..thanks .I have to give it more thought. It's true ;
if she did claw the leather, it would be over for the couch very quick. plus
my cat fights me when I try to clip her claws; it's a big production, any
hints please

"Steve Crane" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> scullycat wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am replacing my sofas and I want a general concensus. I know that cats
>> claw fabric sofas; but in your experiences' do they (in general) claw
>> leather sofas, chairs etc.
>> I know have fabric, and my cat will claw at it at times. I do have a
>> short
>> clawing post which she will use. But, she is doing sig. damage to the
>> fabric.
>> I also like the low maintenance of leather. What do you think. and thanks
>
> We haven't had any problems with the leather part of the sofa and
> chair, but the back of the sofa is a fabric of some kind and on
> occasions we've caught her working it over. No guarantees of
> course.........

November 18th 05, 02:14 AM
I think it depends on the cat, honestly. I have a leather chair and a
fabric sofa. And two cats. One mildly abuses the fabric and really
can't stand the leather chair. The other sleeps in the leather chair
(although she sheds on it, rather than shredding it). They're all
individuals and they have their preferences!

Sandra
November 18th 05, 06:03 AM
We have leather couches and chairs. Both of our cats happily curl up on any
of it. The only scratching on it is caused by them leaping up and down, and
when they get the zoomies. It no longer looks pristine but we just accept
that.

--
Sandra

Wendy
November 18th 05, 12:38 PM
"scullycat" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> now I'm really confused..thanks .I have to give it more thought. It's true
> ; if she did claw the leather, it would be over for the couch very quick.
> plus my cat fights me when I try to clip her claws; it's a big production,
> any hints please

Best try clipping claws during the cat's quiet time. Do you have someone who
can help you with the claw clipping? One friend of mine holds her kitty and
pets it while her Mom clips the claws. I've been known to wrap the kitty in
a towel to get them done but I usually only need to do that the first time
or two with a kitten. After that I've never had a cat give me much of an
argument. You could try just clipping one or two claws a day until you get
them all done. Or if all else fails take the kitty to the groomer. I think
the groomers in Pet Smart will do cat's claws and for that matter, will
apply soft paws if you decide to try using them to save the furniture.

Is your scratching post large and sturdy enough for the cat? They don't like
using a post that can be tipped. You could also try the cardboard
scratchers. Many have said that their cats love them. Usually if you have
something really fun to scratch and stretch on the cat will leave the
furniture etc. alone.

Wendy

AZ Nomad
November 18th 05, 01:16 PM
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 02:01:20 GMT, scullycat > wrote:

>now I'm really confused..thanks .I have to give it more thought. It's true ;
>if she did claw the leather, it would be over for the couch very quick. plus
>my cat fights me when I try to clip her claws; it's a big production, any
>hints please

Cats usually don't like leather; too cold. They can still damage a leather
couch if it's on the way to a desired place like a window sill; the claws
might leave pinpricks over a well traveled area. I've never found it bad
enough to care.

whitershadeofpale
November 18th 05, 04:18 PM
scullycat wrote:
> Hi all,
> I also like the low maintenance of leather. What do you think. and thanks

why not just buy a cow and put it in the living room

the cats can scratch, eat, and drink all from the same cow / in that
order
and...they come in all sorts of colors

Barb
November 18th 05, 04:56 PM
My leather sofas are appealing to my cats. They love to lie on the backs of
the pillows. I don't notice any claw marks. The leather ottoman is a
different story. You can see they have used it as a springing board and it
has tears. I live with this.

I would not have anything else because the leather is so easy to clean. I'd
rather have spanking clean furniture with a few tears than fabric furniture.
Fabric gets torn, anyway.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

PawsForThought
November 18th 05, 07:47 PM
scullycat wrote:
> now I'm really confused..thanks .I have to give it more thought. It's true ;
> if she did claw the leather, it would be over for the couch very quick. plus
> my cat fights me when I try to clip her claws; it's a big production, any
> hints please

You could try using a towel and wrap kitty burrito like and then extend
one paw at a time, or you could buy a Klaw Kontrol Bag:
http://www.klaw-kontrol.com/
My vet uses one of these on one of my cats who's squirmy, and it really
works great and seems to calm my cat too.

Jim Vecchiola
November 18th 05, 08:38 PM
My two cats - both have all their claws - do not use my leather
furniture as a clawing post. That's the good news - unfortunately, they
do like to rest on the top of the sofa and they sometimes use their back
claws to gain a grip while they're jumping up. Since my sofa is a dark
navy color, there are a few "scratches" - not deep - that marks their
progress.

KR2T

scullycat wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am replacing my sofas and I want a general concensus. I know that cats
> claw fabric sofas; but in your experiences' do they (in general) claw
> leather sofas, chairs etc.
> I know have fabric, and my cat will claw at it at times. I do have a short
> clawing post which she will use. But, she is doing sig. damage to the
> fabric.
> I also like the low maintenance of leather. What do you think. and thanks

-L.
November 18th 05, 08:40 PM
scullycat wrote:
> now I'm really confused..thanks .I have to give it more thought. It's true ;
> if she did claw the leather, it would be over for the couch very quick. plus
> my cat fights me when I try to clip her claws; it's a big production, any
> hints please

>From an old post of mine:

My experience is that the more you do it, the more they get used to
it.

Good technique and tools are esssential. I like to use the
small, blunt-nosed, notched, scissor-like clippers (Groommax Cat Nail
Clippers:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?ADD_CART_ITEM%3C%3Esku_id=16899 49371942377&ADD_CART_ITEM%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441778153&ADD_CART_ITEM%3C%3Equantity=1&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441777735&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033731&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmForm=frm_add_to_cart&bmFormID=1103027513655&bmSubmit=add_to_cart&bmUID=1103027513655&bmHash=9e3d0666c22e452480e2e2f54d47208699ac8b6b
as they are less obtrusive and easier to handle. I've trimmed claws on
hundreds of cats (used to be a groomer), and those work for me. You
will
eventually find a set of tools and a routine that works for you, if
you stick with it long enough. Also, the vet can give you lessons in
technique if you need them.

The method I use is this:

While standing, place the cat on a folded towel, on an *unfamiliar*++
table, with his head to your left. Put his body close to yours so
that you can lean to the outside (furthest from your body) and clip
first the fronts, and then the backs (or vice-verse - I do both).
When clipping the fronts, I pull the paw up and out, and kinda behind
their head, so that if they do try to bite, they have to go past their
own arm to do so, which gives me enough time to get away. When
clipping the backs, I just pull the foot out, or in some cases, I
gently flip it back. As I do the backs, I block the head with my arm
and elbow, so that the cat can't reach around and bite.

Flip kitty 180 degrees (this is why you have him on a towel), and
repeat the procedure on the other side. Let go, and watch him fly!
;o)

Obviously, if you have any cats that are real biters (rather than
nippers), you have to have someone scruff them while you trim their
nails. If the cat remains difficult to trim, I suggest having your
vet do it for you (should be free or less than $10). Also, the vet
may be able to help you improve your technique so that it becomes
much easier for you.

++The reason you put the cat in an unfamiliar place to do the
trimming is that it distracts the cat, and allows it to focus on
something other than biting you. If you trim in the cat's own
"territory" it knows exactly where to move, where to jump to, and
where to hide. I do the trimming on my kitchen island, since that is
a place the cats are not familiar with. A folding table in an
attached garage would serve the same purpose.

HTH,
-L.

scullycat
November 18th 05, 10:33 PM
great ideas, Wendy, thanks. what are soft paws..btw
"Wendy" > wrote in message

> "scullycat" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> now I'm really confused..thanks .I have to give it more thought. It's
>> true ; if she did claw the leather, it would be over for the couch very
>> quick. plus my cat fights me when I try to clip her claws; it's a big
>> production, any hints please
>>
> Best try clipping claws during the cat's quiet time. Do you have someone
> who can help you with the claw clipping? One friend of mine holds her
> kitty and pets it while her Mom clips the claws. I've been known to wrap
> the kitty in a towel to get them done but I usually only need to do that
> the first time or two with a kitten. After that I've never had a cat give
> me much of an argument. You could try just clipping one or two claws a day
> until you get them all done. Or if all else fails take the kitty to the
> groomer. I think the groomers in Pet Smart will do cat's claws and for
> that matter, will apply soft paws if you decide to try using them to save
> the furniture.
>
> Is your scratching post large and sturdy enough for the cat? They don't
> like using a post that can be tipped. You could also try the cardboard
> scratchers. Many have said that their cats love them. Usually if you have
> something really fun to scratch and stretch on the cat will leave the
> furniture etc. alone.
>
> Wendy

Willow
November 18th 05, 11:55 PM
It's a good trick but if depends on how determined your cat is..

Didn't work with Gaya *shows scars on arms and shoulder to prove it*

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

oups.com...