PDA

View Full Version : New Cat / Kitten

Stephen G. Giannoni
December 4th 05, 12:38 AM
Just got back from adopting, from the League for Animal Protection,
with a 6 month old female beauty, who makes all the right moves, but
after 6 hours drinks water yet will not touch food. This is now our
only cat after recently loosing our "Arthur" of 16 years to a
malignant growth involving his stomach and/or liver. New cat also has
an occasional sneeze but the not eating thing even after only 6 hours
has us worried. Informed comments and opinions, most welcomed, &
thanks ...

PawsForThought
December 4th 05, 02:41 AM
Stephen G. Giannoni wrote:
> Just got back from adopting, from the League for Animal Protection,
> with a 6 month old female beauty, who makes all the right moves, but
> after 6 hours drinks water yet will not touch food. This is now our
> only cat after recently loosing our "Arthur" of 16 years to a
> malignant growth involving his stomach and/or liver. New cat also has
> an occasional sneeze but the not eating thing even after only 6 hours
> has us worried. Informed comments and opinions, most welcomed, &
> thanks ...

Congrats on your new kitty :) Have you named her yet?
I think you probably just need to give her a bit more time to adjust to
a new place. I've adopted cats before who wouldn't eat for about a
day. That she's drinking at least seems like a good sign. It's
possible too that she might be nursing a little cold. What are you
feeding her? Probably would be a good idea to get her vet checked this
coming week.

Lauren

claudel
December 4th 05, 03:00 AM
In article . com>,
PawsForThought > wrote:

>Stephen G. Giannoni wrote:
>> Just got back from adopting, from the League for Animal Protection,
>> with a 6 month old female beauty, who makes all the right moves, but
>> after 6 hours drinks water yet will not touch food. This is now our
>> only cat after recently loosing our "Arthur" of 16 years to a
>> malignant growth involving his stomach and/or liver. New cat also has
>> an occasional sneeze but the not eating thing even after only 6 hours
>> has us worried. Informed comments and opinions, most welcomed, &
>> thanks ...
>
>Congrats on your new kitty :) Have you named her yet?
>I think you probably just need to give her a bit more time to adjust to
>a new place. I've adopted cats before who wouldn't eat for about a
>day. That she's drinking at least seems like a good sign. It's
>possible too that she might be nursing a little cold. What are you
>feeding her? Probably would be a good idea to get her vet checked this
>coming week.

When I brought Bubba home from the shelter he was sneezing
and I took him to the vet who told me that many cats catch
the equivalent of a cold in there due to being around so
many other cats. She also told me not to worry about the
sneezing unless it persisted for more than a week or so
and/or became accompanied by a discharge from the eyes
or the nose. He quit sneezing on his own, and definately
has never had any problem eating.

It's a good idea to get your newbie checked by a vet
anyway. In Bubba's case there was a complimentary
vet exam included in the adoption fees...

YMMV

Claude

Stephen G. Giannoni
December 4th 05, 04:07 PM
Many thanks for all responses ! ...

We're about 18 hours now and no change. Still drinking OK, but still
just sniffs at the food.

The League for Animal Protection said she had all the vaccinations
from "soup 't nuts", spayed, and provided documentation.

This little girl is priceless and we're really mutually bonding;
slept with us last night, etc.

We've got a winter storm today, but if she continues to ignore food,
I'll get her in to the vet tomorrow ...

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:38:40 -0500, Stephen G. Giannoni
> wrote:

>Just got back from adopting, from the League for Animal Protection,
>with a 6 month old female beauty, who makes all the right moves, but
>after 6 hours drinks water yet will not touch food. This is now our
>only cat after recently loosing our "Arthur" of 16 years to a
>malignant growth involving his stomach and/or liver. New cat also has
>an occasional sneeze but the not eating thing even after only 6 hours
>has us worried. Informed comments and opinions, most welcomed, &
>thanks ...

PawsForThought
December 4th 05, 04:36 PM
Stephen G. Giannoni wrote:
> Many thanks for all responses ! ...
>
> We're about 18 hours now and no change. Still drinking OK, but still
> just sniffs at the food.\\

How about trying a different food? Do you know what she was being fed
at the shelter? If you are feeding a canned food, you might want to
microwave it for just about 5 -10 seconds to get it smelly. If she
does have a cold, she may be have a hard time smelling the food, so the
smellier you can make it, the better. Another thing you could try is
to sprinkle a touch of parmesan cheese on her food and see if that
entices her.

chas
December 4th 05, 04:50 PM
When adopting you will find you'll probably throw away a lot of food whilst
you try her with different things to find out what she likes. What was she
eating at the rescue place?

She may just also be nervous at being somewhere new. As long as she's
drinking and doing everything else, it's probably a little early to worry.

As others have said - it would not do any harm to get her checked by your
own vet.

good luck

chas

cybercat
December 4th 05, 06:26 PM
"Stephen G. Giannoni" > wrote

> This little girl is priceless and we're really mutually bonding;
> slept with us last night, etc.

Awww ... that is really great. I love affectionate cats. She has come to
trust you quickly.

> We've got a winter storm today, but if she continues to ignore food,
> I'll get her in to the vet tomorrow ...

Are you feeding her what they fed her at the shelter? If not,
maybe you could try that. If so, maybe she prefers something
different. They can be pretty finicky--and as you seem to know, they
can get into trouble quickly from not eating.

(My condolences for your loss of Arthur. It is always so hard to
lose the ones we love so much.)

Stephen G. Giannoni
December 7th 05, 01:55 AM
To all who have been so very kind in responding to our original
posting, I feel compelled to relate the following tragic excerpt from
an E-mail to our closest friends ...

**********

Life certainly can be cruel !

It is with profound grief and sadness than I must relate the tragic
event, for our already beloved new member of the family, our Annie,
late on the afternoon of this awful day, Monday, December 5. During a
routine feeding, she had just in jested a substantial quantity of the
recommended food, science diet for kittens, and then suddenly
regurgitated the lot, while then immediately inhaling all, and
plugging her air passageway, preventing further breathing.

I knew immediately to my profound horror what was happening, and tried
a Heimlich maneuver, but there was insufficient air in her lungs to
expel the material, and in the next few minutes she expired.

We have subsequently been in touch with the League for Animal
Protection, from whom we had adopted Annie, and they’ve been very
sympathetic, and have agreed to have us by tomorrow PM to get another
friend.

**********

Today, Tuesday 12/6, a bittersweet happy ending, with our adoption of
a 4 month old male, as yet unamed, who indeed seems to be everything
wonderful that could be asked for.

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:38:40 -0500, Stephen G. Giannoni
> wrote:

>Just got back from adopting, from the League for Animal Protection,
>with a 6 month old female beauty, who makes all the right moves, but
>after 6 hours drinks water yet will not touch food. This is now our
>only cat after recently loosing our "Arthur" of 16 years to a
>malignant growth involving his stomach and/or liver. New cat also has
>an occasional sneeze but the not eating thing even after only 6 hours
>has us worried. Informed comments and opinions, most welcomed, &
>thanks ...

Stephen G. Giannoni
December 7th 05, 02:35 AM
I have perhaps, neglected to mention sufficiently, the extent of
Annie's "cold" and congestion, which indeed was significant. We were
treating her with Clavamox from the LAP. This could very well have
been an important factor, as she was regularly sneezing, coughing,
with mucus, etc.

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:55:11 -0500, Stephen G. Giannoni
> wrote:

>To all who have been so very kind in responding to our original
>posting, I feel compelled to relate the following tragic excerpt from
>an E-mail to our closest friends ...
>
>**********
>
> Life certainly can be cruel !
>
>It is with profound grief and sadness than I must relate the tragic
>event, for our already beloved new member of the family, our Annie,
>late on the afternoon of this awful day, Monday, December 5. During a
>routine feeding, she had just in jested a substantial quantity of the
>recommended food, science diet for kittens, and then suddenly
>regurgitated the lot, while then immediately inhaling all, and
>plugging her air passageway, preventing further breathing.
>
>I knew immediately to my profound horror what was happening, and tried
>a Heimlich maneuver, but there was insufficient air in her lungs to
>expel the material, and in the next few minutes she expired.
>
>We have subsequently been in touch with the League for Animal
>Protection, from whom we had adopted Annie, and they’ve been very
>sympathetic, and have agreed to have us by tomorrow PM to get another
>friend.
>
>**********
>
>Today, Tuesday 12/6, a bittersweet happy ending, with our adoption of
>a 4 month old male, as yet unamed, who indeed seems to be everything
>wonderful that could be asked for.
>
>On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:38:40 -0500, Stephen G. Giannoni
> wrote:
>
>>Just got back from adopting, from the League for Animal Protection,
>>with a 6 month old female beauty, who makes all the right moves, but
>>after 6 hours drinks water yet will not touch food. This is now our
>>only cat after recently loosing our "Arthur" of 16 years to a
>>malignant growth involving his stomach and/or liver. New cat also has
>>an occasional sneeze but the not eating thing even after only 6 hours
>>has us worried. Informed comments and opinions, most welcomed, &
>>thanks ...

Stephen G. Giannoni
December 7th 05, 02:40 AM
I have perhaps, neglected to mention sufficiently, the extent of
Annie's "cold" and congestion, which indeed was significant. We were
treating her with Clavamox from the LAP. This could very well have
been an important factor, as she was regularly sneezing, coughing,
with mucus, etc.

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:55:11 -0500, Stephen G. Giannoni
> wrote:

>To all who have been so very kind in responding to our original
>posting, I feel compelled to relate the following tragic excerpt from
>an E-mail to our closest friends ...
>
>**********
>
> Life certainly can be cruel !
>
>It is with profound grief and sadness than I must relate the tragic
>event, for our already beloved new member of the family, our Annie,
>late on the afternoon of this awful day, Monday, December 5. During a
>routine feeding, she had just in jested a substantial quantity of the
>recommended food, science diet for kittens, and then suddenly
>regurgitated the lot, while then immediately inhaling all, and
>plugging her air passageway, preventing further breathing.
>
>I knew immediately to my profound horror what was happening, and tried
>a Heimlich maneuver, but there was insufficient air in her lungs to
>expel the material, and in the next few minutes she expired.
>
>We have subsequently been in touch with the League for Animal
>Protection, from whom we had adopted Annie, and they’ve been very
>sympathetic, and have agreed to have us by tomorrow PM to get another
>friend.
>
>**********
>
>Today, Tuesday 12/6, a bittersweet happy ending, with our adoption of
>a 4 month old male, as yet unamed, who indeed seems to be everything
>wonderful that could be asked for.
>
>On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:38:40 -0500, Stephen G. Giannoni
> wrote:
>
>>Just got back from adopting, from the League for Animal Protection,
>>with a 6 month old female beauty, who makes all the right moves, but
>>after 6 hours drinks water yet will not touch food. This is now our
>>only cat after recently loosing our "Arthur" of 16 years to a
>>malignant growth involving his stomach and/or liver. New cat also has
>>an occasional sneeze but the not eating thing even after only 6 hours
>>has us worried. Informed comments and opinions, most welcomed, &
>>thanks ...

Stephen G. Giannoni
December 7th 05, 02:42 AM
See original thread starting 12/03/05 ....

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 20:35:19 -0500, Stephen G. Giannoni
> wrote:

>I have perhaps, neglected to mention sufficiently, the extent of
>Annie's "cold" and congestion, which indeed was significant. We were
>treating her with Clavamox from the LAP. This could very well have
>been an important factor, as she was regularly sneezing, coughing,
>with mucus, etc.

Rhonda
December 7th 05, 07:32 AM
Oh no! I can't believe you lost your new little one. Poor thing. Sounds
like there was nothing that could have been done. I know they pick up
respiratory problems from the shelters, but this was so tragic.

One of our kittens caught a URI last year, and it is so serious for them
when they are little. I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

I'm glad you're going to get another friend. There is one there waiting
to come home with you.

Rhonda

Stephen G. Giannoni wrote:

> To all who have been so very kind in responding to our original
> posting, I feel compelled to relate the following tragic excerpt from
> an E-mail to our closest friends ...
>
> **********
>
> Life certainly can be cruel !
>
> It is with profound grief and sadness than I must relate the tragic
> event, for our already beloved new member of the family, our Annie,
> late on the afternoon of this awful day, Monday, December 5. During a
> routine feeding, she had just in jested a substantial quantity of the
> recommended food, science diet for kittens, and then suddenly
> regurgitated the lot, while then immediately inhaling all, and
> plugging her air passageway, preventing further breathing.
>
> I knew immediately to my profound horror what was happening, and tried
> a Heimlich maneuver, but there was insufficient air in her lungs to
> expel the material, and in the next few minutes she expired.
>
> We have subsequently been in touch with the League for Animal
> Protection, from whom we had adopted Annie, and they've been very
> sympathetic, and have agreed to have us by tomorrow PM to get another
> friend.
>
> **********
>
> Today, Tuesday 12/6, a bittersweet happy ending, with our adoption of
> a 4 month old male, as yet unamed, who indeed seems to be everything
> wonderful that could be asked for.
>
> On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:38:40 -0500, Stephen G. Giannoni
> > wrote:
>

>>Just got back from adopting, from the League for Animal Protection,
>>with a 6 month old female beauty, who makes all the right moves, but
>>after 6 hours drinks water yet will not touch food. This is now our
>>only cat after recently loosing our "Arthur" of 16 years to a
>>malignant growth involving his stomach and/or liver. New cat also has
>>an occasional sneeze but the not eating thing even after only 6 hours
>>has us worried. Informed comments and opinions, most welcomed, &
>>thanks ...

PawsForThought
December 7th 05, 02:55 PM
Stephen G. Giannoni wrote:
.. During a
> routine feeding, she had just in jested a substantial quantity of the
> recommended food, science diet for kittens, and then suddenly
> regurgitated the lot, while then immediately inhaling all, and
> plugging her air passageway, preventing further breathing.
>
> I knew immediately to my profound horror what was happening, and tried
> a Heimlich maneuver, but there was insufficient air in her lungs to
> expel the material, and in the next few minutes she expired.

Stephen, please accept my deepest condolences on your loss :( I know
this had to be so heartbreaking for you and your family. On the
bittersweet note, congrats on your new little boy, a sad beginning with
a happy ending.

Lauren

Stephen G. Giannoni
December 7th 05, 05:50 PM
Lauren,

Thanks for the beautiful sentiments.

Our new boy, who we're likely to call Chester, has developed keen
interests in Ichthyology (fish in aquarium) and Ornithology (birds at
the feeder). He stands up on his hind paws to gain height in front of
but not touching the aquarium, and looks like one of those Meercats
(Sp?, African?). Stays that way on only two paws for what seems like
forever, very cute.

In only one day we're bonding. He slept with us last night. Chester is
a real "people cat". Any human contact instantly switches on the purr,
one of the loudest I've heard for a cat at his stage of development.

Steve & Lana

PS - We don't want to spook Chester with flash, so no decent photos
yet. You can see our beloved Arthur (and a younger Steve & Lana) at :

http://www.homestead.com/giannoni/sa18.html

>Stephen, please accept my deepest condolences on your loss :( I know
>this had to be so heartbreaking for you and your family. On the
>bittersweet note, congrats on your new little boy, a sad beginning with
>a happy ending.
>
>Lauren

chas
December 7th 05, 06:04 PM
Very sorry to read of you loss of your new cat. How truly sad. You must have
mixed feeling at the moment having now got another cat.

Hope all goes well this time.

chas

Stephen G. Giannoni
December 7th 05, 08:33 PM
Chas,

Yes it certainly was mixed, but we weren't that closely bonded with
Annie yet. I'm early retired (3 years ago at only 56!; how sweet it
is! ...) so lots of time, and there was a big hole in my life with the
passing of our Arthur. Chester and I are great companions already,
etc. He has a very minor eye inflammation (no redness or discharge,
just keeps it a bit more closed than the other) and the LAP gave us a
tube of antibiotic ointment. Well, while I was out shopping, Chester
got a'hold of the tube and saw that it was properly perforated with
Kitty bytes; completely unusable. Understanding people at the LAP gave
me another; no charge ...

Thanks for the kind comments & understanding,

Steve

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 17:04:57 -0000, "chas" >
wrote:

>Very sorry to read of you loss of your new cat. How truly sad. You must have
>mixed feeling at the moment having now got another cat.
>
>Hope all goes well this time.
>
>chas

cybercat
December 7th 05, 10:49 PM
"Stephen G. Giannoni" > wrote in message

> Life certainly can be cruel !

I'm really sorry about what happened to Annie, Stephen. I had a small
kitten die while in my care and did not recover for a long time. (She had
been rejected by her mother, and died despite my feeding her every four
hours and giving her daily vet visits on days I worked.)

I'm glad you have another kitten that needs you. I feel sure that you did
the
best you could for Annie.

mlbriggs
December 14th 05, 02:25 AM
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 20:35:19 -0500, Stephen G. Giannoni wrote:

> I have perhaps, neglected to mention sufficiently, the extent of Annie's
> "cold" and congestion, which indeed was significant. We were treating her
> with Clavamox from the LAP. This could very well have been an important
> factor, as she was regularly sneezing, coughing, with mucus, etc.
>
> On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:55:11 -0500, Stephen G. Giannoni
> > wrote:
>
>>To all who have been so very kind in responding to our original posting,
>>I feel compelled to relate the following tragic excerpt from an E-mail to
>>our closest friends ...
>>
>>**********
>>
>> Life certainly can be cruel !
>>
>>It is with profound grief and sadness than I must relate the tragic
>>event, for our already beloved new member of the family, our Annie, late
>>on the afternoon of this awful day, Monday, December 5. During a routine
>>feeding, she had just in jested a substantial quantity of the recommended
>>food, science diet for kittens, and then suddenly regurgitated the lot,
>>while then immediately inhaling all, and plugging her air passageway,
>>preventing further breathing.
>>
>>I knew immediately to my profound horror what was happening, and tried a
>>Heimlich maneuver, but there was insufficient air in her lungs to expel
>>the material, and in the next few minutes she expired. ............
>>
>>We have subsequently been in touch with the League for Animal Protection,
>>from whom we had adopted Annie, and they’ve been very sympathetic, and
>>have agreed to have us by tomorrow PM to get another friend.
>>
>>**********
>>
>>Today, Tuesday 12/6, a bittersweet happy ending, with our adoption of a 4
>>month old male, as yet unamed, who indeed seems to be everything
>>wonderful that could be asked for.
>>
>>On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:38:40 -0500, Stephen G. Giannoni
> wrote:
>>
>>>Just got back from adopting, from the League for Animal Protection, with
>>>a 6 month old female beauty, who makes all the right moves, but after 6
>>>hours drinks water yet will not touch food. This is now our only cat
>>>after recently loosing our "Arthur" of 16 years to a malignant growth
>>>involving his stomach and/or liver. New cat also has an occasional
>>>sneeze but the not eating thing even after only 6 hours has us worried.
>>>Informed comments and opinions, most welcomed, & thanks ...

That certainly is a horror story -- so sad! May she rest in peace.
MLB