PDA

View Full Version : Pepcid for cats?

Brian Link
December 9th 05, 04:22 AM
My son's girlfriend's cat had a case of the pukes (on a Saturday night
of course - I think our cats prefer the emergency clinic to our
regular vet). We took her to the clinic, which did a blood test,
physical exam of the mouth and throat, and took xrays.

Little booger was fine, but the doctor said she saw a lot of gas
inside her stomach and large intestine. So she gave Chloe a shot of
Pepcid AC.

Chloe was a doll for three days.. no more freaking out or acting
bipolar. Then she started getting crabby again.

The vet said something about giving her regular Pepcid, bought off the
shelf at the drug store.

Has anyone done this? Any feelings about dosage? Is it really safe?

Thanks for any info.

BLink

blkcatgal
December 9th 05, 04:41 AM
When my cat had a bout of vomiting and seemed a bit off, my vet told me it
would be okay to give my cat regular Pepcid AC....about 1/4 of a pill once a
day. Also, I know that cats that suffer from CRF are recommended to take
1/4 pill of Pepcid daily too to control the nausea they have. I did this
with my previous cat.

Sue
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> My son's girlfriend's cat had a case of the pukes (on a Saturday night
> of course - I think our cats prefer the emergency clinic to our
> regular vet). We took her to the clinic, which did a blood test,
> physical exam of the mouth and throat, and took xrays.
>
> Little booger was fine, but the doctor said she saw a lot of gas
> inside her stomach and large intestine. So she gave Chloe a shot of
> Pepcid AC.
>
> Chloe was a doll for three days.. no more freaking out or acting
> bipolar. Then she started getting crabby again.
>
> The vet said something about giving her regular Pepcid, bought off the
> shelf at the drug store.
>
> Has anyone done this? Any feelings about dosage? Is it really safe?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> BLink

Helen
December 9th 05, 05:56 PM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> My son's girlfriend's cat had a case of the pukes (on a Saturday night
> of course - I think our cats prefer the emergency clinic to our
> regular vet). We took her to the clinic, which did a blood test,
> physical exam of the mouth and throat, and took xrays.
>
> Little booger was fine, but the doctor said she saw a lot of gas
> inside her stomach and large intestine. So she gave Chloe a shot of
> Pepcid AC.
>
> Chloe was a doll for three days.. no more freaking out or acting
> bipolar. Then she started getting crabby again.
>
> The vet said something about giving her regular Pepcid, bought off the
> shelf at the drug store.
>
> Has anyone done this? Any feelings about dosage? Is it really safe?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> BLink

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#famotidine

Helen

Spot
December 10th 05, 01:04 AM
1/4 a pill daily is recommended. Buy one of those pill cutters with the
blade in it because you can't split these pills up without one. I have a
cat who has a heart murmer and the vet commends he gets 1/4 pill daily for
his stomach.

Celeste

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> When my cat had a bout of vomiting and seemed a bit off, my vet told me it
> would be okay to give my cat regular Pepcid AC....about 1/4 of a pill once
> a day. Also, I know that cats that suffer from CRF are recommended to
> take 1/4 pill of Pepcid daily too to control the nausea they have. I did
> this with my previous cat.
>
> Sue
> "Brian Link" > wrote in message
>> My son's girlfriend's cat had a case of the pukes (on a Saturday night
>> of course - I think our cats prefer the emergency clinic to our
>> regular vet). We took her to the clinic, which did a blood test,
>> physical exam of the mouth and throat, and took xrays.
>>
>> Little booger was fine, but the doctor said she saw a lot of gas
>> inside her stomach and large intestine. So she gave Chloe a shot of
>> Pepcid AC.
>>
>> Chloe was a doll for three days.. no more freaking out or acting
>> bipolar. Then she started getting crabby again.
>>
>> The vet said something about giving her regular Pepcid, bought off the
>> shelf at the drug store.
>>
>> Has anyone done this? Any feelings about dosage? Is it really safe?
>>
>> Thanks for any info.
>>
>> BLink

Brian Link
December 10th 05, 05:48 AM
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 01:04:32 GMT, "Spot" >
wrote:

>1/4 a pill daily is recommended. Buy one of those pill cutters with the
>blade in it because you can't split these pills up without one. I have a
>cat who has a heart murmer and the vet commends he gets 1/4 pill daily for
>his stomach.
>
>Celeste
>
>"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>> When my cat had a bout of vomiting and seemed a bit off, my vet told me it
>> would be okay to give my cat regular Pepcid AC....about 1/4 of a pill once
>> a day. Also, I know that cats that suffer from CRF are recommended to
>> take 1/4 pill of Pepcid daily too to control the nausea they have. I did
>> this with my previous cat.
>>
>> Sue
>> "Brian Link" > wrote in message
>>> My son's girlfriend's cat had a case of the pukes (on a Saturday night
>>> of course - I think our cats prefer the emergency clinic to our
>>> regular vet). We took her to the clinic, which did a blood test,
>>> physical exam of the mouth and throat, and took xrays.
>>>
>>> Little booger was fine, but the doctor said she saw a lot of gas
>>> inside her stomach and large intestine. So she gave Chloe a shot of
>>> Pepcid AC.
>>>
>>> Chloe was a doll for three days.. no more freaking out or acting
>>> bipolar. Then she started getting crabby again.
>>>
>>> The vet said something about giving her regular Pepcid, bought off the
>>> shelf at the drug store.
>>>
>>> Has anyone done this? Any feelings about dosage? Is it really safe?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any info.
>>>
>>> BLink

There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.
Which are you talking about?

BLink

cybercat
December 10th 05, 05:56 AM
"Brian Link" > wrote

> There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
> regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.

No there isn't. Go back and look again.

December 10th 05, 06:15 AM
"cybercat" > wrote:

>"Brian Link" > wrote
>
>> There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
>> regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.
>
>No there isn't. Go back and look again.

I have a product by Pepcid that is one big Tums type of tablet. The
difference between it and the original is that it has dual action of
immediate relief as well as the priming your stomach before eating.

-mhd

blkcatgal
December 10th 05, 02:35 PM
You want to use the regular strength pepcid ac (10 mg), not pepcid complete,
not maximum strength, not the chewable kind. The usual dosage for a cat is
1/4 pill once a day or once every other day. Use a pill splitter; it works
pretty good at cutting one of those small pills into quarters.
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 01:04:32 GMT, "Spot" >
> wrote:
>
>>1/4 a pill daily is recommended. Buy one of those pill cutters with the
>>blade in it because you can't split these pills up without one. I have a
>>cat who has a heart murmer and the vet commends he gets 1/4 pill daily for
>>his stomach.
>>
>>Celeste
>>
>>"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>>> When my cat had a bout of vomiting and seemed a bit off, my vet told me
>>> it
>>> would be okay to give my cat regular Pepcid AC....about 1/4 of a pill
>>> once
>>> a day. Also, I know that cats that suffer from CRF are recommended to
>>> take 1/4 pill of Pepcid daily too to control the nausea they have. I
>>> did
>>> this with my previous cat.
>>>
>>> Sue

> There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
> regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.
> Which are you talking about?
>
> BLink

cybercat
December 10th 05, 03:35 PM
> wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>

> >"Brian Link" > wrote
> >
> >> There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
> >> regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.
> >
> >No there isn't. Go back and look again.
> >

> I have a product by Pepcid that is one big Tums type of tablet. The
> difference between it and the original is that it has dual action of
> immediate relief as well as the priming your stomach before eating.
>
> -mhd

I stand corrected. I have never seen this. All I have ever seen is Pepcid
Complete and regular Pepcid, which come in small tabs, either chewable
or non.

Helen
December 10th 05, 07:14 PM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
> regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.
> Which are you talking about?

If you bothered to read the link I posted, you'd know.

Helen

cybercat
December 10th 05, 09:31 PM
"Helen" > wrote in message
> "Brian Link" > wrote in message
> > There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
> > regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.
> > Which are you talking about?
>
> If you bothered to read the link I posted, you'd know.
>
> Helen

That's Bri-Bri for you.

John Doe
December 10th 05, 09:36 PM
troll

"cybercat" <boagrrl hotmail.com> wrote:

> From: "cybercat" <boagrrl hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: Pepcid for cats?
> Date: 10 Dec 2005 22:31:50 +0100
>

> "Helen" <helenandcats DONOTSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:OfCdnWuMXLNktQbeRVn-gA rcn.net...
>> "Brian Link" <blink visi.com> wrote in message
>> news:m0rkp1hpth5mdu981s9m7dira9ojigb0bl 4ax.com...
>> > There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
>> > regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.
>> > Which are you talking about?
>>
>> If you bothered to read the link I posted, you'd know.
>>
>> Helen
>>

> That's Bri-Bri for you.

NMR
December 10th 05, 09:38 PM
No john we don't consider you a troll
No one but you cares who you think is a troll STFU

Brian Link
December 11th 05, 02:24 AM
On 10 Dec 2005 22:31:50 +0100, "cybercat" > wrote:

>"Helen" > wrote in message
>> "Brian Link" > wrote in message
>> > There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
>> > regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.
>> > Which are you talking about?
>>
>> If you bothered to read the link I posted, you'd know.
>>
>> Helen
>>

>That's Bri-Bri for you.

Megan?

BLink

cybercat
December 11th 05, 03:26 AM
"NMR" > wrote in message
.. .
> No john we don't consider you a troll
> No one but you cares who you think is a troll STFU

You must care a bit since you keep talking to him. I have not seen a post by
John in ages.