PDA

View Full Version : Keeping cat off the babies

Snittens
November 23rd 05, 07:17 PM
Hi,
I have an issue here with one of my cats, NewCat, stepping on the babies
when they are in my lap. We've always joked that NewCat does not respect
personal space. She's the type who will walk right across you like you're
part of the furniture. While I was pregnant, I tried unsuccessfully to get
her to stop pouncing on my belly and kneading it. What she does now, is if
I am holding a baby on my lap, she will hop right up and sometimes step on
her. If I see that she is putting a paw towards the baby, I say "No" in a
loud voice and try to steer her away, but I can't always react quick enough
and sometimes she just does it anyway. It's hard to push her down safely
while holding a baby and a bottle too if I am feeding.
Since I can't wrap the babies in tinfoil or spray them with citrus, how do I
keep her from doing this? I don't want NewCat to think she can't sit in my
lap, just not when I have a baby on me. The babies are only 3 months, so
they can't defend themselves. FTR, the cats and the babies are not going
anywhere.

This is a real issue I'm having, please no flames.

--
-Kelly

.oO rach Oo.
November 23rd 05, 07:56 PM
I am worried about the same thing with one of our cats too ( I am 34 weeks).
From what I've read, if you keep up the behaviour you are doing now with the
stern NO, that's about all you can do. I am sure the cat will learn... it
just takes time. Maybe when the baby is asleep, you can spend some extra
time with kitty so she learns the difference between you on your own and you
with the baby. Maybe when you are doing something like feeding you should
sit somewhere the cat cannot easily get to you or do it in a closed room. I
am sure a paw or two on the baby shouldn't hurt it. Like I have said to a
lot of the people that told me to get rid of the cats... they were my babies
first and it is hardly fair to them if I dump them just because they need a
little training. Besides, growing up with animals in the home is great for
your little baby.

Good luck

--
..oO rach Oo.

"Snittens" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have an issue here with one of my cats, NewCat, stepping on the babies
> when they are in my lap. We've always joked that NewCat does not respect
> personal space. She's the type who will walk right across you like you're
> part of the furniture. While I was pregnant, I tried unsuccessfully to
> get her to stop pouncing on my belly and kneading it. What she does now,
> is if I am holding a baby on my lap, she will hop right up and sometimes
> step on her. If I see that she is putting a paw towards the baby, I say
> "No" in a loud voice and try to steer her away, but I can't always react
> quick enough and sometimes she just does it anyway. It's hard to push her
> down safely while holding a baby and a bottle too if I am feeding.
> Since I can't wrap the babies in tinfoil or spray them with citrus, how do
> I keep her from doing this? I don't want NewCat to think she can't sit in
> my lap, just not when I have a baby on me. The babies are only 3 months,
> so they can't defend themselves. FTR, the cats and the babies are not
> going anywhere.
>
> This is a real issue I'm having, please no flames.
>
> --
> -Kelly

No More Retail
November 23rd 05, 08:20 PM
Snittens you got to remember the firball was the baby before. Now it is the
older child he/ she is wanting attention. How My wife dealt with it was to
pay as much attention to the cat before you pick up the child. If it is a
quick pick up carry have a little bag of treats with you to tell the
firball you know they are there.

His stepping on the children is accidental he/she does not recognize yet
that these are not inanimate objects. You are doing the right thing by
putting her down and reinforcing her with no when you have the kids in your
lap. To make sure the firball knows it can still get there you can place
the cat in your lap when you are ready for it. The firball will learn it
just will take time

When she breast feed she went into her own room and closed the door the cats
didn't like that but they had to deal with it. Sometimes you can't be a
softie when dealing with them just like children you have to be stern it
sucks but it guides them in the right direction.

http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/behavior.shtml#a_new_baby

"Snittens" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have an issue here with one of my cats, NewCat, stepping on the babies
> when they are in my lap. We've always joked that NewCat does not respect
> personal space. She's the type who will walk right across you like you're
> part of the furniture. While I was pregnant, I tried unsuccessfully to
> get her to stop pouncing on my belly and kneading it. What she does now,
> is if I am holding a baby on my lap, she will hop right up and sometimes
> step on her. If I see that she is putting a paw towards the baby, I say
> "No" in a loud voice and try to steer her away, but I can't always react
> quick enough and sometimes she just does it anyway. It's hard to push her
> down safely while holding a baby and a bottle too if I am feeding.
> Since I can't wrap the babies in tinfoil or spray them with citrus, how do
> I keep her from doing this? I don't want NewCat to think she can't sit in
> my lap, just not when I have a baby on me. The babies are only 3 months,
> so they can't defend themselves. FTR, the cats and the babies are not
> going anywhere.
>
> This is a real issue I'm having, please no flames.
>
> --
> -Kelly

No More Retail
November 23rd 05, 08:21 PM
Pss the kneading will never stop it is a sign of affection

".oO rach Oo." > wrote in message
. ..
>I am worried about the same thing with one of our cats too ( I am 34
>weeks). From what I've read, if you keep up the behaviour you are doing now
>with the stern NO, that's about all you can do. I am sure the cat will
>learn... it just takes time. Maybe when the baby is asleep, you can spend
>some extra time with kitty so she learns the difference between you on your
>own and you with the baby. Maybe when you are doing something like feeding
>you should sit somewhere the cat cannot easily get to you or do it in a
>closed room. I am sure a paw or two on the baby shouldn't hurt it. Like I
>have said to a lot of the people that told me to get rid of the cats...
>they were my babies first and it is hardly fair to them if I dump them just
>because they need a little training. Besides, growing up with animals in
>the home is great for your little baby.
>
> Good luck
>
> --
> .oO rach Oo.
>

> "Snittens" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have an issue here with one of my cats, NewCat, stepping on the babies
>> when they are in my lap. We've always joked that NewCat does not respect
>> personal space. She's the type who will walk right across you like
>> you're part of the furniture. While I was pregnant, I tried
>> unsuccessfully to get her to stop pouncing on my belly and kneading it.
>> What she does now, is if I am holding a baby on my lap, she will hop
>> right up and sometimes step on her. If I see that she is putting a paw
>> towards the baby, I say "No" in a loud voice and try to steer her away,
>> but I can't always react quick enough and sometimes she just does it
>> anyway. It's hard to push her down safely while holding a baby and a
>> bottle too if I am feeding.
>> Since I can't wrap the babies in tinfoil or spray them with citrus, how
>> do I keep her from doing this? I don't want NewCat to think she can't
>> sit in my lap, just not when I have a baby on me. The babies are only 3
>> months, so they can't defend themselves. FTR, the cats and the babies
>> are not going anywhere.
>>
>> This is a real issue I'm having, please no flames.
>>
>> --
>> -Kelly

whitershadeofpale
November 23rd 05, 08:23 PM
Snittens wrote:

> This is a real issue I'm having, please no flames.
>
> --
> -Kelly

No flames here.

Look, you are letting her do this.

This may not be what you wanna hear...
but you're letting her.

Maybe sometimes there is no easy answer.

An old dog will lick you in the mouth if you let it.

No More Retail
November 23rd 05, 08:26 PM
Congrats on the 34 weeks and snittens congrats on the new additions

you can tell a lot about people when something like this happens their true
self comes out example just get rid of the cat ( I hate that )
Me anyone that would have told me to get rid of the cat would never be in my
life again or have one hell of a butt chewing if they were family.

".oO rach Oo." > wrote in message
. ..
>I am worried about the same thing with one of our cats too ( I am 34
>weeks). From what I've read, if you keep up the behaviour you are doing now
>with the stern NO, that's about all you can do. I am sure the cat will
>learn... it just takes time. Maybe when the baby is asleep, you can spend
>some extra time with kitty so she learns the difference between you on your
>own and you with the baby. Maybe when you are doing something like feeding
>you should sit somewhere the cat cannot easily get to you or do it in a
>closed room. I am sure a paw or two on the baby shouldn't hurt it. Like I
>have said to a lot of the people that told me to get rid of the cats...
>they were my babies first and it is hardly fair to them if I dump them just
>because they need a little training. Besides, growing up with animals in
>the home is great for your little baby.
>
> Good luck
>
> --
> .oO rach Oo.
>

> "Snittens" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have an issue here with one of my cats, NewCat, stepping on the babies
>> when they are in my lap. We've always joked that NewCat does not respect
>> personal space. She's the type who will walk right across you like
>> you're part of the furniture. While I was pregnant, I tried
>> unsuccessfully to get her to stop pouncing on my belly and kneading it.
>> What she does now, is if I am holding a baby on my lap, she will hop
>> right up and sometimes step on her. If I see that she is putting a paw
>> towards the baby, I say "No" in a loud voice and try to steer her away,
>> but I can't always react quick enough and sometimes she just does it
>> anyway. It's hard to push her down safely while holding a baby and a
>> bottle too if I am feeding.
>> Since I can't wrap the babies in tinfoil or spray them with citrus, how
>> do I keep her from doing this? I don't want NewCat to think she can't
>> sit in my lap, just not when I have a baby on me. The babies are only 3
>> months, so they can't defend themselves. FTR, the cats and the babies
>> are not going anywhere.
>>
>> This is a real issue I'm having, please no flames.
>>
>> --
>> -Kelly

Snittens
November 23rd 05, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I really can't go into a different room
every time I feed as I have twins and that would mean taking them both with
me and going upstairs. I have no room that can be shut off in the main
living area, and if I sequestered myself every time I had to feed a baby,
which is twice as often as a normal person, I would be in the nursery all
day.
I do try to spend extra time one-on-one with the cats. Every morning my
husband takes the babies from 5am-8am, and I go back into the master bedroom
and NewCat snuggles with me just like old times.
My other concern is that she will start to view the babies negatively. I
don't mind the cats and babies interacting at all, I just don't want her
stepping on them. My cat Ana will groom their heads, it's really cute!

I got the "get rid of the cats" comment a lot too. :(

--
-Kelly

".oO rach Oo." > wrote in message
. ..
>I am worried about the same thing with one of our cats too ( I am 34
>weeks). From what I've read, if you keep up the behaviour you are doing now
>with the stern NO, that's about all you can do. I am sure the cat will
>learn... it just takes time. Maybe when the baby is asleep, you can spend
>some extra time with kitty so she learns the difference between you on your
>own and you with the baby. Maybe when you are doing something like feeding
>you should sit somewhere the cat cannot easily get to you or do it in a
>closed room. I am sure a paw or two on the baby shouldn't hurt it. Like I
>have said to a lot of the people that told me to get rid of the cats...
>they were my babies first and it is hardly fair to them if I dump them just
>because they need a little training. Besides, growing up with animals in
>the home is great for your little baby.
>
> Good luck
>
> --
> .oO rach Oo.
>

> "Snittens" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have an issue here with one of my cats, NewCat, stepping on the babies
>> when they are in my lap. We've always joked that NewCat does not respect
>> personal space. She's the type who will walk right across you like
>> you're part of the furniture. While I was pregnant, I tried
>> unsuccessfully to get her to stop pouncing on my belly and kneading it.
>> What she does now, is if I am holding a baby on my lap, she will hop
>> right up and sometimes step on her. If I see that she is putting a paw
>> towards the baby, I say "No" in a loud voice and try to steer her away,
>> but I can't always react quick enough and sometimes she just does it
>> anyway. It's hard to push her down safely while holding a baby and a
>> bottle too if I am feeding.
>> Since I can't wrap the babies in tinfoil or spray them with citrus, how
>> do I keep her from doing this? I don't want NewCat to think she can't
>> sit in my lap, just not when I have a baby on me. The babies are only 3
>> months, so they can't defend themselves. FTR, the cats and the babies
>> are not going anywhere.
>>
>> This is a real issue I'm having, please no flames.
>>
>> --
>> -Kelly

Snittens
November 23rd 05, 08:45 PM
"No More Retail" > wrote in message
> Pss the kneading will never stop it is a sign of affection

Yes, I know. I don't want it to stop, but when I was pregnant with twins it
really hurt my belly (and boobs!).

--
-Kelly

CatNipped
November 23rd 05, 10:37 PM
"Snittens" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have an issue here with one of my cats, NewCat, stepping on the babies
> when they are in my lap. We've always joked that NewCat does not respect
> personal space. She's the type who will walk right across you like you're
> part of the furniture. While I was pregnant, I tried unsuccessfully to
get
> her to stop pouncing on my belly and kneading it. What she does now, is
if
> I am holding a baby on my lap, she will hop right up and sometimes step on
> her. If I see that she is putting a paw towards the baby, I say "No" in a
> loud voice and try to steer her away, but I can't always react quick
enough
> and sometimes she just does it anyway. It's hard to push her down safely
> while holding a baby and a bottle too if I am feeding.
> Since I can't wrap the babies in tinfoil or spray them with citrus, how do
> keep her from doing this? I don't want NewCat to think she can't sit in
my
> lap, just not when I have a baby on me. The babies are only 3 months, so
> they can't defend themselves. FTR, the cats and the babies are not going
> anywhere.
>
> This is a real issue I'm having, please no flames.
>
> --
> -Kelly

That's a tough one! You don't want the cat to associate negative
reinforcement with your babies, but you need to keep her from clawing
delicate baby skin.

Maybe you can do something that will distract her while you are feeding the
baby, like keep a laser pointer handy and put down the bottle and substitute
the pointer for a minute.

Other than that you could hiss/spit at the cat when she starts to walk on
the babies, but again, that will make her associate adverse reactions with
the babies.

Good luck, let us know how it goes and if you find something that works.

Hugs,

CatNipped

whitershadeofpale
November 23rd 05, 11:01 PM
Snittens wrote:

> This is a real issue I'm having, please no flames.
>
> --
> -Kelly

...Congrats on your new edition(s)

I don't mean to over simplify but you know what they say

KISS
stands for

keep it simple snittens

just toss the cat off your lap.

you scared the cat ain't going to love you?
Oh Fiddlesticks

let the cat go through whatever changes it has to cause you're in this
for a long time.

Sorry Catnipped, I damn sho wouldn't try to take care of babies and
entertain the cat with a laser pointer at the same time...OMG

CATS CATS CATS

whitershadeofpale
November 23rd 05, 11:08 PM
CatNipped wrote:

> Other than that you could hiss/spit at the cat when she starts to walk on
> the babies, but again, that will make her associate adverse reactions with
> the babies.

exactly

it means back off right

see...you shouldn't second guess yourself
just go with what you know and this saves mental energy
don't worry bout conforming your actions just to uphold a
pet philosophy...
(you're going to kick my ass ain't you)...

Just go with it! Do the first thing that comes to your mind
we ain't children no more, we know whats going on.

CatNipped
November 23rd 05, 11:31 PM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> CatNipped wrote:
>
> > Other than that you could hiss/spit at the cat when she starts to walk
on
> > the babies, but again, that will make her associate adverse reactions
with
> > the babies.
>
> exactly
>
> it means back off right
>
> see...you shouldn't second guess yourself
> just go with what you know and this saves mental energy
> don't worry bout conforming your actions just to uphold a
> pet philosophy...
> (you're going to kick my ass ain't you)...

LOL. I don't kick asses, I give hugs - I'm a former hippy from the "make
love not war" generation and a firm believer that you can catch more flies
with honey than with vinegar (though why anyone would want to catch flies is
beyond me).

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Just go with it! Do the first thing that comes to your mind
> we ain't children no more, we know whats going on.

whitershadeofpale
November 23rd 05, 11:38 PM
CatNipped wrote:

> LOL. I don't kick asses, I give hugs - I'm a former hippy from the "make
> love not war" generation and a firm believer that you can catch more flies
> with honey than with vinegar (though why anyone would want to catch flies is
> beyond me).

If it was my wife and my baby and the cat wouldn't leave them alone...

well, it would never get that far...

but
If I was holding my baby and my cat was getting on my nerves, I would
just put an end to the trifles. Like...staaaahhp! and smush the cat
over, or away, or down...I'd speak to him and say NO.

The cat is dragging germs onto the baby, germs from litter box, kitchen
floor, bathroom floor, etc.

iiiii can understand the cat needing a little extra attention, so sure,
it's not just a one step fix...it can be..but I would also give my cat
some extra love. but I'd dare it to walk on my baby.

Thanks for not beating me up.

huggers...lol

whitershadeofpale
November 24th 05, 04:21 AM
Snittens wrote:

> This is a real issue I'm having, please no flames.
>
> --
> -Kelly

how's it going?

I keep thinking about this

I'm not going to say anymore, I promise.

Hope it's going nice for you.

November 24th 05, 12:35 PM
A few germs may be good. Too many is not good. But children exposed to
pets when young have fewer instances of asthma.

whitershadeofpale
November 24th 05, 02:28 PM
wrote:
> A few germs may be good.

you shure? a newborn?

There was a study about "dirty" children v.s. "undirty"
The dirty kids had little no allergies as adults.
(something like that)

Dave Janes
November 26th 05, 04:27 AM
And other allergies as well as contributing to the strengthening of
the immune system in general.

Kinda like cute little flu shots! :)

Regards

David

On 24 Nov 2005 03:35:03 -0800, "
> wrote:

>A few germs may be good. Too many is not good. But children exposed to
>pets when young have fewer instances of asthma.

( \
\ \
/ / |\\
/ / .-`````-. / ^`-.
\ \ / \_/ {|} `o
\ \ / .---. \\ _ ,--'
\ \/ / \, \( `^^^
\ \/\ (\ )
\ ) \ ) \ \
) /__ \__ ) (\ \___
(___)))__))(__))(__)))

-L.
November 26th 05, 10:03 AM
Snittens wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an issue here with one of my cats, NewCat, stepping on the babies
> when they are in my lap. We've always joked that NewCat does not respect
> personal space. She's the type who will walk right across you like you're
> part of the furniture. While I was pregnant, I tried unsuccessfully to get
> her to stop pouncing on my belly and kneading it. What she does now, is if
> I am holding a baby on my lap, she will hop right up and sometimes step on
> her. If I see that she is putting a paw towards the baby, I say "No" in a
> loud voice and try to steer her away, but I can't always react quick enough
> and sometimes she just does it anyway. It's hard to push her down safely
> while holding a baby and a bottle too if I am feeding.
> Since I can't wrap the babies in tinfoil or spray them with citrus, how do I
> keep her from doing this?

LOL... Put some foil around you when you sit in your spot to feed the
girls. Hiss at her when she jumps on you unexpectedly - it hurts and
she needs to know not to do it. And just keep trying - eventually
she'll get the message.

-L.

Snittens
November 26th 05, 07:57 PM
"-L." > wrote

> LOL... Put some foil around you when you sit in your spot to feed the
> girls. Hiss at her when she jumps on you unexpectedly - it hurts and
> she needs to know not to do it. And just keep trying - eventually
> she'll get the message.

The other day I was feeding both babies at the same time, and NewCat jumps
up in between them, squeezing herself into the available space on my lap. I
couldn't really do anything to stop her. Luckily, she just settled in and
kneaded me. I'll try the hissing, forgot about that one.
--
-Kelly

cybercat
November 26th 05, 08:13 PM
"Snittens" > wrote in message
> "-L." > wrote
> >
> > LOL... Put some foil around you when you sit in your spot to feed the
> > girls. Hiss at her when she jumps on you unexpectedly - it hurts and
> > she needs to know not to do it. And just keep trying - eventually
> > she'll get the message.
> >

> The other day I was feeding both babies at the same time, and NewCat jumps
> up in between them, squeezing herself into the available space on my lap.
> couldn't really do anything to stop her. Luckily, she just settled in and
> kneaded me. I'll try the hissing, forgot about that one.
> --

Yes, that will be good. You'll find yourself trying to feed them strained
peas one day and they will hiss at you in unison. :)