PDA

View Full Version : cat peeing on couch

December 2nd 05, 12:23 AM
I have a cat that just started peeing, 3 times now, on a leather couch
of mine. I've cleaned it with stuff from the store that is supposed to
take the smell away, but she peed there again. I'm not sure what else
to do to stop it, maybe nothing.
Actually it is my friends cat who I just moved in with, along with my
cat and my leather couch, whcih was purchased from someone else who
owned a cat, so I wonder if another cat peed on the couch and now she
smells it. We do have 2 litter boxes. The cats seem to get along and we
introduced them properly, although since it's her place really, she
might be a bit posessive, but she's never been this way in the past,
with other cats, or for that matter went outside of the box for any
reason, so it's hard to tell why she's doing this now.
Any advice?

December 2nd 05, 01:07 AM
One thing to do is try Anti Icy Poo (mister max, online) to clean the
scent out. It is amazing stuff. Cover the couch in something
waterproof for now (like a big shower curtain) and then top that with a
blanket or something. Maybe put a litter right near the couch too. HTH

Gail
December 2nd 05, 01:08 AM
She needs to be seen by a vet to determine if she has a urinary tract
infection. The stress of moving could have precipitated one.
Gail
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a cat that just started peeing, 3 times now, on a leather couch
> of mine. I've cleaned it with stuff from the store that is supposed to
> take the smell away, but she peed there again. I'm not sure what else
> to do to stop it, maybe nothing.
> Actually it is my friends cat who I just moved in with, along with my
> cat and my leather couch, whcih was purchased from someone else who
> owned a cat, so I wonder if another cat peed on the couch and now she
> smells it. We do have 2 litter boxes. The cats seem to get along and we
> introduced them properly, although since it's her place really, she
> might be a bit posessive, but she's never been this way in the past,
> with other cats, or for that matter went outside of the box for any
> reason, so it's hard to tell why she's doing this now.
> Any advice?

December 2nd 05, 01:08 AM
I meant "anti icky poo"

Rhonda
December 2nd 05, 01:43 AM
I second that motion! Our cat just got through a bladder infection. His
first symptom was peeing on the couch.

Rhonda

Gail wrote:

> She needs to be seen by a vet to determine if she has a urinary tract
> infection. The stress of moving could have precipitated one.
> Gail

whitershadeofpale
December 2nd 05, 04:31 AM
wrote:
> I have a cat that just started peeing, 3 times now, on a leather couch
> of mine. I've cleaned it with stuff from the store that is supposed to
> outside of the box for any
> reason, so it's hard to tell why she's doing this now.
> Any advice?

throw a glass of cold water on him
tell him NO!

repeat until the desired results are achieved.

Hey! worked for me when a dog would not
stop barking for no appareant reason.

splash! it never happened again.

whitershadeofpale
December 2nd 05, 04:33 AM
wrote:
> I have a cat that just started peeing, 3 times now, on a leather couch
> of the box for any
> reason, so it's hard to tell why she's doing this now.
> Any advice?

of course, maybe he's trying to get your attention
maybe his wee wee burns.

December 2nd 05, 11:58 AM
wrote:
> I have a cat that just started peeing, 3 times now, on a leather couch
> of mine. I've cleaned it with stuff from the store that is supposed to
> take the smell away, but she peed there again. I'm not sure what else
> to do to stop it, maybe nothing.
> Actually it is my friends cat who I just moved in with, along with my
> cat and my leather couch, whcih was purchased from someone else who
> owned a cat, so I wonder if another cat peed on the couch and now she
> smells it. We do have 2 litter boxes. The cats seem to get along and we
> introduced them properly, although since it's her place really, she
> might be a bit posessive, but she's never been this way in the past,
> with other cats, or for that matter went outside of the box for any
> reason, so it's hard to tell why she's doing this now.
> Any advice?

Maybe it's the leather? I have a 8 year old female that has no urinary
tract issues that does this very same thing to indicate to me she is
not likin something. I use the Store bought enzyme deodorizer as well,
I pour 1/2 gallon into a watering can and water the crap out of the
couch. For the moment, I am using double stick tape to keep her off
the couch when we are not home, since doing it when I am home earns her
a time out in the 'cat room'. A hassle, yes. I'm hoping eventually
she'll get the message and knock it off.

December 2nd 05, 08:10 PM
Well she's done it maybe 3 times in 2 weeks, so she's also used the
box. I just can't tell what the reason is - upset about something (new
cat, new food, something else), medical issue (but she seems fine
otherwise), or smelling another cat, maybe even one who peed on the
couch before and now she's trying to reclaim it or something. We went
back from 1 cat box to 2, and cleaned the couch again, I suppose we
should take in for an appointment next.

> > I have a cat that just started peeing, 3 times now, on a leather couch
> > of mine. I've cleaned it with stuff from the store that is supposed to
> > take the smell away, but she peed there again. I'm not sure what else
> > to do to stop it, maybe nothing.
> > Actually it is my friends cat who I just moved in with, along with my
> > cat and my leather couch, whcih was purchased from someone else who
> > owned a cat, so I wonder if another cat peed on the couch and now she
> > smells it. We do have 2 litter boxes. The cats seem to get along and we
> > introduced them properly, although since it's her place really, she
> > might be a bit posessive, but she's never been this way in the past,
> > with other cats, or for that matter went outside of the box for any
> > reason, so it's hard to tell why she's doing this now.
> > Any advice?
>
> Maybe it's the leather? I have a 8 year old female that has no urinary
> tract issues that does this very same thing to indicate to me she is
> not likin something. I use the Store bought enzyme deodorizer as well,
> I pour 1/2 gallon into a watering can and water the crap out of the
> couch. For the moment, I am using double stick tape to keep her off
> the couch when we are not home, since doing it when I am home earns her
> a time out in the 'cat room'. A hassle, yes. I'm hoping eventually
> she'll get the message and knock it off.

Rebecca Root
December 3rd 05, 03:45 AM
On 2005-12-01 17:23:28 -0700, said:

> I have a cat that just started peeing, 3 times now, on a leather couch
> of mine. I've cleaned it with stuff from the store that is supposed to
> take the smell away, but she peed there again. I'm not sure what else
> to do to stop it, maybe nothing.

> 8>< snip, snip

> Any advice?

I've had this issue with one of mine on a non-leather couch and had to
get rid of the couch :-(
I now have a futon with a water proof cover under the washable
outer-cover. He's only nailed the new one once in 6-months, when I had
a late meeting one night - seems to be stressed related. Riley reacts
well to "NO" but I needed a way to keep him off when I'm not home, so I
use a long sheet of aluminum foil that I lay on the couch along where
the seat meets the back. I put it there whenever no one's home and at
night. It works, but looks a little goofy.

Elizabeth Blake
December 4th 05, 02:03 AM
"Rebecca Root" > wrote in message
news:2005120220452516807%[email protected]

> I've had this issue with one of mine on a non-leather couch and had to get
> rid of the couch :-(
> I now have a futon with a water proof cover under the washable
> outer-cover. He's only nailed the new one once in 6-months, when I had a
> late meeting one night - seems to be stressed related. Riley reacts well
> to "NO" but I needed a way to keep him off when I'm not home, so I use a
> long sheet of aluminum foil that I lay on the couch along where the seat
> meets the back. I put it there whenever no one's home and at night. It
> works, but looks a little goofy.

My cat Tiger, who is 15 1/2 years old, recently got my futon. She's always
had peeing issues. Her entire life, she would pee only once a day. Vets
have told me that there was nothing really wrong with that. When she does
pee, she prodices a lot of urine, since she's saved it up for 24 hours or
more. When she was 4-5 years old, she started peeing all over the place at
work (she used to be a bookstore cat). The vet checked everything and
couldn't find anything physically wrong with her, no infection, nothing. He
said it was behavioral. The bookstore location closed in 1996, and she
moved on to a new office (same company) with me. No pee problems there for
the two years at that location. I then moved into a new apartment and took
her home. In just a couple of days she peed on my bed, while I was still
sleeping in it! I used tons of Nature's Miracle and the mattress dried out
and I covered it in a plastic waterproof cover. She would pee in the bed
off & on after that, 2-4 times a year, but at least I could just throw the
blankets in the washing machine. She has also peed on dirty laundry left on
the floor and bath mats.

Since she only pees once a day, I finally realized that I should schedule
her litterbox visits so I'd know when she had urinated, and when it would be
safe to leave my bedroom door open. That worked great, but then I'd
occasionally forget one night and she'd pee in my bedroom. I went away for
a few days in October, and my regular catsitter came. We used to work
together, so he's known Tiger as long as I have. When I got back I found
that she peed on a carper runner in my apartment's hallway entrance. Rolled
it up, threw it away. She also peed on a bath mat I foolishly left on the
bathroom floor. Went away again for Thankgiving, 3 days, and returned to
discover that she peed on my futon. I was always grateful that she stuck to
my bedroom or bathroom, but I should have known she'd move on eventually. I
poured 2 quarts of Nature's Miracle on it and dried it out. It's covered in
plastic right now. I can't afford a new futon yet, so I'll have to try to
live with it. I have nothing else to sit on in my living room! Several
days ago, she then peed in *her* bed. It's a Petmate Durabed, and I had a
thick fleece pad in it as well as 2 flannel shirts. I washed those, then
she peed on the fleece pad and was sleeping on it.

She's got a vet appointment tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon. I'm actually
hoping there's a medical reason for this, because if it's behavioral I don't
know what I'm going to do. I can't afford to keep throwing stuff out and
I'm exhausted at night. I don't want to come home from work and have to do
laundry every night (don't even have my own machine). She's spent the last
three days locked in the bathroom while I'm at work. The first day is when
she peed on her fleece pad. Yesterday & today I put her carrier in the
bathroom and she peed in the box both days. If her problems do turn out to
be behavior issues, she's going to be spending a lot of time in the
bathroom. My apartment is gross and I'm embarrassed to let anyone in. I
don't think she's incontinent, because she's still just going once a day.

--
Liz

December 6th 05, 11:55 PM
I hope all goes well with that. What can ya do. If only they would talk
to us.