PDA

View Full Version : A cat's eating behavior...

Jessica M.
December 1st 05, 12:22 AM
Hi there! Long-time lurker finally asking a question! :-)

I have two adult cats I feed wet food twice daily, once in the morning
and once in the evening. Cat #1 will eat her fill when I put the bowl
down, but cat #2 will keep going back until she literally licks the
bowl clean. I've even caught #2 licking an empty bowl, trying to loose
whatever wee nuggets of hardened food she can.

Why does #2 behave like this? She's like a horse in that she'd eat to
death if the bowl was forever full of food.

"Typically" (and I put the word in quotation marks) when is a cat's
hunger sated? After her initial trip to the bowl?

THX!!!

5cats
December 1st 05, 01:27 AM
Jessica M. wrote:

> Hi there! Long-time lurker finally asking a question! :-)
>
> I have two adult cats I feed wet food twice daily, once in the morning
> and once in the evening. Cat #1 will eat her fill when I put the bowl
> down, but cat #2 will keep going back until she literally licks the
> bowl clean. I've even caught #2 licking an empty bowl, trying to loose
> whatever wee nuggets of hardened food she can.
>
> Why does #2 behave like this? She's like a horse in that she'd eat to
> death if the bowl was forever full of food.
>
> "Typically" (and I put the word in quotation marks) when is a cat's
> hunger sated? After her initial trip to the bowl?

None of mine are ever satisfied with one serving. They always take a
break and come back in 5 or 10 minutes for a second helping.

chas
December 1st 05, 06:06 PM
I understand cats like to 'graze' as in coming back to the bowl regularly
for a nibble.

My cat seems to be fed several times a day when I am here - but on work days
she will sleep through, even when the battery operated dish activates to
open up the next segment.

It's probaby just that one of your cats has a larger appetite than the other
and maybe she could do with a bigger serving?

Or else she's just making sure the other cat did not get something
different!

chas

Willow
December 3rd 05, 02:18 AM
I had two cats and Belkira would just eat everything and anything in sight..
he was always like that.

Gaya WAS a grazer until she finaly (after a long time) realized that if she
didn't eat quick, Belki would steal her share.

Now that Belki is gone. Gaya is putting on weight cause she gets to eat all
her food (and she doesn't have a 20lbs kitty to play with anymore).. I feed
her the exact same amount and she gained nearly 4 lbs in a year. We're
cutting down gradually.. and she's loosing slowly and nicely.

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.