PDA

View Full Version : Ping Phil P. Results

Paul O.
December 3rd 05, 04:38 PM
Got the test results in the mail. Here are some specifics:
Blood
Total Protein 7.4
BUN 30
Creatine 2.3
BUN/Creatine ratio 13
Phosp. 3.7

Urinalysis
Specific gravity 1.017
Ph 8.0(High)

The vet included a note stating "Results unremarkable, no evidence of CRF.
Change diet to lose weight".

The cat is a Maine Coon, male, nuetered, approx. 6 yrs old. And weighed 18.2
lbs.

Now for the fun part. Looking between the chart at sugarcat.com and
katkarma, I can't make much sense of them. Seems the SD Senior, might be ok.
What range of Phos. should I be looking at when it is listed "per kcal'?

--
Paul O.

Phil P.
December 5th 05, 11:07 AM
"Paul O." > wrote in message
m...
> Got the test results in the mail. Here are some specifics:
> Blood
> Total Protein 7.4
> BUN 30
> Creatine 2.3
> BUN/Creatine ratio 13
> Phosp. 3.7
>
> Urinalysis
> Specific gravity 1.017

USG 1.017 is very dilute- should be >1.035-1.050. Is this a typo?

> Ph 8.0(High)
>
> The vet included a note stating "Results unremarkable, no evidence of CRF.
> Change diet to lose weight".

If the USG is correct, I think you should seek a second opinion.

> The cat is a Maine Coon, male, nuetered, approx. 6 yrs old. And weighed
18.2
> lbs.
>
> Now for the fun part. Looking between the chart at sugarcat.com and
> katkarma, I can't make much sense of them. Seems the SD Senior, might be
ok.
> What range of Phos. should I be looking at when it is listed "per kcal'?

About 160-175 mg/100 kcals

Phil

Paul O.
December 5th 05, 11:31 AM
nk.net...

--
Paul O.

J. Martin
December 5th 05, 12:05 PM
"Paul O." > wrote in message
m...
> Got the test results in the mail. Here are some specifics:
> Blood
> Total Protein 7.4
> BUN 30
> Creatine 2.3
> BUN/Creatine ratio 13
> Phosp. 3.7
>
> Urinalysis
> Specific gravity 1.017
> Ph 8.0(High)
>
> The vet included a note stating "Results unremarkable, no evidence of CRF.

The urine is more dilute (low specific gravity) than you would expect for a
cat with normal kidney function. In general BUN and Creatinine don't
increase beyond normal range until about 2/3's of kidney function is lost
but loss of urine concentrating ability occurs earlier in the process. Thus
there is some evidence of early kidney disease, especially given previous
elevated creatinine levels. The next issue to resolve is how quickly it is
progressing, if present at all. To establish that you should have his blood
and urine rechecked in 3-6 months. I wouldn't recommend a "kidney diet" at
this stage.

J.

Paul O.
December 5th 05, 11:47 PM

--
Paul O.

Phil P.
December 6th 05, 06:00 AM
"Paul O." > wrote in message
et...

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> >
> > "Paul O." > wrote in message
> > m...
> >> Got the test results in the mail. Here are some specifics:
> >> Blood
> >> Total Protein 7.4
> >> BUN 30
> >> Creatine 2.3
> >> BUN/Creatine ratio 13
> >> Phosp. 3.7
> >>
> >> Urinalysis
> >> Specific gravity 1.017
> >

> > USG 1.017 is very dilute- should be >1.035-1.050. Is this a typo?
> >

> >> Ph 8.0(High)
> >>
> >> The vet included a note stating "Results unremarkable, no evidence of
> >> CRF.
> >> Change diet to lose weight".
> >

> > If the USG is correct, I think you should seek a second opinion.
> >

> > Phil
> >

> >The paper work shows a reference range of 1.015 - 1.060. Don't know if he
> >made a typo or not. Ye Gads, this was my second opinion.

1.017 is very dilute and suggestive of CRF. Have you checked his T4 levels?
Mild hyperthyroidism
can mask underlying CRF by artificially lowering BUN/creatinine. When you
get his T4 levels checked, order a free T4 by equilibrium dialysis along
with it (about another $20) in case he has some other disease process going
on that might falsely lower T4 levels. FT4ED isn't affected by other
diseases because the blood sample is dialyzed before its assayed.

The only possibility I can think of that might lower his USG is fluid
therapy and dieresis. Did he receive fluid therapy prior to the urine
sample? Do you know if the vet used a dipstick or refractometer to
determine USG? Dipsticks are notoriously inaccurate for feline USG.

Phil

whitershadeofpale
December 6th 05, 07:11 AM
Phil P. wrote:

> The only possibility I can think of that might lower his USG is fluid
> therapy and dieresis. Did he receive fluid therapy prior to the urine
> sample? Do you know if the vet used a dipstick or refractometer to
> determine USG? Dipsticks are notoriously inaccurate for feline USG.
>
> Phil

you're just as busy as a three peckered goat over here ain't ya!
hehehe

Paul O.
December 7th 05, 12:53 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
k.net...

> "Paul O." > wrote in message
> et...
>>
>> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>> nk.net...
>> >
>> > "Paul O." > wrote in message
>> > m...
> therapy and dieresis. Did he receive fluid therapy prior to the urine
> sample? Do you know if the vet used a dipstick or refractometer to
> determine USG? Dipsticks are notoriously inaccurate for feline USG.
>
> Phil

On the most recent of the tests there was no fluid therapy and the vet sent
out the samples to a lab and I don't know what they used to determine the
USG.
The first lab work done by our regular vet did include some fluid therapy,
but don't know if that was before or after samples were drawn.
--
Paul O.

Paul O.
December 7th 05, 01:00 AM
By the way, am changing his diet to Iams, and Science diet, and he seems to
like it. According to the Katkarma and Sugar cats site, it seems it is lower
in Phos, than The Nutro that I was feeding and a lot of others.
--
Paul O.