PDA

View Full Version : peeing everywherre

K...........
November 23rd 05, 08:17 AM
Hi there,

Our boy is about ten years old now. He's been the most loving faithful cat
around, but he's cost me a small fortune in vet bills as he has FLUDT the
crystal blockages as described in earlier posts.

He's clear for now, the last block was about 2 years ago and we've kept him
on a diet of wet food ever since.

Recently he's taken to peeing and sometimes defecating in the study, it's a
carpeted room. He's only done this before when I've noticed him getting
sick with the crystals. He doesn't appear to be sick at present and will
pee without straining in the litter tray whenever I request.

I clean the litter tray once per day, and generally keep the area
surrounding it clean but he does share the tray with another cat. She's
been living with us for 5 years now so they both love each other.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep all carpeted room doors closed at
present to limit him to the tiled floors but this is not so easy.

Are their any worthwhile products that can be used as a deterrent? I seem
to remember my mother using naphthalene flakes but I don't know if this is
safe.

thanks,

Kulander.

Spot
November 23rd 05, 08:35 AM
Take him to the vet. You already know this happened before if you wait
you'll only make it worse it's better to catch anything early on and a whole
lot less expensive.

As for the odor you can buy antiickypoo http://www.antiickypoo.com/ I've
never used it but I've seen people swear by it.

Celeste

"K..........." > wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Our boy is about ten years old now. He's been the most loving faithful
> cat around, but he's cost me a small fortune in vet bills as he has FLUDT
> the crystal blockages as described in earlier posts.
>
> He's clear for now, the last block was about 2 years ago and we've kept
> him on a diet of wet food ever since.
>
> Recently he's taken to peeing and sometimes defecating in the study, it's
> a carpeted room. He's only done this before when I've noticed him getting
> sick with the crystals. He doesn't appear to be sick at present and will
> pee without straining in the litter tray whenever I request.
>
> I clean the litter tray once per day, and generally keep the area
> surrounding it clean but he does share the tray with another cat. She's
> been living with us for 5 years now so they both love each other.
>
> Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep all carpeted room doors closed at
> present to limit him to the tiled floors but this is not so easy.
>
> Are their any worthwhile products that can be used as a deterrent? I seem
> to remember my mother using naphthalene flakes but I don't know if this is
> safe.
>
> thanks,
>
> Kulander.

whitershadeofpale
November 23rd 05, 12:35 PM
K........... wrote:

> Are their any worthwhile products that can be used as a deterrent? I seem
> to remember my mother using naphthalene flakes but I don't know if this is
> safe.
>
> thanks,
>
> Kulander.

this is going to sound dumb, but think about it.

rip all the carpets out, i hate carpet anyway lol

give him a fresh start

November 23rd 05, 01:08 PM
K........... wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Our boy is about ten years old now. He's been the most loving faithful cat
> around, but he's cost me a small fortune in vet bills as he has FLUDT the
> crystal blockages as described in earlier posts.
>
> He's clear for now, the last block was about 2 years ago and we've kept him
> on a diet of wet food ever since.
>
> Recently he's taken to peeing and sometimes defecating in the study, it's a
> carpeted room. He's only done this before when I've noticed him getting
> sick with the crystals. He doesn't appear to be sick at present and will
> pee without straining in the litter tray whenever I request.

He may be trying to tell you that something is wrong. I really can't
think of any other reason for his behavior. How else to tell you
something is wrong? Write a letter?

You can get a little bottle with beads from the vet and just take a
urine sample to the vet since he will pee on demand. If not, an empty
little thing with the beads for something to scratch or paw, is fine.
This will save you the cost of the vet visit. You just need to deliver
the sample when they can analyze it right away, better than storing in
a 'frig but that's possible too.

I'll take a wild guess that he is beginning to have crystals. Not
enough for a blockage, but enough to irritate him internally. And the
crystals could be a stone this time. The food that prevents crystals
can create stones if given too much. And a stone would be painful. Too.
What are you feeding him and how much?

November 23rd 05, 01:16 PM
I agree with the other posters about taking him to the vet. I have
never had luck with deterrent products, but try adding an extra litter
box in that room. You should have 3 litters total with 2 cats.

As for cleaning up, Anti Icky Poo is the best. Follow the directions
carefully, and you should have no remaining scent for either you or the
cat.

Good luck!
Beth

K...........
November 26th 05, 06:21 AM
Thanks everyone,

He seems to be better over the last few days.

We kept the study door closed, and I kept reinforcing his use of the tray.
This plus cleaning the tray each day has helped. I think there could be a
link between the smell of the carpet and his behavior sometimes. We have a
little Maltese Terrier and there has been one or two mistakes from him when
we haven't let him into the yard in due time. I think that our friend
smells that and then follows suit with a habit pattern.

I'm not keen on taking him to the vet, he's cost me over $3,000.00 so far
and I'm at the point that the next vet visit will be a one way trip. I know
that sounds harsh but each vet visit costs over $1000.00. I am just a wage
earner.

I'll look around for the Anti Icky Poo stuff. I think that will help heaps.

thanks,

K.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I agree with the other posters about taking him to the vet. I have
> never had luck with deterrent products, but try adding an extra litter
> box in that room. You should have 3 litters total with 2 cats.
>
> As for cleaning up, Anti Icky Poo is the best. Follow the directions
> carefully, and you should have no remaining scent for either you or the
> cat.
>
> Good luck!
> Beth

Lumpy
November 26th 05, 07:31 AM
"K..........." > wrote in message
> Thanks everyone,
>
> He seems to be better over the last few days.
>
> We kept the study door closed, and I kept reinforcing his use of the tray.
> This plus cleaning the tray each day has helped. I think there could be a
> link between the smell of the carpet and his behavior sometimes. We have
> little Maltese Terrier and there has been one or two mistakes from him
when
> we haven't let him into the yard in due time. I think that our friend
> smells that and then follows suit with a habit pattern.
>
> I'm not keen on taking him to the vet, he's cost me over $3,000.00 so far
> and I'm at the point that the next vet visit will be a one way trip. I
know
> that sounds harsh but each vet visit costs over $1000.00. I am just a
wage
> earner.

What did your vet charge 1K for three times?

K...........
November 27th 05, 12:31 AM
Well, our furry friend is nearly ten years old, and he has had three
veterinary hospitalisations in that time. Each hospitalisation lasts for
about three to four days plus meds plus any procedures.

The last time he was hospitalised was in March 2005 and that cost me
$1300.00 but that also included a catheter procedure.

If he required another hospitalisation I would probably pay for it as he's
been such a loving loyal friend.

thanks,

K.