PDA

View Full Version : steroid question

ElvisRocks
November 20th 05, 06:02 AM
Hi all. Cali, my Calico I adopted in April has had a mouth infection/ulcers
since August.
She's gotten her 3rd shot of steroids (Depo-something) and her mouth has
healed up
very well - this last shot was stronger than the last two. She got it about
10 days ago,
and the last few days she has suddenly started urinating outside the pan -
meaning
on clothes on my triple dresser and tonight, on clothes on my BED - but it
ran through to
the mattress!! She's never done anything like that before. She just had
every bloodtest
imaginable a month ago and she was fine except this mouth thing that they
say is
an auto-immune issue probably caused by stress (um, those three kittens I
got since
I got her)... obviously, that could be the pee issue as well but I thought
it strange she just
began that this past week. thanks guys - hope you all are well :) Carol

Rhonda
November 20th 05, 06:22 AM
Hi there,

I would request another set of bloodtests, and a urine test to check for
an infection or crystals.

One shot of a steroid caused diabetes in our cat. He was probably type
II and prone to it, but the shot was the trigger. Steroids have
triggered diabetes in many cats. Is she drinking and peeing a lot more?
Bob soaked the litter box before we realized something was very wrong.

I don't know if steroids can cause bladder infections, but she has one
of the main symptoms of that. We have a cat who was caught peeing on the
couch a couple weeks ago (was using the box before that) and he had a
urinary infection.

Good luck tracking down what's going on with her!

Rhonda

ElvisRocks wrote:

> Hi all. Cali, my Calico I adopted in April has had a mouth infection/ulcers
> since August.
> She's gotten her 3rd shot of steroids (Depo-something) and her mouth has
> healed up
> very well - this last shot was stronger than the last two. She got it about
> 10 days ago,
> and the last few days she has suddenly started urinating outside the pan -
> meaning
> on clothes on my triple dresser and tonight, on clothes on my BED - but it
> ran through to
> the mattress!! She's never done anything like that before. She just had
> every bloodtest
> imaginable a month ago and she was fine except this mouth thing that they
> say is
> an auto-immune issue probably caused by stress (um, those three kittens I
> got since
> I got her)... obviously, that could be the pee issue as well but I thought
> it strange she just
> began that this past week. thanks guys - hope you all are well :) Carol

ElvisRocks
November 20th 05, 02:16 PM
I have antibiotics (clindamycin) from when she first had the mouth
infection. I guess I'll start her on that until I can take her to the vet.
No, she doesn't drink or eat anymore than usual.
Ugh! She's already my Million Dollar Baby!!!! Poor Cali :(
Thanks, Rhonda. Hope you are well. Carol

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I would request another set of bloodtests, and a urine test to check for
> an infection or crystals.
>
> One shot of a steroid caused diabetes in our cat. He was probably type II
> and prone to it, but the shot was the trigger. Steroids have triggered
> diabetes in many cats. Is she drinking and peeing a lot more? Bob soaked
> the litter box before we realized something was very wrong.
>
> I don't know if steroids can cause bladder infections, but she has one of
> the main symptoms of that. We have a cat who was caught peeing on the
> couch a couple weeks ago (was using the box before that) and he had a
> urinary infection.
>
> Good luck tracking down what's going on with her!
>
> Rhonda
>
> ElvisRocks wrote:
>
>> Hi all. Cali, my Calico I adopted in April has had a mouth
>> infection/ulcers since August.
>> She's gotten her 3rd shot of steroids (Depo-something) and her mouth has
>> healed up
>> very well - this last shot was stronger than the last two. She got it
>> about 10 days ago,
>> and the last few days she has suddenly started urinating outside the
>> pan - meaning
>> on clothes on my triple dresser and tonight, on clothes on my BED - but
>> it ran through to
>> the mattress!! She's never done anything like that before. She just had
>> every bloodtest
>> imaginable a month ago and she was fine except this mouth thing that they
>> say is
>> an auto-immune issue probably caused by stress (um, those three kittens I
>> got since
>> I got her)... obviously, that could be the pee issue as well but I
>> thought it strange she just
>> began that this past week. thanks guys - hope you all are well :) Carol

Lumpy
November 20th 05, 04:35 PM
"ElvisRocks" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi all. Cali, my Calico I adopted in April has had a mouth
infection/ulcers
> since August.
> She's gotten her 3rd shot of steroids (Depo-something) and her mouth has
> healed up
> very well -

Go here to learn about EGC, which is what your cat has. It keeps
coming back, but is not life threatening and can be controlled.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/eosinophilic_granuloma.html

You can cut back on the number of Depo Medrol shots she has
by thinking about the things around her that she might be allergic
to--such as scented litter, perfume, perfumed candles, dust, mold,
and wheat gluten in cat food.

For the questions regarding her inappropriate urination, see your
vet. And while you are there, discuss the above with him.

My cat has Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex, and she is now
down to 2- 3 shots a year. She also has asthma, which often
goes along with EGC.

These cats can have happy, healthy lives if you just take
the time to understand the disorder and manage it.

Rhonda
November 21st 05, 06:25 AM
Hi Carol,

ElvisRocks wrote:

> I have antibiotics (clindamycin) from when she first had the mouth
> infection. I guess I'll start her on that until I can take her to the vet.
> No, she doesn't drink or eat anymore than usual.

I'm glad for that! Let us know what the vet has to say. If she has
crystals in her urine, she may need to be on a special diet.

> Ugh! She's already my Million Dollar Baby!!!! Poor Cali :(

Oh, I think we've all had one of those! I think they appreciate it,
though. It seemed like our cat got sweeter the more money we spent on him.

> Thanks, Rhonda. Hope you are well.

I'm well, the animals are now okay, we're working on the other half
though. :)

Rhonda