PDA

View Full Version : update - interstitial cystitis

Tish
December 2nd 05, 12:53 AM
Hi All,

History: about 3 weeks ago our 3 year old neutered DSH cat had a
urinary blockage, which was quickly cleared, but resulted in on-going
problems with bladder irritation and thickening of the bladder wall.

Well, it's kinda good news. Spock had a sterile urine sample taken
earlier this week (putting a needle directly into the bladder) and
cultured for pathogenic (harmful) bacteria. The results are that he
has no bacteria in his urine and neither does he have any more
crystals. This means that if there was an infection, it's now gone.
It also means that the s/d diet he's (temporarily) on has done its job
and removed the styruvite crytals.

His bladder wall is still a bit inflamed, so his bladder is smaller
than average and he still has to "go" more often than normal, but it is
much better than it was, so he is no longer making mistakes outside the
litter boxes. I have taken him off all his medication (dantrolene and
metacam) and he's doing fine (thank goodness!).

The vet recommends he stays on c/d diet for several more weeks so that
things can really settle down and so that he can fully recover, after
which we will keep him on a wet diet and watch him carefully. I spoke
to the vet about using arthritis medicaiton and he said that it is not
commonly used, but in Spock's case it might well be worth doing if this
problem is not fixed with diet.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.
Tish

Gail
December 2nd 05, 01:06 AM
My cat has a history of crystals (he's 2 and 1/2) and will stay on c/d for
life. He also takes Albeta once daily to accidify his urine.
Gail
link.net...