PDA

View Full Version : Ear Mites

TMask
November 23rd 05, 07:25 AM
Ok...so I recently saved a 4 wk old barn kitten. No one would take him as he
wasn't eating/eliminating like the others and it was too much work. I am
currenlty unemployed so I brought him home and have tought him to eat and
potty. He's playful and great...I suspected he wasn't hearing well....I had
done a flea inspection and glanced in his ears. All appeared well. upon
closer inspection his little ears are plugged full of debri. I have had cats
all my life and one or two had ear mites. A 50/50 solution of vinigar and
water rotated with warm mineral/garlic oil. I also treat every other day
with the ear mite medicine. I seem to be getting most of it and yes i stick
to cotton balls and tissue for the most part but have had several vets send
me digging with those long q tips. I'm not going in far...i'm getting a TON
of stuff out...unbelievable amounts . But i'm worred that there is more deep
down in and I dont' want to put all these fluids in and have a buildup and
have him get sick. I truly cannot afford a vet and am doing the best I can
by the lil guy. If he were lathargic or not eating i'd find a way to take
him but he really seems fine and as i said seems to be quite happy to be
hearing...he actually stands still and lets me clean his ears i think because
it feels good.

Please let me know if anyone has any further helpful ideas !
Thanks !

Willow
November 23rd 05, 05:01 PM
Untreated ear mites can lead to very serious complications..

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"TMask" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Ok...so I recently saved a 4 wk old barn kitten. No one would take him as
he
> wasn't eating/eliminating like the others and it was too much work. I am
> currenlty unemployed so I brought him home and have tought him to eat and
> potty. He's playful and great...I suspected he wasn't hearing well....I
had
> done a flea inspection and glanced in his ears. All appeared well. upon
> closer inspection his little ears are plugged full of debri. I have had
cats
> all my life and one or two had ear mites. A 50/50 solution of vinigar and
> water rotated with warm mineral/garlic oil. I also treat every other day
> with the ear mite medicine. I seem to be getting most of it and yes i
stick
> to cotton balls and tissue for the most part but have had several vets
send
> me digging with those long q tips. I'm not going in far...i'm getting a
TON
> of stuff out...unbelievable amounts . But i'm worred that there is more
deep
> down in and I dont' want to put all these fluids in and have a buildup and
> have him get sick. I truly cannot afford a vet and am doing the best I
can
> by the lil guy. If he were lathargic or not eating i'd find a way to take
> him but he really seems fine and as i said seems to be quite happy to be
> hearing...he actually stands still and lets me clean his ears i think
because
> it feels good.
>
> Please let me know if anyone has any further helpful ideas !
> Thanks !

November 23rd 05, 05:06 PM
If the debris is brownish and pasty, it could be ear fungus, which
requires medication.