PDA

View Full Version : Cat ill with upper respiratory infection

December 5th 05, 08:09 PM
Hello

I recently adopted a adult male cat from a local humane society. He is
four years old. The first day I had him he was very engergetic,
following me everywhere. The second day I noticed a huge contrast in
personality. He was very quiet and lethargic (sleepy/tired). He was
also sneezing a lot, refused to eat or drink and had mucous running
from his nose and eyes. Today, the third day with him I rushed him to
the vet as he hadn't moved from where he was all night.

The vet doesn't believe it is feline leukemia and thinks it is an upper
respiratory infection and had prescribed Zithromax. He recommended
force feeding a soft diet via syringe to ensure dehydration doesn't
occur.

The cat is at home now, hiding under my bed where he refuses to come
out. I was wondering if anyone has had a cat that was sick like this
and what the outcome was. It's heartbreaking to seem him suffer when he
was just given a new lease on life.

Any feedback would be very much appreaciated. If you could email me at
with your reply that would be great.

Trevor

Phil P.
December 5th 05, 11:11 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello
>
> I recently adopted a adult male cat from a local humane society. He is
> four years old. The first day I had him he was very engergetic,
> following me everywhere. The second day I noticed a huge contrast in
> personality. He was very quiet and lethargic (sleepy/tired). He was
> also sneezing a lot, refused to eat or drink and had mucous running
> from his nose and eyes. Today, the third day with him I rushed him to
> the vet as he hadn't moved from where he was all night.
>
> The vet doesn't believe it is feline leukemia and thinks it is an upper
> respiratory infection and had prescribed Zithromax. He recommended
> force feeding a soft diet via syringe to ensure dehydration doesn't
> occur.
>
> The cat is at home now, hiding under my bed where he refuses to come
> out. I was wondering if anyone has had a cat that was sick like this
> and what the outcome was. It's heartbreaking to seem him suffer when he
> was just given a new lease on life.
>
> Any feedback would be very much appreaciated. If you could email me at
> with your reply that would be great.
>
> Trevor

If your vet is probably right. My guess is the stress of rehoming and a new
environment probably reactivated a latent Feline Herpesvirus infection
(FHV-1). Your cat doesn't want to eat because he probably can't smell his
food. Cats won't eat if they can't smell the food. Try heating up his
canned food to about 90-95F. Heated food is more aromatic and may help
stimulate his appetite.

You might also want to try steam inhalation to open up his nasal passages.
Bring him the bathroom with you and play with him or groom him while the
steam builds up. I've found cats are less stressed if they're in the
bathroom with you while the steam builds up than if they're brought into an
already steamed room. Your presence will also have a calming effect.

You can probably reduce his symptoms by giving him 250 mg L-lysine twice a
day. L-lysine interferes with herpesvirus replication. I've had excellent
results with Enisyl-F, its a L-lysine supplement in a paste that's
administered very easily via a preloaded dial-a-dose syringe. One ml
contains 250 mg L-lysine. Here's what the syringes look like:
http://www.maxshouse.com/Drugs/Enisyl-F.jpg

Here's more information: http://66.187.129.130/vetoquinol_pdfs/Enisyl.pdf

Here's the best price: http://tinyurl.com/bbaqr

Good luck,