PDA

View Full Version : How do cats behave with Spiders and Snakes?


nospam
December 1st 05, 04:02 AM
Hello friends, I am moving to Arizona and want to hear your experiences on
the following:

1. How to pest-proof the home against black widows, scorpions and snakes.
2. How do cats react when they see these creatures? Attack? Run?
3. Any other precautions/advice.

Many thanks for your help.
al

December 1st 05, 04:27 AM
nospam wrote:
> Hello friends, I am moving to Arizona and want to hear your experiences on
> the following:
>
> 1. How to pest-proof the home against black widows, scorpions and snakes.
> 2. How do cats react when they see these creatures? Attack? Run?
> 3. Any other precautions/advice.
>
> Many thanks for your help.
> al

No, cats don't run from snakes or spiders. It's just prey to them. It's
up to you to protect them from the poisonous ones; they don't know the
difference.

whitershadeofpale
December 1st 05, 04:50 AM
nospam wrote:
> Hello friends, I am moving to Arizona and want to hear your experiences on
> the following:
>
> 1. How to pest-proof the home against black widows, scorpions and snakes.
> 2. How do cats react when they see these creatures? Attack? Run?
> 3. Any other precautions/advice.
>
> Many thanks for your help.
> al

You can spread sulpher around outside of house to keep snakes out.

I'd spray inside of house, but along exterior walls at
baseboard...sorta keep them under the house...and then bomb under the
house.

I have no clue about scorpions.

claudel
December 1st 05, 05:00 AM
In article om>,
whitershadeofpale > wrote:
>
>nospam wrote:
>> Hello friends, I am moving to Arizona and want to hear your experiences on
>> the following:
>>
>> 1. How to pest-proof the home against black widows, scorpions and snakes.
>> 2. How do cats react when they see these creatures? Attack? Run?
>> 3. Any other precautions/advice.
>>
>> Many thanks for your help.
>> al
>
>You can spread sulpher around outside of house to keep snakes out.
>
>I'd spray inside of house, but along exterior walls at
>baseboard...sorta keep them under the house...and then bomb under the
>house.
>
>I have no clue about scorpions.
>

In my part of the desert, scorpions tend to live under things.

Be careful with sprays, sometimes they can be worse than the sprayees...


Keep your area free of food and habitat for rodents, because
they are the snake's buffet. No rodents, snakes will go elsewhere.

Claude

Steve Crane
December 1st 05, 04:40 PM
nospam wrote:
> Hello friends, I am moving to Arizona and want to hear your experiences on
> the following:
>
> 1. How to pest-proof the home against black widows, scorpions and snakes.
> 2. How do cats react when they see these creatures? Attack? Run?
> 3. Any other precautions/advice.
>
> Many thanks for your help.
> al

LOL - brings back some old memories. We used to always keep cats around
the farm to help with the rattlesnake population. Our cats would corner
a snake and then sit back and yowl loud enough to hear halfway across
the farm. You got to a point where you recognized that distinctive yowl
and grabbed the shovel or hoe to go decapitate a rattlesnake. We had
one cat whose name I can't remember that was a long haired smoky gray
cat, she was the best rattlesnake hunter we ever had.

December 2nd 05, 05:36 AM
claudel wrote:
>
> Be careful with sprays, sometimes they can be worse than the sprayees...
>
>
> Keep your area free of food and habitat for rodents, because
> they are the snake's buffet. No rodents, snakes will go elsewhere.
>
> Claude

Good advice. Another thing that will help is to keep your lawn very
short and don't offer them shrubbery or other cool, shady places to get
next to the house. There's a product called "Snake-Away" that you
sprinkle to create a boundary around your yard that (allegedly) snakes
won't cross. I don't know whether it works. It smells like mothballs.
Incidentally, it might be good for the OP to brush up on identifying
poisonous snakes.

Sherry

jmc
December 2nd 05, 05:03 PM
Suddenly, without warning, nospam exclaimed (01-Dec-05 4:02 AM):
> Hello friends, I am moving to Arizona and want to hear your experiences on
> the following:
>
> 1. How to pest-proof the home against black widows, scorpions and snakes.
> 2. How do cats react when they see these creatures? Attack? Run?
> 3. Any other precautions/advice.
>
> Many thanks for your help.
> al
>
>
Meep has lived in Australia, where everything is either poisonous or
pointy. If she came across any snakes, she hasn't told us about them,
but she's never been bit by the myriad of poisonous spiders, like
redbacks, the Aussie black widow. I'd heard that cats are much more
sensible about snakes than dogs are, and rarely get bit even if they do
have an encounter.

There's really no way to completely pest-proof your home, but there are
some types of Black Flag that you can spray around door and window
frames, and it's supposed to kill anything that crosses for a couple of
weeks. This worked well to keep the Aussie ants (pernicious things!)
out, and seemed to keep the arachnid population down as well.

Meep has a rule about spiders: If they're under about an inch and a
half, they're a toy. If they're bigger than that (some were MUCH
bigger), they're simply entertainment - something to watch, but not
touch. Which is how we knew when there was a big'un in the house, she'd
be intensely staring in some corner, or under the fridge. Shouldn't use
past tense though, there's some suprisingly good sized spiders that
wander through our house here on a regular basis as well.

As another poster said, keep the rodents away and the snakes shouldn't
bother you. Just never stick a limb into a dark space - woodpile, dark
shelf, shoes, etc - without checking it for creepycrawlies first.

jmc

ANTHONY DIODATI
December 4th 05, 02:30 AM
"Steve Crane" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> nospam wrote:
> > Hello friends, I am moving to Arizona and want to hear your experiences
on
> > the following:
> >
> > 1. How to pest-proof the home against black widows, scorpions and
snakes.
> > 2. How do cats react when they see these creatures? Attack? Run?
> > 3. Any other precautions/advice.
> >
> > Many thanks for your help.
> > al
>
> LOL - brings back some old memories. We used to always keep cats around
> the farm to help with the rattlesnake population. Our cats would corner
> a snake and then sit back and yowl loud enough to hear halfway across
> the farm. You got to a point where you recognized that distinctive yowl
> and grabbed the shovel or hoe to go decapitate a rattlesnake. We had
> one cat whose name I can't remember that was a long haired smoky gray
> cat, she was the best rattlesnake hunter we ever had.

Funny They(the cats) never got bit.
thanks, Tony D.

Spot
December 4th 05, 11:12 PM
Lime works just as well. Snakes won't cross it because it burns their skin.

Celeste

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> claudel wrote:
>>
>> Be careful with sprays, sometimes they can be worse than the sprayees...
>>
>>
>> Keep your area free of food and habitat for rodents, because
>> they are the snake's buffet. No rodents, snakes will go elsewhere.
>>
>> Claude
>
> Good advice. Another thing that will help is to keep your lawn very
> short and don't offer them shrubbery or other cool, shady places to get
> next to the house. There's a product called "Snake-Away" that you
> sprinkle to create a boundary around your yard that (allegedly) snakes
> won't cross. I don't know whether it works. It smells like mothballs.
> Incidentally, it might be good for the OP to brush up on identifying
> poisonous snakes.
>
> Sherry
>