PDA

View Full Version : 3rd UPDATE (LONG!), Was: Advice Needed for Adopting Adult Cats

Lee
November 30th 05, 05:26 PM
It's been almost 6 months since I posted for advice about adopting
adult cats, and I'm overdue for an update. We adopted two adult boys
listed on Petfinders, and here's what's going on with them today.

"Smitty" (blue point siamese mix) and his brother were dumped at a
local kill shelter, and rescued by the no-kill shelter that we adopted
him from. His brother was already adopted, or we would have taken them
both together. Smitty's about 10 years old, and he weighs 20 solid
lbs. He has the biggest frame/large bone structure that I've ever seen
on a cat, and the vet says his weight is healthy for him. His chest is
so big that he looks like a bulldog from the front. In spite of his
size, he has a tiny high pitched voice, which is so unexpected and
funny. He's not as vocal as a typical meezer.

Smitty had a senior blood panel (everything looked fine), and major
teeth cleaning and extractions. The vet said that his gum disease was
so serious that his back teeth were ready to fall out on their own.
His breath had been putrid, but after the cleaning and extractions, he
is now kissing sweet.

He is the most gentle cat I've ever had, and loves to squeeze as much
of himself as possible on a lap and snooze, and is always up for a
belly rub. He doesn't mind having his claws trimmed, which I usually do
while he's snoozing on my lap, and he purrs the whole time. It breaks
my heart to think that someone could actually dump this fantastic boy,
and it makes me a little sad that I know nothing of his past - such as
his real name; that we forced him to have a new name. The shelter
folks called him "Big Daddy", and that name simply wouldn't do. He has
adjusted well to his new forever home, and is as good as can be except
for an occasional foray onto the dining room table. Sometimes, it a
hand going to pet him comes in too fast, he cringes a little, as if
he's afraid of being hit. I hate to think of what happened to him in
the past, and we are teaching him that there is no hitting and the
hands will never deliver anything but love (and food). I believe he's
learning that. His favorite thing is drinking water directly from the
spigot, so we bought him a Drinkwell fountain, which he loves.

"Alex" is a Maine Coon mix who had been at the shelter for over a year.
He was rescued from a hoarder, and is about 2 - 3 years old. Alex was
pitiful looking at the shelter. He had lost over half of his fur,
either from flea allergy and/or stress, we think. From his arms back
to his hind legs (except the feet and half his tail), he was hairless.
The skin looked clear and healthy, though. He was also in a possible
feline herpes flare, and he kept his eyes squinted and 3rd lidded. Our
vet started him on L-lysine, and within a few weeks his eyes started
looking more normal. Also, peachfuzz fur started growing in, and he
stopped looking so unwell.

Today, his coat is nearly all filled out, he has huge beautiful and
wide open green eyes, and looking at him, one would never know he had
any problems. He's a lot more high strung than Smitty and is a very
active, busy and curious boy. He loves getting into boxes and popping
out to surprise Smitty. We have cat toys all over the house, and he
plays with all of them, but the rings from milk jug lids are his
all-time favorite.

He's a large graceful boy, currently weighing in at 16 lbs and we think
he's still slowly growing. It's a joy to watch him go vertical upwards
to the top of his 5 foot tall cat tree. Alex LOVES to be petted, and
his purr is so loud that we call it his "turbo-purr." He can't be
held, though, and trimming his claws is out of the question. He
absolutely freaks out when his feet are touched. The vet trims his
claws when Alex is there for a visit, but 99% of the time he only claws
where he's supposed to, so it's a non-issue.

The boys have strongly bonded, and they are so responsive to each other
and share much mutual grooming, and often snooze nestled together, whic
is too cute for words. They have added so much joy to our lives, and I
always look forward to seeing them when I get home from work.

Thank you for your words of encouragement and support helping me decide
to adopt adult cats. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Lee

CatNipped
November 30th 05, 05:51 PM
"Lee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It's been almost 6 months since I posted for advice about adopting
> adult cats, and I'm overdue for an update. We adopted two adult boys
> listed on Petfinders, and here's what's going on with them today.
>
> "Smitty" (blue point siamese mix) and his brother were dumped at a
> local kill shelter, and rescued by the no-kill shelter that we adopted
> him from. His brother was already adopted, or we would have taken them
> both together. Smitty's about 10 years old, and he weighs 20 solid
> lbs. He has the biggest frame/large bone structure that I've ever seen
> on a cat, and the vet says his weight is healthy for him. His chest is
> so big that he looks like a bulldog from the front. In spite of his
> size, he has a tiny high pitched voice, which is so unexpected and
> funny. He's not as vocal as a typical meezer.

He sounds absolutely gorgeous - got any pics?

> Smitty had a senior blood panel (everything looked fine), and major
> teeth cleaning and extractions. The vet said that his gum disease was
> so serious that his back teeth were ready to fall out on their own.
> His breath had been putrid, but after the cleaning and extractions, he
> is now kissing sweet.

Aw, he must be so relieved to have that pain gone (having just had *TWO*
root canals done last night - and having had the drill bit break off in the
root - I can readily empathize).

> He is the most gentle cat I've ever had, and loves to squeeze as much
> of himself as possible on a lap and snooze, and is always up for a
> belly rub. He doesn't mind having his claws trimmed, which I usually do
> while he's snoozing on my lap, and he purrs the whole time. It breaks
> my heart to think that someone could actually dump this fantastic boy,
> and it makes me a little sad that I know nothing of his past - such as
> his real name; that we forced him to have a new name. The shelter
> folks called him "Big Daddy", and that name simply wouldn't do. He has
> adjusted well to his new forever home, and is as good as can be except
> for an occasional foray onto the dining room table. Sometimes, it a
> hand going to pet him comes in too fast, he cringes a little, as if
> he's afraid of being hit. I hate to think of what happened to him in
> the past, and we are teaching him that there is no hitting and the
> hands will never deliver anything but love (and food). I believe he's
> learning that. His favorite thing is drinking water directly from the
> spigot, so we bought him a Drinkwell fountain, which he loves.

Our tortoiseshell, Jessie, is the same and loves her Drinkwell, but will
still jump up every time we pass a faucet.

> "Alex" is a Maine Coon mix who had been at the shelter for over a year.
> He was rescued from a hoarder, and is about 2 - 3 years old. Alex was
> pitiful looking at the shelter. He had lost over half of his fur,
> either from flea allergy and/or stress, we think. From his arms back
> to his hind legs (except the feet and half his tail), he was hairless.
> The skin looked clear and healthy, though. He was also in a possible
> feline herpes flare, and he kept his eyes squinted and 3rd lidded. Our
> vet started him on L-lysine, and within a few weeks his eyes started
> looking more normal. Also, peachfuzz fur started growing in, and he
> stopped looking so unwell.

Yay Alex! Good job, son!!!

> Today, his coat is nearly all filled out, he has huge beautiful and
> wide open green eyes, and looking at him, one would never know he had
> any problems. He's a lot more high strung than Smitty and is a very
> active, busy and curious boy. He loves getting into boxes and popping
> out to surprise Smitty. We have cat toys all over the house, and he
> plays with all of them, but the rings from milk jug lids are his
> all-time favorite.

Yep, mine love those free toys a lot better than the expensive ones we buy
them.

> He's a large graceful boy, currently weighing in at 16 lbs and we think
> he's still slowly growing. It's a joy to watch him go vertical upwards
> to the top of his 5 foot tall cat tree. Alex LOVES to be petted, and
> his purr is so loud that we call it his "turbo-purr." He can't be
> held, though, and trimming his claws is out of the question. He
> absolutely freaks out when his feet are touched. The vet trims his
> claws when Alex is there for a visit, but 99% of the time he only claws
> where he's supposed to, so it's a non-issue.
>
> The boys have strongly bonded, and they are so responsive to each other
> and share much mutual grooming, and often snooze nestled together, whic
> is too cute for words. They have added so much joy to our lives, and I
> always look forward to seeing them when I get home from work.
>
> Thank you for your words of encouragement and support helping me decide
> to adopt adult cats. I would do this again in a heartbeat.
>
> Lee

Thank *YOU*, Lee, for rescuing these two lost boys!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Gail
November 30th 05, 06:45 PM
How wonderful you are to adopt adult cats!! I am so glad they are doing
well!!
Gail
"Lee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> he's still slowly growing. It's a joy to watch him go vertical upwards
> to the top of his 5 foot tall cat tree. Alex LOVES to be petted, and
> his purr is so loud that we call it his "turbo-purr." He can't be
> held, though, and trimming his claws is out of the question. He
> absolutely freaks out when his feet are touched. The vet trims his
> claws when Alex is there for a visit, but 99% of the time he only claws
> where he's supposed to, so it's a non-issue.
>
> The boys have strongly bonded, and they are so responsive to each other
> and share much mutual grooming, and often snooze nestled together, whic
> is too cute for words. They have added so much joy to our lives, and I
> always look forward to seeing them when I get home from work.
>
> Thank you for your words of encouragement and support helping me decide
> to adopt adult cats. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Lee
December 1st 05, 02:41 AM
CatNipped wrote:
> "Lee" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > It's been almost 6 months since I posted for advice about adopting
> > adult cats, and I'm overdue for an update. We adopted two adult boys
> > listed on Petfinders, and here's what's going on with them today.

He sounds absolutely gorgeous - got any pics?

Why, yes, I do! Threw this together; it may take awhile for the pics
to load...

http://snipurl.com/kdpl

Lee

Gail
December 1st 05, 03:15 AM
They are gorgeous!!
Gail
"Lee" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> CatNipped wrote:
>> "Lee" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > It's been almost 6 months since I posted for advice about adopting
>> > adult cats, and I'm overdue for an update. We adopted two adult boys
>> > listed on Petfinders, and here's what's going on with them today.
>
> He sounds absolutely gorgeous - got any pics?
>>
> Why, yes, I do! Threw this together; it may take awhile for the pics
> to load...
>
> http://snipurl.com/kdpl
>
> Lee

CatNipped
December 1st 05, 03:40 AM
"Lee" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> CatNipped wrote:
> > "Lee" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > It's been almost 6 months since I posted for advice about adopting
> > > adult cats, and I'm overdue for an update. We adopted two adult boys
> > > listed on Petfinders, and here's what's going on with them today.
>
> He sounds absolutely gorgeous - got any pics?
> >
> Why, yes, I do! Threw this together; it may take awhile for the pics
> to load...
>
> http://snipurl.com/kdpl
>
> Lee

Ohmygawd!!! And I thought Sammy was big! They're absolutely, positively
*GORGEOUS*!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Lee
December 2nd 05, 05:30 PM
CatNipped wrote:
>Ohmygawd!!! And I thought Sammy was big! They're absolutely, positively
>*GORGEOUS*!

Thank you! Smitty is *huge*. When he delivers a head-butt, you know
it!

Kitkat
December 3rd 05, 05:14 AM
Lee wrote:
> CatNipped wrote:
>
>>"Lee" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>>>It's been almost 6 months since I posted for advice about adopting
>>>adult cats, and I'm overdue for an update. We adopted two adult boys
>>>listed on Petfinders, and here's what's going on with them today.

> He sounds absolutely gorgeous - got any pics?
>
> Why, yes, I do! Threw this together; it may take awhile for the pics
> to load...
>
> http://snipurl.com/kdpl
>
> Lee

Rhonda
December 3rd 05, 06:41 AM
What lucky cats! That's great that you adopted 2 of them, and that
they've turned out to be such buddies. I love those pictures of them
being sweet to each other.

They are absolutely gorgeous. Just gorgeous. That shot of Alex curled up
in the cat bed -- that's the picture of cat-luxury.

Thanks for the happy update.

Rhonda