PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for window blinds that cats can't break?

Juls
November 18th 05, 06:47 PM
I use vinyl window blinds along with curtains because I like the night
privacy they afford. (I'm not into big, heavy lined drapes; I prefer
airier, lighter curtains) Jasmine has torn up three so far (lol) because
she likes to look out the window. (Dmitri always did this too) She pulls
the slats apart, then sticks her head through, or sometimes just climbs
through it onto the window sill. Eventually the slats break off in
pieces.

I want to replace these, but not sure what to get. Would aluminum blinds
be stronger and not break? I think the slats break off from being bent
too many times. Or would they just get bent up and ugly?

What about those pull down shades made of canvas or fabric? I don't mind
her looking out, and she's very determined to do what she's going to do.
I just want something that will: not let anyone peek in at night when
the lights are on; not be dangerous to her; last awhile.

I was thinking if I got the fabric/canvas kind, she could maneuver her
way under the bottom and still look out the window if she wanted. She
might learn to do that instead of bending the slats apart and
peeking/climbing through.

Suggestions or experience with different kinds of blinds, good and bad?

Thanks,

Juls

p.s. Giving her a special window that's open at night doesn't work. She
and Jack pretty much like to be in whatever room I'm in.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

5cats
November 18th 05, 11:00 PM
Juls wrote:

> I use vinyl window blinds along with curtains because I like the night
> privacy they afford. (I'm not into big, heavy lined drapes; I prefer
> airier, lighter curtains) Jasmine has torn up three so far (lol)
because
> she likes to look out the window. (Dmitri always did this too) She
pulls
> the slats apart, then sticks her head through, or sometimes just climbs
> through it onto the window sill. Eventually the slats break off in
> pieces.
>
> I want to replace these, but not sure what to get. Would aluminum
blinds
> be stronger and not break? I think the slats break off from being bent
> too many times. Or would they just get bent up and ugly?
>
> What about those pull down shades made of canvas or fabric? I don't
mind
> her looking out, and she's very determined to do what she's going to
do.
> I just want something that will: not let anyone peek in at night when
> the lights are on; not be dangerous to her; last awhile.
>
> I was thinking if I got the fabric/canvas kind, she could maneuver her
> way under the bottom and still look out the window if she wanted. She
> might learn to do that instead of bending the slats apart and
> peeking/climbing through.
>
> Suggestions or experience with different kinds of blinds, good and bad?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Juls
>
> p.s. Giving her a special window that's open at night doesn't work. She
> and Jack pretty much like to be in whatever room I'm in.

Aluminum blinds get bent and ugly. I'm lucky that window placement allows
me to keep mine up almost all the time. Whatever you do, watch out for
blinds with cords that can strangle curious kitties.

Joe Canuck
November 18th 05, 11:33 PM
Juls wrote:

> I use vinyl window blinds along with curtains because I like the night
> privacy they afford. (I'm not into big, heavy lined drapes; I prefer
> airier, lighter curtains) Jasmine has torn up three so far (lol) because
> she likes to look out the window. (Dmitri always did this too) She pulls
> the slats apart, then sticks her head through, or sometimes just climbs
> through it onto the window sill. Eventually the slats break off in
> pieces.
>
> I want to replace these, but not sure what to get. Would aluminum blinds
> be stronger and not break? I think the slats break off from being bent
> too many times. Or would they just get bent up and ugly?
>
> What about those pull down shades made of canvas or fabric? I don't mind
> her looking out, and she's very determined to do what she's going to do.
> I just want something that will: not let anyone peek in at night when
> the lights are on; not be dangerous to her; last awhile.
>
> I was thinking if I got the fabric/canvas kind, she could maneuver her
> way under the bottom and still look out the window if she wanted. She
> might learn to do that instead of bending the slats apart and
> peeking/climbing through.
>
> Suggestions or experience with different kinds of blinds, good and bad?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Juls
>
> p.s. Giving her a special window that's open at night doesn't work. She
> and Jack pretty much like to be in whatever room I'm in.

Vertical blinds will withstand cat "abuse" more than the horizontal ones.

Willow
November 18th 05, 11:47 PM
That's what I had to do after spending a fortune on Gaya's "goddess seat"
She destroyed any horizontal blinds that I could put there.. verticals have
been there for 4 months now and still holding (though a little dirty at the
entry point I just noticed).

I got a two floor condo and Miss Miew likes to sit at the upstairs window
and play goddess over the world.. everytime we drive in she's right there
with a "I'm so freaking perfect" look on her face... The neighbors have also
mentionned that they feel "supervised" when they see her up there..

What can I say, Gaya's a case.. mental or otherwise I haven't quite figured
it out in the last 7 years.. *grin*

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> Juls wrote:
>
> > I use vinyl window blinds along with curtains because I like the night
> > privacy they afford. (I'm not into big, heavy lined drapes; I prefer
> > airier, lighter curtains) Jasmine has torn up three so far (lol) because
> > she likes to look out the window. (Dmitri always did this too) She pulls
> > the slats apart, then sticks her head through, or sometimes just climbs
> > through it onto the window sill. Eventually the slats break off in
> > pieces.
> >
> > I want to replace these, but not sure what to get. Would aluminum blinds
> > be stronger and not break? I think the slats break off from being bent
> > too many times. Or would they just get bent up and ugly?
> >
> > What about those pull down shades made of canvas or fabric? I don't mind
> > her looking out, and she's very determined to do what she's going to do.
> > I just want something that will: not let anyone peek in at night when
> > the lights are on; not be dangerous to her; last awhile.
> >
> > I was thinking if I got the fabric/canvas kind, she could maneuver her
> > way under the bottom and still look out the window if she wanted. She
> > might learn to do that instead of bending the slats apart and
> > peeking/climbing through.
> >
> > Suggestions or experience with different kinds of blinds, good and bad?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Juls
> >
> > p.s. Giving her a special window that's open at night doesn't work. She
> > and Jack pretty much like to be in whatever room I'm in.
> >

> Vertical blinds will withstand cat "abuse" more than the horizontal ones.

MaryL
November 19th 05, 02:35 AM
"Juls" > wrote in message
>I use vinyl window blinds along with curtains because I like the night
> privacy they afford. (I'm not into big, heavy lined drapes; I prefer
> airier, lighter curtains) Jasmine has torn up three so far (lol) because
> she likes to look out the window. (Dmitri always did this too) She pulls
> the slats apart, then sticks her head through, or sometimes just climbs
> through it onto the window sill. Eventually the slats break off in
> pieces.
<snip>
> I want to replace these, but not sure what to get. >
> --
> Email (remove annoying hyphens)
> j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Have you considered vertical blinds? I don't like them as well as the
horizontal blinds, but they give some of the same feel -- and they should
not create the problem you described because the bottom of the blinds hang
free and would simply swing sideways when your cats work their way toward
the window.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Juls
November 19th 05, 03:05 AM
In article >,
"Willow" > wrote:

> I got a two floor condo and Miss Miew likes to sit at the upstairs window
> and play goddess over the world.. everytime we drive in she's right there
> with a "I'm so freaking perfect" look on her face... The neighbors have also
> mentionned that they feel "supervised" when they see her up there..

LOL, love it!

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Juls
November 19th 05, 03:07 AM
In article <[email protected]>,
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

> Have you considered vertical blinds?

I hadn't, but I think I may now! I actually always thought of vertical
blinds more for patio doors and windows, but they might do the trick!

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Juls
November 19th 05, 03:09 AM
In article >,
Joe Canuck > wrote:

> Juls wrote:
>
> > I use vinyl window blinds along with curtains because I like the night
> > privacy they afford. (I'm not into big, heavy lined drapes; I prefer
> > airier, lighter curtains) Jasmine has torn up three so far (lol) because
> > she likes to look out the window. (Dmitri always did this too) She pulls
> > the slats apart, then sticks her head through, or sometimes just climbs
> > through it onto the window sill. Eventually the slats break off in
> > pieces.
> >
> > I want to replace these, but not sure what to get. Would aluminum blinds
> > be stronger and not break? I think the slats break off from being bent
> > too many times. Or would they just get bent up and ugly?
> >
> > What about those pull down shades made of canvas or fabric? I don't mind
> > her looking out, and she's very determined to do what she's going to do.
> > I just want something that will: not let anyone peek in at night when
> > the lights are on; not be dangerous to her; last awhile.
> >
> > I was thinking if I got the fabric/canvas kind, she could maneuver her
> > way under the bottom and still look out the window if she wanted. She
> > might learn to do that instead of bending the slats apart and
> > peeking/climbing through.
> >
> > Suggestions or experience with different kinds of blinds, good and bad?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Juls
> >
> > p.s. Giving her a special window that's open at night doesn't work. She
> > and Jack pretty much like to be in whatever room I'm in.
> >

> Vertical blinds will withstand cat "abuse" more than the horizontal ones.

I'm going to have to look around, but at least I've always liked the
look of them. I've just never had any.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...I hadn't even thought of vertical.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

cybercat
November 19th 05, 03:11 AM
"Juls" > wrote

> What about those pull down shades made of canvas or fabric? I don't mind
> her looking out, and she's very determined to do what she's going to do.
> I just want something that will: not let anyone peek in at night when
> the lights are on; not be dangerous to her; last awhile.

Exactly what I was going to recommend.

> I was thinking if I got the fabric/canvas kind, she could maneuver her
> way under the bottom and still look out the window if she wanted. She
> might learn to do that instead of bending the slats apart and
> peeking/climbing through.
>
> Suggestions or experience with different kinds of blinds, good and bad?

We have cloth blinds like this in the upstairs windows.

cybercat
November 19th 05, 03:18 AM
"5cats" > wrote:

> Aluminum blinds get bent and ugly. I'm lucky that window placement allows
> me to keep mine up almost all the time. Whatever you do, watch out for
> blinds with cords that can strangle curious kitties.

The best thing about the old fashioned fabric ones is that they have no
cord.

Cheryl
November 19th 05, 03:31 AM
On Fri 18 Nov 2005 01:47:17p, Juls wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
)
:

> I was thinking if I got the fabric/canvas kind, she could
> maneuver her way under the bottom and still look out the window
> if she wanted. She might learn to do that instead of bending the
> slats apart and peeking/climbing through.

I haven't had to think about privacy shades up until now, but when
I read this, I thought I'd pass along something. I stopped at
PetSmart tonight for some kitty litter, and Rhett's special food,
and stopped by the adoption area as usual. This very nice man was
playing with the cats through the glass and we got to talking. He
was commenting about a little black and white girl (I didn't notice
her spay shaved tummy; he pointed it out to me) and she was so
playful and active that he was afraid she was going to turn out to
be a kitten that climbs blinds and curtains. She was trying to grab
his pen through the glass. He said he had a lot of Roman shades,
and after his 12 residents got done with them, they didn't go up
and down anymore because too many liked to climb them.

--
Cheryl

Phil P.
November 19th 05, 07:44 AM
"Juls" > wrote in message
> I use vinyl window blinds along with curtains because I like the night
> privacy they afford. (I'm not into big, heavy lined drapes; I prefer
> airier, lighter curtains) Jasmine has torn up three so far (lol) because
> she likes to look out the window. (Dmitri always did this too) She pulls
> the slats apart, then sticks her head through, or sometimes just climbs
> through it onto the window sill. Eventually the slats break off in
> pieces.
>
> I want to replace these, but not sure what to get.

How about vertical blinds? She can slip through the slats without damaging
them and without risk of getting caught and hung between the slats.

Phil

chas
November 19th 05, 05:51 PM
I have vertical blinds and they are much better for my cat. As Phil says,
the cat can just get thru the slats.

chas

Wendy
November 20th 05, 02:17 PM
"Juls" > wrote in message
>I use vinyl window blinds along with curtains because I like the night
> privacy they afford. (I'm not into big, heavy lined drapes; I prefer
> airier, lighter curtains) Jasmine has torn up three so far (lol) because
> she likes to look out the window. (Dmitri always did this too) She pulls
> the slats apart, then sticks her head through, or sometimes just climbs
> through it onto the window sill. Eventually the slats break off in
> pieces.
>
> I want to replace these, but not sure what to get. Would aluminum blinds
> be stronger and not break? I think the slats break off from being bent
> too many times. Or would they just get bent up and ugly?
>
> What about those pull down shades made of canvas or fabric? I don't mind
> her looking out, and she's very determined to do what she's going to do.
> I just want something that will: not let anyone peek in at night when
> the lights are on; not be dangerous to her; last awhile.
>
> I was thinking if I got the fabric/canvas kind, she could maneuver her
> way under the bottom and still look out the window if she wanted. She
> might learn to do that instead of bending the slats apart and
> peeking/climbing through.
>
> Suggestions or experience with different kinds of blinds, good and bad?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Juls

I have the vinyl mini blinds and keep them in the closed position in the
bedroom all the time. I don't have them secured at the bottom (and have the
cords secured up high where they don't see them) and they just go around the
side to look out the windows. The vertical blinds would probably work better
if you can get them to fit the window in question. I'd just get something
that cleans easily because they are going to pick up cat hair etc at the
entry point.