PDA

View Full Version : Exercise for Indoor Cats?


claudel
December 3rd 05, 05:54 PM
Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?

Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
exercise?


Bubba's getting to be a bit of a fatass at 22Lbs and
reducing his food only seems to go so far, plus it
ruins his normally sunny disposition when the food
dish goes empty.

TIA

CLaude

John Doe
December 3rd 05, 06:37 PM
(claudel) wrote:

> Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?

That is a neat idea, IMO.

I guess in-line skating is out of the question.

>
> Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
> exercise?

I guess it depends on how fat and lazy the boss is. Currently, I
have four 8' carpeted 2x4s in my room. Two of them are like
bleachers about 5 and 6 feet above the floor in front of three large
windows. One of them leans up against those so the cats can most
easily climb up there. Another 8' carpeted 2x4 goes from the
bleachers over to my computer stand which is an arch made of two by
force for holding my beautiful 19 inch monitor above me while I lie
down using the computer. I bumped my head yesterday, but I'm smart
enough, I can learn to duck. And there's nothing wrong with me
getting a little exercise too. Besides walking around the room on
them, the cats also jump to various places from those carpeted 2x4s.

In my opinion, the best way to carpet 2x4s is to buy the 2x4s, the
carpet, and a staple gun, and just do it. Trying to keep the staples
from hurting the cats claw is important, but the efficiency of using
the staple gun (it's really easy that way) means you can get it
done.

>
> Bubba's getting to be a bit of a fatass at 22Lbs and
> reducing his food only seems to go so far, plus it
> ruins his normally sunny disposition when the food
> dish goes empty.

You can trim a few pounds off of him the easy way. Carpet one 8'
carpeted 2x4 and lean it up against something where the dry food
goes. That way, he won't eat every time you turn around. And when he
does eat, he will have to get a tiny amount of exercise for it.

Good luck.

claudel
December 3rd 05, 06:42 PM
In article t>,
Diane > wrote:
>In article >,
> (claudel) wrote:
>
>> Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
>> exercise?
>
>I use a laser light, and of course Da Bird, both of which remain popular
>when Himself is in the right mood. Also highly entertaining for Da Human.

Bubba caught on very quickly that the little red dot isn't
something that he's able to grab. He'll watch it intently
but very rarely will make a move to chase it. If I put the
dot on his tail or back legs he'll sort of chirp at it, but
he otherwise can't be bothered with it.

I got him one of these, and he loves it...

http://tinyurl.com/bqzux

He seems to like to be able to swat and catch something
that has a bit of substance to it.

but it seems as if he could use a bit more exercise.

>
><http://www.go-cat.com/>

Those look pretty cool too.


Thanks

Claude

claudel
December 3rd 05, 06:50 PM
In article >,
John Doe > wrote:
(claudel) wrote:
>
>> Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?
>
>That is a neat idea, IMO.

The trick is getting His Majesty to agree...

>
>I guess in-line skating is out of the question.

:^) Where do ya get the little skates???

>
>>
>> Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
>> exercise?
>
>I guess it depends on how fat and lazy the boss is. Currently, I
>have four 8' carpeted 2x4s in my room. Two of them are like
>bleachers about 5 and 6 feet above the floor in front of three large
>windows. One of them leans up against those so the cats can most
>easily climb up there. Another 8' carpeted 2x4 goes from the
>bleachers over to my computer stand which is an arch made of two by
>force for holding my beautiful 19 inch monitor above me while I lie
>down using the computer. I bumped my head yesterday, but I'm smart
>enough, I can learn to duck. And there's nothing wrong with me
>getting a little exercise too. Besides walking around the room on
>them, the cats also jump to various places from those carpeted 2x4s.

One of Bubba's endearing qualities to me is that he shows no
interest in exploring the higher places in my home. I'd hate
to encourage him to jump up on things since he is currently
content to stay on the floor and couches and off the bookshelves
and kitchen counters.

>
>In my opinion, the best way to carpet 2x4s is to buy the 2x4s, the
>carpet, and a staple gun, and just do it. Trying to keep the staples
>from hurting the cats claw is important, but the efficiency of using
>the staple gun (it's really easy that way) means you can get it
>done.
>
>>
>> Bubba's getting to be a bit of a fatass at 22Lbs and
>> reducing his food only seems to go so far, plus it
>> ruins his normally sunny disposition when the food
>> dish goes empty.
>
>You can trim a few pounds off of him the easy way. Carpet one 8'
>carpeted 2x4 and lean it up against something where the dry food
>goes. That way, he won't eat every time you turn around. And when he
>does eat, he will have to get a tiny amount of exercise for it.
>
That's a pretty good idea. I dunno if he'd walk a 2x4 or not.
He's not the most graceful/coordinated cat I've ever seen.

2x6, maybe.

>Good luck.


Thanks

Claude

cybercat
December 3rd 05, 07:05 PM
"Diane" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> In article >,
> (claudel) wrote:
>
> > Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
> > exercise?
>
> I use a laser light,

Laser light here too! And catnip toys that they can kick the snot out
of and otherwise attack when they are in the mood.

http://store.yahoo.com/fatcatinc/crcattoyse.html

and of course Da Bird, both of which remain popular
> when Himself is in the right mood. Also highly entertaining for Da Human.
>
> <http://www.go-cat.com/>
>

Oo, gotta check this out.

Joe Canuck
December 3rd 05, 07:20 PM
claudel wrote:

> Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?

Believe it or not, I once had a cat that would walk on the treadmill
when it was in motion and would seemingly be fascinated by walking
without going anywhere.

The other cat I had at the time would go flying out the back end of the
treadmill and never catch onto it. One would think that cat wasn't the
smart one; however, maybe this was all by design. :-D

>
> Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
> exercise?

Yes, but most involve some effort on your part as well... kitty isn't
going to exercise unless you pitch in. :-D

>
>
> Bubba's getting to be a bit of a fatass at 22Lbs and
> reducing his food only seems to go so far, plus it
> ruins his normally sunny disposition when the food
> dish goes empty.
>
> TIA
>
> CLaude

cybercat
December 3rd 05, 07:26 PM
"Diane" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > And catnip toys that they can kick the snot out
> > of and otherwise attack when they are in the mood.
>
> Hodge tends to stand in front of his fleece catnip toys as though he
> doesn't know they are there (he does), step backwards onto them, and
> start digging them with his back feet. I don't think I've seen a cat do
> that before.
>

?? lol

He is one weird boy! Weird, but beautiful.

Boo likes to lick hers until they are totally disgusting.
Gracie on the other hand wages war with them nightly. She stalks them, hooks
them with her paw to make them
jump as if alive, and rabbit kicks them to death by turn. (George Bush is a
new fav! It is pretty hilarious watching his red cowboy boots stick up and
flop around while my Great Hunter is rabbit-kicking him into submission.)

Our bed is covered with the things after I make it, but gradually over the
day and night they wind up on the floor from being flipped and body slammed
.. She also loves to lip them while being petted. :) Little hedonist!

cybercat
December 3rd 05, 07:27 PM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
...
> claudel wrote:
>
> > Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?
>
> Believe it or not, I once had a cat that would walk on the treadmill
> when it was in motion and would seemingly be fascinated by walking
> without going anywhere.
>
> The other cat I had at the time would go flying out the back end of the
> treadmill and never catch onto it. One would think that cat wasn't the
> smart one; however, maybe this was all by design. :-D
>

You have entirely too much fun with your cats, Joe. :)

claudel
December 3rd 05, 07:38 PM
In article >,
Joe Canuck > wrote:
>claudel wrote:
>
>> Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?
>
>Believe it or not, I once had a cat that would walk on the treadmill
>when it was in motion and would seemingly be fascinated by walking
>without going anywhere.
>
>The other cat I had at the time would go flying out the back end of the
>treadmill and never catch onto it. One would think that cat wasn't the
>smart one; however, maybe this was all by design. :-D
>

I'm pretty sure I once saw something resembling a giant hamster
wheel for sale at a cat show. I can't, however, figure out how
to get a cat (especially Bubba) to use one, unless for some reason
they wanted to.

>>
>> Any other suitable-to-the-boss ways of getting them some
>> exercise?
>
>Yes, but most involve some effort on your part as well... kitty isn't
>going to exercise unless you pitch in. :-D

Yeah. He'll chase the fish on a pole as long as I move it
for him, but it just doesn't seem like it burns enough
calories for him.



Claude

Rebecca Root
December 4th 05, 01:55 AM
On 2005-12-03 11:50:19 -0700, (claudel) said:

> In article >,
> John Doe > wrote:
>> (claudel) wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?
>>
>> That is a neat idea, IMO.
>
> The trick is getting His Majesty to agree...
>
>>
>> I guess in-line skating is out of the question.
>
> :^) Where do ya get the little skates???
> counters.

OK, true-confessions here. When I was a little kid, I noticed some doll
rollerskates at our local Woolworth's, and was struck by the fact that
the little boots bore no relationship to the shape of human (or human
doll) feet, but looked to be the perfect size to put on a cat. I was
obsessed with idea of getting two pairs and putting them on our cat. I
loved roller-skating, and had the idea that Simon would just skate
along with me. So I cracked open the old piggy bank and bought two
pairs and tried them out on Simon when my mom wasn't home. They fit
perfectly, but I couldn't get him to stand on them. Every time I tried
to set him on his feet, he just rolled over and took the skates off.
Total waste of money.

claudel
December 4th 05, 02:05 AM
In article <2005120318552916807%[email protected]>,
Rebecca Root > wrote:
>On 2005-12-03 11:50:19 -0700, (claudel) said:
>
>> In article >,
>> John Doe > wrote:
>>> (claudel) wrote:
>>>
>>>> Anybody have cats that will run a treadmill or a wheel?
>>>
>>> That is a neat idea, IMO.
>>
>> The trick is getting His Majesty to agree...
>>
>>>
>>> I guess in-line skating is out of the question.
>>
>> :^) Where do ya get the little skates???
>> counters.
>
>OK, true-confessions here. When I was a little kid, I noticed some doll
>rollerskates at our local Woolworth's, and was struck by the fact that
>the little boots bore no relationship to the shape of human (or human
>doll) feet, but looked to be the perfect size to put on a cat. I was
>obsessed with idea of getting two pairs and putting them on our cat. I
>loved roller-skating, and had the idea that Simon would just skate
>along with me. So I cracked open the old piggy bank and bought two
>pairs and tried them out on Simon when my mom wasn't home. They fit
>perfectly, but I couldn't get him to stand on them. Every time I tried
>to set him on his feet, he just rolled over and took the skates off.
>Total waste of money.
>

:^)

If I tried that with Bubba he'd chew something
vital off of me while I was sleeping.

I might see if he'll go for a harness and leash for some
walking, but he seems terrified of the thought of going
outside. I think he remembers the last time he was outside
before I got him when he wound up in the pound...


Claude

Claude

December 4th 05, 01:03 PM
Rebecca Root wrote:
> OK, true-confessions here. When I was a little kid, I noticed some doll
> rollerskates at our local Woolworth's, and was struck by the fact that
> the little boots bore no relationship to the shape of human (or human
> doll) feet, but looked to be the perfect size to put on a cat. I was
> obsessed with idea of getting two pairs and putting them on our cat. I
> loved roller-skating, and had the idea that Simon would just skate
> along with me. So I cracked open the old piggy bank and bought two
> pairs and tried them out on Simon when my mom wasn't home. They fit
> perfectly, but I couldn't get him to stand on them. Every time I tried
> to set him on his feet, he just rolled over and took the skates off.
> Total waste of money.

That rings a bell. Saw some rollerskates for cats but they were too
expensive for me. But they looked like little toy cars. So I bought
some toy cars and tried attaching the cars to you know who. She was not
pleased.

cybercat
December 4th 05, 05:34 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> Rebecca Root wrote:
> > OK, true-confessions here. When I was a little kid, I noticed some doll
> > rollerskates at our local Woolworth's, and was struck by the fact that
> > the little boots bore no relationship to the shape of human (or human
> > doll) feet, but looked to be the perfect size to put on a cat. I was
> > obsessed with idea of getting two pairs and putting them on our cat. I
> > loved roller-skating, and had the idea that Simon would just skate
> > along with me. So I cracked open the old piggy bank and bought two
> > pairs and tried them out on Simon when my mom wasn't home. They fit
> > perfectly, but I couldn't get him to stand on them. Every time I tried
> > to set him on his feet, he just rolled over and took the skates off.
> > Total waste of money.
>
> That rings a bell. Saw some rollerskates for cats but they were too
> expensive for me. But they looked like little toy cars. So I bought
> some toy cars and tried attaching the cars to you know who. She was not
> pleased.
>

Well, I just want to say that I am going to be looking sidelong at
the two of you from now on. ;)

Phil P.
December 7th 05, 04:03 PM
"claudel" > wrote in message
...

>
> I got him one of these, and he loves it...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bqzux
>
> He seems to like to be able to swat and catch something
> that has a bit of substance to it.

I feel the same way about laser pointers- I think they frustrate and confuse
the cat because the know they "caught it" but when they lift their paw its
gone.

Get one of these; its based on the same principal as yours, but you can cast
the lure on the Catfisher up to 40'. You can change the lures to provide
your cat with new challenges to keep him interested. You can also replace
the lure with a plastic clothespin to hold a treat. This way he'll get the
trill of the hunt and the reward of the catch!

http://www.maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/catfisher-w-suggie.jpg


Phil

Phil P.
December 7th 05, 04:07 PM
"Rebecca Root" > wrote in message
news:2005120318552916807%[email protected]
> On 2005-12-03 11:50:19 -0700, (claudel) said:
>
> OK, true-confessions here. When I was a little kid, I noticed some doll
> rollerskates at our local Woolworth's, and was struck by the fact that
> the little boots bore no relationship to the shape of human (or human
> doll) feet, but looked to be the perfect size to put on a cat. I was
> obsessed with idea of getting two pairs and putting them on our cat. I
> loved roller-skating, and had the idea that Simon would just skate
> along with me. So I cracked open the old piggy bank and bought two
> pairs and tried them out on Simon when my mom wasn't home. They fit
> perfectly, but I couldn't get him to stand on them. Every time I tried
> to set him on his feet, he just rolled over and took the skates off.
> Total waste of money.

lol! I think that's hilarious! ;)) That's worse than when I tried to get
little Santa hats on all my cats for a picture for a Christmas card. Now I
don't feel so bad. lol

Phil