PDA

View Full Version : Can aloe vera be used on cats?

chas
November 30th 05, 04:10 PM
Just wondered.

I have occassional small patchy exzema and use pure aloe vera gel from my
local health food store to calm it down. I notice a lot of posts here
regarding cats with skin conditions. I just wondered if it would be safe to
use on a cat?

I know aloe vera also has other uses in humans - such as to help with
digestive or bowel problems and can be taken as a capsule or a liquid.
Again, would a cat with such a problem possibly benefit from it?

chas

PawsForThought
November 30th 05, 06:33 PM
chas wrote:
> Just wondered.
>
> I have occassional small patchy exzema and use pure aloe vera gel from my
> local health food store to calm it down. I notice a lot of posts here
> regarding cats with skin conditions. I just wondered if it would be safe to
> use on a cat?
>
> I know aloe vera also has other uses in humans - such as to help with
> digestive or bowel problems and can be taken as a capsule or a liquid.
> Again, would a cat with such a problem possibly benefit from it?
>
> chas

Hi Chas,
It's the outer skin part that is toxic to cats I believe. However, the
kind of gel you are buying in the store has a preservative in it,
sodium benzoate that is poisonous to cats. I suppose you could buy an
aloe vera plant and slit a stalk open and scrape out some of the gel to
put on the cat's skin. However, since your cat will try to lick it
off, I would be concerned of him ingesting it. I would definitely
research it out more before trying it.

Lauren

No More Retail
November 30th 05, 07:11 PM
Whatever you are going to use on their fur they are going to lick off unless
you have an e-collar
I would use Vaseline or call your vet office and let them recommend a OTC
product
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> chas wrote:
>> Just wondered.
>>
>> I have occassional small patchy exzema and use pure aloe vera gel from my
>> local health food store to calm it down. I notice a lot of posts here
>> regarding cats with skin conditions. I just wondered if it would be safe
>> use on a cat?
>>
>> I know aloe vera also has other uses in humans - such as to help with
>> digestive or bowel problems and can be taken as a capsule or a liquid.
>> Again, would a cat with such a problem possibly benefit from it?
>>
>> chas
>
> Hi Chas,
> It's the outer skin part that is toxic to cats I believe. However, the
> kind of gel you are buying in the store has a preservative in it,
> sodium benzoate that is poisonous to cats. I suppose you could buy an
> aloe vera plant and slit a stalk open and scrape out some of the gel to
> put on the cat's skin. However, since your cat will try to lick it
> off, I would be concerned of him ingesting it. I would definitely
> research it out more before trying it.
>
> Lauren

Nic
November 30th 05, 08:21 PM
Vaseline has worked before on cats I know. It's a bit thicker so
doesn't get licked off easily.

chas
November 30th 05, 09:47 PM
I just wondered - fortunately my cat does not have skin problems and I would
always seek vet advice before giving her anything for anything.

I had been reading about how good aloe vera was for humans and just wondered
if that extended to animals, namely cats.

thanks for the replies.

chas