PDA

View Full Version : Wow my cat figured out how to open doors

December 3rd 05, 06:27 AM
Pretty amazing. I never trained him to open doors but I did notice that
he kept watching me open the room doors then one day I was watching TV
in the livingroom and I hear a door creaking open. I thought it was a
burglar until I saw a sillouette of a cat running to the kitchen
cupboard (where the food is stored), I did not belive it was possible
so I figured maybe the door was left ajar.

Well today I was in the room and saw him do it. He stands as tall as
possible and pulls down on the lever and slightly pulls back to get the
door ajar (the doors open by pulling back not pushing) then when the
door is ajar he sticks his paw underneath the door and pulls it open!

To prevent him from doing this I put some tape on the lever so that
pulling down would not work only pushing up. For a while it worked fine
until he figured out that breaking the tape (by jumping and tearing it
with his claws) and then using the lever again. I had to remove the
lock and will be buying a regular doorknob. Although I left the lever
doorknob in the office (I plan to videotape this)

Now he also knows how to open cupboard doors also after trial and error
experimentation.

Is this normal? Are all cats this smart? My dogs are totally dumb
compared to the cat.

No More Retail
December 3rd 05, 07:35 AM
Well they say dogs have masters cats have servants.

My furballs have learned how to open child proof locks and cabinets. I
would be afraid and love to see what would happen if they could talk. :-)
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Pretty amazing. I never trained him to open doors but I did notice that
> he kept watching me open the room doors then one day I was watching TV
> in the livingroom and I hear a door creaking open. I thought it was a
> burglar until I saw a sillouette of a cat running to the kitchen
> cupboard (where the food is stored), I did not belive it was possible
> so I figured maybe the door was left ajar.
>
> Well today I was in the room and saw him do it. He stands as tall as
> possible and pulls down on the lever and slightly pulls back to get the
> door ajar (the doors open by pulling back not pushing) then when the
> door is ajar he sticks his paw underneath the door and pulls it open!
>
> To prevent him from doing this I put some tape on the lever so that
> pulling down would not work only pushing up. For a while it worked fine
> until he figured out that breaking the tape (by jumping and tearing it
> with his claws) and then using the lever again. I had to remove the
> lock and will be buying a regular doorknob. Although I left the lever
> doorknob in the office (I plan to videotape this)
>
> Now he also knows how to open cupboard doors also after trial and error
> experimentation.
>
> Is this normal? Are all cats this smart? My dogs are totally dumb
> compared to the cat.

whayface
December 3rd 05, 02:27 PM
On 2 Dec 2005 22:27:20 -0800, wrote:

>Pretty amazing. I never trained him to open doors but I did notice that
>he kept watching me open the room doors then one day I was watching TV
>in the livingroom and I hear a door creaking open. I thought it was a
>burglar until I saw a sillouette of a cat running to the kitchen
>cupboard (where the food is stored), I did not belive it was possible
>so I figured maybe the door was left ajar.
>
>Well today I was in the room and saw him do it. He stands as tall as
>possible and pulls down on the lever and slightly pulls back to get the
>door ajar (the doors open by pulling back not pushing) then when the
>door is ajar he sticks his paw underneath the door and pulls it open!
>
>To prevent him from doing this I put some tape on the lever so that
>pulling down would not work only pushing up. For a while it worked fine
>until he figured out that breaking the tape (by jumping and tearing it
>with his claws) and then using the lever again. I had to remove the
>lock and will be buying a regular doorknob. Although I left the lever
>doorknob in the office (I plan to videotape this)

That is not very nice. After all the cat went through to learn this just to have the
knobs changed!!! :-(

December 3rd 05, 05:58 PM
Actually only the bedroom knob has changed. Its too much fun watching
him opening doors to switch the rest.

the wharf rat
December 9th 05, 10:30 PM
In article . com>,
> wrote:
>Is this normal? Are all cats this smart? My dogs are totally dumb
>compared to the cat.

I used to have a cat who would open doors by hanging from the
knob by both paws and swinging back and forth.

Jeffrey Kaplan
December 10th 05, 02:19 AM
It is alleged that No More Retail claimed:

> Well they say dogs have masters cats have servants.
>
> My furballs have learned how to open child proof locks and cabinets. I
> would be afraid and love to see what would happen if they could talk. :-)

If cats had opposable thumbs, we'd be their pets.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"No... no I have an obligation to honor my fathers name." "And how
have you chosen to honor that name? What is there left for Narn if all
of creation falls around us? There is nothing. No hope, no dream, no
future, no life. Unless we turn from the cycle of death towards
something greater. If we are a dying people, then let us die with
honor by helping the others as no one else can." (G'Kar and G'Kar's
Father(Kosh)(in G'Kar's head), B5 "Dust To Dust")