PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a cat OBSESSED with water?

Juls
November 18th 05, 09:41 PM
Dmitri liked the water; he preferred drinking from the toilet if I left
the lid open and he liked to sit on the edge of the tub when I took a
bath and bump heads.

Now Jasmine is positively crazy about the toilet. Not drinking, just
watching. I guess she can feel the vibrations as the water flushes
(she's deaf), because when I flush, if she's not already in the
bathroom, she's in there in a flash, and then hangs over the edge,
watching the water swirl away. She stays until it's finished filling.
(It's excitement time for her as I empty/flush the litter box
stuff...she's mesmerized by watching the clumps get sucked down the hole)

She even likes to get between you and the back of the toilet, and guests
have mentioned that she tried to push them off the toilet a time or two.
ROFL.

And then there's bath time. (I like long baths when it's cold out) She's
there immediately, and just like Dmitri used to enjoy, I wiggle my toes
under the bubbles and she likes to catch them. She enjoys her tail
dragging in the water and has fallen in a time or two. (Just like D, she
seems to actually enjoy the dunk, followed by a good rub down with a
towel, and lots of "poor wet kitty")

I don't think I've ever had a shower that she didn't hang out on the
edge and constantly peek around the shower curtain.

Jack has never been interested in any of this, but today I flushed and
he was in there with us. She was hanging on the edge, peering in, and he
immediately got on the other side to watch with her. It seemed he needed
to know what the fuss has been.

Then he gave me a look as if to say "I can't believe she wastes her time
on that. Not that interesting really. I think I'll go dig at the
Greenies bag for awhile."

Jasmine's interest in water is very odd (but cute), and I'm just
wondering if anyone else has ever had a cat so interested in it.

I had a cat many years ago who learned to urinate into the toilet I
guess by watching me. He only used the guest bathroom and never learned
to flush. For the longest time, I blamed my then-husband for using the
guest toilet and not flushing. Finally, I heard someone tinkling and
thought it was a bandit. I went down the hall with a big knife and saw
Alex finishing up.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

bookbug2005
November 18th 05, 09:51 PM
My cat, Charley, is also fascinated with water. He LOVES watching the
toilet flush, and will drink out of it if the lid is left up. He
doesn't mind getting his paws wet. Also loves to watch tub water run
and dish water.

I've found that spraying him with a squirt bottle as a deterent to
getting on the countertops really doesn't do much good--unless I happen
to get him in the face--because he just doesn't mind being wet.

Had to laugh about your cat, Alex, learning to use the toilet. I had a
fomer cat, Woolybooger, who learned to use the toilet on his own too.
Needless to say my husband in the house got blamed for "missing". The
cat hadn't perfected his technique. Finally, a family member saw the
cat perform this trick and that mystery was solved. Of course, then I
realized I'd been sitting in cat pee off and on for months! Gotta
laugh.

Michelle

Juls
November 18th 05, 09:55 PM
In article . com>,
"bookbug2005" > wrote:

> My cat, Charley, is also fascinated with water. He LOVES watching the
> toilet flush, and will drink out of it if the lid is left up. He
> doesn't mind getting his paws wet. Also loves to watch tub water run
> and dish water.
>
> I've found that spraying him with a squirt bottle as a deterent to
> getting on the countertops really doesn't do much good--unless I happen
> to get him in the face--because he just doesn't mind being wet.
>
> Had to laugh about your cat, Alex, learning to use the toilet. I had a
> fomer cat, Woolybooger, who learned to use the toilet on his own too.
> Needless to say my husband in the house got blamed for "missing". The
> cat hadn't perfected his technique. Finally, a family member saw the
> cat perform this trick and that mystery was solved. Of course, then I
> realized I'd been sitting in cat pee off and on for months! Gotta
> laugh.

LOL, cats are really amazing, aren't they? How funny we both blamed the
husbands! I thought he was just trying to annoy me, and then when I
discovered Alex, he didn't believe me and thought I was pulling pranks.
It took a month or two until I heard Alex again and M was home at the
time to witness the act.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Joe Canuck
November 18th 05, 11:31 PM
Juls wrote:

> Dmitri liked the water; he preferred drinking from the toilet if I left
> the lid open and he liked to sit on the edge of the tub when I took a
> bath and bump heads.
>
> Now Jasmine is positively crazy about the toilet. Not drinking, just
> watching. I guess she can feel the vibrations as the water flushes
> (she's deaf), because when I flush, if she's not already in the
> bathroom, she's in there in a flash, and then hangs over the edge,
> watching the water swirl away. She stays until it's finished filling.
> (It's excitement time for her as I empty/flush the litter box
> stuff...she's mesmerized by watching the clumps get sucked down the hole)
>
> She even likes to get between you and the back of the toilet, and guests
> have mentioned that she tried to push them off the toilet a time or two.
> ROFL.
>
> And then there's bath time. (I like long baths when it's cold out) She's
> there immediately, and just like Dmitri used to enjoy, I wiggle my toes
> under the bubbles and she likes to catch them. She enjoys her tail
> dragging in the water and has fallen in a time or two. (Just like D, she
> seems to actually enjoy the dunk, followed by a good rub down with a
> towel, and lots of "poor wet kitty")
>
> I don't think I've ever had a shower that she didn't hang out on the
> edge and constantly peek around the shower curtain.
>
> Jack has never been interested in any of this, but today I flushed and
> he was in there with us. She was hanging on the edge, peering in, and he
> immediately got on the other side to watch with her. It seemed he needed
> to know what the fuss has been.
>
> Then he gave me a look as if to say "I can't believe she wastes her time
> on that. Not that interesting really. I think I'll go dig at the
> Greenies bag for awhile."
>
> Jasmine's interest in water is very odd (but cute), and I'm just
> wondering if anyone else has ever had a cat so interested in it.
>
> I had a cat many years ago who learned to urinate into the toilet I
> guess by watching me. He only used the guest bathroom and never learned
> to flush. For the longest time, I blamed my then-husband for using the
> guest toilet and not flushing. Finally, I heard someone tinkling and
> thought it was a bandit. I went down the hall with a big knife and saw
> Alex finishing up.

Ah yes, the water obsession. I have a cat like that.

She loves her drinking fountain and is extremely possessive about it. It
doesn't matter if she is sleeping, when I disrupt the fountain to clean
it she is there watching over the proceedings. When I place it back she
give it a good going over... I call it the "sniff test". Then, and only
then, takes a drink.

There is a floor drain in the basement that occasionally gurgles. She
will run down to the basement and stand guard over this drain... to
protect us from the evil drain monsters.

Anyone who goes into the washroom and shuts the door gets treated to a
constant "meow" just outside the door. She wants IN, not wanting to miss
any of the water action. :-D

Just don't place her in the middle of the action as in a bath. That is a
little too close and she does not like having her personal space
invaded... by water. Although, she will get water droplets all over her
face when drinking from the fountain. Heck, occasionally she has gotten
water up her nose!

Just don't give her a bath... no siree!

Cheryl
November 19th 05, 12:54 AM
On Fri 18 Nov 2005 04:41:13p, Juls wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:check_sig-8559E9.15410618112005
@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com):

> Jasmine's interest in water is very odd (but cute), and I'm just
> wondering if anyone else has ever had a cat so interested in it.

Scarlett is! She swims in the water dishes. ;) Actually, she
paddles at it, gets both paws going, and drinks water off of her
paws. Whenever I clean the dish and refill the water, I tell the
others they better hurry and drink before their sister puts her feet
in it. She does this with the water dish downstairs, too, but
doesn't do it to the Drinkwell. But I rarely see her drink from
there, either. Rhett likes playing in water, but he's not as obsessed
as his sister. Though, tonight I had to get the humidifier out and he
immediately remembered it from last year (they were tiny kittens when
I adopted them Nov 2004) and he nearly knocked it over trying to get
to the tray. He used to drink from it when I had to refill the
reservoir. Thankfully he gave up, because with his size he wouldn't
have any trouble knocking the whole thing over.

--
Cheryl

mlbriggs
November 19th 05, 01:04 AM
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:54:11 +0000, Cheryl wrote:

> On Fri 18 Nov 2005 04:41:13p, Juls wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> (news:check_sig-8559E9.15410618112005 @newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com):
>
>> Jasmine's interest in water is very odd (but cute), and I'm just
>> wondering if anyone else has ever had a cat so interested in it.
>
> Scarlett is! She swims in the water dishes. ;) Actually, she paddles at
> it, gets both paws going, and drinks water off of her paws. Whenever I
> clean the dish and refill the water, I tell the others they better hurry
> and drink before their sister puts her feet in it. She does this with the
> water dish downstairs, too, but doesn't do it to the Drinkwell. But I
> rarely see her drink from there, either. Rhett likes playing in water, but
> he's not as obsessed as his sister. Though, tonight I had to get the
> humidifier out and he immediately remembered it from last year (they were
> tiny kittens when I adopted them Nov 2004) and he nearly knocked it over
> trying to get to the tray. He used to drink from it when I had to refill
> the reservoir. Thankfully he gave up, because with his size he wouldn't
> have any trouble knocking the whole thing over.

I feel TuTu is more interested in where the water goes. I'm sure, if she
could, she would go down the drain too.

CatNipped
November 19th 05, 01:07 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Fri 18 Nov 2005 04:41:13p, Juls wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:check_sig-8559E9.15410618112005
> @newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com):
>
> > Jasmine's interest in water is very odd (but cute), and I'm just
> > wondering if anyone else has ever had a cat so interested in it.
>
> Scarlett is! She swims in the water dishes. ;) Actually, she
> paddles at it, gets both paws going, and drinks water off of her
> paws. Whenever I clean the dish and refill the water, I tell the
> others they better hurry and drink before their sister puts her feet
> in it. She does this with the water dish downstairs, too, but
> doesn't do it to the Drinkwell. But I rarely see her drink from
> there, either. Rhett likes playing in water, but he's not as obsessed
> as his sister. Though, tonight I had to get the humidifier out and he
> immediately remembered it from last year (they were tiny kittens when
> I adopted them Nov 2004) and he nearly knocked it over trying to get
> to the tray. He used to drink from it when I had to refill the
> reservoir. Thankfully he gave up, because with his size he wouldn't
> have any trouble knocking the whole thing over.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Bandit paws at her water before she drinks when she drinks from bowls, but
she doesn't do it when she drinks from the Drinkwell fountain. I think it's
because cats, some more than others, have problems seeing the surface of the
water if it's still. When they cause "waves" in the bowl they can then see
where the surface of the water is and drink without sticking their face too
far into the water.

I tell Bandit's siblings the same thing - hurry up and drink before Bandit
gets litter in the bowl from pawing at it! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

Elizabeth Blake
November 19th 05, 02:07 AM
"Juls" > wrote in message

> Now Jasmine is positively crazy about the toilet. Not drinking, just
> watching. I guess she can feel the vibrations as the water flushes
> (she's deaf), because when I flush, if she's not already in the
> bathroom, she's in there in a flash, and then hangs over the edge,
> watching the water swirl away. She stays until it's finished filling.
> (It's excitement time for her as I empty/flush the litter box
> stuff...she's mesmerized by watching the clumps get sucked down the hole)
>
> She even likes to get between you and the back of the toilet, and guests
> have mentioned that she tried to push them off the toilet a time or two.
> ROFL.
>
> And then there's bath time. (I like long baths when it's cold out) She's
> there immediately, and just like Dmitri used to enjoy, I wiggle my toes
> under the bubbles and she likes to catch them. She enjoys her tail
> dragging in the water and has fallen in a time or two. (Just like D, she
> seems to actually enjoy the dunk, followed by a good rub down with a
> towel, and lots of "poor wet kitty")
>
> I don't think I've ever had a shower that she didn't hang out on the
> edge and constantly peek around the shower curtain.
>
> Jack has never been interested in any of this, but today I flushed and
> he was in there with us. She was hanging on the edge, peering in, and he
> immediately got on the other side to watch with her. It seemed he needed
> to know what the fuss has been.
>
> Then he gave me a look as if to say "I can't believe she wastes her time
> on that. Not that interesting really. I think I'll go dig at the
> Greenies bag for awhile."
>
> Jasmine's interest in water is very odd (but cute), and I'm just
> wondering if anyone else has ever had a cat so interested in it.

Otto also loves water. He loves to watch the toilet flush. Sometimes I
flush and if he's not already in the bathroom, he comes running. I then
have to flush a second time so he can see. This morning I flushed and he
missed it, so he started pawing at the toilet lid (which is always down, or
else he'll go swimming) and I had to lift it and flush again. Low-flush
toilets are useless with cats like these around!

He sits on the edge of the tub, between the clear liver & shower curtain,
when I take my shower. Several times he's joined me - on purpose. He stays
at the back end where he only gets a little water spray. Sometimes when my
drain is clogged the water takes awhile to go down the drain. If there's
still an inch or two of water he'll get in. He'll even lay down on his side
in the shallow water. He enjoys pulling the plastic hair snare out of the
drain to watch the water swirl down faster. He likes to lick water off the
tiles when I'm done, and he enjoys sleeping in the kitchen sink.

And yet, he has no interest in the Drinkwell fountain.

Over the last few months I've had to bring one of the cats from work home
several times. One day last month I wasn't feeling well and decided a bath
might help. I hadn't taken a bath in several years because I prefer
showers. Harriet, who was already fascinated with the empty tub, was
absolutely giddy when I filled up the tub and got in. She kept dipping her
paw in, and I managed to snag the lid of the cat box and pulled it to the
side of the tub for her to sit on. She actually stepped onto my body while
I was in the tub. I don't know what her original home was like, but we've
had her at work since she was 1 1/2 years old (February 1999) and she's
never seen a tub there, so I guess it was something new and exciting for
her. She loves her Drinkwell at work but I've never seen her play in it.

--
Liz

cybercat
November 19th 05, 03:15 AM
"Juls" > wrote in message
> Dmitri liked the water; he preferred drinking from the toilet if I left
> the lid open and he liked to sit on the edge of the tub when I took a
> bath and bump heads.
>
> Now Jasmine is positively crazy about the toilet. Not drinking, just
> watching. I guess she can feel the vibrations as the water flushes
> (she's deaf), because when I flush, if she's not already in the
> bathroom, she's in there in a flash, and then hangs over the edge,
> watching the water swirl away. She stays until it's finished filling.
> (It's excitement time for her as I empty/flush the litter box
> stuff...she's mesmerized by watching the clumps get sucked down the hole)

My Gracie does this. Whenever a toilet is flushed she comes running
to watch the water go down the drain and is bummed if she can't get
in to do it.

> She even likes to get between you and the back of the toilet, and guests
> have mentioned that she tried to push them off the toilet a time or two.
> ROFL.

[...]
> Jack has never been interested in any of this, but today I flushed and
> he was in there with us. She was hanging on the edge, peering in, and he
> immediately got on the other side to watch with her. It seemed he needed
> to know what the fuss has been.

That's adorable!

Frank Pittel
November 19th 05, 04:31 AM
I have a cat that is fascinated by running water. It doesn't matter if it's
the toilet, shower, sinks, etc. When he hears (and he's got good hearing) water
running he has to come running to watch. He doesn't drink any of it. He
just likes to watch.

Juls > wrote:
[...]

: --
: Email (remove annoying hyphens)
: j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

--

-------------------

Kitkat
November 22nd 05, 03:28 AM
Frank Pittel wrote:
> I have a cat that is fascinated by running water. It doesn't matter if it's
> the toilet, shower, sinks, etc. When he hears (and he's got good hearing) water
> running he has to come running to watch. He doesn't drink any of it. He
> just likes to watch.

Not long ago, I was visiting some friends in Madison, Wisc. and they
were actually cat sitting for a neighbor. So I went with them to feed
kitty and this kitty went NUTS for running water. He would jump up on to
the counter and just drink that water like it was the only water source
in the world. He'll sit there and wait for the drops once you turn the
sink off. He'll just drink and drink and drink. Can they get
overhydrated? It was a stitch!

Pam

Frank Pittel
November 22nd 05, 10:45 PM
Kitkat > wrote:
: Frank Pittel wrote:
: > I have a cat that is fascinated by running water. It doesn't matter if it's
: > the toilet, shower, sinks, etc. When he hears (and he's got good hearing) water
: > running he has to come running to watch. He doesn't drink any of it. He
: > just likes to watch.
: >

: Not long ago, I was visiting some friends in Madison, Wisc. and they
: were actually cat sitting for a neighbor. So I went with them to feed
: kitty and this kitty went NUTS for running water. He would jump up on to
: the counter and just drink that water like it was the only water source
: in the world. He'll sit there and wait for the drops once you turn the
: sink off. He'll just drink and drink and drink. Can they get
: overhydrated? It was a stitch!

My last two cats only drank running water. One drank out of the bathroom sink
and the other drank out of the bathtub faucet!! That was the only way they would
drink. After a while I stopped putting out a water bowl since they refused to drink
out of it!!

The one I have now doesn't drink the running water. He just likes looking at it!!
--

-------------------

Tony P.
November 23rd 05, 10:58 PM
In article >,
says...
> Frank Pittel wrote:
> > I have a cat that is fascinated by running water. It doesn't matter if it's
> > the toilet, shower, sinks, etc. When he hears (and he's got good hearing) water
> > running he has to come running to watch. He doesn't drink any of it. He
> > just likes to watch.
> >

> Not long ago, I was visiting some friends in Madison, Wisc. and they
> were actually cat sitting for a neighbor. So I went with them to feed
> kitty and this kitty went NUTS for running water. He would jump up on to
> the counter and just drink that water like it was the only water source
> in the world. He'll sit there and wait for the drops once you turn the
> sink off. He'll just drink and drink and drink. Can they get
> overhydrated? It was a stitch!

My eldest cat has a thing for 'found' water. Most cats do as a matter of
fact.

Every morning after I shower I have to let the cold water dribble. I
also have to give him about 30 seconds otherwise he drinks so much that
he pukes.

November 28th 05, 05:22 AM
Yeah, my cat Maomao (http://www.worldtradewinds.com/maomao.htm) is
TOTALLY obsessed with water. He's only four months old, but has been
this way since we first brought him home. He can spends hours in the
bathroom just staring at the floor drain. He steps into every water
source he can find, including my morning shower. I tried using the
squirt bottle on him for bad behavior, but HE LIKES IT. He actually
starts purring after he's been squirted!!??

Katrina
November 28th 05, 07:28 AM
On 2005-11-27 21:22:11 -0800, said:

> Yeah, my cat Maomao (http://www.worldtradewinds.com/maomao.htm) is
> TOTALLY obsessed with water. He's only four months old, but has been
> this way since we first brought him home. He can spends hours in the
> bathroom just staring at the floor drain. He steps into every water
> source he can find, including my morning shower. I tried using the
> squirt bottle on him for bad behavior, but HE LIKES IT. He actually
> starts purring after he's been squirted!!??

my old kitty Scamper would take showers with me in the morning and sit
in the sprinklers on the lawn in the summer. She also liked to go out
in the rain and stomp through puddles of water. She LOVED being
soaking wet.

Katrina

CatMan
November 29th 05, 01:41 AM
Our Kitty has been drinking out of the tap when anyone is brushing their
teeth. I usally give her a small 4oz cup of water since she will drink
until she pukes, sometimes. She knows when it's 5:30 am 7 days a week and
"thumps" her chest into our bedroom door and meows continuously for water.
For a treat I give her chopped ice and ice water from our fridge. She
will drink until her tongue is numb!