PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea?

Brian Link
November 22nd 05, 04:19 AM
Louis has had some pretty unpleasant bowel movements lately. The only
change to his routine has been a diet of Wellness dry food for about
three days while we scrambled our schedules to get out to the one
store in the vicinity which carries the wet Wellness that he's used
to.

Why would an indoor, otherwise healthy cat get diarrhea? At least
we're on top of providing fresh water twice a day, and the neck-pinch
test shows him to be reasonably hydrated.

The thing that has me worried is that Louis fancies himself an
alley-cat, and will eat anything he sees on the floor that appears
edible. I've taken screws, paperclips and grommets out of his mouth,
though I've never seen him swallow non-food. Maybe he just likes to
gum it like a toddler...

My wife has recently bought some foam, in-ear earplugs to help her
sleep at night (noisy neighborhood, snoring husband), and Louis has
proved quite resourceful in grabbing the bag and tearing it open. I've
never seen him eat one, but I wouldn't put it past him. (The bag is
now in a cat-proof drawer, and my wife disposes of used earplugs)

Thanks for any ideas. Maybe it's just the change in diet, but after
having had a cat eat the netting off of a pork-roast (and spending
about 1k to get it surgically removed), I'm pretty careful when it
comes to inadvertant gulping-down-of-indigestible-crap.

Thanks

BLink

Gail
November 22nd 05, 04:31 AM
Many reasons for diarrhea: Change of food, parasites, symptom of
inflammatory bowel disease, hyperactive thyroid, etc. If it doesn't clear
up, he needs to see a vet.
Gail
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> Louis has had some pretty unpleasant bowel movements lately. The only
> change to his routine has been a diet of Wellness dry food for about
> three days while we scrambled our schedules to get out to the one
> store in the vicinity which carries the wet Wellness that he's used
> to.
>
> Why would an indoor, otherwise healthy cat get diarrhea? At least
> we're on top of providing fresh water twice a day, and the neck-pinch
> test shows him to be reasonably hydrated.
>
> The thing that has me worried is that Louis fancies himself an
> alley-cat, and will eat anything he sees on the floor that appears
> edible. I've taken screws, paperclips and grommets out of his mouth,
> though I've never seen him swallow non-food. Maybe he just likes to
> gum it like a toddler...
>
> My wife has recently bought some foam, in-ear earplugs to help her
> sleep at night (noisy neighborhood, snoring husband), and Louis has
> proved quite resourceful in grabbing the bag and tearing it open. I've
> never seen him eat one, but I wouldn't put it past him. (The bag is
> now in a cat-proof drawer, and my wife disposes of used earplugs)
>
> Thanks for any ideas. Maybe it's just the change in diet, but after
> having had a cat eat the netting off of a pork-roast (and spending
> about 1k to get it surgically removed), I'm pretty careful when it
> comes to inadvertant gulping-down-of-indigestible-crap.
>
> Thanks
>
> BLink

Ali-Reza Anghaie
November 22nd 05, 06:05 AM
Brian Link > wrote:
> Louis has had some pretty unpleasant bowel movements lately. The only
> change to his routine has been a diet of Wellness dry food for about
> three days while we scrambled our schedules to get out to the one
> store in the vicinity which carries the wet Wellness that he's used
> to.

Have you tried an acidophilus supplement for your cat? I find when mine
gets a little uneasy for a few days just one or two nights of that clears
it right up. Especially when I think some food or other substance is the
root cause.

Cheers, -Ali

Wendy
November 22nd 05, 01:08 PM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> Louis has had some pretty unpleasant bowel movements lately. The only
> change to his routine has been a diet of Wellness dry food for about
> three days while we scrambled our schedules to get out to the one
> store in the vicinity which carries the wet Wellness that he's used
> to.
>
> Why would an indoor, otherwise healthy cat get diarrhea? At least
> we're on top of providing fresh water twice a day, and the neck-pinch
> test shows him to be reasonably hydrated.
>
> The thing that has me worried is that Louis fancies himself an
> alley-cat, and will eat anything he sees on the floor that appears
> edible. I've taken screws, paperclips and grommets out of his mouth,
> though I've never seen him swallow non-food. Maybe he just likes to
> gum it like a toddler...
>
> My wife has recently bought some foam, in-ear earplugs to help her
> sleep at night (noisy neighborhood, snoring husband), and Louis has
> proved quite resourceful in grabbing the bag and tearing it open. I've
> never seen him eat one, but I wouldn't put it past him. (The bag is
> now in a cat-proof drawer, and my wife disposes of used earplugs)
>
> Thanks for any ideas. Maybe it's just the change in diet, but after
> having had a cat eat the netting off of a pork-roast (and spending
> about 1k to get it surgically removed), I'm pretty careful when it
> comes to inadvertant gulping-down-of-indigestible-crap.
>
> Thanks
>
> BLink

3 days on food the cat isn't used to could do it. If it doesn't clear up now
that the cat is back on the normal food a vet visit would be in order.