PDA

View Full Version : indoor only cat person? what would you do for a stray?

John Doe
December 11th 05, 05:14 AM
I've always thought that keeping a cat indoors is the only way to
go, and I've always taken them off of the street. But then I see
cats outside being allowed to have litters destined for the same ill
fate of being mishandled and killed/dead after a short miserable
life, and I think maybe satisfaction can come from helping them out
there instead of taking them in as pets.

My objective definitely would not be to increase their numbers. If
you agree with that, what (in your opinion) is and isn't okay to do
for stray cats which will remain outdoors? I suppose spay and neuter
is a given.

By the way, is a neutered cat more easily driven away by a stray
unneutered tomcat? Just curious.

Frank Pittel
December 11th 05, 09:56 AM
John Doe > wrote:
: I've always thought that keeping a cat indoors is the only way to
: go, and I've always taken them off of the street. But then I see
: cats outside being allowed to have litters destined for the same ill
: fate of being mishandled and killed/dead after a short miserable
: life, and I think maybe satisfaction can come from helping them out
: there instead of taking them in as pets.

Here in the county I live in, it's illegal to let your pet cat be an
"outside" cat.

: My objective definitely would not be to increase their numbers. If
: you agree with that, what (in your opinion) is and isn't okay to do
: for stray cats which will remain outdoors? I suppose spay and neuter
: is a given.

: By the way, is a neutered cat more easily driven away by a stray
: unneutered tomcat? Just curious.

While I don't intentionally let my cats out the do get out from time
to time. One was a large very aggressive cat before and after being
neutered. He enjoyed fighting for the sake of fighting and I think
made a mental list of the cats he wanted to fight if and when he managed
to sneak out. The two that I have now aren't as aggresive and when confronted
by a stray tomcat they more or less ignore it. However when growling turns
into hissing and hissing turns into fighting they're more then wiling and
able to defend themselves.

Since I'm sure your reason for asking is that you're afraid that if you neuter
a stray it will get "picked" on by other cats and not defend itself. In my
experience this is not the case.
--

-------------------

whitershadeofpale
December 11th 05, 02:43 PM
John Doe wrote:
> I've always thought that keeping a cat indoors is the only way to

Yes John, just feed them.

> By the way, is a neutered cat more easily driven away by a stray
> unneutered tomcat? Just curious.

No, a man is no less of a man if he looses his nuts

whitershadeofpale
December 11th 05, 03:11 PM
John Doe wrote:

> By the way, is a neutered cat more easily driven away by a stray
> unneutered tomcat? Just curious.

well you did say "neutered indoor"

adrenaline and cat vim is not produced in the reproduction glands.

SAY IT AGAIN!

reproduction glands.