PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have a cat that tried to clean windows?

Jason Travis
November 26th 05, 04:34 AM
My cat Caesar seems to have a weird attraction for glass or reflective
surfaces. Often I will hear the glass door outside rattling, and it's the
cat squeeking his paw up and down it. He doesn't want out or in usually and
acts clueless if I open the door.

Often he will jump up on the sink when I am in the bathroom and wipe the
glass mirror. I thought perhaps he was doing something with steam from the
shower, but he also does it without steam.

I thought this was just a quirk, but lately he's also climbed precariously
up to a high bedroom mirror to rub the surface of that, and I've found him
up on the couch doing the glass in a picture frame. It's like he's testing
all of the reflective surfaces in the house.

Do we need to dust more often, or is this some type of explainable behavior?
Caesar often will put a paw on you almost the same way a human would touch a
pet...sometimes he feels like he's comforting in a "there there" type of
gesture.

Any ideas?

Willow
November 26th 05, 07:32 AM
Belkira used to do the same thing.. he would do that on a mirror for a
while, and when I would walk by and make fun of him he would just give me a
dirty look (I called it his "Die now" look) and walk away..

He did patio doors and windows that he could reach too.. He was overweight
though, so he was limited in his climbing abilities..
--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"Jason Travis" > wrote in message
> My cat Caesar seems to have a weird attraction for glass or reflective
> surfaces. Often I will hear the glass door outside rattling, and it's the
> cat squeeking his paw up and down it. He doesn't want out or in usually
and
> acts clueless if I open the door.
>
> Often he will jump up on the sink when I am in the bathroom and wipe the
> glass mirror. I thought perhaps he was doing something with steam from
the
> shower, but he also does it without steam.
>
> I thought this was just a quirk, but lately he's also climbed precariously
> up to a high bedroom mirror to rub the surface of that, and I've found him
> up on the couch doing the glass in a picture frame. It's like he's
testing
> all of the reflective surfaces in the house.
>
> Do we need to dust more often, or is this some type of explainable
behavior?
> Caesar often will put a paw on you almost the same way a human would touch
> pet...sometimes he feels like he's comforting in a "there there" type of
> gesture.
>
> Any ideas?

Jason Travis
November 27th 05, 04:11 AM
> A friend of mine has OCD that manifests itself through a compulsion to
> organize his books based on various orders and clean the kitchen.
> Neither is too much to handle. Perhaps your kitty has something for
> the feeling of smooth, cool glass on his paws.

It is cute...squeak squeak...

He could very well have a slight neurological "thing"...when he was born he
used to shake his head from time to time...I was afraid he had something
like autism (if that happens in cats, I don't know) but he sort of worked it
into his personality. He's loveable and twitchy sometimes.

I thought of two possibilities. Caesar is very observant and often will
watch us complete tasks. I thought perhaps he's seen us organizing and
cleaning and wants to "pitch in" so to speak.

Other thing...he seems to have some magical ability to appear inside the
house when we are certain he's outside and didn't come in the door or a
window. I'm wondering if his strategy is to push on the basement glass
windows till he gets one to open, and he just figures any glass is possibly
a doorway to somewhere else.