PDA

View Full Version : One of God's Screechers

Doug Quarnstrom
December 7th 05, 04:47 PM
Once my Bengal got a taste for going outside on a leash, he really wants
be outside. Now he spends a good deal of his time yowling about it.

Ok he yowls about other things too. It is becoming very problematic.

Has anyone out there ever effectively trained a cat to shut the hell up?

doug

jmc
December 7th 05, 07:00 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Doug Quarnstrom exclaimed (07-Dec-05 4:47 PM):
> Once my Bengal got a taste for going outside on a leash, he really wants
> be outside. Now he spends a good deal of his time yowling about it.
>
> Ok he yowls about other things too. It is becoming very problematic.
>
> Has anyone out there ever effectively trained a cat to shut the hell up?
>
> doug

Ignore him? If you respond to his yowling, then it's reinforcement of
the behavior, even if you yell at him. Try completely, utterly ignoring
him when he's yelling. When he, as you put it, "shuts the hell up",
*then* pay attention to him. As soon as he starts in again, get up,
walk away, and ignore him again.

I have no idea if this'll work. My cat's talkative, but in a quiet way.
In her 10 years, she's never once yowled.

Even when she was accidentally locked in a closet some years ago. I
awoke thinking I heard something, and realized it was this tiny little
meow, like "hello? is there anyone out there? I'd like to come out
now, please."

:)
jmc

December 7th 05, 07:09 PM
Or you could always let him out if it's safe, or on the leash, he's a
cat, of course he's ****ed cos he can't go outside!

Ollie via CatKB.com
December 7th 05, 08:06 PM
Doug Quarnstrom wrote:
>Once my Bengal got a taste for going outside on a leash, he really wants
>be outside. Now he spends a good deal of his time yowling about it.
>
>Ok he yowls about other things too. It is becoming very problematic.
>
>Has anyone out there ever effectively trained a cat to shut the hell up?
>
>doug

Ha Ha,

Earplugs work well. So does several closed doors between you and the Bengal.
I got my Tigger, and now Tank (both Bengals), used to getting treats in the
morning when I got up. Well, I sometimes have call duty and when I get a
call it must be answered immediately and Tigger does not know the difference
between 2AM and 6AM. I'm out of bed, she wants her treat, NOW. I have been
asked if I have a crying baby in the house when I'm on the phone. My husband
said, don't give it to her, it just reinforces it, but I have to for peace
and quiet. Tank, on the other hand can take or leave the treats but he wants
his lap time with Mommy. So I'm trying to talk on the phone and work on the
computer with a cat, not laying, but standing on my lap. If I put him down
he either jumps right back up or starts chewing on the phone cord.

I love my kitties though. A few years ago Tigger got very sick and didn't
ask for her treats for awhile. I missed it so much. I try and remember that
when she is yowling in my ear.

ANTHONY DIODATI
December 8th 05, 01:59 AM
"Ollie via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Doug Quarnstrom wrote:
> >Once my Bengal got a taste for going outside on a leash, he really wants
> >be outside. Now he spends a good deal of his time yowling about it.
> >
> >Ok he yowls about other things too. It is becoming very problematic.
> >
> >Has anyone out there ever effectively trained a cat to shut the hell up?
> >
> >doug
>
> Ha Ha,
>
> Earplugs work well. So does several closed doors between you and the
Bengal.
> I got my Tigger, and now Tank (both Bengals), used to getting treats in
the
> morning when I got up. Well, I sometimes have call duty and when I get a
> call it must be answered immediately and Tigger does not know the
difference
> between 2AM and 6AM. I'm out of bed, she wants her treat, NOW. I have
been
> asked if I have a crying baby in the house when I'm on the phone. My
husband
> said, don't give it to her, it just reinforces it, but I have to for peace
> and quiet. Tank, on the other hand can take or leave the treats but he
wants
> his lap time with Mommy. So I'm trying to talk on the phone and work on
the
> computer with a cat, not laying, but standing on my lap. If I put him
down
> he either jumps right back up or starts chewing on the phone cord.
>
> I love my kitties though. A few years ago Tigger got very sick and didn't
> ask for her treats for awhile. I missed it so much. I try and remember
that
> when she is yowling in my ear.

Now Waite a minuet, He is not a male that is not fixed is he.
I was sick at the beginning of the month, and my cat decided it would be a
good time to start his howling spells. Drove me crazy, wakeing me up etc.
Got him fixed, totally different cat now.
Thanks, Tony

Doug Quarnstrom
December 9th 05, 03:04 PM
: Doug Quarnstrom wrote:
: >Once my Bengal got a taste for going outside on a leash, he really wants
: >be outside. Now he spends a good deal of his time yowling about it.
: >
: >Ok he yowls about other things too. It is becoming very problematic.
: >
: >Has anyone out there ever effectively trained a cat to shut the hell up?
: >
: >doug

: Ha Ha,

: Earplugs work well. So does several closed doors between you and the Bengal.

Yes, locking him up fixes the problem but I would rather not do that.
He screeches so often that he pretty much would be out of our lives.
Might as well just get rid of him.

I realize the other person who gave the "just ignore it" advice is technically
correct, but it is difficult to do. This cat is LOUD.

doug

Doug Quarnstrom
December 9th 05, 03:07 PM
ANTHONY DIODATI ) wrote:

: Now Waite a minuet, He is not a male that is not fixed is he.
: I was sick at the beginning of the month, and my cat decided it would be a
: good time to start his howling spells. Drove me crazy, wakeing me up etc.
: Got him fixed, totally different cat now.
: Thanks, Tony

That is a challenging question to answer. I did have him neutered, but
one of his testicles had not descended. The vet said she went in
looking for it on the inside of his leg and thought she got it but
was not absolutely sure.

She said that after he matured we would have to give him a testosterone
check to see if she had missed it and perhaps go in again. So maybe
it is testosterone. Good point.

I hope so, because at this point I am not sure I can take it...

doug

cybercat
December 9th 05, 05:08 PM
"Doug Quarnstrom" > wrote in message
> ANTHONY DIODATI ) wrote:
>

> : Now Waite a minuet, He is not a male that is not fixed is he.
> : I was sick at the beginning of the month, and my cat decided it would be
> : good time to start his howling spells. Drove me crazy, wakeing me up
etc.
> : Got him fixed, totally different cat now.
> : Thanks, Tony
>
> That is a challenging question to answer. I did have him neutered, but
> one of his testicles had not descended. The vet said she went in
> looking for it on the inside of his leg and thought she got it but
> was not absolutely sure.
>
> She said that after he matured we would have to give him a testosterone
> check to see if she had missed it and perhaps go in again. So maybe
> it is testosterone. Good point.
>
> I hope so, because at this point I am not sure I can take it...

Seems to me you need a new vet.