PDA

View Full Version : carpet vs sisal on scratching post

jils
November 23rd 05, 09:59 PM
my cats (7 and 3 years old) have a tiered scratching post that they've
always paid a lot of attention to.
the carpet was shredded, so i replaced it with sisal rope, having read
somewhere that sisal was a better surface for claw exercise anyway.
both cats now won't touch the sisal, they lay on the floor in order to
use the one remaining surface of carpet, the base of the construction!
it's been three weeks now, and they've had plenty of encouragement to
try the sisal.
i'm considering removing the sisal and putting carpet on there. unless
anyone has any good ideas!
help!

DevilsPGD
November 24th 05, 07:26 AM
In message > jils
> wrote:

>my cats (7 and 3 years old) have a tiered scratching post that they've
>always paid a lot of attention to.
>the carpet was shredded, so i replaced it with sisal rope, having read
>somewhere that sisal was a better surface for claw exercise anyway.
>both cats now won't touch the sisal, they lay on the floor in order to
>use the one remaining surface of carpet, the base of the construction!
>it's been three weeks now, and they've had plenty of encouragement to
>try the sisal.
>i'm considering removing the sisal and putting carpet on there. unless
>anyone has any good ideas!

It's more just a matter of what your cats prefer...

--
If you cannot convince them, confuse them.

jils
November 24th 05, 09:21 AM
you mean i should've asked them first, right?
when will i learn ... <sigh>

DevilsPGD wrote:

> It's more just a matter of what your cats prefer...

DevilsPGD
November 24th 05, 09:54 AM
In message > jils
> wrote:

>you mean i should've asked them first, right?

Exactly!

--
HTML email should be treated in the same manner as sexual acts.
Only between consenting adults, in private places where willing

November 25th 05, 03:37 AM
My cats (had three and am now down to two) have always ignored anything
resembling a scratching post, except for the furniture.

My first cat essentially destroyed my fiancee's (later my ex-wife)
living room couch. She had him de-clawed; I am pleased to say that her
action took care of her furniture, but Lorenzo was still in the
business of catching most of his own dinner, even if that required
chasing the squirrels up trees.

I got my second cat before some feminist had me take his claws. After
about 15 years, he is beginning to be a lap cat and worries the
furniture only if I forget to have his claws trimmed. The other two
cats (Magnificat, now having crossed the Rainbow Bridge) and the
Princess of Tasmania did not have claws when they adopted me.

My recommendation: inherit really old furniture from grandparents, or
buy really cheap stuff at the Salvation Army. I guess that the cats
really prefer people-smelling stuff, even to things we spray with
catnip.

jils
November 26th 05, 03:06 AM
enjoyed your story!

my cats have always loved their scratching post. it's five feet high,
with four platforms and a hammock.
they go to it many times a day to stretch and scratch. or they DID !

they've never approached any furniture-for-humans with any intention
other than sleep.
they're still not harming the furniture at all, i just feel guilty that
i took away the source of so much pleasure by changing the carpet for sisal!

wrote:
> My cats (had three and am now down to two) have always ignored anything
> resembling a scratching post, except for the furniture.
>
> My first cat essentially destroyed my fiancee's (later my ex-wife)
> living room couch. She had him de-clawed; I am pleased to say that her
> action took care of her furniture, but Lorenzo was still in the
> business of catching most of his own dinner, even if that required
> chasing the squirrels up trees.
>
> I got my second cat before some feminist had me take his claws. After
> about 15 years, he is beginning to be a lap cat and worries the
> furniture only if I forget to have his claws trimmed. The other two
> cats (Magnificat, now having crossed the Rainbow Bridge) and the
> Princess of Tasmania did not have claws when they adopted me.
>
> My recommendation: inherit really old furniture from grandparents, or
> buy really cheap stuff at the Salvation Army. I guess that the cats
> really prefer people-smelling stuff, even to things we spray with
> catnip.

Judy
November 29th 05, 07:28 AM
"jils" > wrote in message
u...
> enjoyed your story!
>
> my cats have always loved their scratching post. it's five feet high, with
> four platforms and a hammock.
> they go to it many times a day to stretch and scratch. or they DID !
>
> they've never approached any furniture-for-humans with any intention other
> than sleep.
> they're still not harming the furniture at all, i just feel guilty that i
> took away the source of so much pleasure by changing the carpet for sisal!

And so you should feel guilty! Change the sisal back to carpet and forgive
yourself.