PDA

View Full Version : Critters in the water dish

Mark
November 25th 05, 04:29 PM
Hello.

This morning I found some odd critters in the water dish
that is shared by our two cats. They appeared to be small
worms or flukes, about 3 or 4 mm long, clinging to the
inside of the bowl. They were white and each appeared to
have a tiny black spot where it had attached to the bowl.
Running water would not dislodge them--I had to scrub
out the bowl.

Any idea what these are?

The cats are indoor/outdoor. The bowl is located
indoors.

Thanks
-Mark

mlbriggs
November 25th 05, 06:50 PM
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:29:34 -0800, Mark wrote:

> Hello.
>
> This morning I found some odd critters in the water dish that is shared by
> our two cats. They appeared to be small worms or flukes, about 3 or 4 mm
> long, clinging to the inside of the bowl. They were white and each
> appeared to have a tiny black spot where it had attached to the bowl.
> Running water would not dislodge them--I had to scrub out the bowl.
>
> Any idea what these are?
>
> The cats are indoor/outdoor. The bowl is located indoors.
>
> Thanks
> -Mark

How long since you changed the water? A number of years ago, I forgot
about one of the water bowls that I had scattered about the house. When I
found it, there were odd things in it -- kind of like a stagnant pond.
MLB

Mark
November 25th 05, 07:17 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote:

> How long since you changed the water? A number of years ago, I forgot
> about one of the water bowls that I had scattered about the house. When I
> found it, there were odd things in it -- kind of like a stagnant pond.

I change the water once or twice a day. However, I don't scrub out
the water bowl very frequently, so these critters were able to stay
put in the bowl. Our new policy is to thoroughly wash the cats' water
bowl at least once a day.

-Mark

Mark
November 25th 05, 09:59 PM
"Barb" > wrote:

> Gee, just curious. Where do you live- in the south?

Seattle.

Barb
November 25th 05, 10:53 PM
Gee, just curious. Where do you live- in the south?

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

cybercat
November 26th 05, 03:22 PM
"Barb" > wrote in message
o.verio.net...
> That is strange! I give the cats fresh water 2x a day and twice a week
wash
> out their bowls with soap and hot water. Never saw anything like that. I
> live in NY.

Well there's your answer! What could live in NY water?

*grinning, ducking and running*

Barb
November 26th 05, 04:07 PM
That is strange! I give the cats fresh water 2x a day and twice a week wash
out their bowls with soap and hot water. Never saw anything like that. I
live in NY.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

November 26th 05, 04:50 PM
"cybercat" > wrote:

>"Barb" > wrote in message
o.verio.net...
>> That is strange! I give the cats fresh water 2x a day and twice a week
>wash
>> out their bowls with soap and hot water. Never saw anything like that. I
>> live in NY.
>>

>Well there's your answer! What could live in NY water?
>
>*grinning, ducking and running*

Alligators of course :-)

-mhd

cybercat
November 26th 05, 07:00 PM
> wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>

> >"Barb" > wrote in message
> o.verio.net...
> >> That is strange! I give the cats fresh water 2x a day and twice a week
> >wash
> >> out their bowls with soap and hot water. Never saw anything like that.
> >> live in NY.
> >>

> >Well there's your answer! What could live in NY water?
> >
> >*grinning, ducking and running*
> >

> Alligators of course :-)

Oh, yeah, that's right!! I forgot about the giant alligators that
grew in the sewers from all the little baby alligators once
sold as novelties at the five and dimes!!

Rhonda
November 27th 05, 05:05 AM
Mark, were they above or below the water line?

My sig. other thinks they were maggots. Have any flies in the house? I
don't believe they could live under water though.

Rhonda

Mark wrote:

> Hello.
>
> This morning I found some odd critters in the water dish
> that is shared by our two cats. They appeared to be small
> worms or flukes, about 3 or 4 mm long, clinging to the
> inside of the bowl. They were white and each appeared to
> have a tiny black spot where it had attached to the bowl.
> Running water would not dislodge them--I had to scrub
> out the bowl.
>
> Any idea what these are?
>
> The cats are indoor/outdoor. The bowl is located
> indoors.
>
> Thanks
> -Mark

Barb
November 27th 05, 07:22 PM
"Barb" > wrote in message
o.verio.net...
> That is strange! I give the cats fresh water 2x a day and twice a week
wash
> out their bowls with soap and hot water. Never saw anything like that. I
> live in NY.

Well there's your answer! What could live in NY water?

*grinning, ducking and running*

Well, wise guy,
I offered them filtered water but they won't drink it and the best treat for
them is to hang upside down and drink out of the bath tub!

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

cybercat
November 27th 05, 08:53 PM
"Barb" > wrote in message
o.verio.net...

> "Barb" > wrote in message
> o.verio.net...
> > That is strange! I give the cats fresh water 2x a day and twice a week
> wash
> > out their bowls with soap and hot water. Never saw anything like that.
> > live in NY.
> >

> Well there's your answer! What could live in NY water?
>
> *grinning, ducking and running*
>
> Well, wise guy,
> I offered them filtered water but they won't drink it and the best treat
for
> them is to hang upside down and drink out of the bath tub!

I'd like to see that!

Mark
November 27th 05, 09:01 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote:
> Mark, were they above or below the water line?

Below.

Lumpy
November 27th 05, 09:04 PM
"Mark" > wrote in message

> "Rhonda" > wrote:
> > Mark, were they above or below the water line?
>
> Below.

If it were me, I would worry about my water. Where are you?

Rhonda
November 27th 05, 10:11 PM
He said he's in Seattle -- same area of the world as me. Yikes.

Rhonda

Lumpy wrote:

> If it were me, I would worry about my water. Where are you?

cybercat
November 28th 05, 05:44 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> He said he's in Seattle -- same area of the world as me. Yikes.

Eyyuuu. Very scary.

cheryl_is_freak
November 28th 05, 10:09 PM
Mark wrote:
> Hello.

> Any idea what these are?
>
> The cats are indoor/outdoor. The bowl is located
> indoors.
>
> Thanks
> -Mark

You're a nasty fop. Whens the last time you scrubbed the bowl.

I should call the humane society on you, have them kick your gooey door
down
and take your cats.

The cats need to be placed somewhere, where they can get proper care.

And, I don't believe how ignorant you are to even post this ****.

Wasting my ****ing time.

Mark
November 29th 05, 08:00 PM
"cheryl_is_freak" > wrote:

> (*deleted*)

Hie the back under thy bridge, thou most foul and scurrilous troll!

cybercat
November 29th 05, 08:41 PM
"Mark" > wrote in message
> "cheryl_is_freak" > wrote:
> >
> > (*deleted*)
>
> Hie the back under thy bridge, thou most foul and scurrilous troll!

What did you do with the water dish creatures? Do you know
what they were?

Mark
November 30th 05, 05:27 AM
"cybercat" > wrote:

> What did you do with the water dish creatures? Do you know
> what they were?

Scrubbed 'em out of the bowl and rinsed 'em down the drain.
In retrospect, I probably should have kept them and showed
them to the vet.

I guess it's time to collect stool samples from the kitties.

-Mark

Barb
November 30th 05, 03:53 PM
Go to the water authority with a sample of the water.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,