PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cats at home while we're away

Candace
December 11th 05, 08:15 PM
Andy Social wrote:
> We'll be going away for Christmas for 3 days and have to leave our 3
> cats at home. When we've been away before, we'd just leave enough food
> down to last them a couple of days. But with our new 8 month old
> kitten she just eats everything in sight.
> Any ideas for feeding them during this period?
>
> I'm also worried about our kitten while we're away. She's only just
> started going out and using the cat flap about 2 days ago and we shut
> it off when it gets dark and keep her inside. Do you think she'll be
> okay and still be there when we return?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

I agree with everyone else. I think it's best for cats to always be
inside but I'm not intending to start that discussion up here. But you
definitely should keep them all inside while you are gone. What if one
gets hurt while outside? No one would know that it was missing. Keep
them all inside and you won't have to worry if they'll be there when
you return. Get a timed feeder, as someone else said. Or have someone
come in once a day and feed them and pay them for doing that. If the
reason your cats go outside is to go to the bathroom, then get a litter
box and put it by the door they go out. They'll understand. Keep your
cats safe so you can all have a pleasant holiday.

Candace

whitershadeofpale
December 11th 05, 10:36 PM
Candace wrote:

> I agree with everyone else. I think it's best for cats to always be
> inside but I'm not intending to start that discussion up here.

oh but you did!

I agree, the world outside is too unpredictable. kids, other larger
animamls, cars, etc...

I will probably modify my fence so they can go out there during the day
and on nice summer evenings after dark. Like during a little cookout or
something.