PDA

View Full Version : Cat urinates on new litter mat in front of box

Mig
December 12th 05, 07:19 PM
Two middle-aged cats, one m one f, both long ago fixed, years without
any marking or similar issues. I got a new "litter buster" mat to put
in front of their box, replacing the old ratty one. The female
immediately started urinating on it, though still using the box to
defecate. No trouble with the male.

It was a rubbery mat so I got another plastic one, the same as the old
one I tossed (almost wish I'd kept it). Fresh sand, clean box, same
result: she pees on the mat first visit. When I take the mat away
there is no trouble; she won't pee on the wood floor. (But of course
sand gets all over the hall.) She will now go on newspaper or anything
else in front of the box, it seems, so I'm not sure it's a smell
problem with the mat (too much or too little). I don't want to use
Lysol or other strong-smelling things on the mat. I'm trying to just
wash it thoroughly in cold water to remove any and all smell.

It just seems odd that after years of no trouble and always going in
the box she has decided that anything next to the box is now fair
game. I suppose that's what I get for changing the mat... Any
suggestions welcome. No other behavioral changes to report, nor
dietary, etc.

Saludos, Mig

whitershadeofpale
December 12th 05, 10:16 PM
Mig wrote:
that's what I get for changing the mat... Any
> suggestions welcome. No other behavioral changes to report, nor
> dietary, etc.
>
> Saludos, Mig

she's just breaking it in
she's thinks something is wrong with her old one
(she doesn't know about walmart)

leave it there, let her break it in a little more.
or..if you still have old one...leave a little of the old
one down...over a week or so, take peices of the old one away

what else you got for me.

Mig
December 13th 05, 12:00 AM
Having a pool of urine out in the open isn't what I would consider a
solution. With the mat there she doesn't seem to ever use the box to
urinate. The old one is long gone, unfortunately. I considered
sprinkling some used sand on it but am worried that would just
encourage this behavior.

On 12 Dec 2005 13:16:48 -0800, "whitershadeofpale"
> wrote:

>Mig wrote:
> that's what I get for changing the mat... Any
>> suggestions welcome. No other behavioral changes to report, nor
>> dietary, etc.
>>
>> Saludos, Mig
>
>she's just breaking it in
>she's thinks something is wrong with her old one
>(she doesn't know about walmart)
>
>leave it there, let her break it in a little more.
>or..if you still have old one...leave a little of the old
>one down...over a week or so, take peices of the old one away
>
>what else you got for me.

Wendy
December 13th 05, 02:25 PM
"Mig" > wrote in message
> Two middle-aged cats, one m one f, both long ago fixed, years without
> any marking or similar issues. I got a new "litter buster" mat to put
> in front of their box, replacing the old ratty one. The female
> immediately started urinating on it, though still using the box to
> defecate. No trouble with the male.
>
> It was a rubbery mat so I got another plastic one, the same as the old
> one I tossed (almost wish I'd kept it). Fresh sand, clean box, same
> result: she pees on the mat first visit. When I take the mat away
> there is no trouble; she won't pee on the wood floor. (But of course
> sand gets all over the hall.) She will now go on newspaper or anything
> else in front of the box, it seems, so I'm not sure it's a smell
> problem with the mat (too much or too little). I don't want to use
> Lysol or other strong-smelling things on the mat. I'm trying to just
> wash it thoroughly in cold water to remove any and all smell.
>
> It just seems odd that after years of no trouble and always going in
> the box she has decided that anything next to the box is now fair
> game. I suppose that's what I get for changing the mat... Any
> suggestions welcome. No other behavioral changes to report, nor
> dietary, etc.
>
> Saludos, Mig

Have you tried one of the enzyme cleaners on the mat?

Maybe if you move the mat away from the box but still in the path kitty
takes when leaving the box. You'll still have to sweep up right in front of
the box but the mat will limit the amount of litter that gets tracked all
over the house. If the kitty doesn't pee on it there you can gradually move
it closer and closer until it's back in front of the box.

Wendy

chas
December 13th 05, 04:08 PM
How about put the new mat UNDER the box to start with, then gradually
pulling it out till it is all out. If she still goes on it before the mat is
fully out then put it back under the box and start again. You may have to do
this several times till she realises it's there to walk on not anything
else.

chas

Rhonda
December 13th 05, 06:05 PM
Hi Mig,

How about getting a new plastic mat? Maybe it's a smell in the rubber.
Sounds like the old plastic one did not bother her.

Rhonda