PDA

View Full Version : lap cat fakers

furfin
November 27th 05, 04:20 AM
Niether of my two cats is a lap cat, although I wanted them to be. The
first one seemed like a shoulder kitty at the shelter when I adopted
him at seven months...however he was shown from a cage and I was
required to hold him so he couldn't touch the floor. The second one,
adopted a year later did climb in my lap at the shelter when he was six
months old, but after coming home imitated the other's independent
streak. Now at 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 respectively the two little con artists
are spoiled rotten and they are happy kitties. One gives nose kisses
and the other will allow himself to be held on his back in my arms like
a baby. I put them in my lap and give treats, but they usually jump off
the lap immeadiately afterward. Niether gets in the lap on their own.
Have I been had? Is there any chance they will mellow into lap fungus
in later life? Or was it all an evil plot to make me their slave for
life, and now they can't be bothered...sniff
Any advice, insights, anecdotes about you lap or non-lap kitty
appreciated!

No More Retail
November 27th 05, 04:31 AM
Welcome to slavehood
Welcome to being owned by a cat or your case joint custody
Ain't it wonderful

"furfin" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Niether of my two cats is a lap cat, although I wanted them to be. The
> first one seemed like a shoulder kitty at the shelter when I adopted
> him at seven months...however he was shown from a cage and I was
> required to hold him so he couldn't touch the floor. The second one,
> adopted a year later did climb in my lap at the shelter when he was six
> months old, but after coming home imitated the other's independent
> streak. Now at 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 respectively the two little con artists
> are spoiled rotten and they are happy kitties. One gives nose kisses
> and the other will allow himself to be held on his back in my arms like
> a baby. I put them in my lap and give treats, but they usually jump off
> the lap immeadiately afterward. Niether gets in the lap on their own.
> Have I been had? Is there any chance they will mellow into lap fungus
> in later life? Or was it all an evil plot to make me their slave for
> life, and now they can't be bothered...sniff
> Any advice, insights, anecdotes about you lap or non-lap kitty
> appreciated!

Rona Y.
November 27th 05, 04:33 AM
My cat is not a lap kitty at all. When I spotted her at the humane
society, she was staring intently at me through the bars of her cage
(her cage was in the upper level, so she was looking down). From the
moment we got her into the trial room, she refused to let me carry her
and she went under a chair and stared at me again. Well, as far as I
was concerned, she was just playing hard-to-get, so I adopted her,
thinking she'd warm up eventually.

After 5 years, she's still not a lap cat. However, I discovered that
as soon as I hold out a brush or comb, she'll come running and happily
sit on my lap for hours to be brushed.

So, to answer your question, yes, it was an evil plot to make you their
slave for life. All cats do it. Even if you don't realize you've been
had, always remember, you have!!

An aside, one of my co-workers was discussing another, very difficult
and unpleasant co-worker. She said, "She's just like a cat. When she
wants something, she sidles up to you and acts nice, but she's really
quite mean" or something like that. Now, I love cats, so I was a
little offended that she compared the difficult and unpleasant
co-worker with something I love. However, she had a point...:-)

claudel
November 27th 05, 04:46 AM
In article om>,
furfin > wrote:
>Niether of my two cats is a lap cat, although I wanted them to be. The
>first one seemed like a shoulder kitty at the shelter when I adopted
>him at seven months...however he was shown from a cage and I was
>required to hold him so he couldn't touch the floor. The second one,
>adopted a year later did climb in my lap at the shelter when he was six
>months old, but after coming home imitated the other's independent
>streak. Now at 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 respectively the two little con artists
>are spoiled rotten and they are happy kitties. One gives nose kisses
>and the other will allow himself to be held on his back in my arms like
>a baby. I put them in my lap and give treats, but they usually jump off
>the lap immeadiately afterward. Niether gets in the lap on their own.
>Have I been had? Is there any chance they will mellow into lap fungus
>in later life? Or was it all an evil plot to make me their slave for
>life, and now they can't be bothered...sniff
>Any advice, insights, anecdotes about you lap or non-lap kitty
>appreciated!

Bubba isn't really a lap kitty because he's too big and hangs off
both sides. It doesn't seem to be too comfortable for him.

If I lie on my back he'll lie on my chest and stomach
for awhile but he takes up my whole torso, and I'm 6'1" 190lbs...

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/bubba/bubba.html

If I don't keep his claws trimmed he digs holes in my shirts
and in my chest kneading...

Claude

furfin
November 27th 05, 05:04 AM
Devious little beings...I thought so!

furfin
November 27th 05, 05:05 AM
Bubba is a glorious gorgeous beast!

claudel
November 27th 05, 05:13 AM
In article . com>,
furfin > wrote:
>Bubba is a glorious gorgeous beast!

Yeah. I lucked out with owners.

Claude

mlbriggs
November 27th 05, 06:54 AM
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:20:20 -0800, furfin wrote:

> Niether of my two cats is a lap cat, although I wanted them to be. The
> first one seemed like a shoulder kitty at the shelter when I adopted him
> at seven months...however he was shown from a cage and I was required to
> hold him so he couldn't touch the floor. The second one, adopted a year
> later did climb in my lap at the shelter when he was six months old, but
> after coming home imitated the other's independent streak. Now at 2 1/2
> and 1 1/2 respectively the two little con artists are spoiled rotten and
> they are happy kitties. One gives nose kisses and the other will allow
> himself to be held on his back in my arms like a baby. I put them in my
> lap and give treats, but they usually jump off the lap immeadiately
> afterward. Niether gets in the lap on their own. Have I been had? Is there
> any chance they will mellow into lap fungus in later life? Or was it all
> an evil plot to make me their slave for life, and now they can't be
> bothered...sniff Any advice, insights, anecdotes about you lap or non-lap
> kitty appreciated!

IMHO Count yourself lucky. It can become very tiresome to never be able
to sit down without a furry attaching to you

furfin
November 27th 05, 07:09 AM
Yeah, its ironic. I talked to a lady who had adopted a little girl
kitty from the same shelter and she was complaining about her always
jumping in her lap. They know what we want...and do the opposite! Note:
my boys are most affectionate just prior to dinner hour.

Willow
November 27th 05, 07:29 AM
You sooo have been had..

Welcome to the club.. ;op

Sssssslavery, I tell you ssssssssslavery !

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

"furfin" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Niether of my two cats is a lap cat, although I wanted them to be. The
> first one seemed like a shoulder kitty at the shelter when I adopted
> him at seven months...however he was shown from a cage and I was
> required to hold him so he couldn't touch the floor. The second one,
> adopted a year later did climb in my lap at the shelter when he was six
> months old, but after coming home imitated the other's independent
> streak. Now at 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 respectively the two little con artists
> are spoiled rotten and they are happy kitties. One gives nose kisses
> and the other will allow himself to be held on his back in my arms like
> a baby. I put them in my lap and give treats, but they usually jump off
> the lap immeadiately afterward. Niether gets in the lap on their own.
> Have I been had? Is there any chance they will mellow into lap fungus
> in later life? Or was it all an evil plot to make me their slave for
> life, and now they can't be bothered...sniff
> Any advice, insights, anecdotes about you lap or non-lap kitty
> appreciated!

Willow
November 27th 05, 07:30 AM
Sit cross legged,

My dog's 40 lbs and sits and lay in my lap.. and I'm 5'5 135 lbs...

--

"claudel" > wrote in message
> In article om>,
> furfin > wrote:
> >Niether of my two cats is a lap cat, although I wanted them to be. The
> >first one seemed like a shoulder kitty at the shelter when I adopted
> >him at seven months...however he was shown from a cage and I was
> >required to hold him so he couldn't touch the floor. The second one,
> >adopted a year later did climb in my lap at the shelter when he was six
> >months old, but after coming home imitated the other's independent
> >streak. Now at 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 respectively the two little con artists
> >are spoiled rotten and they are happy kitties. One gives nose kisses
> >and the other will allow himself to be held on his back in my arms like
> >a baby. I put them in my lap and give treats, but they usually jump off
> >the lap immeadiately afterward. Niether gets in the lap on their own.
> >Have I been had? Is there any chance they will mellow into lap fungus
> >in later life? Or was it all an evil plot to make me their slave for
> >life, and now they can't be bothered...sniff
> >Any advice, insights, anecdotes about you lap or non-lap kitty
> >appreciated!
> >

> Bubba isn't really a lap kitty because he's too big and hangs off
> both sides. It doesn't seem to be too comfortable for him.
>
> If I lie on my back he'll lie on my chest and stomach
> for awhile but he takes up my whole torso, and I'm 6'1" 190lbs...
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/bubba/bubba.html
>
> If I don't keep his claws trimmed he digs holes in my shirts
> and in my chest kneading...
>

> Claude

John Doe
November 27th 05, 07:41 AM
"furfin" > wrote:

> Niether of my two cats is a lap cat, ... Any advice, insights,
> anecdotes about you lap or non-lap kitty appreciated!

I can't imagine sitting down enough for a cat to be comfortable on
my lap.

I lie down while using my computer. Every once in a while Kiki lies
on my chest. Sometimes while I am sleeping, she climbs on to my side
(I gained 10 pounds overnight). About half of the time while using
the computer, Kiki is next to my pillow or in between my chest and
left arm on the bed.

claudel
November 27th 05, 07:48 AM
In article >,
Willow > wrote:
>Sit cross legged,
>
>My dog's 40 lbs and sits and lay in my lap.. and I'm 5'5 135 lbs...

Works for me, but Bubba doesn't go for it.

Claude

>--
>Will~
>
>"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."
>
>Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.
>

>"claudel" > wrote in message
>> In article om>,
>> furfin > wrote:
>> >Niether of my two cats is a lap cat, although I wanted them to be. The
>> >first one seemed like a shoulder kitty at the shelter when I adopted
>> >him at seven months...however he was shown from a cage and I was
>> >required to hold him so he couldn't touch the floor. The second one,
>> >adopted a year later did climb in my lap at the shelter when he was six
>> >months old, but after coming home imitated the other's independent
>> >streak. Now at 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 respectively the two little con artists
>> >are spoiled rotten and they are happy kitties. One gives nose kisses
>> >and the other will allow himself to be held on his back in my arms like
>> >a baby. I put them in my lap and give treats, but they usually jump off
>> >the lap immeadiately afterward. Niether gets in the lap on their own.
>> >Have I been had? Is there any chance they will mellow into lap fungus
>> >in later life? Or was it all an evil plot to make me their slave for
>> >life, and now they can't be bothered...sniff
>> >Any advice, insights, anecdotes about you lap or non-lap kitty
>> >appreciated!
>> >

>> Bubba isn't really a lap kitty because he's too big and hangs off
>> both sides. It doesn't seem to be too comfortable for him.
>>
>> If I lie on my back he'll lie on my chest and stomach
>> for awhile but he takes up my whole torso, and I'm 6'1" 190lbs...
>>
>> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/bubba/bubba.html
>>
>> If I don't keep his claws trimmed he digs holes in my shirts
>> and in my chest kneading...
>>

>> Claude

Phil P.
November 27th 05, 07:52 AM
"furfin" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Niether of my two cats is a lap cat, although I wanted them to be. The
> first one seemed like a shoulder kitty at the shelter when I adopted
> him at seven months...however he was shown from a cage and I was
> required to hold him so he couldn't touch the floor. The second one,
> adopted a year later did climb in my lap at the shelter when he was six
> months old, but after coming home imitated the other's independent
> streak. Now at 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 respectively the two little con artists
> are spoiled rotten and they are happy kitties. One gives nose kisses
> and the other will allow himself to be held on his back in my arms like
> a baby. I put them in my lap and give treats, but they usually jump off
> the lap immeadiately afterward. Niether gets in the lap on their own.
> Have I been had?

Of course you have. Cats have the 'please adopt me' routine down to a
science- they've made it into an art form.

Here's a short excerpt from the "Silent Miaow" that should give you an idea
of the cunning and intelligence you're dealing with. Its the handbook
written by a cat and translated directly from the feline by Paul Gallico.
Its an instruction book for cats on how to take over a family:

"There didn't seem to be any evidence of children about, or servants either,
which was all to the good. Children are all right eventually, and can be
handled, but it is better, if possible, to take over your family before they
arrive. And servants can give you a lot of trouble.

This pair looked exactly like the family I wanted, so I jumped onto the
screen door, clung there, and cried piteously.

They looked up at me from their breakfast. I knew exactly how I appeared to
them from the other side of the screen door. Irresistible! I pretended to
lose my grip on the mesh and fell off, and then climbed back up again,
crying all the time.

The woman said, "Oh look! The poor little thing, it wants to come in. Maybe
it's hungry. I'll give it some milk."

Just as I expected! I had her. All I needed was to get one paw inside the
door."

Read the whole book so you'll know what you're dealing with. ;)

Is there any chance they will mellow into lap fungus
> in later life?

As cats get older, many mellow out and become more affectionate. Right now,
they're only a little older that rambunctious teenagers.

Or was it all an evil plot to make me their slave for
> life, and now they can't be bothered...sniff
> Any advice, insights, anecdotes about you lap or non-lap kitty
> appreciated!

Simple. If you want cats to do what you want all you have to do is answer
the quintessential cat question: What's in it for me? lol

Phil

Phil P.
November 27th 05, 07:53 AM
"furfin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yeah, its ironic. I talked to a lady who had adopted a little girl
> kitty from the same shelter and she was complaining about her always
> jumping in her lap. They know what we want...and do the opposite! Note:
> my boys are most affectionate just prior to dinner hour.

See? They're setting you up; they know food is coming and want to make sure
you don't forget to give them some. lol

Phil

Willow
November 27th 05, 08:07 AM
;o)

--

"claudel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Willow > wrote:
> >Sit cross legged,
> >
> >My dog's 40 lbs and sits and lay in my lap.. and I'm 5'5 135 lbs...
> >

> Works for me, but Bubba doesn't go for it.
>
> Claude
>

> >--
> >Will~
> >
> >"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."
> >
> >Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.
> >

> >"claudel" > wrote in message
> >> >

> >> Bubba isn't really a lap kitty because he's too big and hangs off
> >> both sides. It doesn't seem to be too comfortable for him.
> >>
> >> If I lie on my back he'll lie on my chest and stomach
> >> for awhile but he takes up my whole torso, and I'm 6'1" 190lbs...
> >>
> >> http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/bubba/bubba.html
> >>
> >> If I don't keep his claws trimmed he digs holes in my shirts
> >> and in my chest kneading...
> >>

> >> Claude

Willow
November 27th 05, 08:12 AM
> Here's a short excerpt from the "Silent Miaow" that should give you an
idea
> of the cunning and intelligence you're dealing with. Its the handbook
> written by a cat and translated directly from the feline by Paul Gallico.
> Its an instruction book for cats on how to take over a family:
>
> "There didn't seem to be any evidence of children about, or servants
either,
> which was all to the good. Children are all right eventually, and can be
> handled, but it is better, if possible, to take over your family before
they
> arrive. And servants can give you a lot of trouble.
>
> This pair looked exactly like the family I wanted, so I jumped onto the
> screen door, clung there, and cried piteously.
>
> They looked up at me from their breakfast. I knew exactly how I appeared
> them from the other side of the screen door. Irresistible! I pretended to
> lose my grip on the mesh and fell off, and then climbed back up again,
> crying all the time.
>
> The woman said, "Oh look! The poor little thing, it wants to come in.
Maybe
> it's hungry. I'll give it some milk."
>
> Just as I expected! I had her. All I needed was to get one paw inside the
> door."

I love this.. hehehe

> Read the whole book so you'll know what you're dealing with. ;)
>
> Is there any chance they will mellow into lap fungus
> > in later life?
>
> As cats get older, many mellow out and become more affectionate. Right
now,
> they're only a little older that rambunctious teenagers.
>

> Or was it all an evil plot to make me their slave for
> > life, and now they can't be bothered...sniff
> > Any advice, insights, anecdotes about you lap or non-lap kitty
> > appreciated!
>
> Simple. If you want cats to do what you want all you have to do is answer
> the quintessential cat question: What's in it for me? lol

Soooooooooo true, and they DO mellow out yeah, but the "what's in for me?"
part never change.. At 8 y.o. Gaya still give me the evil eye unless I've
got treats, food, or her favorite catnip toy close by. In any other case she
ain't gonna do me any favors... Oh.. there's also another thing that will
bring her around, a chance to traumatize the dog (and traumatize is no
exageration believe me).

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

furfin
November 27th 05, 08:32 AM
I'm trying to read all your interesting responses BUT my maine coone
lookalike has been playing his cute/annoying game he invented while I'm
trying to read this. It consists of putting his paws, claws extended
just shy of damage, suddenly on my back while I'm on the computer, then
running away with his tail all puffed out and arched proudly over his
back. I am trained to give chase, which I do, even though I know this
only reinforces the somewhat annoying behavior...the cuteness gets me
every time.

furfin
November 27th 05, 09:08 AM
that was great...will have to read that! I don't have a silent miaower,
but I do get the "amnesty international meow" before dinner
sometimes...my friend who coined this term describes it as a "I'm so
weak from hunger and neglect I can barely get out this meow" sound--
I'm sure you know it too!

Phil P.
November 27th 05, 11:30 AM
"Willow" > wrote in message
. com...
> > Here's a short excerpt from the "Silent Miaow" that should give you an
> idea
> > of the cunning and intelligence you're dealing with. Its the handbook
> > written by a cat and translated directly from the feline by Paul
Gallico.
> > Its an instruction book for cats on how to take over a family:
> >
> > "There didn't seem to be any evidence of children about, or servants
> either,
> > which was all to the good. Children are all right eventually, and can be
> > handled, but it is better, if possible, to take over your family before
> they
> > arrive. And servants can give you a lot of trouble.
> >
> > This pair looked exactly like the family I wanted, so I jumped onto the
> > screen door, clung there, and cried piteously.
> >
> > They looked up at me from their breakfast. I knew exactly how I appeared
> > them from the other side of the screen door. Irresistible! I pretended
> > lose my grip on the mesh and fell off, and then climbed back up again,
> > crying all the time.
> >
> > The woman said, "Oh look! The poor little thing, it wants to come in.
> Maybe
> > it's hungry. I'll give it some milk."
> >
> > Just as I expected! I had her. All I needed was to get one paw inside
the
> > door."
>
> I love this.. hehehe

The book is hilarious! If you can find a copy, grab it! You'll treasure it
for years. The book actually sounds like it was written by cat- same
arrogant attitude lol. This is the intro to the first chapter-- you'll see
what I mean:

"When I was a very young kitten I had the misfortune to lose my mother and
find myself alone in the world at the age of six weeks. However, I was not
unduly disturbed by this, since I was intelligent, not ill-favored,
resourceful and full of confidence in myself. Also I had had the advantage
of several weeks of instruction from my mother before her unfortunate
encounter with a motorcar at night.

After a week or so of living in the country off a most revolting diet of
grubs and insects, I determined to take over a family and become a house
cat, and I set about immediately to achieve my ends.

I often discussed with friends the manner in which I attained success, and
since I am not affected with vanity, I was able to point out clearly the
extraordinary perception behind each move and the outstanding cleverness on
my part. So impressed were they with my story that they begged me to write
it down, and furthermore, perhaps codify my experiences and ideas with
regard to our relation*ship with human beings into a set of rules and
regulations for the young about to embark upon a similar career."

lol

> > Read the whole book so you'll know what you're dealing with. ;)
> >
> > Is there any chance they will mellow into lap fungus
> > > in later life?
> >
> > As cats get older, many mellow out and become more affectionate. Right
> now,
> > they're only a little older that rambunctious teenagers.
> >

> > Or was it all an evil plot to make me their slave for
> > > life, and now they can't be bothered...sniff
> > > Any advice, insights, anecdotes about you lap or non-lap kitty
> > > appreciated!
> >
> > Simple. If you want cats to do what you want all you have to do is
answer
> > the quintessential cat question: What's in it for me? lol
>
> Soooooooooo true, and they DO mellow out yeah, but the "what's in for me?"
> part never change.. At 8 y.o. Gaya still give me the evil eye unless I've
> got treats, food, or her favorite catnip toy close by.

Yep! If there's nothing in the bags for them when I come from shopping, my
cats give me such a pitiful look of disappointment that I *have to* throw a
few treats into one of the paper bags otherwise I feel guilty as hell.

In any other case
she
> ain't gonna do me any favors...

Try getting a cat's attention after she eats.... Good luck.

Oh.. there's also another thing that will
> bring her around, a chance to traumatize the dog (and traumatize is no
> exageration believe me).

Its impossible to exaggerate anything about a cat. lol

Phil

Phil P.
November 27th 05, 11:30 AM
"furfin" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> that was great...will have to read that!

You won't be able to put it down, I'm telling ya. I bought the book 40
years ago and its *still* just as funny.

I don't have a silent miaower,
> but I do get the "amnesty international meow" before dinner
> sometimes...my friend who coined this term describes it as a "I'm so
> weak from hunger and neglect I can barely get out this meow" sound--
> I'm sure you know it too!

Absolutely. I get the same kind of "How could you leave us all alone" look
when I come home- even if I was only out for a few hours. I'm telling ya,
they've got us pegged as easy marks! lol

Phil

Spot
November 27th 05, 02:06 PM
My Squeekers wasn't much of a lap cat until the last 3 years. He was more
of a newspaper or book kitty and would only come sit on my lap if I had one
of the two in my hand. He now though will come up while I'm watching TV and
settle down for a short snooze and lovings.

Celeste

"furfin" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Niether of my two cats is a lap cat, although I wanted them to be. The
> first one seemed like a shoulder kitty at the shelter when I adopted
> him at seven months...however he was shown from a cage and I was
> required to hold him so he couldn't touch the floor. The second one,
> adopted a year later did climb in my lap at the shelter when he was six
> months old, but after coming home imitated the other's independent
> streak. Now at 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 respectively the two little con artists
> are spoiled rotten and they are happy kitties. One gives nose kisses
> and the other will allow himself to be held on his back in my arms like
> a baby. I put them in my lap and give treats, but they usually jump off
> the lap immeadiately afterward. Niether gets in the lap on their own.
> Have I been had? Is there any chance they will mellow into lap fungus
> in later life? Or was it all an evil plot to make me their slave for
> life, and now they can't be bothered...sniff
> Any advice, insights, anecdotes about you lap or non-lap kitty
> appreciated!

cybercat
November 27th 05, 02:08 PM
"Phil P." > wrote

> See? They're setting you up; they know food is coming and want to make
sure
> you don't forget to give them some. lol

Yep! My Boo, since she has been on a diet, loves me up any time I go into
the kitchen. She rubbbbs up against my legs and talks to me, trills, just
about
breaks into song and dance all the while hitting me with the Overwhelming
Greeneyed Gaze where her eyes twinkle and her lashes flutter. :)
She understands English (when she wants to!) so if I am fixing
something for the people and not the cats and I say something to that
effect, she says "meh! with a desultory toss of the head and paces,
grumbling in cat "Hmp. Well isn't this just great. Everybody getting fed
but me while I waste away." She eventually stomps off in digust
but appears later when the food is ready to beg. :)