PDA

View Full Version : Do your cats like classical music?

5cats
December 10th 05, 04:45 PM
For the last week or so, there's been some unusual sparring between at
least two of my cats, and it seemed like some tension was getting to a
couple of the others and they were getting hissy.

I ran across the suggestion that cats enjoy and would be calmed by
classical music. I put on some Vivaldi CDs and let them play all day
yesterday and again this morning. Well, the cats are sitting in the room
with the stereo, not avoiding it, at least.

What type of music do your cats like?

John Doe
December 10th 05, 05:36 PM
5cats > wrote:

> For the last week or so, there's been some unusual sparring
> between at least two of my cats, and it seemed like some tension
> was getting to a couple of the others and they were getting hissy.
>

> I ran across the suggestion that cats enjoy and would be calmed by
> classical music. I put on some Vivaldi CDs and let them play all
> day yesterday and again this morning. Well, the cats are sitting
> in the room with the stereo, not avoiding it, at least.
>
> What type of music do your cats like?

I don't know, but I like classical. I like the fact that it bridges
the generation gap.

I don't doubt that classical music can help soothe a cats nerves.

Lumpy
December 10th 05, 06:32 PM
"5cats" > wrote

> What type of music do your cats like?

The cat I had the longest used to respond to beautiful ballads by
seeking me out and staring at me and mewing plaintively.
What do I mean by beautiful ballads? (Pretty subjective, eh?)

Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me"
John Prine's "Hello in There"
Bette Midler's rendition of "I Don't Know Much"
Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes"

are some early examples. :)

Joe Canuck
December 10th 05, 09:33 PM
5cats wrote:

> For the last week or so, there's been some unusual sparring between at
> least two of my cats, and it seemed like some tension was getting to a
> couple of the others and they were getting hissy.
>
> I ran across the suggestion that cats enjoy and would be calmed by
> classical music. I put on some Vivaldi CDs and let them play all day
> yesterday and again this morning. Well, the cats are sitting in the room
> with the stereo, not avoiding it, at least.
>
> What type of music do your cats like?

Mine likes to hear the doorbell ring.

Tony P.
December 10th 05, 11:06 PM
In article >, [email protected]
remove-gmail.com says...
> 5cats wrote:
>
> > For the last week or so, there's been some unusual sparring between at
> > least two of my cats, and it seemed like some tension was getting to a
> > couple of the others and they were getting hissy.
> >
> > I ran across the suggestion that cats enjoy and would be calmed by
> > classical music. I put on some Vivaldi CDs and let them play all day
> > yesterday and again this morning. Well, the cats are sitting in the room
> > with the stereo, not avoiding it, at least.
> >
> > What type of music do your cats like?
> >

> Mine likes to hear the doorbell ring.

The sound of running water does it for my oldest cat.

Come to think of it, my cats are more sleepers/TV watchers than
anything. They just can't figure out how to work the remote so they can
watch Animal Planet all day.

cybercat
December 10th 05, 11:19 PM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote >
> Mine likes to hear the doorbell ring.

Not really! Mind hide. What does your doorbell sound like, Joe?

Joe Canuck
December 10th 05, 11:55 PM
cybercat wrote:

> "Joe Canuck" > wrote >
>
>>Mine likes to hear the doorbell ring.
>

> Not really! Mind hide. What does your doorbell sound like, Joe?

"Ding-Dong"

"Oh boy, oh boy... someone is coming to visit. More attention for me!"

cybercat
December 11th 05, 04:19 AM
"Tony P." > wrote:

> The sound of running water does it for my oldest cat.
>
> Come to think of it, my cats are more sleepers/TV watchers than
> anything. They just can't figure out how to work the remote so they can
> watch Animal Planet all day.

My cats don't appear to be able to actually see the images on the TV,
or at least not as something that registers with them.

cybercat
December 11th 05, 04:24 AM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>
> > "Joe Canuck" > wrote >
> >
> >>Mine likes to hear the doorbell ring.
> >

> > Not really! Mind hide. What does your doorbell sound like, Joe?
> >

> "Ding-Dong"
>
> "Oh boy, oh boy... someone is coming to visit. More attention for me!"

Ah, I see! Socially well-adjusted cats.

Elizabeth Blake
December 11th 05, 06:01 AM
"Nomen Nescio" ]> wrote in message

> Fission was a Pink Floyd fan. She'd position herself
> between the speakers for the ideal stereo effect.

Otto really likes Pink Floyd. Actually, I don't know if he likes them but
they're the only band/singer he's really listened to. I think he's
interested in all of the little background noises/talking that are in a lot
of their songs. He sat on my desk and listened, intently, to The Wall from
start to finish one night. He has never shown any signs that music was
playing other than Pink Floyd. Tiger doesn't seem to like any music, but
she does hate jazz, especially saxaphones. Stinky, one of the cats at work,
also hates jazz (and not just when she hears a sax). If a co-worker has
some playing in his office, every time Stinky gets near his door her ears go
back and she looks terrified. She'll start to creep by, and then run when
she thinks it's safe.

--
Liz

whitershadeofpale
December 11th 05, 06:12 AM
5cats wrote:

> What type of music do your cats like?

I have more shame than to post in this topic.
It's a good question, but after i've showed my
tail so bad, I have more couth than that.

but John Doe?

He actually said
"bridge the generation gap"

oh! he has NO SHAME!!!

ps. my cats likes teddy pendegrasses

Clyde Ferndock
December 11th 05, 02:22 PM
> What type of music do your cats like?

My cat's (Sugar & Spice) don't seem to care one way or the other. They do
like some television programs like "Cops" for example. Maybe it's the
music (I'll have to try that), but they watch intently as long as the bad
guys are getting clobbered.

Rebecca Root
December 12th 05, 03:08 AM
On 2005-12-10 08:45:12 -0700, 5cats > said:

> For the last week or so, there's been some unusual sparring between at
> least two of my cats, and it seemed like some tension was getting to a
> couple of the others and they were getting hissy.
> I ran across the suggestion that cats enjoy and would be calmed by
> classical music. I put on some Vivaldi CDs and let them play all day
> yesterday and again this morning. Well, the cats are sitting in the
> room with the stereo, not avoiding it, at least.
> What type of music do your cats like?

My current cats don't seem to care about music one way or the other,
but my previous cat, Thackeray, loved late Renaissance, early baroque
music. His favorite composer was John Dowland, and his favorite piece
was "Lachramae Pavane" (the instrumental solo version). I play baroque
harp, and if I played this piece he'd come running from where ever he
was to lay there and purr.

Thackie was very shy of other people and would hide if they came over.
Once, a lutenist I played with (named Phil) came over for a rehearsal
with me and of course Thackeray hid. While warming up, Phil started in
to play the Lachramae, and Thackie came running in, though it sounded a
little different on lute. He stopped dead when he saw that the music
was coming from a stranger. He scooted out, but I noticed that he
stayed just outside behind the door, out of sight but where he could
listen in.

Another time I was working on this awful little solo in Monteverdi's
Orfeo. It was two bars of seemingly meaningless runs. It was really
difficult to play at all, and I had no clue how to make it sound like
anything. Thackie would leave the room with his ears back whenever I
played it. I finally got so that I could at least play the notes, and
then was slowly able to find the music in it. And then, I finally
nailed it, not just slippling along on the notes, but really putting
the affect in it. I looked up and there was Thackie, still in the room,
all stretched and happy, with this look on his face that said "Finally!
something worth listening to!" After that, I always used him as a guage
from when a piece turned from just notes to music.

claudel
December 12th 05, 03:21 AM
In article <2005121119080816807%[email protected]>,
Rebecca Root > wrote:
>On 2005-12-10 08:45:12 -0700, 5cats > said:
>
>> For the last week or so, there's been some unusual sparring between at
>> least two of my cats, and it seemed like some tension was getting to a
>> couple of the others and they were getting hissy.
>> I ran across the suggestion that cats enjoy and would be calmed by
>> classical music. I put on some Vivaldi CDs and let them play all day
>> yesterday and again this morning. Well, the cats are sitting in the
>> room with the stereo, not avoiding it, at least.
>> What type of music do your cats like?
>
>My current cats don't seem to care about music one way or the other,
>but my previous cat, Thackeray, loved late Renaissance, early baroque
>music. His favorite composer was John Dowland, and his favorite piece
>was "Lachramae Pavane" (the instrumental solo version). I play baroque
>harp, and if I played this piece he'd come running from where ever he
>was to lay there and purr.
>
>Thackie was very shy of other people and would hide if they came over.
>Once, a lutenist I played with (named Phil) came over for a rehearsal
>with me and of course Thackeray hid. While warming up, Phil started in
>to play the Lachramae, and Thackie came running in, though it sounded a
>little different on lute. He stopped dead when he saw that the music
>was coming from a stranger. He scooted out, but I noticed that he
>stayed just outside behind the door, out of sight but where he could
>listen in.
>
>Another time I was working on this awful little solo in Monteverdi's
>Orfeo. It was two bars of seemingly meaningless runs. It was really
>difficult to play at all, and I had no clue how to make it sound like
>anything. Thackie would leave the room with his ears back whenever I
>played it. I finally got so that I could at least play the notes, and
>then was slowly able to find the music in it. And then, I finally
>nailed it, not just slippling along on the notes, but really putting
>the affect in it. I looked up and there was Thackie, still in the room,
>all stretched and happy, with this look on his face that said "Finally!
>something worth listening to!" After that, I always used him as a guage
>from when a piece turned from just notes to music.

Everybody's a critic.

:^)

Claude

Phil P.
December 12th 05, 06:51 PM
"5cats" > wrote in message
> For the last week or so, there's been some unusual sparring between at
> least two of my cats, and it seemed like some tension was getting to a
> couple of the others and they were getting hissy.
>
> I ran across the suggestion that cats enjoy and would be calmed by
> classical music. I put on some Vivaldi CDs and let them play all day
> yesterday and again this morning. Well, the cats are sitting in the room
> with the stereo, not avoiding it, at least.
>
> What type of music do your cats like?

I think my cat's like Berlioz's "Requiem" because the soft kettle drums
sound like cats purring.

David
December 12th 05, 11:02 PM
"Rebecca Root" > wrote in message
news:2005121119080816807%[email protected]
> On 2005-12-10 08:45:12 -0700, 5cats > said:
>
> My current cats don't seem to care about music one way or the other, but
> my previous cat, Thackeray, loved late Renaissance, early baroque music.
> His favorite composer was John Dowland, and his favorite piece was
> "Lachramae Pavane" (the instrumental solo version). I play baroque harp,
> and if I played this piece he'd come running from where ever he was to lay
> there and purr.
>
> Thackie was very shy of other people and would hide if they came over.
> Once, a lutenist I played with (named Phil) came over for a rehearsal with
> me and of course Thackeray hid. While warming up, Phil started in to play
> the Lachramae, and Thackie came running in, though it sounded a little
> different on lute. He stopped dead when he saw that the music was coming
> from a stranger. He scooted out, but I noticed that he stayed just outside
> behind the door, out of sight but where he could listen in.
>
> Another time I was working on this awful little solo in Monteverdi's
> Orfeo. It was two bars of seemingly meaningless runs. It was really
> difficult to play at all, and I had no clue how to make it sound like
> anything. Thackie would leave the room with his ears back whenever I
> played it. I finally got so that I could at least play the notes, and then
> was slowly able to find the music in it. And then, I finally nailed it,
> not just slippling along on the notes, but really putting the affect in
> it. I looked up and there was Thackie, still in the room, all stretched
> and happy, with this look on his face that said "Finally! something worth
> listening to!" After that, I always used him as a guage from when a piece
> turned from just notes to music.

Hmmm--

The cats don't seem to react very much to Monteverdi, but Tigger doesn't
particularly like operatic sopranos. The louder the music, the less they
like it, too. The "1812 Overture" and "Wellington's Victory" are guaranteed
to empty the room of cats. I'm not sure they think much of "The Rite of
Spring" either.

Panda (RB) once got into my lap while I was playing the piano at home,
accompanying a singer with whom I was rehearsing. And if I'm practicing
organ music, Tigger will sometimes show up on the bench as if to say, "Hey!
I come first around here! Stop it with that box of whistles! It's driving me
nuts! I have to protect you from that thing!"

David