PDA

View Full Version : Persistant Respiratory Infection

December 11th 05, 11:03 PM
I have a four year old male cat (Borgart) whom I adopted from a local
shelter 7 days ago. He developed URI symptoms the second day I had
him. he began sneezing and I noticed very mild congestion. The biggest
sign of illness was the fact he was uninterested in food or water as
well as very tired.

I brought him to the vet on the second day and the vet prescribed an
antibiotic (zithromax) for 7 days. Poor Bogart has had a fever of
103-104 for about a week now. The sneezing subsided about a 3-4 days
ago and he is now just stuffed up. In the last 48 hours he has begun
discharging a lot of yellow/green muscous from his nose.

In the beginning I had to force feed him with a syringe. He is now
eating slightly over a can of Hill's Prescription Diet each day with my
encouragement (no force feeding, but he won't he on his own). He still
is not drinking water on his own, but the vet said I shouldn't be
concerned about dehydration as long as I get the prescription food into
him as it contains about 80% moisture.

He saw the vet 48 hours ago right around the time he began discharging
from the nose. During his last visit he tested negative for both FIV
and FELV. The vet suspects a rhinovirus (herpes infection).

Bogart finishes his antibiotics tomorrow and is still running a fever.
I have read it can take several weeks to recover from a URI, but should
the fever persist this long? How concerned should I be for the life of
Bogart if I continue ensuring he is receiving as much nutrition
possible?

If you could email me your response it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Trevor

Rhonda
December 13th 05, 05:01 PM
Trevor,

104 is a very high fever. I wonder if he should be hospitalized, poor guy.

We have had cats with URI's, but not like you are describing. One kitten
had it the worst, and she didn't eat for several days. It was so hard to
see her go through that, we had 2 vet visits for her, including a run to
an emergency vet clinic. The vets said they can develop sores in their
mouth and throat that make it difficult to swallow.

I see this was written yesterday. Is he any better today?

I would be concerned about that fever. Did the vet think your cat could
be developing something else? Pneumonia? Have you used this vet for
quite awhile and trust him/her, if not -- maybe get a second opinion if
he still has a fever today (especially since you are about to run out of
antibiotics.)

One thing we did was put the cat in the bathroom while we ran a hot
shower. It can help unplug them, at least make them a little more
comfortable. For one of our cats, I even boiled water on the stove, and
then put a towel over me and him (I held him while standing by the
stove) so we both were "steamed."

Good luck, let us know how he's doing. It's good that you're taking such
great care of your new buddy.

Rhonda

wrote:

> I have a four year old male cat (Borgart) whom I adopted from a local
> shelter 7 days ago. He developed URI symptoms the second day I had
> him. he began sneezing and I noticed very mild congestion. The biggest
> sign of illness was the fact he was uninterested in food or water as
> well as very tired.
>
> I brought him to the vet on the second day and the vet prescribed an
> antibiotic (zithromax) for 7 days. Poor Bogart has had a fever of
> 103-104 for about a week now. The sneezing subsided about a 3-4 days
> ago and he is now just stuffed up. In the last 48 hours he has begun
> discharging a lot of yellow/green muscous from his nose.
>
> In the beginning I had to force feed him with a syringe. He is now
> eating slightly over a can of Hill's Prescription Diet each day with my
> encouragement (no force feeding, but he won't he on his own). He still
> is not drinking water on his own, but the vet said I shouldn't be
> concerned about dehydration as long as I get the prescription food into
> him as it contains about 80% moisture.
>
> He saw the vet 48 hours ago right around the time he began discharging
> from the nose. During his last visit he tested negative for both FIV
> and FELV. The vet suspects a rhinovirus (herpes infection).
>
> Bogart finishes his antibiotics tomorrow and is still running a fever.
> I have read it can take several weeks to recover from a URI, but should
> the fever persist this long? How concerned should I be for the life of
> Bogart if I continue ensuring he is receiving as much nutrition
> possible?
>
> If you could email me your response it would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Trevor

doris1a
February 14th 06, 10:54 PM
BOGART'S SITUATION SOUNDS A BIT LIKE MY BEN'S. I PICKED BEN OFF THE
STREET IN NOVEMBER. HE BREATHES THROUGH HIS MOUTH, SNEEZES A LOT. HE
EATS PRETTY GOOD AND HAS PUT WEIGHT ON. VET DID IN-HOUSE BLOOD TEST
FOR LEUKEMIA AND FIP AND SAID IT WAS NEGATIVE. BEN HAS TAKEN
CLAVAMOX, CEFEDROXIL, BAYTRIL AND IS NOW ON DOXYCYCLINE. HE'S BETTER
BUT STILL HAS STUFFED UP NOSE AND DISCHARGE FROM HIS EYES. CAN
ANYBODY OUT THERE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. HE HAS BEEN ON ANTIBIOTICS FOR
MORE THAN THREE MONTHS AND IS STILL ILL, THOUGH BETTER.

THANKS A BUNCH FOR ANY ADVICE
--
I like www.npu.sk

Rhonda
February 15th 06, 03:20 AM
I wish I had some advice for you. Urn's are usually a virus and don't
respond to antibiotics. Some vets give antibiotics to clear up any
secondary infections. Since your cat has discharge from his eyes, has
the vet tried liquid eye antibiotics? The cat could have conjunctivitis.

If he does have an infection, like a sinus infection, I wonder if the
vet could culture some of the discharge and see if you are using the
right antibiotics.

If you've tried different things and the vet is out of ideas, you might
seek a second vet's opinion (it can't hurt!)

Good luck. Sounds like this kitty really needed you. He probably
wouldn't be alive now if you hadn't helped him.

Rhonda

doris1a wrote:

> BOGART'S SITUATION SOUNDS A BIT LIKE MY BEN'S. I PICKED BEN OFF THE
> STREET IN NOVEMBER. HE BREATHES THROUGH HIS MOUTH, SNEEZES A LOT. HE
> EATS PRETTY GOOD AND HAS PUT WEIGHT ON. VET DID IN-HOUSE BLOOD TEST
> FOR LEUKEMIA AND FIP AND SAID IT WAS NEGATIVE. BEN HAS TAKEN
> CLAVAMOX, CEFEDROXIL, BAYTRIL AND IS NOW ON DOXYCYCLINE. HE'S BETTER
> BUT STILL HAS STUFFED UP NOSE AND DISCHARGE FROM HIS EYES. CAN
> ANYBODY OUT THERE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. HE HAS BEEN ON ANTIBIOTICS FOR
> MORE THAN THREE MONTHS AND IS STILL ILL, THOUGH BETTER.
>
> THANKS A BUNCH FOR ANY ADVICE
> --
> I like www.npu.sk

Rhonda
February 15th 06, 03:22 AM
Sorry -- that last would should be URI's. I hit "change" when spell
check put in Urn and could not change it back! -Rhonda