PDA

View Full Version : what should I do with this lovely cat?

jingong
November 18th 05, 03:43 AM
I live in an apartment and one of my neighbor abandoned a cat when they
moved away. Now this cat is in my apartment. It's really a sweetie. But cat
is new to me, so I have no idea how to take care of him(I think it's a boy).
I fed him sausage and he did not eat much. Yes I prepare clean water in a
bowl and he drank some. Now I am going to buy something really for him. On
the list there are cat food and cat litter. I am not sure about
others....Anything else should I buy for him?

whitershadeofpale
November 18th 05, 03:51 AM
jingong wrote:
> I live in an apartment and one of my neighbor abandoned a cat when they
> moved away. ... not sure about
> others....Anything else should I buy for him?

Well that sure was a sorry thing to do!
Looks like you are going to get all the love they never took the time
to notice.

Cheers to you and your new best friend.

No More Retail
November 18th 05, 04:10 AM
http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/faq-list.shtml

Rhonda
November 18th 05, 04:39 AM
How nice of you to care for the cat! I can't believe the other people
left him like that. If they were that negligent, it might be a good idea
to have a vet check him over when you can (and you'd need to get a cat
carrier before the trip.)

Other than food and litter, you might want to pick up some toys for him.
That will help disperse some energy and nervousness. A cat scratching
post would be good to help keep him from scratching the furniture. Cat
bowls for food and water -- I usually get cheap ones (human ones) from a
thrift store. Those things cost a bundle in a pet store!

There are many other things you could get to spoil him -- just take a
look around Petsmart or Petco! Our cats love the round cat beds.

Hope he eats the cat food. Sausage is probably a bit spicy for him.

Hope all goes well with you and kitty,

Rhonda

jingong wrote:

> I live in an apartment and one of my neighbor abandoned a cat when they
> moved away. Now this cat is in my apartment. It's really a sweetie. But cat
> is new to me, so I have no idea how to take care of him(I think it's a boy).
> I fed him sausage and he did not eat much. Yes I prepare clean water in a
> bowl and he drank some. Now I am going to buy something really for him. On
> the list there are cat food and cat litter. I am not sure about
> others....Anything else should I buy for him?

November 18th 05, 05:31 AM
You are a good egg to take care of him. Litter is a must, and to start
with I would get a decent quality dry food (there are several to try -
most cats will eat Nutro or Royal Canin or Science Diet without too
much trouble) and I'd pick up some Fancy Feast (the grilled varieties
are good) as a supplement. You could also pick up some treats - most
cats like Kitty Kisses or the Whiskas Temptations or Pounce. A carrier
will eventually be needed. When you have the money, a cat tree is a
good investment, but in the meantime you might want to start with a
scratching post (either a 3' rope covered post or one of the cardboard
alpine slanted boxes or a doorknob hanger). A feather wand toy is good
for interactive play as well as a few fuzzy mice for batting around. An
old throw is probably fine as a bed (assuming he doesn't sleep with
you) and usually if you just put it where he likes to hang out, then
that will work fine. Anything soft and fuzzy will do. And a little
catnip never hurts.

Thank you for giving the little guy a new home.

mlbriggs
November 18th 05, 06:11 AM
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:43:56 -0700, jingong wrote:

> I live in an apartment and one of my neighbor abandoned a cat when they
> moved away. Now this cat is in my apartment. It's really a sweetie. But
> cat is new to me, so I have no idea how to take care of him(I think it's a
> boy). I fed him sausage and he did not eat much. Yes I prepare clean water
> in a bowl and he drank some. Now I am going to buy something really for
> him. On the list there are cat food and cat litter. I am not sure about
> others....Anything else should I buy for him?

A few toys would be nice and fix a comfy bed for him. On the other hand,
he may want to sleep on your bed close to you. You will learn to love
cats. MLB

jingong
November 18th 05, 06:33 AM
Thanks a lot for all your great responses. I just got a box of Frieskie's
for him (that's what I can find tonight) and it seems that he enjoys it very
much...I'll learn how to take care of him. And it seems that it didnot take
him any time to get used to this new place..He already had two naps on the
sofa in living room...I think he is tired . At least tonight he won't have
to sleep outside...Ok.
Thanks for your help once again.

"jingong" > 写入消息新闻:[email protected]
>I live in an apartment and one of my neighbor abandoned a cat when they
>moved away. Now this cat is in my apartment. It's really a sweetie. But cat
>is new to me, so I have no idea how to take care of him(I think it's a
>boy). I fed him sausage and he did not eat much. Yes I prepare clean water
>in a bowl and he drank some. Now I am going to buy something really for
>him. On the list there are cat food and cat litter. I am not sure about
>others....Anything else should I buy for him?

ratch
November 18th 05, 06:40 AM
jingong wrote:
>I'll learn how to take care of him. And it seems that it didnot take
> him any time to get used to this new place..He already had two naps on the
> sofa in living room...I think he is tired . At least tonight he won't have
> to sleep outside...Ok.
> Thanks for your help once again.

That is awsome!

I don't mean to be jumpin the gun here...but you might be thinking
about a name for him.

What color is he

cybercat
November 18th 05, 07:07 AM
"jingong" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I live in an apartment and one of my neighbor abandoned a cat when they
> moved away. Now this cat is in my apartment. It's really a sweetie. But
cat
> is new to me, so I have no idea how to take care of him(I think it's a
boy).
> I fed him sausage and he did not eat much. Yes I prepare clean water in a
> bowl and he drank some. Now I am going to buy something really for him. On
> the list there are cat food and cat litter. I am not sure about
> others....Anything else should I buy for him?

First, post a photo of him! Get him good canned cat food (first ingredient
Meat,
not by products) and a good scoopable litter, dust free. A nice litter box
and
scooper. A little brush so you can brush him. Bless you for taking him in!
He
will surely be your heart's delight for years. (He will need some things to
scratch,
too.)

cybercat
November 18th 05, 07:11 AM
"jingong" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thanks a lot for all your great responses. I just got a box of Frieskie's
> for him (that's what I can find tonight) and it seems that he enjoys it
very
> much...I'll learn how to take care of him. And it seems that it didnot
take
> him any time to get used to this new place..He already had two naps on the
> sofa in living room...I think he is tired . At least tonight he won't have
> to sleep outside...Ok.
> Thanks for your help once again.

Please keep posting so we can hear all about him!

jingong
November 18th 05, 04:15 PM
Yes a name...so far got no idea about name. I hope I can after we get to
know more about each other...
and color...he is yellow. I am sorry but I don't know how to describe cat's
color . To me ,he is yellow,with some very very light pattern on it. He is a
big boy, around 10 lbs I guess. But his tone amazed me-it sounds like a
little kittie. I am curious about his age. But obviously he'd prefer to keep
it a secret...

"cybercat" > ...

> "jingong" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Thanks a lot for all your great responses. I just got a box of Frieskie's
>> for him (that's what I can find tonight) and it seems that he enjoys it
> very
>> much...I'll learn how to take care of him. And it seems that it didnot
> take
>> him any time to get used to this new place..He already had two naps on
>> the
>> sofa in living room...I think he is tired . At least tonight he won't
>> have
>> to sleep outside...Ok.
>> Thanks for your help once again.
>>

> Please keep posting so we can hear all about him!

jingong
November 18th 05, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your pointers.Yes I have two pictures of him posted. check it
out.
http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189123756.jpg

The forum is in Chinese...sorry for that. I posted them there because
that's where i used to go.

I'll keep updating now and then.

"cybercat" > ...

> "jingong" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> I live in an apartment and one of my neighbor abandoned a cat when they
>> moved away. Now this cat is in my apartment. It's really a sweetie. But
> cat
>> is new to me, so I have no idea how to take care of him(I think it's a
> boy).
>> I fed him sausage and he did not eat much. Yes I prepare clean water in a
>> bowl and he drank some. Now I am going to buy something really for him.
>> On
>> the list there are cat food and cat litter. I am not sure about
>> others....Anything else should I buy for him?
>>

> First, post a photo of him! Get him good canned cat food (first ingredient
> Meat,
> not by products) and a good scoopable litter, dust free. A nice litter box
> and
> scooper. A little brush so you can brush him. Bless you for taking him in!
> He
> will surely be your heart's delight for years. (He will need some things
> scratch,
> too.)

cybercat
November 18th 05, 04:33 PM
"jingong" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Yes a name...so far got no idea about name. I hope I can after we get to
> know more about each other...
> and color...he is yellow. I am sorry but I don't know how to describe
cat's
> color . To me ,he is yellow,with some very very light pattern on it.

Very pretty! Many people call these cats "orange," but if yours is lighter
in color maybe he is tan. He sounds totally beautiful. I want to see his
picture!

He is a
> big boy, around 10 lbs I guess. But his tone amazed me-it sounds like a
> little kittie.

I love it when great big boys have little tiny meows. It's cute.

>I am curious about his age. But obviously he'd prefer to keep
> it a secret...

My vet told me that it is really hard to guess age in adult cats until
the teeth are worn enough or there is enough plaque built up that
this shows the age. But when you take your boy for a checkup
(it is not expensive) and to be neutered (you don't want him
spraying in your house or crying to get out all the time) ask
your vet how old he thinks he is.

cybercat
November 18th 05, 04:36 PM
"jingong" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thanks for your pointers.Yes I have two pictures of him posted. check it
> out.
> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189123756.jpg

He's beautiful!! I want a big orange boy cat! I can see why you call him
yellow,
it is really between orange and yellow somewhere. He looks very healthy.

> The forum is in Chinese...sorry for that. I posted them there because
> that's where i used to go.

Pictures are universal!

> I'll keep updating now and then.

I will look forward to it. You have a fine looking boy.

jingong
November 18th 05, 04:45 PM
Another pic.

http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189644811.jpg

"jingong" > 写入消息新闻:[email protected]
> Thanks for your pointers.Yes I have two pictures of him posted. check it
> out.
> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189123756.jpg
>
> The forum is in Chinese...sorry for that. I posted them there because
> that's where i used to go.
>
> I'll keep updating now and then.
>

> "cybercat" > ...
>>
>> "jingong" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> I live in an apartment and one of my neighbor abandoned a cat when they
>>> moved away. Now this cat is in my apartment. It's really a sweetie. But
>> cat
>>> is new to me, so I have no idea how to take care of him(I think it's a
>> boy).
>>> I fed him sausage and he did not eat much. Yes I prepare clean water in
>>> bowl and he drank some. Now I am going to buy something really for him.
>>> On
>>> the list there are cat food and cat litter. I am not sure about
>>> others....Anything else should I buy for him?
>>>

>> First, post a photo of him! Get him good canned cat food (first
>> ingredient
>> Meat,
>> not by products) and a good scoopable litter, dust free. A nice litter
>> box
>> and
>> scooper. A little brush so you can brush him. Bless you for taking him
>> in!
>> He
>> will surely be your heart's delight for years. (He will need some things
>> scratch,
>> too.)

Dick Peavey
November 18th 05, 04:56 PM
He's loveable! And the picture is easy to understand in any language.

BTW, for my curiosity, what is "meow" in Mandarin? In Cantonese?

Dick

"jingong" > wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
> Another pic.
>
> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189644811.jpg
>

> "jingong" > 写入消息新闻:[email protected]
>> Thanks for your pointers.Yes I have two pictures of him posted. check
>> it out.
>> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189123756.jpg
>>
>> The forum is in Chinese...sorry for that. I posted them there because
>> that's where i used to go.
>>
>> I'll keep updating now and then.
>>

>> "cybercat" >
>>>
>>> "jingong" > wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]
>>> cat
>>> boy).
>>>>

>>> First, post a photo of him! Get him good canned cat food (first
>>> ingredient
>>> Meat,
>>> not by products) and a good scoopable litter, dust free. A nice litter
>>> box
>>> and
>>> scooper. A little brush so you can brush him. Bless you for taking him
>>> in!
>>> He
>>> will surely be your heart's delight for years. (He will need some things
>>> scratch,
>>> too.)

Dick Peavey
November 18th 05, 04:58 PM
"jingong" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Yes a name...so far got no idea about name. I hope I can after we get to
> know more about each other...
> and color...he is yellow. I am sorry but I don't know how to describe
> cat's color . To me ,he is yellow,with some very very light pattern on it.
> He is a big boy, around 10 lbs I guess. But his tone amazed me-it sounds
> like a little kittie. I am curious about his age. But obviously he'd
> prefer to keep it a secret...

I would call him a ginger tabby.

A vet can tell you his age by looking at his teeth. And also if he is a he.

Dick

cybercat
November 18th 05, 05:01 PM
"jingong" > wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
> Another pic.
>
> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189644811.jpg

Oh what a happy cat!! Don't you feel great? You saved him and
brought him in where he is safe. Does he like to be petted?
He looks like a snuggler. In this photo he does look more tan
or yellow than orange.

cybercat
November 18th 05, 05:07 PM
"Dick Peavey" > wrote :

> I would call him a ginger tabby.

Perfect. That is exactly his color.

> A vet can tell you his age by looking at his teeth.

My vet said the teeth can help with age after a certain age, but
between, say, 2 years and 6 years are not much help.

>And also if he is a he.

He sure looks like a boy to me! But yes, I imagine it would be
best to go on more than his face. :)

jingong
November 18th 05, 05:23 PM
In mandarin there is a word "喵" (cannot be showed properly in an english OS
i am afraid) for "meow" and it has the exactly same pronoucation with
'meow'.

maybe he will bacome a bilimgual cat.:)

"Dick Peavey" > ...
> He's loveable! And the picture is easy to understand in any language.
>
> BTW, for my curiosity, what is "meow" in Mandarin? In Cantonese?
>
> Dick
>
> "jingong" > wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]
>> Another pic.
>>
>> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189644811.jpg
>>

>> "jingong" > 写入消息新闻:[email protected]
>>> Thanks for your pointers.Yes I have two pictures of him posted. check
>>> it out.
>>> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189123756.jpg
>>>
>>> The forum is in Chinese...sorry for that. I posted them there because
>>> that's where i used to go.
>>>
>>> I'll keep updating now and then.
>>>

>>> "cybercat" > ...

whitershadeofpale
November 18th 05, 05:33 PM
jingong wrote:

> [...]

does he do any tricks?

he's very handsome, he looks like a big cat!

im working behind my house today, emptying a small block building.
Its going to be a new home for a small feral colony that hangs around
(just stepped in for a sip of water)

jingong
November 18th 05, 05:35 PM
He really loves people. He would show his happiness to you without any
hesitation as long as you pat him or talk to him.
Snuggler...exactly. He enjoys sleepping on my laps or at least touching me
with his claws.
Now he is sleeping again after his breakfast.I can do some research on vet
online now.

"cybercat" > ...

> "jingong" > wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]
>> Another pic.
>>
>> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189644811.jpg
>>

> Oh what a happy cat!! Don't you feel great? You saved him and
> brought him in where he is safe. Does he like to be petted?
> He looks like a snuggler. In this photo he does look more tan
> or yellow than orange.

chas
November 18th 05, 05:39 PM
Welcome to world of cats!

Be prepared to find time just disappears as everything you intended to do in
a day gets puts back whilst you watch,play and get to know your new friend.

You won't be disappointed.

chas

Rhonda
November 18th 05, 05:42 PM
Ah, it's wonderful to see him so happy and relaxed. He is a very lucky
cat to have found you.

Rhonda

jingong wrote:

> Another pic.
>
> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189644811.jpg

Juls
November 18th 05, 06:31 PM
In article <%[email protected]>, "jingong" >
wrote:

> Another pic.
>
> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189644811.jpg

Oh my god, what a beautiful big boy!!! How can anyone just abandon a
sweetheart like that?

Bless you for adopting him!!! He'll give you more joy than you imagine.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Juls
November 18th 05, 06:36 PM
wrote:

> I live in an apartment and one of my neighbor abandoned a cat when they
> moved away. Now this cat is in my apartment. It's really a sweetie. But cat
> is new to me, so I have no idea how to take care of him(I think it's a boy).
> I fed him sausage and he did not eat much. Yes I prepare clean water in a
> bowl and he drank some. Now I am going to buy something really for him. On
> the list there are cat food and cat litter. I am not sure about
> others....Anything else should I buy for him?

In case someone didn't mention it, you might have an old brush you don't
use, or buy a brush. He just looks like a guy who would LOVE being
brushed. He looks like such a big-hearted sweetie.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

cybercat
November 18th 05, 06:55 PM
"Juls" > wrote :

> In case someone didn't mention it, you might have an old brush you don't
> use, or buy a brush. He just looks like a guy who would LOVE being
> brushed. He looks like such a big-hearted sweetie.

An excellent suggestion! Good for bonding and building trust.

cybercat
November 18th 05, 06:59 PM
"jingong" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> He really loves people. He would show his happiness to you without any
> hesitation as long as you pat him or talk to him.
> Snuggler...exactly. He enjoys sleepping on my laps or at least touching me
> with his claws.

You have found a total gem. Not all cats are that affectionate.

> Now he is sleeping again after his breakfast.I can do some research on vet
> online now.

You'll feel better once you get him checked out. I am so happy for the
two of you.

Karen
November 18th 05, 08:03 PM
Very handsome!! I guess I would call him an orange tabby. What a nice cat.

"jingong" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thanks for your pointers.Yes I have two pictures of him posted. check it
> out.
> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189123756.jpg
>
> The forum is in Chinese...sorry for that. I posted them there because
> that's where i used to go.
>
> I'll keep updating now and then.
>

> "cybercat" > ...
> >
> > "jingong" > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> I live in an apartment and one of my neighbor abandoned a cat when they
> >> moved away. Now this cat is in my apartment. It's really a sweetie. But
> > cat
> >> is new to me, so I have no idea how to take care of him(I think it's a
> > boy).
> >> I fed him sausage and he did not eat much. Yes I prepare clean water in
> >> bowl and he drank some. Now I am going to buy something really for him.
> >> On
> >> the list there are cat food and cat litter. I am not sure about
> >> others....Anything else should I buy for him?
> >>

> > First, post a photo of him! Get him good canned cat food (first
ingredient
> > Meat,
> > not by products) and a good scoopable litter, dust free. A nice litter
box
> > and
> > scooper. A little brush so you can brush him. Bless you for taking him
in!
> > He
> > will surely be your heart's delight for years. (He will need some things
> > scratch,
> > too.)

Karen
November 18th 05, 08:04 PM
He is going to make you a lovely companion!

"jingong" > wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
> Another pic.
>
> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189644811.jpg
>

> "jingong" > 写入消息新闻:[email protected]
> > Thanks for your pointers.Yes I have two pictures of him posted. check
it
> > out.
> > http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189123756.jpg
> >
> > The forum is in Chinese...sorry for that. I posted them there because
> > that's where i used to go.
> >
> > I'll keep updating now and then.
> >

> > "cybercat" >
> >>
> >> "jingong" > wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]
But
> >> cat
> >> boy).
> >>>

> >> First, post a photo of him! Get him good canned cat food (first
> >> ingredient
> >> Meat,
> >> not by products) and a good scoopable litter, dust free. A nice litter
> >> box
> >> and
> >> scooper. A little brush so you can brush him. Bless you for taking him
> >> in!
> >> He
> >> will surely be your heart's delight for years. (He will need some
things
> >> scratch,
> >> too.)

5cats
November 18th 05, 08:48 PM
jingong wrote:

> Another pic.
>
> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189644811.jpg

He's beautiful!

I can't understand how anyone could move away and leave a sweetie like that
behind.

Kimberly via CatKB.com
November 18th 05, 09:00 PM
He's soooo cute. You say he's a "snuggler"....maybe call him "Snuggles"??

jingong wrote:
>He really loves people. He would show his happiness to you without any
>hesitation as long as you pat him or talk to him.
>Snuggler...exactly. He enjoys sleepping on my laps or at least touching me
>with his claws.
>Now he is sleeping again after his breakfast.I can do some research on vet
>online now.
>
>"cybercat" > ...
>
>>> Another pic.
>>>
>[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
>> He looks like a snuggler. In this photo he does look more tan
>> or yellow than orange.

Dick Peavey
November 18th 05, 09:32 PM
Interesting. I've been collecting off and on representations of animal
sounds in several languages. For chickens in English it is
cock-a-doodle-doo; in French cocorico, in German kikeriki. Dogs are bow-wow,
but bao-bao in Spanish.

I've got to start on cats.

Dick

"jingong" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In mandarin there is a word "喵" (cannot be showed properly in an english
> OS i am afraid) for "meow" and it has the exactly same pronoucation with
> 'meow'.
>
> maybe he will bacome a bilimgual cat.:)
>

> "Dick Peavey" > ...
>> He's loveable! And the picture is easy to understand in any language.
>>
>> BTW, for my curiosity, what is "meow" in Mandarin? In Cantonese?
>>
>> Dick
>>
>> "jingong" > wrote in message
>> news:%[email protected]
>>> Another pic.
>>>
>>> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189644811.jpg
>>>

>>> "jingong" > 写入消息新闻:[email protected]

Juls
November 18th 05, 09:51 PM
In article >,
"Dick Peavey" > wrote:

> Interesting. I've been collecting off and on representations of animal
> sounds in several languages. For chickens in English it is
> cock-a-doodle-doo; in French cocorico, in German kikeriki. Dogs are bow-wow,
> but bao-bao in Spanish.
>
> I've got to start on cats.

In Russian, you call a cat by going kssss kssss kssss, real fast. I've
tried that on American cats and they don't like it much.

When I lived in Russia (attending university), I adopted a stray cat and
named him Vladimir Ilyich Lenin. I called him Volodya. And when I left,
I found him a nice home with some friends who loved him til he died.

There was an old man who always saw me feeding the cats outdoors, and he
used to always say to me "Take all these cats back to America with you!"

I would have loved to.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

cybercat
November 19th 05, 03:09 AM
"Diane" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> 5cats > wrote:
>
> > > Another pic.
> > >
> > > http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189644811.jpg
> > >

> > He's beautiful!
> >
> > I can't understand how anyone could move away and leave a sweetie like
that
> > behind.
>
> Notice he doesn't seem all that depressed about it, either!

He's found the perfect new owner!

jingong
November 19th 05, 03:29 AM
He eats and drinks water normally. But so far he hasn't pee. Actully he
stepped into the litter box once this afternoon once and did scracth the
litter as if he were going to do something...but nothing he did just came
out...I don't think he has
pee in any other place since he came.

I am worrying.But he still looks very good.

"jingong" > 写入消息新闻:[email protected]
>I live in an apartment and one of my neighbor abandoned a cat when they
>moved away. Now this cat is in my apartment. It's really a sweetie. But cat
>is new to me, so I have no idea how to take care of him(I think it's a
>boy). I fed him sausage and he did not eat much. Yes I prepare clean water
>in a bowl and he drank some. Now I am going to buy something really for
>him. On the list there are cat food and cat litter. I am not sure about
>others....Anything else should I buy for him?

whitershadeofpale
November 19th 05, 03:37 AM
whitershadeofpale wrote:

> Why not pick him up and put him over in the box...let him know it's
> cool to be in there.

yes

put litter box in a private room
put your cat in the box...pet him tell him good kitty good kitty

leave the private room...leave the door ajar...

I bet he's just scared to make water

you know...

Cheryl
November 19th 05, 03:41 AM
On Fri 18 Nov 2005 10:29:32p, jingong wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:[email protected]):

> He eats and drinks water normally. But so far he hasn't pee.
> Actully he stepped into the litter box once this afternoon once
> and did scracth the litter as if he were going to do
> something...but nothing he did just came out...I don't think he
> has pee in any other place since he came.
>
> I am worrying.But he still looks very good.

Since he's new, he could be "holding it" and scared. But normally 20
hours is too long for a cat to not pee. Does he come out where you
are during those 20 hours, or is he hiding the whole time? One of my
cats only pees a couple of times per day. He eats mainly canned food
so he gets lots of moist food, and when he pees he can go for almost
minutes at a strong steady stream. If I wasn't familiar with his pee
habits, I would be worried about how infrequently he goes.

--
Cheryl

jingong
November 19th 05, 05:52 AM
Yes enormous....actually he is bigger than all cats I have seen in China.
Next time I'll post a pic of him with something as reference for his size.

"Diane" > ...
> In article <[email protected]>, "jingong" >
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your pointers.Yes I have two pictures of him posted. check
>> it
>> out.
>> http://tangwest.net/bbs/UploadFile/2005-11/200511189123756.jpg
>
> Is he as ENORMOUS as he appears? :)
> --
> Web site: http://www.slywy.com/
> Message board: http://www.slywy.com/phpBB2/
> Journal: http://slywy.diaryland.com/

Dick Peavey
November 19th 05, 01:09 PM
"Juls" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dick Peavey" > wrote:
>
>> Interesting. I've been collecting off and on representations of animal
>> sounds in several languages. For chickens in English it is
>> cock-a-doodle-doo; in French cocorico, in German kikeriki. Dogs are
>> bow-wow,
>> but bao-bao in Spanish.
>>
>> I've got to start on cats.
>
> In Russian, you call a cat by going kssss kssss kssss, real fast. I've
> tried that on American cats and they don't like it much.

Sounds too much like hissing, I guess.

> When I lived in Russia (attending university), I adopted a stray cat and
> named him Vladimir Ilyich Lenin. I called him Volodya. And when I left,
> I found him a nice home with some friends who loved him til he died.

Volodya is the diminutive of Vladimir, I take it?

> There was an old man who always saw me feeding the cats outdoors, and he
> used to always say to me "Take all these cats back to America with you!"
>
> I would have loved to.
>
> --
> Email (remove annoying hyphens)
> j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

chas
November 19th 05, 05:49 PM
You should call him Smiler!

He has really 'smiley' eyes and he definitely looks like he is smiling on
that chair.

Actually your neighbour did you a favour (and him) - they brought you
together and you both seem made for each other.

Just think - you would have carried on life without knowing the joy of a cat
otherwise.

(Not that I am in any way in favour of the neighbour simply abandoning the
cat).

chas

November 29th 05, 08:11 AM
very nice looking cat! He will make you a good friend.
It means your noticed, when a cat bothers to meet 'n' greet ya!

chas
November 29th 05, 08:36 PM
How's he settling in?

chas