PDA

View Full Version : Winter essentials: Snuggle Safe, Heat Reflecting pads,..??

Kiran
November 18th 05, 04:47 AM
cybercat > wrote:

: "Kiran" > wrote in message
: > For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
: > cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
: > next few months more comfortable for her. What about:
: >
: > Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
: > Heat reflecting mattresses?
: > A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
: > Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?
: >
: > You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
: > must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
: > would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)
:
: How about keeping her inside where it is cozy? She would love that.
: Why won't you do that?

Oh yes, I am planning to keep her inside most of the time, but winter
is winter and all of the space is not uniformly warm. My question,
mainly, was about gadgets that will make her extra comfortable even
inside.

Kiran
November 18th 05, 08:02 AM
For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
next few months more comfortable for her. What about:

Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
Heat reflecting mattresses?
A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?

You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)

cybercat
November 18th 05, 08:10 AM
"Kiran" > wrote in message
> For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
> cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
> next few months more comfortable for her. What about:
>
> Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
> Heat reflecting mattresses?
> A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
> Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?
>
> You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
> must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
> would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)

How about keeping her inside where it is cozy? She would love that.
Why won't you do that?

whayface
November 18th 05, 02:22 PM
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:02:59 GMT, Kiran > wrote:

>For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
>cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
>next few months more comfortable for her. What about:
>
>Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
>Heat reflecting mattresses?
>A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
>Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?
>
>You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
>must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
>would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)

Keeping her inside where it is warm and safe is the best thing you can do for your baby if
you really care about her/him!!

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/strays.htm

Ali-Reza Anghaie
November 18th 05, 02:51 PM
In alt.pets.cats Kiran > wrote:
> For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
> cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
> next few months more comfortable for her. What about:

Don't worry about keeping her warm unless you intend to keep your
home as cold as the outdoors. She'll keep herself warm by finding a spot.

Worry about ~humidity~ in the house so it doesn't get so dry as to
annoy her skin or cause static. The surest way to have your cat avoid
you is by zapping it a few good times during winter.

-Ali

Karen
November 18th 05, 03:47 PM
"Kiran" > wrote in message
> For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
> cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
> next few months more comfortable for her. What about:
>
> Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
> Heat reflecting mattresses?
> A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
> Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?
>
> You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
> must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
> would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)

I don't know about the other things, but snuggle safes are great, especially
for older kitties that have arthritis.

Karen
November 18th 05, 03:59 PM
"Ali-Reza Anghaie" > wrote in message
> In alt.pets.cats Kiran > wrote:
> > For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
> > cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
> > next few months more comfortable for her. What about:
>
> Don't worry about keeping her warm unless you intend to keep your
> home as cold as the outdoors. She'll keep herself warm by finding a spot.
>
> Worry about ~humidity~ in the house so it doesn't get so dry as to
> annoy her skin or cause static. The surest way to have your cat avoid
> you is by zapping it a few good times during winter.
>
> -Ali

I'm personally addicted to buying blankets, cat trees and cat beds. It's so
fun when they really like one.

carola
November 18th 05, 04:13 PM
"Kiran" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
: For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
: cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
: next few months more comfortable for her. What about:
:
: Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
: Heat reflecting mattresses?
: A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
: Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?
:
: You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
: must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
: would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)

Wow! You're the sort of customer the pet industry is dreaming of LOL!
If my cats are cold they snuggle in with me in bed or lie on my knees while
watching television.

I like the hammocks that hang on the heaters, especially if it allows the
cat to look outside.

carola

cybercat
November 18th 05, 05:19 PM
"Kiran" > wrote in message
> cybercat > wrote:
>
> : "Kiran" > wrote in message
> : > For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
> : > cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
> : > next few months more comfortable for her. What about:
> : >
> : > Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
> : > Heat reflecting mattresses?
> : > A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
> : > Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?
> : >
> : > You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
> : > must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
> : > would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)
> :
> : How about keeping her inside where it is cozy? She would love that.
> : Why won't you do that?
>
> Oh yes, I am planning to keep her inside most of the time, but winter
> is winter and all of the space is not uniformly warm. My question,
> mainly, was about gadgets that will make her extra comfortable even
> inside.

I see. I don't think you have to worry too much, as cats always
find the warmest part of the house. One of my cats used to
hang out at the base of the refrigerator because it was warm
from the motor there. Until we got a new one that doesn't
get warm. Please be careful about heated things--as Catnipped
learned last spring, they can burn cats, and they have very
thin skins.

cybercat
November 18th 05, 05:26 PM
"whayface" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:02:59 GMT, Kiran > wrote:
>
> >For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
> >cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
> >next few months more comfortable for her. What about:
> >
> >Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
> >Heat reflecting mattresses?
> >A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
> >Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?
> >
> >You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
> >must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
> >would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)
>

> Keeping her inside where it is warm and safe is the best thing you can do
for your baby if
> you really care about her/him!!

Yep. I would not even let him out on the porch if it is too cold.

5cats
November 18th 05, 06:11 PM
Kiran wrote:

> Heat reflecting mattresses?

I cut up a $3 thermo-reflective mylar space blanket and used pieces to line
two of the cat beds, putting it between the foam and the cover. One of the
cats really seems to love them, another seems put off by the crinkely noise
it makes. The others are indifferent to them and prefer to sleep on my
furniture or inside the cat carriers w/ fleecy kennel pads.

Rhonda
November 18th 05, 06:47 PM
Kiran, we've used Snuggle Safe for an older kitty who didn't move too
much, she liked it. We put in under towels.

The thing our cats like best though, is our electric blanket. They LOVE
it! We call it the "cat magnet." I always have my side on high, and they
are always crowding me out of bed. We even leave it on during the day,
and we have a lot of seemingly boneless cats sprawled all over.

Rhonda

Kiran wrote:

> For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
> cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
> next few months more comfortable for her. What about:
>
> Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
> Heat reflecting mattresses?
> A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
> Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?
>
> You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
> must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
> would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)

mlbriggs
November 18th 05, 06:47 PM
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:11:31 -0600, 5cats wrote:

> Kiran wrote:
>
>> Heat reflecting mattresses?
>
> I cut up a $3 thermo-reflective mylar space blanket and used pieces to
> line two of the cat beds, putting it between the foam and the cover. One
> of the cats really seems to love them, another seems put off by the
> crinkely noise it makes. The others are indifferent to them and prefer to
> sleep on my furniture or inside the cat carriers w/ fleecy kennel pads.

Where did you find the space blankets? This sounds like a good idea. It
is always colder on the floor where the cats usually are. MLB

cybercat
November 18th 05, 07:58 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote

>We even leave it on during the day,
> and we have a lot of seemingly boneless cats sprawled all over.

I love this description! When I brought Gracie home from the
shelter she did what I called "the boneless cat" in my arms, always
with her head facing to the right so that I had to pet her with my
left hand. (Always when I was standing.) I figured out that one
of the volunteers who loved on her was left-handed, and of
course had to stand because there was nowhere for humans sit
in the crowded room. It was hilarious because she just completely
relaxed with her little flat, wedge-shaped head in the crook of my
elbow.

alt4
November 18th 05, 08:11 PM
Cats, at least my cats ususally find a warm spot such as snuggling with my
wife and I. Or theiy can be weird; in the summer find the hottest place in
the house or in the winter the coldest one and I'm in Ohio. I'm looking for
a microwave heatpad for the stray we've been feeding, she's beautiful, but
she won't come in. We have a cat carrier to block the wind. People simply
leave their cats, appalling, isn't it?

--
"Other than telling us how to live, think,
marry, pray, vote, invest, educate our
"Kiran" > wrote in message
> For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
> cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
> next few months more comfortable for her. What about:
>
> Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
> Heat reflecting mattresses?
> A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
> Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?
>
> You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
> must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
> would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)

5cats
November 18th 05, 08:17 PM
mlbriggs wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:11:31 -0600, 5cats wrote:
>
>> Kiran wrote:
>>
>>> Heat reflecting mattresses?
>>
>> I cut up a $3 thermo-reflective mylar space blanket and used pieces
>> to line two of the cat beds, putting it between the foam and the
>> cover. One of the cats really seems to love them, another seems put
>> off by the crinkely noise it makes. The others are indifferent to
>> them and prefer to sleep on my furniture or inside the cat carriers
>> w/ fleecy kennel pads.
>

> Where did you find the space blankets? This sounds like a good idea.
> It is always colder on the floor where the cats usually are. MLB

Most camping supply stores will have them.
I got a 4 pack from sportsmansguide.com, 1 to cut up, 3 to stash in the
car for emergency use.

Willow
November 19th 05, 12:51 AM
How do you keep your cat on the floor? I got only one and she took over the
whole set of my furniture.. *grin*

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.