PDA

View Full Version : Annual flu-enteritus vacs - necessary?

Ellie Bentley
December 10th 05, 08:37 PM
Hi.

Our vet seems to have boosted the price of the annual flu-enteritus
feline vaccination boosters this year by quite a large amount.
Unfortunately, there are only two vets within a 30-mile radius. But
while I am angry that he seems to be making a packet out of the annual
jabs another question has popped into my head. Are these jabs really
necessary at all?

A friend says she read that after the initial jab and maybe one booster
no more are necessary at all.

A neighbour has an old cat whom she has never had vaccinated at all and
the cat is strong and healthy. The neighbour is very much in natural
solutions, natural immunity, etc.

Another friend says that even after flu jabs one of his cats got the flu
two months later and almost died - had to spend a week at the vet's.

The other thing is we live right out in the country. People round here
don't get colds and rarely the flu because of all the fresh air and lack
of people. Maybe the same thing goes for cats?

Added to that my two are strong healthy creatures that spend five hours
each day outside climbing trees, exploring woods, racing across fields
etc.

What do people think? I would be glad to hear many people's advice.

Thanks.

Joe Canuck
December 10th 05, 09:02 PM
Ellie Bentley wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Our vet seems to have boosted the price of the annual flu-enteritus
> feline vaccination boosters this year by quite a large amount.
> Unfortunately, there are only two vets within a 30-mile radius. But
> while I am angry that he seems to be making a packet out of the annual
> jabs another question has popped into my head. Are these jabs really
> necessary at all?
>
> A friend says she read that after the initial jab and maybe one booster
> no more are necessary at all.
>
> A neighbour has an old cat whom she has never had vaccinated at all and
> the cat is strong and healthy. The neighbour is very much in natural
> solutions, natural immunity, etc.
>
> Another friend says that even after flu jabs one of his cats got the flu
> two months later and almost died - had to spend a week at the vet's.
>
> The other thing is we live right out in the country. People round here
> don't get colds and rarely the flu because of all the fresh air and lack
> of people. Maybe the same thing goes for cats?
>
> Added to that my two are strong healthy creatures that spend five hours
> each day outside climbing trees, exploring woods, racing across fields
> etc.
>
> What do people think? I would be glad to hear many people's advice.
>
> Thanks.

Well, here is my experience...

My cat received all her shots when she was young and for the last few
years hasn't received a single shot.

She lives strictly indoors, is the only cat in the house, and doesn't
come into contact with other cats... either directly or indirectly. I
feed her Science Diet dry, Medi-Cal treats, and provide a DrinkWell
fountain. Of course, she gets the occasional human food treat... for
some reason she likes to lick sliced tomatoes and goes bananas over
olives (likely the sodium).

She hasn't been sick a day in her life, except a while back when I made
a good effort to get her on canned and when she had an eye issue.

The humans in this household get the flu shots.

I'm not saying your vet does this, but some like to generate cash flow.
Obviously a vet isn't making much money off me, other than the food
which considering the geographic region I'm forced to purchase from the
vet and pay $10 more per bag.

Here is some reading from Phil's site:

http://maxshouse.com/vaccine_protocols.htm

PawsForThought
December 10th 05, 10:53 PM
Ellie Bentley wrote:
> What do people think? I would be glad to hear many people's advice.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Ellie,
You might find some good information on this site:

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm

Lauren