PDA

View Full Version : Scratching in the catbox

terianne
December 10th 05, 09:56 PM
Was wondering if anyone else has this issue.

I have two cats (age 2 and 8). I have noticed that whether its out of
boredom or what, at different times these cats will stay in their box and
constantly scratch the litter. Their box is cleaned every day, so I know it
cant be a 'clean' issue, but the constant scratching is becoming annoying.
Sometimes its not even that they have used the box, more like a "need to move
around the litter". Does anyone have any clue WHY they do this? Does anyone
have a cat that shows this same behavior? Sometimes the scratching goes on
for 10-15 minutes and someone ends up holloring for them to stop.

HELP!

cybercat
December 10th 05, 10:19 PM
"terianne" <u16568@uwe> wrote :

Does anyone have any clue WHY they do this? Does anyone
> have a cat that shows this same behavior? Sometimes the scratching goes
on
> for 10-15 minutes and someone ends up holloring for them to stop.

Do they have good stuff to scratch on?

Otherwise, you know, they can be very compulsive little creatures.
Sometimes I tell my little tabby when she is trying to claw up the rug
the cat box is sitting on like it will cover something in the box, "okay,
okay, I think it's covered!"

Any way you can move the cat boxes so that you can't hear them
scratching?

Joe Canuck
December 10th 05, 10:48 PM
terianne wrote:

> Was wondering if anyone else has this issue.
>
> I have two cats (age 2 and 8). I have noticed that whether its out of
> boredom or what, at different times these cats will stay in their box and
> constantly scratch the litter. Their box is cleaned every day, so I know it
> cant be a 'clean' issue, but the constant scratching is becoming annoying.
> Sometimes its not even that they have used the box, more like a "need to move
> around the litter". Does anyone have any clue WHY they do this? Does anyone
> have a cat that shows this same behavior? Sometimes the scratching goes on
> for 10-15 minutes and someone ends up holloring for them to stop.
>
> HELP!

They are like kids with their Tonka bulldozers and payloaders in the
sand box moving dirt around... let them have their fun.

Absolutely do not start giving them a hard time over this, because then
they may associate the litter box with that which may cause an even
bigger issue than this one.

Spot
December 11th 05, 02:59 AM
Joe is right the last thing you want to do is spook them while using or even
playing in the litter box. It's best to just let cats be to do their
business in private. I have one who thinks he has to dig to China to go and
I just let him do his digging. He can be in there forever it seems at
times.

Celeste

"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> terianne wrote:
>
>> Was wondering if anyone else has this issue.
>>
>> I have two cats (age 2 and 8). I have noticed that whether its out of
>> boredom or what, at different times these cats will stay in their box and
>> constantly scratch the litter. Their box is cleaned every day, so I know
>> it
>> cant be a 'clean' issue, but the constant scratching is becoming
>> annoying.
>> Sometimes its not even that they have used the box, more like a "need to
>> move
>> around the litter". Does anyone have any clue WHY they do this? Does
>> anyone
>> have a cat that shows this same behavior? Sometimes the scratching goes
>> on
>> for 10-15 minutes and someone ends up holloring for them to stop.
>>
>> HELP!
>
> They are like kids with their Tonka bulldozers and payloaders in the sand
> box moving dirt around... let them have their fun.
>
> Absolutely do not start giving them a hard time over this, because then
> they may associate the litter box with that which may cause an even bigger
> issue than this one.

terianne
December 11th 05, 04:26 AM
Thanks everyone for your great feedback. I am considering getting a cat tree
for them to play on, climb and scratch. If it truly is a 'scratching' issue,
hopefully this may help with that need. Joe you are right. I certainly don't
want them feeling edgy everytime they need to use the box for fear of getting
scolded.

I'm glad I found this website! Thanks again!

Spot wrote:
>Joe is right the last thing you want to do is spook them while using or even
>playing in the litter box. It's best to just let cats be to do their
>business in private. I have one who thinks he has to dig to China to go and
>I just let him do his digging. He can be in there forever it seems at
>times.
>
>Celeste
>
>>> Was wondering if anyone else has this issue.
>>>
>[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]
>> they may associate the litter box with that which may cause an even bigger
>> issue than this one.

Paul M. Cook
December 12th 05, 12:09 AM
"terianne" <u16568@uwe> wrote in message news:58a4ed5dac2f4@uwe...
> Was wondering if anyone else has this issue.
>
> I have two cats (age 2 and 8). I have noticed that whether its out of
> boredom or what, at different times these cats will stay in their box and
> constantly scratch the litter. Their box is cleaned every day, so I know
it
> cant be a 'clean' issue, but the constant scratching is becoming annoying.
> Sometimes its not even that they have used the box, more like a "need to
move
> around the litter". Does anyone have any clue WHY they do this? Does
anyone
> have a cat that shows this same behavior? Sometimes the scratching goes
on
> for 10-15 minutes and someone ends up holloring for them to stop.
>
> HELP!

My cats do this too. My one cat, Buddy, does it and really seems to enjoy
it. Especially if the litter is new, he just loves digging in it.
Sometimes they will toss litter out the sides too. I think it just feels
good or something. My other cat will scratch at papers on the floor until
they are shredded.

What to do about it? Nothing. They're just being cats. If they wanted us
to know all their secrets they'd tell us. Don't spook a cat around the
litter box. if they associate unpleasant events with the LB then you will
have the problem of them going in other places, like behind the sofa or your
sock drawer. They are the way they are. If the cat gets too happy in the
LB try distracting him by offering to play or giving him a cat treat. But
do not shout at them, it does no good.

Paul

terianne via CatKB.com
December 12th 05, 12:35 AM
OMG, Paul that is so funny about your cat shredding paper!! My 2 year old
has the same habit. We dont leave anything out that we value, i.e., school
homework, paperwork brought home from work --- nothing. Otherwise, its a
clear case of "My cat ate my homework!" :)

Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> Was wondering if anyone else has this issue.
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>>
>> HELP!
>
>My cats do this too. My one cat, Buddy, does it and really seems to enjoy
>it. Especially if the litter is new, he just loves digging in it.
>Sometimes they will toss litter out the sides too. I think it just feels
>good or something. My other cat will scratch at papers on the floor until
>they are shredded.
>
>What to do about it? Nothing. They're just being cats. If they wanted us
>to know all their secrets they'd tell us. Don't spook a cat around the
>litter box. if they associate unpleasant events with the LB then you will
>have the problem of them going in other places, like behind the sofa or your
>sock drawer. They are the way they are. If the cat gets too happy in the
>LB try distracting him by offering to play or giving him a cat treat. But
>do not shout at them, it does no good.
>
>Paul

treeline12345@yahoo.com
December 12th 05, 12:40 AM
terianne wrote:
> Was wondering if anyone else has this issue.
>
> I have two cats (age 2 and 8). I have noticed that whether its out of
> boredom or what, at different times these cats will stay in their box and
> constantly scratch the litter. Their box is cleaned every day, so I know it
> cant be a 'clean' issue, but the constant scratching is becoming annoying.
> Sometimes its not even that they have used the box, more like a "need to move
> around the litter". Does anyone have any clue WHY they do this? Does anyone
> have a cat that shows this same behavior? Sometimes the scratching goes on
> for 10-15 minutes and someone ends up holloring for them to stop.
>
> HELP!

if the cats are pleased to scratch around, why is this an issue with
them? does the scratching really disturb you so much? why? in any case,
what type of litter are you using? the usual clay? i use wheat from
Swheatscoop - it's wheat and don't have this problem. also the wheat is
safer than the clay. i read some vet journal articles where clay or the
dust or the impurities have been associated with cats and some serious
problems. so a few dollars more i get a natural product. clay is
natural but not at all a safe food product like wheat. if you're using
clay and they are scatching up a dust storm, i might be a tad
concerned. makes sense?

Phil P.
December 12th 05, 05:44 PM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

Don't spook a cat around the
> litter box. if they associate unpleasant events with the LB

Excellent point!

Phil

John Doe
December 12th 05, 06:03 PM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> What to do about it? Nothing. They're just being cats. If they
> wanted us to know all their secrets they'd tell us. Don't spook a
> cat around the litter box. if they associate unpleasant events
> with the LB then you will have the problem of them going in other
> places, like behind the sofa or your sock drawer.
>
> They are the way they are. If the cat gets too happy in the LB
> try distracting him by offering to play or giving him a cat treat.
> But do not shout at them, it does no good.

Yup. Do only praise around the litter box. If they were outside,
they could go wherever they felt like going.

Telecomdani@aol.com
December 12th 05, 10:07 PM
My little guy - builds a mountain of litter to pee on. The why is
unanswerable..why do cats do anything that they do? :O)