PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - a SOFT microwaveable heater pad for cat bed.

chas
December 8th 05, 03:06 PM
I've tried two of these lately and returned them as my cat simply refused to
use her bed whilst it was there.

The first was a microwaveable 'wheatbag' which actually did smell horrid and
felt damp - the second was the Snugglesafe - a round hard disc shaped thing
that once microwaved for 6 mins stays hot for over 12 hours.

We tried that - and despite putting an extra fleece blanket round it and
over it to make it all level and comfy, my cat still did not want to use her
bed preferring to perch on the coffee table!

She tends to use her bed when I'm at work as she's banned from using the
satellite receiver box when I'm out - and as some of my shifts can be all
day or all night, a little under-blanket heater might just make her more
cosy when it's cold and saves me leaving my heating on for as long.

Well that was the theory.

My little madam obviously has other ideas!

chas

CatNipped
December 8th 05, 03:25 PM
"chas" > wrote in message
> I've tried two of these lately and returned them as my cat simply refused
> use her bed whilst it was there.
>
> The first was a microwaveable 'wheatbag' which actually did smell horrid
and
> felt damp - the second was the Snugglesafe - a round hard disc shaped
thing
> that once microwaved for 6 mins stays hot for over 12 hours.
>
> We tried that - and despite putting an extra fleece blanket round it and
> over it to make it all level and comfy, my cat still did not want to use
her
> bed preferring to perch on the coffee table!
>
> She tends to use her bed when I'm at work as she's banned from using the
> satellite receiver box when I'm out - and as some of my shifts can be all
> day or all night, a little under-blanket heater might just make her more
> cosy when it's cold and saves me leaving my heating on for as long.
>
> Well that was the theory.
>
> My little madam obviously has other ideas!
>
> chas

I don't recommend using a microwavable heating pad - you can't control the
temperature. My Bandit got so badly burned when the vet used one on her
during sedation for a teeth cleaning that they had to remove large patches
of skin on her back, side, and stomach:

http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Bandit_Boo_Boo/
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Bandit_Boo_Boo_Two/
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Second_Burn/
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Second_Burn_Now/
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Bandit_Boo_Boo_Three/
http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Bandit_Better/

Usually, as long a cat is inside out of the wind, they will be fine even if
you don't leave the heater on. Their fur is a wonderfully insulating
material.

Hugs,

CatNipped

NMR
December 8th 05, 04:42 PM
try something like this
http://www.harrietcarter.com/Detail.cfm?prod=9447&UDC=Y

chas
December 8th 05, 07:30 PM
Thanks. I'll take a look.

I think I'm about to give up on this.

chas

Gail
December 8th 05, 10:14 PM
Have you tried placing his bed in a cardboard box? Place a blanket in the
bottom of the box, then nuke the snuggle safe and place on top of the
blanket, then his bed. My cats love it this way.
Gail
"chas" > wrote in message
> I've tried two of these lately and returned them as my cat simply refused
> to use her bed whilst it was there.
>
> The first was a microwaveable 'wheatbag' which actually did smell horrid
> and felt damp - the second was the Snugglesafe - a round hard disc shaped
> thing that once microwaved for 6 mins stays hot for over 12 hours.
>
> We tried that - and despite putting an extra fleece blanket round it and
> over it to make it all level and comfy, my cat still did not want to use
> her bed preferring to perch on the coffee table!
>
> She tends to use her bed when I'm at work as she's banned from using the
> satellite receiver box when I'm out - and as some of my shifts can be all
> day or all night, a little under-blanket heater might just make her more
> cosy when it's cold and saves me leaving my heating on for as long.
>
> Well that was the theory.
>
> My little madam obviously has other ideas!
>
> chas

chas
December 9th 05, 07:09 PM
My cat would just prefer to play with the cardboard box!

She has a lovely big cat cushion on the sofa - covered with a warm fleece
for the winter months. I'm sure it's plenty warm enough without anything
else being added.

Maybe I just like to indulge her!

chas

Willow
December 9th 05, 07:26 PM
I used to work in petstores a lot.. would buy the fuffiest beds.. with the
plush stuff and super mushy and everything.. window shelves, you name it
they got it... costed me a fortune.. they NEVER used them...

Finaly I gave up, gave them a baby blanket I found in an appartment I moved
in (after washing it)... 6 years later Gaya still sleep on it.. straight on
the floor..

We're talking East Canada winter with a very very bad heating system.. until
3 years ago..(Now we're in california)

Go figure..

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.