PDA

View Full Version : Do we give too much pet food to our pets?

December 7th 05, 11:33 PM
Take a look at this photo? After seeing it, you have to ask yourself:
Do we feed our pets too much?
I think that the unhealthy lifestyle of humans is increasingly
affecting our pets and that they are becoming lazier and more obese
with every new day.

http://www.igman.com/misc/Do-we-give-too-much-pet-food-to-our-pets

With the US market for pet food exceeding billions of dollars the pet
food producers and distributors are becoming more and more powerful. In
turn, they pour more money into marketing and that in turn makes
customers buy more and more pet food.

In the end, pets consume the stuff the owners buy and they become more
obese and less happy animals.

So, we would like to make our pets happier by giving them more food,
but in fact we make them sadder because we damage their health.

Any thoughts?

Best,

Vasko

Subject:Do we give too much pet food to our pets?

claudel
December 7th 05, 11:37 PM
In article . com>,
> wrote:
>Take a look at this photo? After seeing it, you have to ask yourself:
>Do we feed our pets too much?

After seeing that photo in about the tenth different
place I still marvel at the size of that cat, that doesn't
to me seem to be that overweight for it's size.

What a great cat.

Does anybody know the *real* story if this magnificent couch lion?

Claude

whitershadeofpale
December 7th 05, 11:39 PM
wrote:

> Any thoughts?
>
> Best,
>
> Vasko
>

> Subject:Do we give too much pet food to our pets?

great balls of fire!

I WANT ME ONE!

That cat looks laid back.

December 7th 05, 11:42 PM
Yes, guys, she's really cute animal...

NMR
December 7th 05, 11:46 PM
Couple of problems here
one do you know what a Maine coon cat is they get that big normally
second read the story about them
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bigcat2.asp#

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yes, guys, she's really cute animal...

claudel
December 8th 05, 12:16 AM
In article >,
NMR > wrote:
>Couple of problems here
>one do you know what a Maine coon cat is they get that big normally
>second read the story about them
>http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bigcat2.asp#

Thanks for the link. I'ts hard for me to believe that
Riley was only 24Lbs in those pix. My MC, Bubba is
~21<>22 lbs and doesn't have the illusion of immensity
that Riley has, although he covers most of a couch cushion
when he is stretched out. His owner must be sort of petite...

Claude

December 8th 05, 12:53 AM
wrote:

> Take a look at this photo? After seeing it, you have to ask yourself:
> Do we feed our pets too much?
> I think that the unhealthy lifestyle of humans is increasingly
> affecting our pets and that they are becoming lazier and more obese
> with every new day.
>
> http://www.igman.com/misc/Do-we-give-too-much-pet-food-to-our-pets
>
> With the US market for pet food exceeding billions of dollars the pet
> food producers and distributors are becoming more and more powerful. In
> turn, they pour more money into marketing and that in turn makes
> customers buy more and more pet food.
>

> In the end, pets consume the stuff the owners buy and they become more
> obese and less happy animals.
>

> So, we would like to make our pets happier by giving them more food,
> but in fact we make them sadder because we damage their health.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Best,
>
> Vasko
>

> Subject:Do we give too much pet food to our pets?

My cat weights 18 pounds, is not over-weight, and consumes a normal
amount of food.

December 8th 05, 02:15 AM
do you guys know anything about the BARF diet? what are your opinions?

December 8th 05, 02:53 AM
wrote:
> Take a look at this photo? After seeing it, you have to ask yourself:
> Do we feed our pets too much?
> I think that the unhealthy lifestyle of humans is increasingly
> affecting our pets and that they are becoming lazier and more obese
> with every new day.
>
> http://www.igman.com/misc/Do-we-give-too-much-pet-food-to-our-pets
>
> With the US market for pet food exceeding billions of dollars the pet
> food producers and distributors are becoming more and more powerful. In
> turn, they pour more money into marketing and that in turn makes
> customers buy more and more pet food.

> In the end, pets consume the stuff the owners buy and they become more
> obese and less happy animals.

> So, we would like to make our pets happier by giving them more food,
> but in fact we make them sadder because we damage their health.

I discussed this before. It's a touchy subject. The research shows that
living creatures from fruit flies to even perhaps people will live
much, much longer if underfed with the caveat of adequate nutrition.
The adequate nutrition means meeting the Recommended Daily Allowance or
RDA for essential amino acids, minerals and vitamins. I think most cats
could live past 25 years of age if the research is valid. I am not
aware of felines being researched specifically but primates, mice, rats
and so forth. Anecdotally, I have seen a cat over 21 years of age in
good health but she was definitely an under-eater. She was thin and
small and a dainty nibbler.

The research can be found under CRAN or Caloric Restriction Adequate
Nutrition. Since dieting to live is not too popular in our overweight
culture, other methods are being researched too, like telomeres? But
CRAN has been proved in the labs and with various animals. The big
question is with people. The research seems valid to me. The only
critical article was a cobbled math one so the jury is out for about
100 years. That's how long it will take for a full-bore study that
people should be healthy and live to over 100 in good health.

It's as difficult to explain to a cat as it is to a person that eating
less means living longer. One obese person said to me, I live to eat
instead of eat to live.

PawsForThought
December 9th 05, 12:12 AM
wrote:
> do you guys know anything about the BARF diet? what are your opinions?

I'm not fond of the word BARF, LOL, but I do feed my cats a homemade
raw diet. They are very sleek and muscular, and not overweight at all.
I don't really portion their food very carefully. Just feed them what
they want and they never get overweight, especially the male, who is a
very active cat. I don't recommend to people unless they're really
interested in feeding it and want to take the extra time necessary,
especially at the beginning.