PDA

View Full Version : Laser pointer - what a bust!


5cats
December 9th 05, 01:39 AM
Are my cats too smart? (or just too lazy?)

4 out of 5 cats figured out that it wasn't worth chasing in less than 3
minutes. The 5th kept at it until I felt sorry for him and gave him some
extra treats for his trouble.

claudel
December 9th 05, 01:49 AM
In article >,
5cats > wrote:
>Are my cats too smart? (or just too lazy?)
>
>4 out of 5 cats figured out that it wasn't worth chasing in less than 3
>minutes. The 5th kept at it until I felt sorry for him and gave him some
>extra treats for his trouble.
>
>
>

It only took Bubba about 30 seconds to lose interest in the
uncatchable red dot. He'll watch it intently, but can't be
bothered to chase it.

Glad I got the 2/$5 ones...

Claude

Lumpy
December 9th 05, 02:00 AM
"5cats" > wrote in message
...
> Are my cats too smart? (or just too lazy?)
>
> 4 out of 5 cats figured out that it wasn't worth chasing in less than 3
> minutes. The 5th kept at it until I felt sorry for him and gave him some
> extra treats for his trouble.
>

You have to let them "catch it" once in a while. Make it disappear when they
put their paw on it. Mine never get tired of it.

Joe Canuck
December 9th 05, 12:39 PM
5cats wrote:

> Are my cats too smart? (or just too lazy?)
>
> 4 out of 5 cats figured out that it wasn't worth chasing in less than 3
> minutes. The 5th kept at it until I felt sorry for him and gave him some
> extra treats for his trouble.
>
>
>

The 5th cat was being a sport and enjoying the chase for the sake of the
chase and playtime.

The rest of your bunch are much too cynical, particularly when they
discovered each time the dot moved so would your hand.

Willow
December 9th 05, 07:21 PM
Gaya looks at it, then back at me as if saying "You're kidding right?" and
walks off..

*sigh*
--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.


"5cats" > wrote in message
...
> Are my cats too smart? (or just too lazy?)
>
> 4 out of 5 cats figured out that it wasn't worth chasing in less than 3
> minutes. The 5th kept at it until I felt sorry for him and gave him some
> extra treats for his trouble.
>
>
>

Ron Herfurth
December 9th 05, 08:40 PM
"5cats" > wrote in message
...
> Are my cats too smart? (or just too lazy?)
>
> 4 out of 5 cats figured out that it wasn't worth chasing in less than 3
> minutes. The 5th kept at it until I felt sorry for him and gave him some
> extra treats for his trouble.


So the first 4 were too lazy, dumb or full to earn some extra treats.
Sounds like the 5th played you.




LOL


ron

December 9th 05, 10:15 PM
5cats wrote:
> Are my cats too smart? (or just too lazy?)
>
> 4 out of 5 cats figured out that it wasn't worth chasing in less than 3
> minutes. The 5th kept at it until I felt sorry for him and gave him some
> extra treats for his trouble.

Depends. Are your cats fairly mature? I found as my cat matures, she
loses interest in the laser quicker. It takes more effort to keep her
interested. I make sweeping circles from floor to ceiling. She likes
that. I got a newer laser that has a brighter red dot that the older
and uses AAA batteries. I have yet to replace the batteries. I find
that keeping the laser on for 5 or 10 minutes will get to her, takes
time, she pretends she is not interested, then wham.

PawsForThought
December 9th 05, 10:44 PM
wrote:
> Depends. Are your cats fairly mature? I found as my cat matures, she
> loses interest in the laser quicker. It takes more effort to keep her
> interested. I make sweeping circles from floor to ceiling. She likes
> that. I got a newer laser that has a brighter red dot that the older
> and uses AAA batteries. I have yet to replace the batteries. I find
> that keeping the laser on for 5 or 10 minutes will get to her, takes
> time, she pretends she is not interested, then wham.

I've never tried a laser pointer with my cats. They do love the
feather on a stick toy, and seem to never tire of chasing it. I think
they like it because it's interactive (meaning I have to swing it
around for them to chase). Another thing they go nuts over are those
little sparkly type of balls you can get at a craft store (I found mine
at the dollar store). However, most of the balls end up under the
refrigerator and guess who gets to fish them out.

cybercat
December 10th 05, 12:45 AM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message

However, most of the balls end up under the
> refrigerator and guess who gets to fish them out.
>

Somebody needs to invent a little robot sweeper that will get cat toys out
from under furniture.

cybercat
December 10th 05, 12:45 AM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message

However, most of the balls end up under the
> refrigerator and guess who gets to fish them out.
>

Somebody needs to invent a little robot sweeper that will get cat toys out
from under furniture. Wouldn't you buy that? I would buy that.

5cats
December 10th 05, 01:44 AM
wrote:

>
> 5cats wrote:
>> Are my cats too smart? (or just too lazy?)
>>
>> 4 out of 5 cats figured out that it wasn't worth chasing in less than
>> 3 minutes. The 5th kept at it until I felt sorry for him and gave
>> him some extra treats for his trouble.
>
> Depends. Are your cats fairly mature? I found as my cat matures, she
> loses interest in the laser quicker. It takes more effort to keep her
> interested. I make sweeping circles from floor to ceiling. She likes
> that. I got a newer laser that has a brighter red dot that the older
> and uses AAA batteries. I have yet to replace the batteries. I find
> that keeping the laser on for 5 or 10 minutes will get to her, takes
> time, she pretends she is not interested, then wham.
>

The youngest is 6, he loves to chase shoestrings when I dangle them for
him. The others are 10 - 12 years old and they do have different toys
they like, they just caught on to the idea that the laser wasn't
catchable way too quick.

December 10th 05, 03:09 AM
PawsForThought wrote:
> I've never tried a laser pointer with my cats. They do love the
> feather on a stick toy, and seem to never tire of chasing it. I think
> they like it because it's interactive (meaning I have to swing it
> around for them to chase). Another thing they go nuts over are those
> little sparkly type of balls you can get at a craft store (I found mine
> at the dollar store). However, most of the balls end up under the
> refrigerator and guess who gets to fish them out.

My cat has a slight attention disorder deficit but she's definitely not
hyperactive unless there's a mouse involved. And even then she gets
bored after the requisite catch, carry, and torture.

I bought the feather on a stick. Lasted about 30 seconds. I have tried
all types of balls. Only thing that seems to work are fuzzy mice.
Catnip still works. I feel as though I am depriving my cat or genuine
cultural enrichment.

I even bought that motorized, eccentric, Panic Mouse from Japan. That
lasted about 10 minutes.

It's not her fault. She is a former street cat so sees through things
quicker.

David
December 12th 05, 09:37 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> 5cats wrote:
>> Are my cats too smart? (or just too lazy?)
>>
>> 4 out of 5 cats figured out that it wasn't worth chasing in less than 3
>> minutes. The 5th kept at it until I felt sorry for him and gave him some
>> extra treats for his trouble.
>
> Nobody believes this story, but Cherokee went nuts over a laser
> pointer. Then he looked up at my hand, and figured out where the dot
> was coming from. He stalked off in a huff and never looked at the thing
> again.
>
> Sherry
>

I believe it. Our cats will get excited for a bit, then they hear the faint
clicking of the on-off button on the pointer, and start looking at my hand.
End of game. Apparently there's really someone home, at least some of the
time.

David

Tony P.
December 17th 05, 08:49 PM
In article >,
says...
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > 5cats wrote:
> >> Are my cats too smart? (or just too lazy?)
> >>
> >> 4 out of 5 cats figured out that it wasn't worth chasing in less than 3
> >> minutes. The 5th kept at it until I felt sorry for him and gave him some
> >> extra treats for his trouble.
> >
> > Nobody believes this story, but Cherokee went nuts over a laser
> > pointer. Then he looked up at my hand, and figured out where the dot
> > was coming from. He stalked off in a huff and never looked at the thing
> > again.
> >
> > Sherry
> >
>
> I believe it. Our cats will get excited for a bit, then they hear the faint
> clicking of the on-off button on the pointer, and start looking at my hand.
> End of game. Apparently there's really someone home, at least some of the
> time.
>
> David

The two males will follow the dot endlessly. The little tiny female
gives you the look that says "Yeah, ok. I know that you're doing it."